Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,295 members, 7,808,003 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:18 AM

Pictures & Characteristics Of The Dead Sea - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pictures & Characteristics Of The Dead Sea (29775 Views)

12 Nigerians, Ghanaians Thrown Into Sea ‘for Being Christian’ / 8 Characteristics Of A Virtuous Woman... / Characteristics Of A True Prophet Of God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pictures & Characteristics Of The Dead Sea by DonaldGenes(m): 10:12am On Feb 17, 2013
Probably some of yo'haven't heard about the dead sea,then its time for all of us to worship God,He is absolutely amazing,in this sea,nothing lives in it,its sooo salty,you can even do sit-ups on the sea and you can't be drown!that's one of secret wonders of God's work

Names of the Sea
Known in the Bible as the "Salt Sea" or the "Sea of the Arabah," this inland body of water is appropriately named because its high mineral content allows nothing to live in its waters. Other post-biblical names for the Dead Sea include the "Sea of Sodom," the "Sea of Lot," the "Sea of Asphalt" and the "Stinking Sea." In the Crusader period, it was sometimes called the "Devil's Sea." All of these names reflect something of the nature of this lake.

Biblical Period
The Dead Sea, unlike the Sea of Galilee to the north, does not figure prominently in the biblical narratives. Its most important role was as a barrier, blocking traffic to Judah from the east. An advancing army of Ammonites and Moabites apparently crossed a shallow part of the Dead Sea on their way to attack King Jehoshaphat (2 Chr 20). Ezekiel has prophesied that one day the Dead Sea will be fresh water and fishermen will spread their nets along the shore.

Lowest Point
The Dead Sea is located in the Syro-African Rift, a 4000-mile fault line in the earth's crust. The lowest point of dry land on earth is the shoreline of the Dead Sea at 1300 feet below sea level. That the lake is at the lowest point means that water does not drain from this lake. Daily 7 million tons of water evaporate but the minerals remain, causing the salt content to increase. Figures for the Dead Sea's salinity today range from 26-35%.

Mineral-Rich
Nearly ten times as salty as the world's oceans and twice as saline as the Great Salt Lake in Utah, the Dead Sea is rich with minerals. The Dead Sea Works company on the southwest side of the lake employs 1600 people around the clock to harvest the valuable minerals from the water. Potash is the most valuable of those extracted today and is used in the manufacture of fertilizer. The best article on the minerals in the Dead Sea is in the Encyclopedia Britannica.

Healthy Water
The unique concentration of the Dead Sea waters has long been known to have medicinal value. Aristotle, Queen of Sheba, King Solomon and Cleopatra were all familiar with this and modern doctors as well often prescribe patients with skin ailments to soak in the waters of the Dead Sea. Because of the dropping level of the Dead Sea, the southern end is no longer under water, except for that which is channeled by aqueducts for the purpose of extracting minerals.

http://www.bibleplaces.com/deadsea.htm
http://www.trekearth.com/gallery?sort=views&l=city&filter=Dead_Sea

9 Likes

Re: Pictures & Characteristics Of The Dead Sea by pastie(m): 10:24am On Feb 17, 2013
Praise the lord cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Pictures & Characteristics Of The Dead Sea by DonaldGenes(m): 10:48am On Feb 17, 2013
pastie: Praise the lord cheesy
Hallelujah

1 Like

Re: Pictures & Characteristics Of The Dead Sea by DonaldGenes(m): 11:02am On Feb 17, 2013
Check that

Re: Pictures & Characteristics Of The Dead Sea by vanstanzy(m): 11:48am On Feb 17, 2013
*Surprised!* shocked shocked shocked @op, Thanks for the 411 mehn. I just hope pagan 9ja and his fellow

pagan goons don't come to this thread to spoil the fun. They are known spoilers na! Anyways, i gotta see this wonder for

myself.
Re: Pictures & Characteristics Of The Dead Sea by watchindelta(m): 11:55am On Feb 17, 2013
i luv this chai let Jah be praised
Re: Pictures & Characteristics Of The Dead Sea by Winneygirl(f): 11:56am On Feb 17, 2013
I read somewhere that the Dead Sea and the Sea of Galilee are both supplied by River Jordan.

Yet there's so much difference in these 2 seas. Life thriving in and around d Sea of Galilee, and no life in the Dead sea.

Y dis difference if they are supplied by the same Jordan?
Re: Pictures & Characteristics Of The Dead Sea by purpinkx(m): 11:57am On Feb 17, 2013
Donalð Genes: Sea of Asphalt

cheesycheesycheesycheesycheesy
Re: Pictures & Characteristics Of The Dead Sea by THEPOLY11: 11:57am On Feb 17, 2013
THIS IS WONDERFUL OOOOO , ALL PRAISES TO THE ONE AND ONLY YAHWEH...... I PRAISE HIM AND I WILL FOREVER PRAISE HIS HOLY IN JESUS NAME .

GOD IS WONDERFUL AND THE EARTH FULL OF HIS WONDERS.

7 Likes

Re: Pictures & Characteristics Of The Dead Sea by W3xy1(m): 11:58am On Feb 17, 2013
great
Re: Pictures & Characteristics Of The Dead Sea by vanstanzy(m): 12:00pm On Feb 17, 2013
Winneygirl: I read somewhere that the Dead Sea and the Sea of Galilee are both supplied by River Jordan.

Yet there's so much difference in these 2 seas. Life thriving in and around d Sea of Galilee, and no life in the Dead sea.

Y dis difference if they are supplied by the same Jordan?

Read the piece, and u'll understand that the plenty mineral content in the Dead sea doesn't allow life to thrive. smiley smiley
Re: Pictures & Characteristics Of The Dead Sea by ISBLIAC(m): 12:01pm On Feb 17, 2013
Sit ups in the dead sea shocked shocked shocked ....sounds like an easy way to get 6packs cheesy cheesy cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Pictures & Characteristics Of The Dead Sea by ISBLIAC(m): 12:02pm On Feb 17, 2013
Sit ups in the dead sea shocked shocked shocked ....sounds like an easy way to get 6packs cheesy cheesy cheesy
LET SOMEBODY SHOUT HALLELUJAH(baba Adeboyes voice)
Re: Pictures & Characteristics Of The Dead Sea by hafsatbaby: 12:06pm On Feb 17, 2013
Allahu Akbar ##Allah is Great,The creator of the heaven and earth..

18 Likes

Re: Pictures & Characteristics Of The Dead Sea by mtchewww(m): 12:08pm On Feb 17, 2013
I don't get it...
What kind of force or element is in the dead sea that enables one not to drown while "sitting" on it? undecided
Re: Pictures & Characteristics Of The Dead Sea by Nuzo1(m): 12:10pm On Feb 17, 2013
Re: Pictures & Characteristics Of The Dead Sea by Okworigeorge(m): 12:10pm On Feb 17, 2013
ISBLIAC: Sit ups in the dead sea shocked shocked shocked ....sounds like an easy way to get 6packs cheesy cheesy cheesy
....no b only 6paks, na 16 paks u go get
Re: Pictures & Characteristics Of The Dead Sea by Gabrielsylar(m): 12:11pm On Feb 17, 2013
pastie: Praise the lord cheesy
for reallll!!!!
Re: Pictures & Characteristics Of The Dead Sea by Regiblinkz(m): 12:11pm On Feb 17, 2013
Should I jump or kneel cuz of this

1 Like

Re: Pictures & Characteristics Of The Dead Sea by Nuzo1(m): 12:12pm On Feb 17, 2013
Do folks float on the sea without any swimming aide?

Cos aside from that, I've seen loads of wonderful senery in my state....including a lake that heals people.

1 Like

Re: Pictures & Characteristics Of The Dead Sea by LaBonito(f): 12:13pm On Feb 17, 2013
Nothing person no go see for dis nairaland
Re: Pictures & Characteristics Of The Dead Sea by Okworigeorge(m): 12:13pm On Feb 17, 2013
Regiblinkz: Should I jump or kneel cuz of this
....no, beg 4 ur sins 2b 4given.... GOD IS GREAT

1 Like

Re: Pictures & Characteristics Of The Dead Sea by Okworigeorge(m): 12:15pm On Feb 17, 2013
UP JESUS.....
Gabriel_sylar: for reallll!!!!
Re: Pictures & Characteristics Of The Dead Sea by obi4eze(m): 12:17pm On Feb 17, 2013
To God be the glory. OP thanks for the info. God bless u real good. Thanks again.
Re: Pictures & Characteristics Of The Dead Sea by Agrika: 12:19pm On Feb 17, 2013
So?
Re: Pictures & Characteristics Of The Dead Sea by Nobody: 12:21pm On Feb 17, 2013
Booking here
Re: Pictures & Characteristics Of The Dead Sea by OkikiOluwa1(m): 12:25pm On Feb 17, 2013
Still can't believe that one can float on the dead sea. I need to see for myself.
God is great.
Re: Pictures & Characteristics Of The Dead Sea by Originalsly: 12:26pm On Feb 17, 2013
A friend brought me a bottle of Dead Sea water...I could only manage to taste hmmm...half of a drop...it is wayyy past salty...I would say very very bitter with loads of salt. No wonder nothing lives there.
Re: Pictures & Characteristics Of The Dead Sea by dulphines: 12:26pm On Feb 17, 2013
@OP, u mean that stones like me wouldn't sink/drown if thrown into the dead sea? If yes, then i'm going on vacation there. Where's my swimming trunk?
Re: Pictures & Characteristics Of The Dead Sea by Temismith(f): 12:31pm On Feb 17, 2013
God be praised

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Biblical Evidence To Backup The Non-use Of Earrings By The Female Gender / Ex-Mad Woman Becomes Choir Mistress After 35 Years Of Insanity (photo) / Teacher Arrested In Sudan Over A Bear Named Muhammad.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.