Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,259 members, 7,807,890 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:56 PM

Accounting And Finance Majors Discuss. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Accounting And Finance Majors Discuss. (700 Views)

Bsc In Accounting And A Bsc(ed) In Accounting And Education / Nigerian Students Generally Study The Wrong Majors At Undergrad Level / Biggest Blow Hit Lasu As Nuc Disacredit Lasu Law,accounting And 8 Others;lag Asembly Summon Vc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Accounting And Finance Majors Discuss. by pleep(m): 9:03am On Feb 18, 2013
Hey yall, i decided im going to major in accounting/finance i just want to talk to people who have chosen the same path.

How hard does it get, is it worth it? Lets post all out questions and comments here cool
Re: Accounting And Finance Majors Discuss. by abbakacici: 11:31am On Feb 18, 2013
What do want to know
Re: Accounting And Finance Majors Discuss. by pleep(m): 11:40am On Feb 18, 2013
Well first off, whats the difference between finance and accounting, and what pays more?

and i was wondering what the job opportunities look like.
Re: Accounting And Finance Majors Discuss. by Ilekokonit: 7:30pm On Mar 05, 2013
Accounting is a dead or dying career if you want to earn a comfortable living without competing with 100 people or more for just 1 job. There are simply too many qualified and unqualified accountants chasing too few jobs.

So, my advice would be to "CAREFULLY" choose a career where there is and will continue to be a skills shortage for the foreseeable future because of new discoveries and technological innovation. Also, you may want to go for a career where there are barriers to entry.

The main career choice that is business related and satisfies the above 2 criteria IN MY OPINION is Computer Science / Technology especially if you can master an "in demand" skill such as "Hard Core" programming e.g Java in all its flavours plus Unix and New Web Technologies such as .NET and Top it off with the latest Microsoft and Oracle Certifications and to keep your certifications up to date by doing the exams once new versions are released

In fact, if you master the "bolded" above to the level of a guru whereby because of your high scores on the certification exams, the software vendors such as Microdoft or Oracle list your name on their recommended Consultant website, then you will never lack a job again and you will pick and choose high paying international jobs as easy as 1-2-3 because the tables are now turned and you've got what high tech and generously paying companies want. You don't actually need a degree in computing to achieve the above. All you need is the willingness to spend 10-14 hours daily for 2-3 months on your high spec laptop with 24 Hr high speed internet connection so that you can read, practice and master the software listed above and any related ones you will come across in your online practices.

You also need some funds to buy the software and relevant textbooks approximately £30-£50 a shot and also pay for the certification exams approx £100 a shot if I am not out of date.

The expensive option is to pay a training school to train you but except you are flowing with money, the better and cheaper option is to study it in the comfort of your home because even if you get trained by a school, mastering any computer programming language STILL requires your undivided attention for upwards of 10 hours a day for 2-3 months when you are starting out. It really is the BOOTCAMP approach that pays off on the long run.

The barriers to entry that make such a lucrative career path off putting to some is the fact that not many people are willing to spend 10-14 hours daily learning software programming for 2-3 months. But it is well worth it if once you get your first job, you keep up to date with latest software releases and update your certifications by sitting the relevant exams once released.
Re: Accounting And Finance Majors Discuss. by ozoemeka(m): 9:27pm On Mar 05, 2013
pleep: Hey yall, i decided im going to major in accounting/finance i just want to talk to people who have chosen the same path.

How hard does it get, is it worth it? Lets post all out questions and comments here cool

Tough but you gotta work it out, take tutoring , meet up with classmates and study before the material in class. Do homework way ahead of time and know when to switch majors.
Re: Accounting And Finance Majors Discuss. by johnvasom: 1:40pm On Oct 04, 2021
There may be a shortage of face-to-face or maybe phone interaction but I truly like this better to avoid traditional operations whenever possible. They usually can demand from about the current information and online accounting can also deliver you with the better quality rather than traditional methods. If you want to more information about Accounting Services in Uk you can visit the site: https://planetaryaccountingandmarketing.com/accounting-services/

(1) (Reply)

Risk Or Advantage Of Buying More Than 1 Direct Entry Form / MTN Offers 20 Nigerian Kids Scholarship To Study Abroad / Nda Pg School

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.