Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,646 members, 7,801,880 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:33 AM

Patrick Obahiagbon: The Heights Of Nigerian Verbosity - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Patrick Obahiagbon: The Heights Of Nigerian Verbosity (15070 Views)

Patrick Obahiagbon Speaks About Buhari's Alleged "Sluggishness" / Patrick Obahiagbon Praises Zahra Buhari On Twitter / JONATHAN'S DECLARATION ; The Heights Of Apc's Hypocrisy.. . (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Patrick Obahiagbon: The Heights Of Nigerian Verbosity by doyin13(m): 2:03pm On Mar 14, 2008
4play. . . . . .I thought I had seen it all

but I had the pleasure of seeing this legislator on AIT and I have been hooked since.

The man is a marvel and true to Nigerian norms, he has been given a nom de guerre(I dey try na)-------------

IGODO MEGODO.

Classic is his warning to his fellow legislators against 'BIG STOUTING, SUYAING, BIG STOUTING AND PEPPERSOUPING'

GOD BLESS NIGERIA

I wish I could embed the video below, but trust me it is well worth watching. . . . .Your patience would be well rewarded.
The video proper starts about twenty seconds in. It does work.

Re: Patrick Obahiagbon: The Heights Of Nigerian Verbosity by 4Play(m): 2:36pm On Mar 14, 2008
I couldn't bear to listen,first few seconds were too much for me.

The key thing is,if the words he uses actually makes sense and are the first words that comes up in his head,then fair enough. grin

I remember my Law Dean,he had too many pauses in his speeches as you could sense he was trying to recollect the most bombastic sounding word. grin

This legislator's case is more likely a case of logorrhoea
Re: Patrick Obahiagbon: The Heights Of Nigerian Verbosity by SkyBlue1: 2:44pm On Mar 14, 2008
Wow, i couldn't help but physically cringe, how self indulgent was that? I don't know who was worse, the Journalist for sucking up to him and letting him indulge in himself like that instead of asking him questions about serious issues, or him for saying a lot and using that big grammar but on closer inspection actually saying nothing worthy of note. I hope that is not how all journalists in Nigeria interview people, i.e giving people in power a pat on the back for doing nothing and not actually asking them critical or criticising questions, i mean, that could as well have been a paid advert, LOL. And i genuinely do hope not all the speakers are like him too. What a wasted opportunity, if i was the person interviewing that guy would have gotten some real questions.
Re: Patrick Obahiagbon: The Heights Of Nigerian Verbosity by Germannig: 3:11pm On Mar 14, 2008
Apparently, the man displays a bit of clownishness like saying ''Overgasted'' and ''flaberwhelmed''. These are childish coinages which he certainly knows are grammatically incorrect. I think the man just feels overly cool teasing his fellow house members with both intentionally faked and correct English vocabulary.
Re: Patrick Obahiagbon: The Heights Of Nigerian Verbosity by 4Play(m): 3:18pm On Mar 14, 2008
Is that really him speaking or just a "voice over" ? grin
Re: Patrick Obahiagbon: The Heights Of Nigerian Verbosity by doyin13(m): 3:32pm On Mar 14, 2008
Honorable Obahiagbon is currently sitting on the House Commitee for Power
and he seems to have responsibility for summing up the Panel's suspicions or feelings.

And he has been on form. . . .

I don't care what his detractors say. . . . .but the man deserves a show on TV.

@Germanning
Like he said. . . .'in the words of Peter Pan'

In fact he reminds me of our esteemed Student Union Leaders, the Arogundade's and Fashayo's of this world.
People who can oratorically uplift a crowd.

I say more grease for his well worn Dictionary grin grin
Re: Patrick Obahiagbon: The Heights Of Nigerian Verbosity by Nobody: 3:43pm On Mar 14, 2008
4 Play:

Is that really him speaking or just a "voice over" ? grin

Anybody would notice that it was just a "voice over"--------- - - though not too different from how average Nigerian politicians talk tongue
Nice work poster grin
Re: Patrick Obahiagbon: The Heights Of Nigerian Verbosity by lewa(m): 4:00pm On Mar 14, 2008
Verbosity indeed! grin
Laughed my head silly, cavorting,parliamentary modus operandi, legislative ts.parliamentary Is, suya(ing), stout(ing)
So far work gets done, i am indifferent
Re: Patrick Obahiagbon: The Heights Of Nigerian Verbosity by oldie(m): 4:02pm On Mar 14, 2008
He is an Mbadiwe wannabe!
Re: Patrick Obahiagbon: The Heights Of Nigerian Verbosity by bawomolo(m): 4:12pm On Mar 14, 2008
nigerian senators/representatives need a reality show
Re: Patrick Obahiagbon: The Heights Of Nigerian Verbosity by Kobojunkie: 6:17pm On Mar 14, 2008
The dude is definitely a clown. Nigerians and their need to impress!!. LMAO!!! We are in trouble oooo!!!
Re: Patrick Obahiagbon: The Heights Of Nigerian Verbosity by doyin13(m): 9:33pm On Mar 14, 2008
Some classy chap painstaikingly transcribed the whole interview. . . . .Awesome.

Bosede: Welcome to NTA live from the national assembly… honorable Patrick Obahiagon …also known as igodo migodo. You are welcome, sir.

O: The pleasure is mine, Bosede

B: so, how are u today?

0: Very good. In a proper order. Very ready. Always ready for parliamentary work.

B: I know you were at the Edo state house of assembly. So how has your experience in the state assembly prepared you for the challenges of the national assembly?

O: Fantastic. Don’t forget I did 8 years at the Edo state house of assembly and by the grace of the don apticate of the universe, that opportunity has assisted me colossally in dotting the parliamentary “I s” and crossing the legislative “T s” and has put me in good speed for the due discharge of my parliamentary onnus probandi ……, because when you examine the relationship between parliament at the state level and parliament at the national assembly, the difference, if any, is one of a twoodledum and twidlydim, little or no difference.

The only difference of course being that, whereas in the state house of assembly you only impact on a micro pedestal plane, at the national assembly, you are talking at a macro level. So if you ask me, there is a dialogical rapport between parliament at the state level and parliament at the national level. It is one of a micro cossum in a macro cossum.

So in a nutshell, I want to say that my experience in serving as a legislator for 8 years, and my experience when I was leader of the Edo state house of assembly for 4 years, put me certainly in good speed for this assignment at the national level.

B: Is that why you have been a vibrant member of this national assembly as it were?

O: Partly yes. Partly yes. It is terra ferma for me and not terra incognita. It is familiar to me and once you were ceased of the muances of parliamentary discourse and discobolus it follows therefore that it will be familiar to you too, partly…but again, partly it is equally responsible…, for the fact that you cannot succeed as a parliamentarian if you are not cosmopolitan. You must be prepared to immerse yourself in societal dialectics for you to be able to contribute efficaciously in a utilitarian modus.

So, if you are a parliamentarian and you don’t go through the ritual of even reading newspapers, you don’t bathe yourself in the aqua of the political cross currents, then you are going to be deuced, you are going to be paralytic in your contributions. So yes, my experience in the state of assembly has been responsible for my vibrancy in one breathe. At another breathe, my desire to perpetually entrench myself in political, social and intellectual currents have equally contributed in its own stead.

B: So in essence, what challenge are you giving to your other colleagues?

O: Sactas Simplicitas. They must avoid regular big stouting , suyaing , big stouting and peppersouping. Those are not the real issues. They must be prepared to immerse themselves in societal dialectics. They must put their nose to the grind stone. Chief Obafemi Awolowo the ikene philosopher said the difference between me and my other colleagues, was that when my other colleagues are cavorting in the dark alleys, I am in my library working myself 19 to the dozen.

You cannot succeed in life if you are not disciplined. You must be puritanical in your
predisposition, you must engage in an exercise of self purification and mortification, you must engage in an exercise of self abnegation, you must engage in an exercise of spiritual emulation. You must discipline the flesh. You must conquer the flesh. You must allow the spiritual aspect of you preponderate the material aspect, especially when you have been chosen to represent the people. So that at the end of the day, you can really say: vendi, vidi, vicki

B: what is the meaning of that?

O: I came, I saw, I conquered.

B: Sir,just like I told you that you are vibrant contributor to debates on the floor of the house at times does it really bother you whether the people get to understand what you say because of those big big grammar.

O: Well, let me say that I have been maniatally bewildered, in the words of Peter Pan, “overghasted and flabberwhelmed” when I am confronted by people as to what they stigmatize as my verbabodical dimosophy gyrations .But let me use this opportunity to say that I have never set out…, I don’t deliberately set out to confuse my audience. Certain you want me to be dumb, when I talk, they just come, misuse less packadoo . I bet you don’t give what you don’t have, what I have, I give.

B: So what is your parting word to Nigerians?

O: My parting word to Nigerians is to be patient with the president of the country President, Umaru Musa Y’aradua. I appreciate that a lot of people at this time are becoming very critical in assessing the president because they believe that 8 months is enough to chart a visionary trajectory. I share those sentiments, but at the same time, let us not forget that the country was in a state of economical quagmaya, political fantasmagorie and social stupor at the time the president came on board. So I appeal to Nigerians to be a little bit patient with him.

But at the same time, I want to appeal to Mr. President to see the victory in the cause as a wake up challenge, for him to leave the position of recupensy into one of recusansy. 8 months, people should be able to say “this is the direction of Mr. President”. 8 months, people should be able to say “Mr. President’s stance for this”. There is a difference between amiability; there is a difference between decency and activism. The president must leave his position of political, and social and administrative lethargy and take the driver’s seat.

As Mr. President, he drives, and others follow. So whereas I appeal to Nigerians to be patient with him, I equally call on Mr. President to ascend the challenges of governance, and he cannot do that except he take the driver’s seat as the political do edger, the political emir of trans Jordan, and the political major dobo, the buck……
Re: Patrick Obahiagbon: The Heights Of Nigerian Verbosity by lucabrasi(m): 11:22pm On Mar 14, 2008
fink the man ll get laughed at in an international interview or outside africa but i reckon with everything going on there he s a comical respite with all the "so called serious house business" i v stayed glued to ait and the house sittings and anything involving him since the first time i heard him speak on tv and even a white fellow student finds the man funny as well even though we cant understand half of what he s saying grin
Re: Patrick Obahiagbon: The Heights Of Nigerian Verbosity by Kobojunkie: 11:32pm On Mar 14, 2008
lucabrasi:

think the man ll get laughed at in an international interview or outside africa but i reckon with everything going on there he s a comical respite with all the "so called serious house business" i v stayed glued to ait and the house sittings and anything involving him since the first time i heard him speak on tv and even a white fellow student finds the man funny as well even though we can't understand half of what he s saying grin

LMAO!!!!
Re: Patrick Obahiagbon: The Heights Of Nigerian Verbosity by topkin(m): 1:34am On Mar 15, 2008
I enjoy Patrick Obahiagbon. I first heard him in an interview on NTA, One On One. He was excellent!!! Since that time anyting that involved him, count me in, I always want to hear him speak. He is an embodiment of vocabulary and an excellent orator! He definitely makes one laugh because of his big big gramar, but trust me, u learn a lot frm him like i do. He stands as another mentor, in oratory skills, that i adore.

He is truly the Igodo Megodo (which i dnt understand) of the Nigerian Political scene. Props to him.
Re: Patrick Obahiagbon: The Heights Of Nigerian Verbosity by lucabrasi(m): 1:40am On Mar 15, 2008
top_kin:

I enjoy Patrick Obahiagbon. I first heard him in an interview on NTA, One On One. He was excellent!!! Since that time anyting that involved him, count me in, I always want to hear him speak. He is an embodiment of vocabulary and an excellent orator! He definitely makes one laugh because of his big big gramar, but trust me, u learn a lot frm him like i do. He stands as another mentor, in oratory skills, that i adore.

He is truly the Igodo Megodo (which i dnt understand) of the Nigerian Political scene. Props to him.
same here as well,but i dont agree totally wid the whole grammar thing, more like these palmwine drinkers grammar or colonial days grammar than what you ll hear in the modern world,even the english will not be caught dead with these kind of archaic grammar having said that i realli realli enjoy listening to the man and his grammar the house of reps 'll be boring without him and i think on his own he s brought soo many young ppl and so many fans to watch naij politics grin
Re: Patrick Obahiagbon: The Heights Of Nigerian Verbosity by vigasimple(m): 2:24am On Mar 15, 2008
doyin13:

[b]B: So what is your parting word to Nigerians?

O: My parting word to Nigerians is to be patient with the president of the country President, Umaru Musa Y’aradua. I appreciate that a lot of people at this time are becoming very critical in assessing the president because they believe that 8 months is enough to chart a visionary trajectory. I share those sentiments, but at the same time, let us not forget that the country was in a state of economical quagmaya, political fantasmagorie and social stupor at the time the president came on board. So I appeal to Nigerians to be a little bit patient with him.

But at the same time, I want to appeal to Mr. President to see the victory in the cause as a wake up challenge, for him to leave the position of recupensy into one of recusansy. 8 months, people should be able to say “this is the direction of Mr. President”. 8 months, people should be able to say “Mr. President’s stance for this”. There is a difference between amiability; there is a difference between decency and activism. The president must leave his position of political, and social and administrative lethargy and take the driver’s seat.

As Mr. President, he drives, and others follow. So whereas I appeal to Nigerians to be patient with him, I equally call on Mr. President to ascend the challenges of governance, and he cannot do that except he take the driver’s seat as the political do edger, the political emir of trans Jordan, and the political major dobo, the buck……
[/b]

The words in bold is the main important things rather than all his big grammar. He is showboating. And just reminded Nigerians that the NASS should be renamed National House of Comedians. They are all bunch of Jokers

And above all,  YAR A'DULL is the Executive Jester of the federation.

There is a saying ' if Someone is deceiveing me and I know it and I refused to accept that he is deceiveing me then I am a fool'.

This president like OBJ before him have no idea or the political will to do anything. We would continue to be asked to give him more time and by the end of the 4th year in office they would ask us to give him 2nd term of office and then the idea of 3rd term will start again.

If they are deceiveing me and I know it, then I should not allow myself to continue to be deceived.

I have said it number without times, it is either the President (YAR A'DULL) does not know the meaning of emergency when he was campaign just over 10 months ago about declaring state of emergency on power or he is being dishonest with Nigerians.

I will let everyone judge for themselves. We know our power needs and the costs. Budget was done at $53 per barrell of oil, today oil price is well over $106 which is more than double.

Can we not use the windfall to do our energy sector and transport network as in roads etc.

I don't belong to any political party but Shame on you PDP, NO POWER.
Re: Patrick Obahiagbon: The Heights Of Nigerian Verbosity by bawomolo(m): 5:21am On Mar 15, 2008
it's sad when people listen to nigerian politicians just for grammar. notice how igodo megodo(wtf??) didn't propose any solution to nigeria's problem. taking about visionary trajectory and omnus operandi wouldn't put food on anybody's table. rhetoric is meaningless
Re: Patrick Obahiagbon: The Heights Of Nigerian Verbosity by Nobody: 6:24am On Mar 15, 2008
bawomolo:

it's sad when people listen to nigerian politicians just for grammar. notice how igodo megodo(wtf??) didn't propose any solution to nigeria's problem. taking about visionary trajectory and omnus operandi wouldn't put food on anybody's table. rhetoric is meaningless

You will agree with me that his own kind rhetoric which is colloquial and didn't give solutions is different from that of Obama. grin
Re: Patrick Obahiagbon: The Heights Of Nigerian Verbosity by Crownvilla(m): 4:18pm On Mar 15, 2008
In my opinion the guy is a prat. He tries to force big words and latin into every sentence and can't even pronounce the simple ones. For example, during the electricity/power public hearing he said " this leaves a 'sore' taste in the mouth". For crying out loud, sour isn't exactly the hardest word on earth to pronounce!!!!!
Re: Patrick Obahiagbon: The Heights Of Nigerian Verbosity by subice(m): 8:56pm On Mar 15, 2008
Oh boy!! Couldn't understand half of what he was talking about. What purpose does the use of 'big' words serve. Talking too much and achieving little. Just like Yaradua and a lot of them in ths National Assembly.

vigasimple:

[/b]

I will let everyone judge for themselves. We know our power needs and the costs. Budget was done at $53 per barrell of oil, today oil price is well over $106 which is more than double.

Can we not use the windfall to do our energy sector and transport network as in roads etc.

Don't mind our 'leaders'. The solutions are obvious to us everyday people, but our politicians don't live in the real world and are very much detached from the people they claim to serve. I get so annoyed when I hear of people celebrating things like boreholes, which should be a basic right of all citizens.
Re: Patrick Obahiagbon: The Heights Of Nigerian Verbosity by subice(m): 8:59pm On Mar 15, 2008
Oh boy!! Couldn't understand half of what he was talking about. What purpose does the use of 'big' words serve. Talking too much and achieving little. Just like Yaradua and a lot of them in ths National Assembly.

vigasimple:

[/b]

Don't mind our 'leaders'. The solutions are obvious to us everyday people, but our politicians don't live in the real world and are very much detached from the people they claim to serve. I get so annoyed when I hear of people celebrating things like boreholes, which should be a basic right of all citizens.
Re: Patrick Obahiagbon: The Heights Of Nigerian Verbosity by doyin13(m): 9:04pm On Mar 15, 2008
Contrary to what you guys think. . . .I thought he summed up for the panel on various occassions
with no little eloquence and feeling. . . .

There seems to be fire and smoke brimming below this man

Although I wonder what he was doing while Lucky Igbinedion was looting the Edo treasury.
Re: Patrick Obahiagbon: The Heights Of Nigerian Verbosity by lucabrasi(m): 10:47pm On Mar 15, 2008
true,think the guy actually makes sense when going about the whole business in the house and the sitting its the eleyinmi of village headmaster grammar that s hillarious to me smiley

@doyin13
Although I wonder what he was doing while Lucky Igbinedion was looting the Edo treasury

where else but getting his own cut and preparing for election to fed house of assembly grin
all of them are same thing we onli get to hear these stuffs cause theres no honour amongst thieves
Re: Patrick Obahiagbon: The Heights Of Nigerian Verbosity by Ndipe(m): 1:14am On Mar 16, 2008
4play, you are very funny. Law professor pausing to come up with big words. LOLLL. Very funny.
Re: Patrick Obahiagbon: The Heights Of Nigerian Verbosity by 4Him(m): 1:11am On Mar 18, 2008
I am maniacally bewildered! grin
Re: Patrick Obahiagbon: The Heights Of Nigerian Verbosity by Reptyle(m): 10:18am On Mar 18, 2008
Re: Patrick Obahiagbon: The Heights Of Nigerian Verbosity by oderemo(m): 6:33pm On Nov 23, 2008
saw this man on ait the other day, the man is a total fool living in fools paradise, edo people should disown him. he is from planet ape.what a legislator.
Re: Patrick Obahiagbon: The Heights Of Nigerian Verbosity by blokoncept(m): 6:08pm On Nov 24, 2008
The man to me has been a source of insppiration to aspiring legislators like me. He must be commended for being vocal. He is a raputure of vocabulary.
Guys he and other house members needs our support to succeed.

discover the secret of good leadership@
www.focusmindset(dot)(dot)com
Re: Patrick Obahiagbon: The Heights Of Nigerian Verbosity by RibaduFan(m): 7:08pm On Nov 24, 2008
We say change the policies, u re heating up the polity with hot grammar, crap i say, freaking crap.

With all these verbose grammar, how come the FOI bill has not been passed. please kick the guy out and get someone one is able to speak in simple terms but effectively.
Re: Patrick Obahiagbon: The Heights Of Nigerian Verbosity by bawomolo(m): 7:22pm On Nov 24, 2008
lol classic
Re: Patrick Obahiagbon: The Heights Of Nigerian Verbosity by 4Play(m): 2:18pm On Dec 01, 2008
There is even a paper, it won the IG Nobel, on prolixity:Consequences of erudite vernacular utilized irrespective of necessity: problems with using long words needlessly by Daniel Oppenheimer.

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/112137622/abstract?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Edo Speaker Declares Lawmaker's Seat Vacant For Defecting To PDP / Presidential Debate (Jonathan Vs Buhari) To Hold On February 8 - NEDG / Comrade Adams Oshiomhole Was Not Arrested, It Is A Rumour - APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.