Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,973 members, 7,806,828 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:46 AM

FWD Vs RWD: Which is Better? - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / FWD Vs RWD: Which is Better? (15605 Views)

Can FWD Drift / What Is The Advantage Of A FWD over a RWD (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FWD Vs RWD: Which is Better? by thaoriginator: 8:10pm On Feb 19, 2013
Hey yall! Pls what's the difference between the RWD and the FWD? Wht are they? Pls clarify? Thnx..
Re: FWD Vs RWD: Which is Better? by Nobody: 8:13pm On Feb 19, 2013
tha_originator: Hey yall! Pls what's the difference between the RWD and the FWD? Wht are they? Pls clarify? Thnx..
Front-wheel-drive layouts are those in which the front wheels of the vehicle are driven.
Rear-wheel drive (RWD) typically places the engine in the front of the vehicle and the driven wheels are located at the rear, a configuration known as front-engine, rear-wheel drive layout (FR layout). The front mid-engine, rear mid-engine and rear engine layouts are also used.

culled from wikipedia.
Re: FWD Vs RWD: Which is Better? by Ikenna351(m): 8:25pm On Feb 19, 2013
tha_originator: Hey yall! Pls what's the difference between the RWD and the FWD? Wht are they? Pls clarify? Thnx..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rear-wheel_drive#Rear_wheel_drive_layouts

Ikenna.
Re: FWD Vs RWD: Which is Better? by thaoriginator: 8:29pm On Feb 19, 2013
CFCfan:
Front-wheel-drive layouts are those in which the front wheels of the vehicle are driven.
Rear-wheel drive (RWD) typically places the engine in the front of the vehicle and the driven wheels are located at the rear, a configuration known as front-engine, rear-wheel drive layout (FR layout). The front mid-engine, rear mid-engine and rear engine layouts are also used.

culled from wikipedia.
thnx man. So I guess it all depends where the engine is placed?
Re: FWD Vs RWD: Which is Better? by Ikenna351(m): 8:45pm On Feb 19, 2013
tha_originator: thnx man. So I guess it all depends where the engine is placed?

Not all RWD cars have their engines in the front. Porsche 911 & VW Beetle were RWD, with their engines mounted at the rear end.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rear-wheel_drive#Rear_wheel_drive_layouts

Ikenna.
Re: FWD Vs RWD: Which is Better? by wonda26(m): 8:47pm On Feb 19, 2013
†ђe 1st day i found out some cars are FWD, i was like WTF?! I don't really like the idea, driving function and steering function on one set of wheels.. Kinda dissappointing to me esp for diz naija environment. Well, i guess everything has a reason (snow, fuel, costs etc as pointed out by u guyz). But to me, RWD remains my choice. Even nature demonstrates so in 4-legged animals.
Re: FWD Vs RWD: Which is Better? by chenu(m): 8:53pm On Feb 19, 2013
RWD is better
Re: FWD Vs RWD: Which is Better? by lurvy: 9:10pm On Feb 19, 2013
i took time to read this post up to six times but still couldnt understand what you wrote there... i think it will be better you read through ur posts before posting, this will enable others to understand you better. English communication isnt that difficult i guess.
Re: FWD Vs RWD: Which is Better? by yungboss(m): 9:15pm On Feb 19, 2013
defbond1:
Interesting. Could you please explain what 'modulated' means and what 'keep the car on the tangent' means please?
'controlled' in that, as you ease off the throttle, you COUNTER steer....to keep the car on track. Understeer seems safer, but for me it isnt all that safe. A driver could also let off on the throttle as he experiences understeer in a FWD. But i think the RWD can be better controlled in such a manner that the driver doesn't loose speed (assuming in racing world) and same time not ''flying off the tangent'', still within the track limit
Re: FWD Vs RWD: Which is Better? by yungboss(m): 9:41pm On Feb 19, 2013
Ikenna351:

There is no fun in that type. I was referring to the type you play with the pedals only. Youngboss, have you ever in a RWD car, when its stationary, turn the car front to face the face back the road it was backing before, without the 2 front tyres moving an inch? The very first day i did it, it was unintentional. I was in an open field, the engine was running, i wanted to move and turn the car quickly (to cash some fun). As i was gradually turning the steering wheel, i released the clutch and floored the throttle pedal. The car tail just pushed outward from the right until i saw myself facing the other side (opposite direction), without the front tyres moving . I didnt touch the brake pedal, nothing. The experience was so exciting that i did over and over again. Since then, i never looked back. Since then, i began to try out other stunts. That was when i realized the goodies RWD offers, other than just driving, which i never explored before then.

When it comes to stunting with a RWD, its better experienced than imagined.

Ikenna.
wow. I haven't tried it before...my car is auto, though the other is manual. But i have made a little tire smoking drift around a countinous circle- a roundabout to be precise- on a rainy night. midnite. Drove out, with a cousin of mine (he did a video on his phone, but i dont have it anymore). It was nothing more than simply accelerating and going round a circle much faster than normal speed, going about over 1080 degrees (3 x 360+ deg) on the wet surface (it made it easier), a little bit of combined oversteer and counter-steer. Was so loud and noisythat i had to stop cos i was on a security conscious zone. It was interesting, heart beats faster lol. but it wears the tires that's why i do not do it so hard...
Re: FWD Vs RWD: Which is Better? by BB013(m): 9:51pm On Feb 19, 2013
Ile-Ife:
I fly. #Wingwheeldrive grin grin grin

grin grin grin
Re: FWD Vs RWD: Which is Better? by specialguest(f): 9:55pm On Feb 19, 2013
CFCfan:

FWD stands for 'Front Wheel Drive; while RWD is 'Rear Wheel Drive'.

Thanks. Could you kindly give me examples by using car models for clarity sake because I still can't differentiate one from the other. I.e is Rav 4 a fwd or rwd?
Re: FWD Vs RWD: Which is Better? by Ikenna351(m): 10:01pm On Feb 19, 2013
yungboss:
wow. I haven't tried it before...my car is auto, though the other is manual. But i have made a little tire smoking drift around a countinous circle- a roundabout to be precise- on a rainy night. midnite. Drove out, with a cousin of mine (he did a video on his phone, but i dont have it anymore). It was nothing more than simply accelerating and going round a circle much faster than normal speed, going about over 1080 degrees (3 x 360+ deg) on the wet surface (it made it easier), a little bit of combined oversteer and counter-steer. Was so loud and noisythat i had to stop cos i was on a security conscious zone. It was interesting, heart beats faster lol. but it wears the tires that's why i do not do it so hard...

Mine was on field, untarred. Just raising dust. But that was long time ago. Now, I apply small stunts on the road sometimes while driving, when in the mood. But not in that aggressive manner anymore. Just to put smile on my face sometimes when I cant help it. Lol! Its not fault, when am pulling a stick RWD V6, which will be beckoning on me to put it in action, which she came for and love to do.

Ikenna.

1 Like

Re: FWD Vs RWD: Which is Better? by Nobody: 10:09pm On Feb 19, 2013
specialguest:

Thanks. Could you kindly give me examples by using car models for clarity sake because I still can't differentiate one from the other. I.e is Rav 4 a fwd or rwd?

The Rav 4 is a FWD; while the Jaguar XF, Lamborghini Gallardo, Rolls Royce (Phantom) etc are RWD.
Re: FWD Vs RWD: Which is Better? by yungboss(m): 10:13pm On Feb 19, 2013
Ikenna351:

Mine was on field, untarred. Just raising dust. But that was long time ago. Now, I apply small stunts on the road sometimes while driving, when in the mood. But not in that aggressive manner anymore. Just to put smile on my face sometimes when I cant help it. Lol! Its not fault, when am pulling a stick RWD V6, which will be beckoning on me to put it in action, which she came for and love to do.

Ikenna.
not anymore again, just like you do sometimes, i do it too especially when hitting corners...its interesting i must say. sorry to digress, what about your other lion? You hardly talk about it these days...
Re: FWD Vs RWD: Which is Better? by Ikenna351(m): 10:21pm On Feb 19, 2013
yungboss:
not anymore again, just like you do sometimes, i do it too especially when hitting corners...its interesting i must say. sorry to digress, what about your other lion? You hardly talk about it these days...

Sold and now with a new owner. cry cry cry

But another powerful lion is coming in soon, to join The King of the Lions. cool cool

Ikenna

1 Like

Re: FWD Vs RWD: Which is Better? by lurvy: 2:54am On Feb 20, 2013
Ikenna351:

There is no fun in that type. I was referring to the type you play with
the pedals only. Youngboss, have you ever in a RWD car, when its
stationary, turn the car front to face back the road it was backing
before, without the 2 front tyres moving an inch? The very first day i
did it, it was unintentional. I was in an open field, the engine was
running, i wanted to move and turn the car quickly (to catch some fun).
As i was gradually turning the steering wheel, i released the clutch and
floored the throttle pedal. The car tail just pushed outward from the
right until i saw myself facing the other side (opposite direction),
without the front tyres moving . I didnt touch the brake pedal, nothing.
The experience was so exciting that i did it over and over again. Since
then, i never looked back. Since then, i started trying out other
stunts. That was when i realized the goodies RWD offers, other than just
driving, which i never explored before then.

Ikenna.
I took time to read this post up to six times but still couldnt understand what you wrote there... i think it will be better you read through ur posts before posting, this will enable others to understand you better. English communication isnt that difficult i guess.
Re: FWD Vs RWD: Which is Better? by nlofficial(m): 7:06am On Feb 20, 2013
What do I call a car with Back Wheel Drive. Still RWD?
Re: FWD Vs RWD: Which is Better? by Nobody: 7:59am On Feb 20, 2013
CFCfan:

The Rav 4 is a FWD; while the Jaguar XF, Lamborghini Gallardo, Rolls Royce (Phantom) etc are RWD.

Rav4 is also available in AWD, Gallardo is available also in AWD.
Re: FWD Vs RWD: Which is Better? by Frostyzone(m): 8:18am On Feb 20, 2013
Why not ditch the two and buy yourself a four-wheel-drive?

*Joking* grin
Re: FWD Vs RWD: Which is Better? by Nobody: 8:27am On Feb 20, 2013
Imagine if the honda civic or kia rio was RWD.

FWD cars still serve their purposes. They make for light, compact cars - just for moving around.

The Car Freaks wouldn't agree though - they love to let that "Tail" slip once in a while. wink
Re: FWD Vs RWD: Which is Better? by Nobody: 8:36am On Feb 20, 2013
Ikenna351:

Not all RWD cars have their engines in the front. Porsche 911 & VW Beetle were RWD, with their engines mounted at the rear end.

Ikenna.

Which leaves me amazed. You know those seem somewhat tricky to get right. Porsche's engineers have been ingenious in figuring ways to make those "Tail Happy" cars. Definitely Intriguing.
Re: FWD Vs RWD: Which is Better? by Nobody: 10:32am On Feb 20, 2013
IMO, I think a 4WD is still the best. For me, between a FWD and RWD; RWD is much better…
Re: FWD Vs RWD: Which is Better? by infolpf: 12:41pm On Feb 20, 2013
lurvy: I took time to read this post up to six times but still couldnt understand what you wrote there... i think it will be better you read through ur posts before posting, this will enable others to understand you better. English communication isnt that difficult i guess.

Everyone else seems to understand sufficiently, perhaps the problem is you? Ikenna351 is simply expressing his passion for cars as best he can, in this case perfect Queen's english is not a prerequisite. No need for you to be rude, if you dont understand, go to a different thread!

1 Like

Re: FWD Vs RWD: Which is Better? by yungboss(m): 1:41pm On Feb 20, 2013
info@lpf:

Everyone else seems to understand sufficiently, perhaps the problem is you? Ikenna351 is simply expressing his passion for cars as best he can, in this case perfect Queen's english is not a prerequisite. No need for you to be rude, if you dont understand, go to a different thread!
bro,
i was suprised too. 'cos i understood what i read, maybe she/he didn't understand the stunt ikenna described...and thought it was an error in writing...
Re: FWD Vs RWD: Which is Better? by Demoore(m): 4:44pm On Feb 20, 2013
yungboss:
bro,
i was surprised too. 'cos i understood what i read, maybe she/he didn't understand the stunt ikenna described...and thought it was an error in writing...

I was wondering too, cause I understood everything I read quite clearly.
Re: FWD Vs RWD: Which is Better? by mikkyphp(m): 8:35pm On Feb 20, 2013
Demoore:

I was wondering too, cause I understood everything I read quite clearly.
how hard is it to deduce that Ikenna was doing doughnuts on the field with his RWD?
some people sef....#justsaying
Re: FWD Vs RWD: Which is Better? by 9icetoo(m): 6:03pm On Feb 21, 2013
The FWD maybe able to pull out of a ditch better that a RWD
[/quote]
I guess its the other way round. FWD are top heavy and gets bogged down by the weight of the engine and transmission when they get stuck. Having to steer with the same tyres u r using to get unstuck doesnt help FWD either.

1 Like

Re: FWD Vs RWD: Which is Better? by abdulkadir(m): 6:24pm On Feb 21, 2013
RWDs are fun to drive and stunt on. Ikenna ur experience remind me when i used to roll in 504 gl d doughnots, tail flippin and all dat. Dats one worry i hav with d 406.
i lost my d8 to under steer of d fwd. To enjoy d pleasure of rwd is why i am having a thot abt an MB may be a stick w202. Its goin to be fun i bliv
Re: FWD Vs RWD: Which is Better? by Ikenna351(m): 7:23pm On Feb 21, 2013
abdulkadir: RWDs are fun to drive and stunt on. Ikenna ur experience remind me when i used to roll in 504 gl d doughnots, tail flippin and all dat. Dats one worry i hav with d 406.
i lost my d8 to under steer of d fwd. To enjoy d pleasure of rwd is why i am having a thot abt an MB may be a stick w202. Its goin to be fun i bliv

Thats a big advantage RWD has over FWD car. Its very predictable when you find yourself in an understeer situation. You can always control the situation and bring it back to the normal position with throttle, unlike the FWD that will take you right into the bush. Sorry about your D8.

Ikenna.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Camry 2.2 Lovers Lounge! Come In / How To Survive If Your Vehicle Is Sinking Into A River Or Sea / Mercedes-benz Atego 1725 Firefighting Truck Unveiled In Nigeria (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.