Stats: 3,150,359 members, 7,808,248 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:23 AM

I Need Advice Oooooooooooo. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / I Need Advice Oooooooooooo. (1446 Views)

Please Help Me! I'm Extremely Confused & Need Advice / Need Advice From Married Couples/divorced Women / I Need Advice, I'm Seriously Lost... (2) (3) (4)

I Need Advice Oooooooooooo. by Nobody: 8:11am On Feb 20, 2013

Re: I Need Advice Oooooooooooo. by Nobody: 8:20am On Feb 20, 2013

Re: I Need Advice Oooooooooooo. by Nobody: 8:27am On Feb 20, 2013
Re: I Need Advice Oooooooooooo. by Nobody: 8:44am On Feb 20, 2013
Re: I Need Advice Oooooooooooo. by Nobody: 8:56am On Feb 20, 2013
Re: I Need Advice Oooooooooooo. by Nobody: 9:11am On Feb 20, 2013
Re: I Need Advice Oooooooooooo. by Nobody: 9:14am On Feb 20, 2013
chaircover:

Nothing good comes easy! and challenges help mould you into being able to cope in the real world. I just completed a cake decorating course and it may surprise you if I told you that I found that challenging. Cakes that some people can make with their eyes closed, but with time I will get there and so will you (The PHD I mean not cake decorating o!). They say No pain No gain.
Thanks for the inspirational talk, you should probably give motivational speaking a look in. wink
chaircover:

Nothing good comes easy! and challenges help mould you into being able to cope in the real world. I just completed a cake decorating course and it may surprise you if I told you that I found that challenging. Cakes that some people can make with their eyes closed, but with time I will get there and so will you (The PHD I mean not cake decorating o!). They say No pain No gain.
Thanks for the inspirational talk, you should probably give motivational speaking a look in.
Re: I Need Advice Oooooooooooo. by ifyalways(f): 9:36am On Feb 20, 2013
I thought you posted ta the vacancies section?I replied with some questions but suddenly the thread disappeared.
Did you see my reply yesterday?
Re: I Need Advice Oooooooooooo. by sweettease(f): 9:55am On Feb 20, 2013
@op, Nigeria is a degree-crazy nation, and if we sum up the experience you said you'v got with a PhD, mehn you wil go far in the educatnal sector considrn your age which gives you a long time before retirement age.....so a PhD is a good one, just put God first, and there will be no stopping you.
BTW since you are obsessed bout the PhD, i doubt dat you wil be settled without going for it.....so go for it, afterall its an healthy obsession
Re: I Need Advice Oooooooooooo. by Nobody: 10:05am On Feb 20, 2013
ifyalways: I thought you posted ta the vacancies section?I replied with some questions but suddenly the thread disappeared.
Did you see my reply yesterday?
You were the only person that responded by the way. I have responded to your questions too. I came here cos I didn't get enough response on that thread.
Re: I Need Advice Oooooooooooo. by greatgod2012(f): 10:26am On Feb 20, 2013
You are already obsessed about d PHD thing it is good, very good, but be prepared, nothing good comes easily, to get Phd in engineering, especially in Nigeria is not beans, i tell you, but with proper preparation and God's guidance, you shall get there.
As per going for lecturing so that it will give you time to pursue your musical passion, you are right on line, unless you want to constantly engage in contract lecturing in some other institutions, which may be at d expense of your musical calling.
I wish you all d best in all your endeavours.

Re: I Need Advice Oooooooooooo. by Nobody: 11:05am On Feb 20, 2013
greatgod2012: You are already obsessed about d PHD thing it is good, very good, but be prepared, nothing good comes easily, to get Phd in engineering, especially in Nigeria is not beans, i tell you, but with proper preparation and God's guidance, you shall get there.
As per going for lecturing so that it will give you time to pursue your musical passion, you are right on line, unless you want to constantly engage in contract lecturing in some other institutions, which may be at d expense of your musical calling.
I wish you all d best in all your endeavours.
Thanks. But just like you said , "Nor be beans o ." M.ENG sef na die we dey o.
Re: I Need Advice Oooooooooooo. by ifyalways(f): 11:06am On Feb 20, 2013
Guitar, I can't find the thread oh.

Anyways, who would finance this PHD and would it be here in Naija?
I think you should work for say 1 year, get some experience, study the Naija terrain, network with folks in your field then advance for PHD afterwards.

Questions:
How much would acquiring this doctoral degree cost and how much are you looking at earning after obtaining it?is the outcome worth the cost when compared with what you'll earn with just MSC ?
How far can your masters degree take you career wise?
Do you plan on relocating abroad to seek a career, would either of the degrees (without work experience) give you an edge?
Generally, in Naija, its a healthy competion of degree plus experience.

Me I no go talk about your passion:music. Na who chop belleful dey play guitar oh so career before hobby, IMO. cheesy

Re: I Need Advice Oooooooooooo. by Nobody: 11:17am On Feb 20, 2013
Re: I Need Advice Oooooooooooo. by greatgod2012(f): 11:19am On Feb 20, 2013
Guitarlife:
Thanks. But just like you said , "Nor be beans o ." M.ENG sef na die we dey o.

i tell you,...... so, i think you now know why i said its no beans, but when there is a wish, there is always a way.
Godluck.
Re: I Need Advice Oooooooooooo. by ifyalways(f): 11:33am On Feb 20, 2013
When you say to secure your future, I believe its finances.
At this point, may I suggest you talk with someone in same field who's passed through both stages(MSe and PHD) and still standing tall. We know as Naija be, theory no dey work here, its always "seeing is believing" ie experience. You need to know how competitive the job market is, what counts to employers and what would give you an advantage. Etc
From the comfort of my PC cheesy , I still think working a bit with your Mse is the way to go. You can play your guitar after work and weekends.
Re: I Need Advice Oooooooooooo. by Nobody: 11:38am On Feb 20, 2013
ifyalways: When you say to secure your future, I believe its finances.
At this point, may I suggest you talk with someone in same field who's passed through both stages(MSe and PHD) and still standing tall. We know as Naija be, theory no dey work here, its always "seeing is believing" ie experience. You need to know how competitive the job market is, what counts to employers and what would give you an advantage. Etc
From the comfort of my PC cheesy , I still think working a bit with your Mse is the way to go. You can play your guitar after work and weekends.
Okay quite insightful. I'm a get all hands on deck.
On a lighter note, seems Jenny, debrief and co have still not forgiven me. They ain't even touching this thread with a 10metre pole.
Abeg tell dem say as a sequel to the 2012 NL civil wars, SEUN already declared a "no victor no vanquished o" judgement o. grin grin grin
Re: I Need Advice Oooooooooooo. by baby124: 12:31pm On Feb 20, 2013
Do what you love, it will never be work to you. And you will have a more rewarding a fulfilling life. On the side you can do projects or consulting jobs for experience and some cash. You need practical as well as the theoretical experience. I think it will make you a better professor or lecturer.

Re: I Need Advice Oooooooooooo. by Nobody: 12:42pm On Feb 20, 2013
Apply for a role of Lecturer in a Nigerian University

Then do you Phd there besides you can funding through ETF for your Phd.
A lecturer role is flexible enough for you to handle all incl your music.
My cousin did the same, loves music, had baby, is a lecturer and doing Phd and she has an MSc

Re: I Need Advice Oooooooooooo. by Nobody: 1:19pm On Feb 20, 2013
salsera: Apply for a role of Lecturer in a Nigerian University

Then do you Phd there besides you can funding through ETF for your Phd.
A lecturer role is flexible enough for you to handle all incl your music.
My cousin did the same, loves music, had baby, is a lecturer and doing Phd and she has an MSc

Thanks, if not because naija nor go allow you. I'd have done music in univ. I mean it's just so easy for me and i love it but then, this is naija we'r talking about here.
Re: I Need Advice Oooooooooooo. by Nobody: 1:31pm On Feb 20, 2013
You also need money to fulfill your dream of music(money as in money you make out of your career) and i am just going to assume you know that. If I may ask, what country abroad are you looking at studying for Phd?
Re: I Need Advice Oooooooooooo. by Nobody: 1:56pm On Feb 20, 2013
okay guys, am sorry for editting this thread but there is so much going on behind the scenes. Be assured this was the right decision and thanks for your inputs. Special thanks to Ify, aunt JEnny, greatgod, babe and everybody.
Re: I Need Advice Oooooooooooo. by Nobody: 7:31pm On Feb 20, 2013
^^^^^^^^^^ Thanks y'all.

Some 'queer' Members Of My Family / The Secret To A Happy Wife / Man Divorces Wife Two Days After Marriage...his Reason Will Shock You

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61