Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,446 members, 7,808,596 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:59 PM

8-year-Old Boy Marries 61-Year-Old Woman In Zimbabwe - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 8-year-Old Boy Marries 61-Year-Old Woman In Zimbabwe (35233 Views)

Missing Pregnant Woman In Abuja Found (See Photos) / 107 Year Old Man Weds 95 Year Old Woman In Plateau / 21 Years Old Boy Marries 52 Years Old Woman (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

8-year-Old Boy Marries 61-Year-Old Woman In Zimbabwe by spywareczar(m): 8:44am On Feb 20, 2013
ABOUT 100 people were witness to a most unusual wedding at the weekend.

Now you may kiss the bride

The bride was 61 years old and the groom was an eight-year-old boy! Both families were present at the wedding of Sanele Masilela (cool and Helen Shabangu (61) and the bride's husband and her five children were also at the wedding in extension six, Mamelodi East, Tshwane.

The boy's aunt, Patience Masilela (46), explained why the wedding took place.

She said: "The boy was named after his late grandfather who never had a white wedding, so the ancestors told the boy to get married and he chose Helen to be his bride. The family took his desire to get married very seriously. They paid R7 000 lobola for the bride in March last year and spent R15 000 on the wedding because they believed it was what the ancestors wanted."

The bride said: "I'm married and have five kids of my own, but I know that this is what the ancestors wanted – and now they are happy. It is a ritual. We are just playing now, but it is a sign that he will get married one day."

The young groom said: "I told my mother that I wanted to get married because I really did want to. I chose her because I love her and I'm happy that I married her – but I will go to school and study hard. When I'm older I will marry a lady my own age."

The bride's long-time husband, Alfred Shabangu (65), said that he never had a problem with her marrying the boy because he too knew that it was what the ancestors wanted. My kids and I are happy. We don't have any problems with it," he said.

However, some community members said they were shocked.

One woman said: "How can a family go this far for the ancestors? It shows that people do take messages from the ancestors seriously."

This was a not a legal marriage – it was only done for ritual purposes. The happy couple seal their marriage with a kiss.daily sun

http://www.zimdiaspora.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=11017:boy-aged-8-marries-woman-aged-61&catid=38:travel-tips&Itemid=18

3 Likes

Re: 8-year-Old Boy Marries 61-Year-Old Woman In Zimbabwe by remecy(f): 8:53am On Feb 20, 2013
It bafos me that people still believe in ancestors in this present generation. I wish them well and hope there will be no kids involved.
Re: 8-year-Old Boy Marries 61-Year-Old Woman In Zimbabwe by sweettease(f): 9:04am On Feb 20, 2013
shocked shocked shocked Na wa Oº°˚˚
Its 2013 for cryn out loud undecided

1 Like

Re: 8-year-Old Boy Marries 61-Year-Old Woman In Zimbabwe by specialguest(f): 9:23am On Feb 20, 2013
Wonders shall never end! I can bet this kind of bizzare wedding cannot take place in Nigeria without the women's society and other groups kicking against it ( i trust my country).. I find it totally delusional that a grand mother would actually 'marry' a kid young enough to be her grand child all in the name of satisfying some idols.. Poor boy he may not know gravity of what he has gotten into.

2 Likes

Re: 8-year-Old Boy Marries 61-Year-Old Woman In Zimbabwe by Nobody: 9:31am On Feb 20, 2013
I won't believe this story!

1 Like

Re: 8-year-Old Boy Marries 61-Year-Old Woman In Zimbabwe by chymystique(f): 9:44am On Feb 20, 2013
shocked IGNORANCE SYNDROME cry

3 Likes

Re: 8-year-Old Boy Marries 61-Year-Old Woman In Zimbabwe by fairygeh(f): 9:50am On Feb 20, 2013
Wonders shall never end.i comment my reserve.erm erm,i reserve my comment undecided
Re: 8-year-Old Boy Marries 61-Year-Old Woman In Zimbabwe by Gabrielsylar(m): 9:50am On Feb 20, 2013
Dis is good.....we wish and pray zeus for more
Re: 8-year-Old Boy Marries 61-Year-Old Woman In Zimbabwe by theripper2: 9:51am On Feb 20, 2013
These ancestors or gods are child molesters. Na so dem marry wen dem dey alive abi? These backward Negros at times sef.
Re: 8-year-Old Boy Marries 61-Year-Old Woman In Zimbabwe by olu4life(m): 9:53am On Feb 20, 2013
Arrant nonsense!!!
Re: 8-year-Old Boy Marries 61-Year-Old Woman In Zimbabwe by dridowu: 9:53am On Feb 20, 2013
Odd news alwaz happen in zimbabwe

1 Like

Re: 8-year-Old Boy Marries 61-Year-Old Woman In Zimbabwe by Dermie: 9:53am On Feb 20, 2013
sweet-tease:
shocked shocked shocked Na wa Oº°˚˚
Its 2013 for cryn out loud undecided
Haba!, u dnt need 2 cry out loud.
It's not just worth it.

1 Like

Re: 8-year-Old Boy Marries 61-Year-Old Woman In Zimbabwe by Bsmartt(m): 9:54am On Feb 20, 2013
the boy already said it.'if i grow older i will marry the lady of my age'.no qualms
Re: 8-year-Old Boy Marries 61-Year-Old Woman In Zimbabwe by whealthy(m): 9:55am On Feb 20, 2013
happy married life! where the honey moon at?
Re: 8-year-Old Boy Marries 61-Year-Old Woman In Zimbabwe by IYANGBALI: 9:55am On Feb 20, 2013
remecy: It bafos me that people still believe in ancestors in this present generation. I wish them well and hope there will be no kids involved.
for where?the boy prik no reach to enter the woman,s bus now
Re: 8-year-Old Boy Marries 61-Year-Old Woman In Zimbabwe by holuwarlay08(m): 9:56am On Feb 20, 2013
just have the believe in what ever you serve as God..... if is God have a strong believe in him and if is gods you can also have ur believe in them......... but God is greater than all gods
Re: 8-year-Old Boy Marries 61-Year-Old Woman In Zimbabwe by Monichilly(f): 9:56am On Feb 20, 2013
Nawa oooooo I cant shout
Re: 8-year-Old Boy Marries 61-Year-Old Woman In Zimbabwe by Joehakins(m): 9:57am On Feb 20, 2013
Those Ancestors or whatever they call them can kiss ma black ass..Thats so crazy and its f**ked up in this modern time angry
Re: 8-year-Old Boy Marries 61-Year-Old Woman In Zimbabwe by Dermie: 9:57am On Feb 20, 2013
jammyng: I won't believe this story!
Mr., no one will force you.
Just calm down.
Re: 8-year-Old Boy Marries 61-Year-Old Woman In Zimbabwe by Nobody: 9:58am On Feb 20, 2013
Gigolo
Re: 8-year-Old Boy Marries 61-Year-Old Woman In Zimbabwe by greatgod2012(f): 9:58am On Feb 20, 2013
I dont and wont believe this, can an 8yrs old boy take a vital decision as this..........its all game.
Re: 8-year-Old Boy Marries 61-Year-Old Woman In Zimbabwe by Nobody: 9:58am On Feb 20, 2013
Before you storm in here and start cursing note the bolded

spywareczar: This was a not a legal marriage – it was only done for ritual purposes. The happy couple seal their marriage with a kiss.daily sun
Re: 8-year-Old Boy Marries 61-Year-Old Woman In Zimbabwe by vanstanzy(m): 9:59am On Feb 20, 2013
PAGAN 9JA and ifeness, come and explain this "ABSURDITY"grin grin grin. It shouldn't be difficult

for u two, as pagan fore-runners. Ancestor,s my tail feather! grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: 8-year-Old Boy Marries 61-Year-Old Woman In Zimbabwe by gen2briz(m): 10:00am On Feb 20, 2013
Re: 8-year-Old Boy Marries 61-Year-Old Woman In Zimbabwe by vanstanzy(m): 10:01am On Feb 20, 2013
How is the little lad going to "Consummate" the marriage grin grin grin grin grin What? with his lil' "weenie"

?? grin grin grin

Re: 8-year-Old Boy Marries 61-Year-Old Woman In Zimbabwe by Bryancrox(m): 10:01am On Feb 20, 2013
Pikin when say na old mama he wan marry na f*c*u*kkk go kill am...Rubbish

1 Like

Re: 8-year-Old Boy Marries 61-Year-Old Woman In Zimbabwe by Nobody: 10:02am On Feb 20, 2013
HQ: Before you storm in here and start cursing note the bolded

You might want to explain the meaning of ritual marriage to me.please don't tell me to ask google.
Re: 8-year-Old Boy Marries 61-Year-Old Woman In Zimbabwe by Nobody: 10:02am On Feb 20, 2013
Tufiakwa, ihe neme! This same Zimbabwe.Too many diabolic tales associated with it.
Re: 8-year-Old Boy Marries 61-Year-Old Woman In Zimbabwe by Okworigeorge(m): 10:02am On Feb 20, 2013
4 wat? abi d guy na d woman late husband wer reincarnate?
Re: 8-year-Old Boy Marries 61-Year-Old Woman In Zimbabwe by Nobody: 10:04am On Feb 20, 2013
Wish the Ancestors would just chose me and Meagan good or Me and Christiana Milian grin
Re: 8-year-Old Boy Marries 61-Year-Old Woman In Zimbabwe by Jerrygotswagg(m): 10:04am On Feb 20, 2013
First to comment.........yipppppi
Re: 8-year-Old Boy Marries 61-Year-Old Woman In Zimbabwe by Kaxmytex(m): 10:07am On Feb 20, 2013
[size=28pt]so,na diz smal boi go dey burst diz woman speaker?shocked[/size]

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Vure Kingsley Ovonix Names His Son After Zuckerberg. Met His Wife On Facebook / Woman Gives Birth To Baby At A Plaza In Uyo (Photos) / Beautiful Photos Of 5 Family In Matching Outfits

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.