Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,768 members, 7,806,119 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:41 AM

Right Hand Drive (RHD) To Left Hand Drive (LHD) Conversion - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Right Hand Drive (RHD) To Left Hand Drive (LHD) Conversion (99793 Views)

Converting Right Hand Drive Vehicles To Left: Any Issues? / Right Hand Drive To Left Hand Drive Conversion / Beware Of Cars Converted In Nigeria From RHD To LHD! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Right Hand Drive (RHD) To Left Hand Drive (LHD) Conversion by ikeyman00(m): 9:22am On Aug 04, 2012
Re: Right Hand Drive (RHD) To Left Hand Drive (LHD) Conversion by rich007007: 10:41pm On Dec 08, 2012
ikeyman00: @@@@@@@@

to who wana listen; choice

take your car down to ladipo lagos to get it done;

london forget that side;  lipsrsealed cool

i had honda done last year nov 2009; it was done really good; really good

now emm just like most of yall in here i felt like i needed to trade on caution; i was even recommended to the man i never seen yet it was done well in lagos

the man self na pastor; he even go begin pray for u when u surface.

if anyone want his number i can source it out for u

as always the ball is on your court; well haaaaaaa for now

please give me the number really appreciate it. which Honda did you get converted ?
Re: Right Hand Drive (RHD) To Left Hand Drive (LHD) Conversion by cmax16: 2:17am On Dec 16, 2012
ikeyman00: @@@@@@@@

to who wana listen; choice

take your car down to ladipo lagos to get it done;

london forget that side;  lipsrsealed cool

i had honda done last year nov 2009; it was done really good; really good

now emm just like most of yall in here i felt like i needed to trade on caution; i was even recommended to the man i never seen yet it was done well in lagos

the man self na pastor; he even go begin pray for u when u surface.

if anyone want his number i can source it out for u

as always the ball is on your court; well haaaaaaa for now

@Ikeyman00,

oyah give us this pastor number make we shame the devil cheesy
Re: Right Hand Drive (RHD) To Left Hand Drive (LHD) Conversion by WAOAD3: 2:37pm On Apr 12, 2013
Hi Guys, I have a LT35 2002 in Lagos that I need to convert to LHD. I will appreciate your advice or better still if you can put me in contact a reliable person/converter in Lagos. Thanks.
Re: Right Hand Drive (RHD) To Left Hand Drive (LHD) Conversion by HundeyinTosin: 11:21pm On Apr 13, 2013
Hello Everyone in the house,

how much can i convert Mitsubushi Spacewagon 2001 Model? and what are the advantages and disadvantages of converting it from RHD to LHD? i also need a good mechanic's number at Ladipo. its urgent, you can also send your reply to hundeyin.tosin@hotmail.com. Thanks

I love this room men.
Re: Right Hand Drive (RHD) To Left Hand Drive (LHD) Conversion by Nicholdave(m): 8:01pm On Nov 22, 2013
So far, no one could tell exactly how much it takes to do the conversion for various cars mentioned.

I'm here seriously contemplating getting a RHD Peugeot 407 from the UK and converting it in Nigeria: how much would that cost please?

Also, I hear many stories about the issues associated with the 407 and need to confirm from Nairalanders who REALLY know.

Any objective opinion would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Re: Right Hand Drive (RHD) To Left Hand Drive (LHD) Conversion by erico2k2(m): 10:01pm On Nov 22, 2013
Nicholdave: So far, no one could tell exactly how much it takes to do the conversion for various cars mentioned.

I'm here seriously contemplating getting a RHD Peugeot 407 from the UK and converting it in Nigeria: how much would that cost please?

Also, I hear many stories about the issues associated with the 407 and need to confirm from Nairalanders who REALLY know.

Thanks.
The honest answer is this, dont try it, its a waste of time and efforet, it will take up to 4 weeks minimum to do and do you have the time to spend in Lagos? moreso it will cost you nearly 200K in all, add that money to the original cost you are as good as buying the LHD from the EU, and one disturbing issue is that you are going to lose the heater motor and the OBD11 wiring loop as the wiring is going to be re routed, I have done it before with my passsat back in 2008 never again.The o nly car which defiles this rule is the Landrover freelander.range rover sport
Re: Right Hand Drive (RHD) To Left Hand Drive (LHD) Conversion by Nicholdave(m): 10:15pm On Nov 22, 2013
erico2k2:
The honest answer is this, dont try it, its a waste of time and efforet, it will take up to 4 weeks minimum to do and do you have the time to spend in Lagos? moreso it will cost you nearly 200K in all, add that money to the original cost you are as good as buying the LHD from the EU, and one disturbing issue is that you are going to lose the heater motor and the OBD11 wiring loop as the wiring is going to be re routed, I have done it before with my passsat back in 2008 never again.The o nly car which defiles this rule is the Landrover freelander.

Thanks for your candid advise, eriko2k2.

But do you know from which source in the EU I can get a proper RHD vehicle, which country and/or website?

I generally like getting my things from abroad myself and I've been pretty successful with some items. I'd like to arrange a second car by myself without engaging needless intermediaries.

Your quick response will again be appreciated.

Thanks.
Re: Right Hand Drive (RHD) To Left Hand Drive (LHD) Conversion by djfiki: 8:51pm On Nov 23, 2013
Nicholdave: So far, no one could tell exactly how much it takes to do the conversion for various cars mentioned.

Thanks.

peugeot 407 conversions from RHD to LHD are problem free, I have seen several converted 407's that work well, u dont loose obII functionality or anyother functionality for that matter. I have 3 friends that drive converted 407's

The only problem i have noticed is that the car still refers to the right passenger seat as the driver so you get the seat belt alarm when the seat belt is not plugged in. Im not sure there is a solution to this, however for the price difference between converted and original LHD which can be from 500k to 700k, i think its not a big deal.

Wish u luck
Re: Right Hand Drive (RHD) To Left Hand Drive (LHD) Conversion by djfiki: 8:56pm On Nov 23, 2013
i forgot to mention that good conversions cost about 350K. You can get a clean 407 from the UK at about 3000 pound (750k). shipping of about 500 pounds (125k) clearing at about (150k).

Your total landing cost should be about 1.4m or slightly higher
Re: Right Hand Drive (RHD) To Left Hand Drive (LHD) Conversion by afope: 1:19am On Nov 24, 2013
Hello,

I have a toyota landcruiser 2005 model that was converted. I noticed the aircon is not cooling well at all. Any solution to this? I am in abuja, pls kindly recommebd someone that can help me fix this.

Thanks
Re: Right Hand Drive (RHD) To Left Hand Drive (LHD) Conversion by lungwun(m): 7:08am On Nov 24, 2013
djfiki: i forgot to mention that good conversions cost about 350K. You can get a clean 407 from the UK at about 3000 pound (750k). shipping of about 500 pounds (125k) clearing at about (150k).

Your total landing cost should be about 1.4m or slightly higher

Very to the point write up. However there are a couple of discrepancies.

407's can be had for as little as 1500 quid if you dont mind changing your own cogs.

Clearance of said 407 is a lot closer to 300k not 150k

i agree with all your other points conversion of a 407 is pretty easy as the master cylinder does not need to be redlocated from the right hand side to the left hand side.

Nigerians are still scared of the conversions. But i will add this little tidbit. do not skimp on conversion. this is the most important part get someone who will do it well and pay the money to have it done.

I have converted 6 cars so far, some for myself and some for friends who rode in mine and saw the level of workmanship done to them. Got several more cars on the way from blighty for friends of friends who also spread the word virally.

Good luck
Re: Right Hand Drive (RHD) To Left Hand Drive (LHD) Conversion by erico2k2(m): 7:22am On Nov 24, 2013
lungwun:

407's can be had for as little as 1500 quid if you dont mind changing your own cogs.

i agree with all your other points conversion of a 407 is pretty easy as the master cylinder does not need to be redlocated from the right hand side to the left hand side.

Nigerians are still scared of the conversions. But i will add this little tidbit. do not skimp on conversion. this is the most important part get someone who will do it well and pay the money to have it done.

I have converted 6 cars so far, some for myself and some for friends who rode in mine and saw the level of workmanship done to them. Got several more cars on the way from blighty for friends of friends who also spread the word virally.

Good luck
OK fare anough, Now tell me what you do to the heater Box, its usually bellow the Glove box as this has to be removed to make space for the pedal box and steering bracket seating.
Re: Right Hand Drive (RHD) To Left Hand Drive (LHD) Conversion by erico2k2(m): 7:27am On Nov 24, 2013
Nicholdave:

Thanks for your candid advise, eriko2k2.

But do you know from which source in the EU I can get a proper RHD vehicle, which country and/or website?

I generally like getting my things from abroad myself and I've been pretty successful with some items. I'd like to arrange a second car by myself without engaging needless intermediaries.

Your quick response will again be appreciated.

Thanks.
in teh EU that would be the UK, but however if you know anyone in France u can get the LHD for lil bit more,Bro Im telling you, guy in 9ja advocating these conversion would be people seeking Jobs, I dont see the relivance and the gains, I did convert three cars myself in ladipo and its time and effort consuming, the real winners are the Mechanics cos you are giving them jobs, if you are a dealer, the time and effort you put in it if added up as naira and kobo in Economic terms you are losing big time.
Re: Right Hand Drive (RHD) To Left Hand Drive (LHD) Conversion by erico2k2(m): 7:32am On Nov 24, 2013
djfiki:

peugeot 407 conversions from RHD to LHD are problem free, I have seen several converted 407's that work well, u dont loose obII functionality or anyother functionality for that matter. I have 3 friends that drive converted 407's

The only problem i have noticed is that the car still refers to the right passenger seat as the driver so you get the seat belt alarm when the seat belt is not plugged in. Im not sure there is a solution to this, however for the price difference between converted and original LHD which can be from 500k to 700k, i think its not a big deal.

Wish u luck

As far as its Done in ladipo you will lose the OBD11 functionality, if we where talking of German cars or Japs then you wil be lucky but the french nahh
Re: Right Hand Drive (RHD) To Left Hand Drive (LHD) Conversion by Nicholdave(m): 11:04am On Nov 24, 2013
erico2k2:
The honest answer is this, dont try it, its a waste of time and efforet, it will take up to 4 weeks minimum to do and do you have the time to spend in Lagos? moreso it will cost you nearly 200K in all, add that money to the original cost you are as good as buying the LHD from the EU, and one disturbing issue is that you are going to lose the heater motor and the OBD11 wiring loop as the wiring is going to be re routed, I have done it before with my passsat back in 2008 never again.The o nly car which defiles this rule is the Landrover freelander.
Hi erico2k2,
Please is the Landrover Freelander in the photos here same as the one you say can be gotten right all the way at conversion? I'm almost fixated on this and need to decide quickly so as to beat the January 10 effective date of the new car importation duty & levy rates.

lungwun:

Good luck

Thanks, lungwun; I see you got your facts right about the price of a nice used 407 in the UK.
Sone questions though:
1. How much for a real good conversion?
2. How long does it take?
3. Any answer to negate erico2k2's fears about the heater box under the glove compartment?
4. Any known electrical fault subsequently associated with this model?

Thanks.

Re: Right Hand Drive (RHD) To Left Hand Drive (LHD) Conversion by Nobody: 12:11pm On Nov 24, 2013
Prices of LHD cars has dropped, to the point converting a regular mainstream model from RHD to LHD is no longer financially viable. I have converted just 3 cars this year, compared to 8 this time last year. But I have sourced more LHD models from Europe - 7 this year, compared to 3 this time last year.

Times are changing. That said, the series 1 Landrover Freelander I convert for very little money.
Re: Right Hand Drive (RHD) To Left Hand Drive (LHD) Conversion by lungwun(m): 6:19pm On Nov 24, 2013
erico2k2:
OK fare anough, Now tell me what you do to the heater Box, its usually bellow the Glove box as this has to be removed to make space for the pedal box and steering bracket seating.

Hi Erico, I am not a converter so I have no idea what they do to the heater box. I am guessing it will be switched over to the other side.
Re: Right Hand Drive (RHD) To Left Hand Drive (LHD) Conversion by lungwun(m): 6:26pm On Nov 24, 2013
Nicholdave:
Hi erico2k2,

Thanks, lungwun; I see you got your facts right about the price of a nice used 407 in the UK.
Sone questions though:
3. Any answer to negate erico2k2's fears about the heater box under the glove compartment?

Thanks.

Good conversion varies from model to model. I have had converted 2 53 reg Honda accords and they set me back 250k each.

Both accords had their heating moved from the left to the right and work flawlessly.

The Peugeot will be more expensive due to the monopolization of spare parts by PAN.

I have no idea on the cost of conversion of the freelander but if I remember correctly, that car was quite problematic.
Re: Right Hand Drive (RHD) To Left Hand Drive (LHD) Conversion by Nobody: 6:27pm On Nov 24, 2013
lungwun:

Hi Erico, I am not a converter so I have no idea what they do to the heater box. I am guessing it will be switched over to the other side.

It can't be switched over. It will require a LHD HVAC assembly, which is a mirror image of the RHD unit.
Re: Right Hand Drive (RHD) To Left Hand Drive (LHD) Conversion by lungwun(m): 6:40pm On Nov 24, 2013
Siena:

It can't be switched over. It will require a LHD HVAC assembly, which is a mirror image of the RHD unit.

Nicholdave there you have it - your answer.

Siena hath thusly spoken.
Re: Right Hand Drive (RHD) To Left Hand Drive (LHD) Conversion by Nicholdave(m): 10:28pm On Nov 24, 2013
Siena: Prices of LHD cars has dropped, to the point converting a regular mainstream model from RHD to LHD is no longer financially viable. I have converted just 3 cars this year, compared to 8 this time last year. But I have sourced more LHD models from Europe - 7 this year, compared to 3 this time last year.

Times are changing. That said, the series 1 Landrover Freelander I convert for very little money.

Thanks for the stats, Siena. Though I still find a conversion plan more affordable.

I however wouldn't mind a reference to a good EU non-UK trusted site where I can shop for a good LHD vehicle of choice to ship in for private use; with a kid now, I need to leave my 5 year old brand new-bought Hyundai Accent for the wife and get myself another.

All of that said, how much do you convert the Freelander, how long does it take and is it done from the UK? I must say I have a tight budget though, but would pay for a premium conversion.

Tried to inbox you to contact me, but no response from you yet.
Re: Right Hand Drive (RHD) To Left Hand Drive (LHD) Conversion by erico2k2(m): 1:55pm On Nov 25, 2013
lungwun:

No my friend, it cant be switched cos there is a left n right sides, but if you do manage to get one from a LHD car ur price would go up and it wont make sence.And if U dnt get the heater box working it means you have lost ur dimistifyer
Re: Right Hand Drive (RHD) To Left Hand Drive (LHD) Conversion by erico2k2(m): 2:01pm On Nov 25, 2013
lungwun:

Good conversion varies from model to model. I have had converted 2 53 reg Honda accords and they set me back 250k each.

Both accords had their heating moved from the left to the right and work flawlessly.

The Peugeot will be more expensive due to the monopolization of spare parts by PAN.

I have no idea on the cost of conversion of the freelander but if I remember correctly, that car was quite problematic.
Bro I do nt mean to dis you but no need lying to conffer ur knowledge, however, I stand to be corrected you can never ever switch the heater box as these have L and R shapes, there would be limited leg space for the front passanger, the only way round this is like waht seinna said a full conversion with OME Box, ie Buy a LHD Heater box.I did convert honders at ladipo 2008 to 20011 so I know what Im chatting about.
Re: Right Hand Drive (RHD) To Left Hand Drive (LHD) Conversion by erico2k2(m): 2:04pm On Nov 25, 2013
Nicholdave:
Hi erico2k2,
Please is the Landrover Freelander in the photos here same as the one you say can be gotten right all the way at conversion? I'm almost fixated on this and need to decide quickly so as to beat the January 10 effective date of the new car importation duty & levy rates.

Yes its that one, as a matter of fact this is the only car you can convert at meaningfull cost from the Uk, it takes just a week to do and its a matter of switching, I even thinkg you dont need to switch the rack cos this one is that easy.But who ever does it for you should get a LHD wiper motor for you v important as some sharp practices take advantages of novis.

Sone questions though:

Thanks.
Re: Right Hand Drive (RHD) To Left Hand Drive (LHD) Conversion by lungwun(m): 3:21pm On Nov 25, 2013
erico2k2:
Bro I do nt mean to dis you but no need lying to conffer ur knowledge, however, I stand to be corrected you can never ever switch the heater box as these have L and R shapes, there would be limited leg space for the front passanger, the only way round this is like waht seinna said a full conversion with OME Box, ie Buy a LHD Heater box.I did convert honders at ladipo 2008 to 20011 so I know what Im chatting about.

Bro I never expressly stated I had any knowledge on conversion all I did was refer to the fact that I have had several cars converter for me. As I stated in the post I quoted below

lungwun:

To which Siena stepped in and put me right. All I said regarding the actual conversion of cars up to the point Siena corrected me was plain conjecture.

To even insinuate I'm lying is borderline ridiculous and insultive. What would be my motivation for lying?

The mind, baffles!

If you go over to this thread, you will see examples of 2 cars I have had converted and priced to sell.
https://www.nairaland.com/1407619/2003-european-honda-accord-sport

And this is another thread where i discussed about the merits of converting a weekend car in which Siena participated and gave his input
https://www.nairaland.com/1418746/rhd-audi-468-weekend-driver
Re: Right Hand Drive (RHD) To Left Hand Drive (LHD) Conversion by erico2k2(m): 7:11pm On Nov 25, 2013
lungwun:

Bro I never expressly stated I had any knowledge on conversion all I did was refer to the fact that I have had several cars converter for me. As I stated in the post I quoted below

To which Siena stepped in and put me right. All I said regarding the actual conversion of cars up to the point Siena corrected me was plain conjecture.

To even insinuate I'm lying is borderline ridiculous and insultive. What would be my motivation for lying?

The mind, baffles!

If you go over to this thread, you will see examples of 2 cars I have had converted and priced to sell.
https://www.nairaland.com/1407619/2003-european-honda-accord-sport

And this is another thread where i discussed about the merits of converting a weekend car in which Siena participated and gave his input
https://www.nairaland.com/1418746/rhd-audi-468-weekend-driver

Ok Im sorry, its out of order for me to call you a liar,this is not a true reflection of whom I am,I did not take into account we where on same page as regards switching the heater Box.I started this RHD to LHD convertion 2007 when I wanted seina to do my VW passat for me, I was the one advocating for this but after all them years is it worth it? especialy when me and you know the price of Auto trans in the EU is twice the price in the USA,I dont bother these days, I just buy from the USA.
Re: Right Hand Drive (RHD) To Left Hand Drive (LHD) Conversion by steveyen(m): 9:21pm On Jan 05, 2014
I'm abt payin for a right hand drive Nissan Almera 2002 model liftback manual transmission.

pls I need ur expertise on how much it will cost and whether it's possible 2 do d conversion here neatly in Nigeria. Will d dashboard be available. And if possible where can one get a reputable autotechnician 4 d work.

Pls kindly offer me your advice.

Regards

Re: Right Hand Drive (RHD) To Left Hand Drive (LHD) Conversion by Adebayo1976: 1:29pm On Jul 27, 2014
Hi Nicholdave, I read some of your posts, if I can help and advise you, I bought RHD Land Rover Freelander 2003 old shape 1.8 petrol with Air Conditioning, and car was converted from RHD to LHD 3 years ago!! And car drivin to today and everything works perfectly. Conversion cost me 750 pounds + travel and collection of the car. all closed at 820 pounds. But it was worth it!!! Very nicely, very safely done. Air conditioning cools very well to today, power steering works very well. New original LHD dashmats (set of 3 rubber on top of the dashboard), Silence on the front bulkhead a wall. Electrical works without problems. car drivin very well, if you had unpleasant experiences with other garages which made your cars bad conversion or bought cars, in which, half the stuff was not working, or not working properly. I recommend you this person is called Daniel and lives in Buckingham near Milton Keynes, Very easy to reach from London Euston only 30 min. to Milton Keynes and ticket cost £ 12 one way, I know that this person sells ready LHD Freelanders, Some of my friends bought cars from him and everyone is happy. I have a phone number to him, If anyone is interested please write on my email. adebayo31121976@gmail.com
Re: Right Hand Drive (RHD) To Left Hand Drive (LHD) Conversion by Medukarage(m): 1:12pm On Oct 10, 2017
Hello, I am currently using a baby honda and just got a good offer for a BMW 3 series 2004. the issue is the car is a right hand drive and would need a conversion to LHD. I am also concerned with possible issues that may arise from using a beemer cause as I here maintenance and parts are not so cheap compared to honda and toyota.

I just want a honest review from someone who has done a conversion before on the maintenance of the car and performance after the conversion has been done .
Re: Right Hand Drive (RHD) To Left Hand Drive (LHD) Conversion by lungwun(m): 3:19pm On Oct 10, 2017
Medukarage:
Hello, I am currently using a baby honda and just got a good offer for a BMW 3 series 2004. the issue is the car is a right hand drive and would need a conversion to LHD. I am also concerned with possible issues that may arise from using a beemer cause as I here maintenance and parts are not so cheap compared to honda and toyota.

I just want a honest review from someone who has done a conversion before on the maintenance of the car and performance after the conversion has been done .

Get the right person to do it and there are no issues at all.
I used to own a converted E46
Re: Right Hand Drive (RHD) To Left Hand Drive (LHD) Conversion by chukala: 11:26am On Oct 22, 2017
Hello Everyone,

Can anyone help with contact to change an Audi tts from RHD to LHD.

Also has anyone done such in time past, any effects?

I want to be sure a right venture.

Regards

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

SUV Made By Innoson Motors (Pictures) / In 2040, You May Drive A Car That Looks Like This (Photos) / Can One Ever Jumpstart An Automatic Car Just Like A Manual Car?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.