Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,721 members, 7,805,964 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:17 AM

Buhari: 'I Will Never Quit Politics As Far As I Live' - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari: 'I Will Never Quit Politics As Far As I Live' (10018 Views)

Nigeria Economics Loses To Politics As Buhari Takes Naira Stand – Bloomberg / My Wife Went As Far Being Ready To Die With Me In 2014 - Gov Kashim Shettima / I Won’t Quit Politics Until Sustainable Democracy Is Entrenched - Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari: 'I Will Never Quit Politics As Far As I Live' by ndala(m): 9:22am On Feb 19, 2013
2015: Only death’ll stop me from contesting– Buhari Our Reporter
…Says PDP plundering nation’s wealth

From NOAH EBIJE, Kaduna

Former head of state, General Muhammadu Buhari (rtd) has said that only death will separatehim from politics and 2015 presidential contest. General Buhari who was the 2011 presidential candidate of the opposition Congress for Progressive Change (CPC) that had just merged into All Progressives Congress (APC) said as long as he lived he would never quit politics.

The three-time presidential candidate of CPC who spoke on Kaduna-based Desmin Independent Television (DITV) last weekend, which was monitored by Daily Sun added that he would willingly offer himself for the next presidential race if the APC members and his supporters decided to give him the opportunity again.

He expressed the fear that if power was not wrested from the ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in 2015, individuals under the party would plunder the nation’s resources and pocket them for personal satisfaction. He said, “on the issue of my ambition to contest the next election or not. Many people, especially from my party, arereally disturbed.

The joyful thing is that I didn’t say I quit politics. I will never quit politics as far as I live. I only said that I will not present myself to contest but my party members said they want me to remain in the race. But I said the new party will follow due process in selecting candidates right from ward level to national level. “Since I am in the new party as a member, if after consultations they include me among their aspirants I will not reject their offer. This is what I want people to know. “I want people to be patient with what we are doing now.

They should allow the merger to succeed first. I am sure the new party leaders will know those that are relevant and saleable to Nigerian electorate. I don’t want people to be too much disturbed about my political ambition. I will only abide by what my supporters say. “Malpractice during election is our major problem. My political party sued INEC after the last election because INEC was given N90 billion to conduct the election.

They assured us that they have collected those money because we were not satisfied with the conduct of the election. “We must be patient withourselves as a people. I believe in Nigeria now that we are about celebrating centenary after 100 years of being together. We must be patient with one another irrespective of tribal and religious affiliations. “We believe by the time we have good government in place we will provide jobs and security to our people. We understand Nigeria, we understand the problem facing Nigeria.

We believe with good government in place the abundance of wealth and human resources God blessed this country with will be put into use for the benefit of the people. “This is our intention and we believe it is possible. Some people painted me wrong during the past election that I am an Islamic extremist. All these were lies attributed to me and those who did that shouldn’t have done it because I was a soldier by profession.

“Seventy percent of soldiers in Nigeria when I was in the service were Christians and those under my platoon never accused me of discriminating against them on religious and tribal basis. “If we did not get a strong party that will challenge them they will end up sharing all the country’s wealth into private pockets.” This is why we believe that a strong opposition party will do well in that regards.

Politics is all about credible election and it is the only way out of our democracy which we all believe in. “1999 constitution allows political associations and it was from, the same constitution that the electoral act was removed. So our party’ motto is equity while PDP use power to the people but I am sure Nigerians know better if actually the power is in their hands.

“Most political parties mission or manifestos is to see that their citizen’s feel secure anywhere they are. They can move at any time of the day without being afraid of anything. This is what peace is all about. Another things is wealth creation whereby people particularly youths have something doing either in industries including those still in schools.

“Without peace and wealth a country will find itself in the kind of situation we found ourselves today. Any political party that was registered always promised to provide these things I mentioned. The PDP has been tested for almost 13 years now.

That is why we the opposition parties decided to come together to ensure that there is a credible election in this country. We are very much sure that with a credible election we are going to defeat them so as to provide good to our people.

“Those who have interest in politics of this country should know where we are from 2007 to date. Most Nigerians are aware of the strength of PDP from 1999 to 2007. People know that unless the opposition parties, those with representatives at states and Federal levels came together as one there is no way we can restructure Nigerian democracy.”

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/cover/2015-only-deathll-stop-me-from-contesting-buhari/

5 Likes

Re: Buhari: 'I Will Never Quit Politics As Far As I Live' by takedat(m): 9:31am On Feb 19, 2013
@Op, what a mischievous title we have here all thanks to partisan media manipulation, but I do not blame them cos they know most readers have a limited attention span!

Where in the body or heart of the reportage did he say that "death is the only thing that can stop him from contesting 2015 election?"

15 Likes

Re: Buhari: 'I Will Never Quit Politics As Far As I Live' by Chamber10(m): 9:33am On Feb 19, 2013
Oya now, let him continue contesting, who cares if he wins world record of pepetual election loser.Mtsheewm

2 Likes

Re: Buhari: 'I Will Never Quit Politics As Far As I Live' by kenneth348: 9:40am On Feb 19, 2013
The problem is that we dont kw who to trust again. We dont kw if by 2015 d incumbent party might be getting ok with there embezzle money or wether this APC is coming for the money or for the people. But who ever is coming should come with only one point agender. "Steady power suply" grin grin shocked

1 Like

Re: Buhari: 'I Will Never Quit Politics As Far As I Live' by Nobody: 9:42am On Feb 19, 2013
Thank God oh, Jonathan don win be that.

4 Likes

Re: Buhari: 'I Will Never Quit Politics As Far As I Live' by Nobody: 9:46am On Feb 19, 2013
Poor choice of topic. I wonder why people can be so mischievous.

Where did Buhari say that "only death can stop me from contesting in 2015"? Reading the content of the article, what he clearly said is that he will remain in active politics. How does that translate to contesting in 2015?

It's either the OP lacks comprehension, or (the more likely scenario) it's a deliberate act to elicit the usual hate and rancour on this forum.

12 Likes

Re: Buhari: 'I Will Never Quit Politics As Far As I Live' by Nobody: 9:55am On Feb 19, 2013
The title used by @OP comes directly from today's edition of the Sun.

Partisanship is in the eye of the beholder, I suppose cheesy

INEC Frustrated ACN/CPC 2010 Merger – Buhari

Former Military Head of State and Presidential Candidate of the Congress for Progressive Change (CPC), Gen. Muhammadu Buhari (rtd), has finally open up to the reason why the first proposed merger between his party and the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) in the build up to Presidential elections in 2011 failed.

He said, “We tried the merger in 2010 with ACN which had the majority and clout in the South-West. We set up two committees that involved our lawyers, technocrats and those that matter which led to the emergence of the new party then and the logo which we presented to INEC but they said it was late.”

The former President who was speaking at a live programme of a Kaduna based television station, Desmins Independent Television (DITV) monitored in Kaduna, said “unless the opposition parties come together as one, there is no way we can restructure Nigerian democracy.”

“We have not reached the issue of who will get what or vie which position for now. The issue ahead of us now is to form a single party. There are lots of conditions set in the electoral act of 2010 with regards to forming a new party.

“So we have to be fully prepared by bringing our logo, flags and things like that. So we have not got to issue of contestants let us agree to merger as one then other issues can come later. So our party’s motto is equity while PDP use power to the people,” he said.

The former head of state noted that “Nigerians are good in cheating, especially when he has power. That is what government is doing. During election, thugs are sent to come and snatch ballot boxes or to scare people away and later fill the boxes with already thumped ballot papers.

“We believe that there will be no credible election without having a strong opposition political party that will challenge PDP.

“At present PDP has about 23 states, including the central government. The police, judiciary and all government workers all belong to them.

“All Nigerians know what happened with regards to PHCN at the National Assembly, that of Petroleum and the Pension Scam - these events should have made Nigerians to come out to say to PDP that you are responsible for this atrocities being committed in this country.

“If we did not get a strong party that will challenge them they will end up sharing all the country’s wealth into private pockets. This is why we believe that a strong opposition party will do well in that regards. Politics is all about credible election and it is the only way out of our democracy which we all believe in.

“Our mission or manifesto is to see that the citizen’s feel secure any where they are. They can move at any time of the day without being afraid of anything. This is what peace is all about.

Another thing is wealth creation whereby people particularly youths have something doing either in industries including those still in schools.

“The PDP has been tested for almost 13 years now. That is why we the opposition parties decided to come together to ensure that there is a credible election in this country. We are very much sure that with a credible election, we are going to defeat them so as to provide goodies to our people.

“We know by the time we succeed, bringing a government that will give priority to security and things that affect the people of the country and we have a credible election we will succeed in this country,” said Buhari.

On the issue of his ambition to contest the next election, the General said, “many people especially from my party are really disturbed. The joyful thing is that I didn’t say I quit politics. I will never quite politics as far as I live. I only said that I will not present myself to contest but my party members said they want me to remain in the race. But I said the new party will follow due process in selecting candidates’ right from ward level to National level.”

“Since I am in the new party as a member, if after consultations they included me among their aspirants I will not reject their offer. This is what I want people to know.

“I want people to be patient with what we are doing now. They should allow the merger to succeed first. I am sure the new party leaders will know those that are relevant and saleable to Nigerians electorates. I don’t want people to be too much disturbed about my political ambition. I will only abide by what my supporters say

“We must be patient with ourselves as a people. I believe in Nigeria now that we are about celebrating centenary after 100 years of being together. We must be patient with one another irrespective of tribes and religious affiliations.

“We believe by the time we have good government in place we will provide jobs and security to our people. We understand Nigeria; we understand the problem facing Nigeria. We believe with good government in place the abundance of wealth and human resources God blessed this country with will be put into use for the benefit of the people,” Buhari further said.

The former President added that “some people painted me wrongly during the past election that I am an Islamic extremist. All these were lies attributed to me and those who did that shouldn’t have done it because I was a soldier by profession.”

“70 percent of soldiers in Nigeria when I was in the service were Christians and those under my Platoon never accused me of discriminating against them on religious and tribal basis,” he noted.
Source
Re: Buhari: 'I Will Never Quit Politics As Far As I Live' by PointB: 10:01am On Feb 19, 2013
Behold Buhari, the new face of Do or Die politics!

4 Likes

Re: Buhari: 'I Will Never Quit Politics As Far As I Live' by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 10:03am On Feb 19, 2013
PointB: Behold Buhari, the new face of Do or Die politics!

grin
Re: Buhari: 'I Will Never Quit Politics As Far As I Live' by jmaine: 10:09am On Feb 19, 2013

grin . . . . . . lipsrsealed
Re: Buhari: 'I Will Never Quit Politics As Far As I Live' by Nobody: 10:17am On Feb 19, 2013
Buhari's emergence will be the Funeral of APC and Political burial of ACN faction. I had hoped for a credible opposition, now my hope is lost, thank God I never swam with these regional extremists.

5 Likes

Re: Buhari: 'I Will Never Quit Politics As Far As I Live' by Ejine(m): 10:21am On Feb 19, 2013
Desperadooooooo! grin cool

2 Likes

Re: Buhari: 'I Will Never Quit Politics As Far As I Live' by takedat(m): 10:32am On Feb 19, 2013
Should we assume that some of the commenters here are dyslexic Rejoicing over what is not! Or they are those whose hearts are filled with hate, and their eyes blind to reason?

3 Likes

Re: Buhari: 'I Will Never Quit Politics As Far As I Live' by honeric01(m): 10:33am On Feb 19, 2013
[size=18pt]
take dat: @Op, what a mischievous title we have here all thanks to partisan media manipulation, but I do not blame them cos they know most readers have a limited attention span!

Where in the body or heart of this thread did he say that "death is the only thing that can stop him from contesting 2015 election?"
[/size]
Re: Buhari: 'I Will Never Quit Politics As Far As I Live' by honeric01(m): 10:34am On Feb 19, 2013
On the issue of his ambition to contest the next election, the General said, “many people especially from my party are really disturbed. The joyful thing is that I didn’t say I quit politics. I will never quite politics as far as I live. I only said that I will not present myself to contest but my party members said they want me to remain in the race. But I said the new party will follow due process in selecting candidates’ right from ward level to National level.”

“Since I am in the new party as a member, if after consultations they included me among their aspirants I will not reject their offer. This is what I want people to know.

“I want people to be patient with what we are doing now. They should allow the merger to succeed first. I am sure the new party leaders will know those that are relevant and saleable to Nigerians electorates. I don’t want people to be too much disturbed about my political ambition. I will only abide by what my supporters say

Buhari's words.

Shame to SUN and the OP.

7 Likes

Re: Buhari: 'I Will Never Quit Politics As Far As I Live' by lacasa: 10:37am On Feb 19, 2013
The Op is a PdP agent undecided

Where did he say only death will stop him contesting"??

Haba Op, u must be an unfortunate being 4u to be publishing lies on the internet angry

7 Likes

Re: Buhari: 'I Will Never Quit Politics As Far As I Live' by truth4meal(m): 10:39am On Feb 19, 2013
@seun and MOD - soon dis post will hit the frontpage with dis misleading and mischievous heading...smh. And to Op you can do better Nigerians are wiser now

6 Likes

Re: Buhari: 'I Will Never Quit Politics As Far As I Live' by Ejine(m): 10:43am On Feb 19, 2013
truth4meal: @seun and MOD - soon dis post will hit the frontpage with dis misleading and mischievous heading...smh. And to Op you can do better Nigerians are wiser now

grin grin grin grin grin
It will make the frontpage unchanged, because Nairaland needs the traffic. So just play along like I am grin

Desperadooooooooooo! grin

3 Likes

Re: Buhari: 'I Will Never Quit Politics As Far As I Live' by 9jaIhail(m): 10:44am On Feb 19, 2013

grin grin
Re: Buhari: 'I Will Never Quit Politics As Far As I Live' by truth4meal(m): 10:44am On Feb 19, 2013
honeric01: [size=18pt][/size]
and you think its the op's fault? NO! Its d pompous fault of Seun and the MOD who jettison fairness for traffic - I so believe dis garbage will make d frontpage with dis stupid heading. The last time I cried foul when another in d series of mis-titled post made the frontpage and nothing happened...I dare this garbage to make d frontpage wit dis misconstrue topic!!!

2 Likes

Re: Buhari: 'I Will Never Quit Politics As Far As I Live' by Tolexander: 10:45am On Feb 19, 2013
very confusing topic. Anyway, not the container but the content.
Wana succeed to make us believe he is imposing himself on the new party as their presidential candidate. Whereas, he just said he would be happy to submit himself if willing chosen.
But all these promises look like trying to cajole.
Re: Buhari: 'I Will Never Quit Politics As Far As I Live' by Ejine(m): 10:47am On Feb 19, 2013
@Honeric, @Truth4Meal, cut the OP some slack. He didn't change anything.

This is actually how it's written in the Sun newspaper. See for yourselves

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/cover/2015-only-deathll-stop-me-from-contesting-buhari/
Re: Buhari: 'I Will Never Quit Politics As Far As I Live' by CosaNostra: 10:55am On Feb 19, 2013
take dat: Should we assume that some of the commenters here are dyslexic Rejoicing over what is not! Or they are those whose hearts are filled with hate, and their eyes blind to reason?
Re: Buhari: 'I Will Never Quit Politics As Far As I Live' by Burger01(m): 11:13am On Feb 19, 2013
Ok. Die in politics then, it's your wish... PDP all the way.

1 Like

Re: Buhari: 'I Will Never Quit Politics As Far As I Live' by bappahman: 11:14am On Feb 19, 2013
The heading was a shock to me...the content showed class nd respect...tricks used by media nd pdp to paint the man black

5 Likes

Re: Buhari: 'I Will Never Quit Politics As Far As I Live' by Morgan1092(m): 11:16am On Feb 19, 2013
And u won't quit failing. <Full Stop> Cos u might only win if u join PDP, of whc i knw u can neva do dat.
Re: Buhari: 'I Will Never Quit Politics As Far As I Live' by Nobody: 11:17am On Feb 19, 2013
Re: Buhari: 'I Will Never Quit Politics As Far As I Live' by kingron: 11:17am On Feb 19, 2013
mr Buhari..na u sabi...i just want a Nigeria that has 24/7 light, free from corruption, fuel turns back to 65# per litre at least, indomie superpack should go back 2 50#, no Boko Haram nd dem sex hawkers shud reduce dEM price biko..#7000 per night nau imagine oo!!undecided..This is what i want...so if u like dnt quit politics.. I DONT CARE!!

5 Likes

Re: Buhari: 'I Will Never Quit Politics As Far As I Live' by Nobody: 11:18am On Feb 19, 2013
What is the problem with Buhari and presidency? We don't want him being a dictator, that is clear enough for him to understand.
Re: Buhari: 'I Will Never Quit Politics As Far As I Live' by simongonner: 11:21am On Feb 19, 2013
sai buhari..R.I.P PEOPLE DEMOLISHING PARTY

2 Likes

Re: Buhari: 'I Will Never Quit Politics As Far As I Live' by mosquitoNet(m): 11:24am On Feb 19, 2013
take dat: Should we assume that some of the commenters here are dyslexic Rejoicing over what is not! Or they are those whose hearts are filled with hate, and their eyes blind to reason?
hate, jealousy, tribalism, extremism, etc etc is their problem. If tomorrow Buhari contest and win, I hope they will all go and drink a 50 litres keg of alomo. Bloody haters!

3 Likes

Re: Buhari: 'I Will Never Quit Politics As Far As I Live' by Nobody: 11:27am On Feb 19, 2013
What is this?

I thought during his "Speech of Lamentations" he said he was done.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Wike Launches Urban Water Sector Reform - Photos / Lawal Kaita Is Dead (Photo) / The Hypocrisy Of Delta & Yoruba People Over The Case Of Nnanna Of Vanguard News

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.