Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,072 members, 7,807,210 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:08 AM

Rich People Who Feared Giving Their Children Money - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Rich People Who Feared Giving Their Children Money (22936 Views)

Ex Miss Cameroon Changing Her Skin To White Because Rich People Like Very Light / 16 Celebrities And Their Children (pixs) / Lalla Diakite Didier Drogba And Their Children(pix) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rich People Who Feared Giving Their Children Money by gboyetade: 8:56pm On Feb 20, 2013
Everyone's always jealous of the kid with the rich parents, but being born rich isn't always a ticket to wealth. After all, not all rich people want to leave piles of money to their children.

And why not? They fear large sums of money will spoil their offspring and ruin their work ethic. They may have a point.

After all, Kim Kardashian and In-N-Out Burger owner Lynsi Torres, both of whom had rich parents growing up, don't sport college degrees. But they sure are successful. Really, really successful.

So who is the exception and what is the rule?

Bill Gates
Microsoft founder Bill Gates, the world's second-richest man, told The Sun in 2010 that he will donate most of his money to charity and "give the kids some money but not a meaningful percentage." He said on Reddit in February: "I definitely think leaving kids massive amounts of money is not a favor to them."

Warren Buffett
Billionaire investor Warren Buffett plans to donate most of his fortune to charity. Peter Buffett, Buffett's second-oldest son, told DailyFinance in 2011 that his father "transferred values to me, and not wealth."

Ted Turner
CNN founder Ted Turner, who has donated $1 billion to the United Nations, doesn't have much money left for his kids. He told MSNBC in 2010 that he is "almost to the edge of poverty" -- that is, his net worth is only $2 billion, according to Forbes.

Steve Jobs
Steve Jobs, the late Apple CEO who revitalized the company, said in an interview with Playboy in 1985: "If you die, you certainly don’t want to leave a large amount to your children. It will just ruin their lives."

George Lucas
George Lucas, the writer-director behind the Star Wars series, doesn't plan to leave much money for his kids; he is giving most of it to charity. He wrote in a pledge letter that he is "dedicating the majority of [his] wealth to improving education" because "it is the key to the survival of the human race," according to The Wall Street Journal.

Graham Tuckwell
Graham Tuckwell, the founder and chairman of ETF Securities, who has donated $50 million to Australian National University for scholarships, told the Sydney Daily Telegraph he does not plan to give much money to his kids because "lots of money is poisonous to have." "If you just give them stuff, it almost destroys their desire to do things and you actually end up with kids who are a lot worse off." (Hat tip: CNBC.)

Steven Hayworth
Steven Hayworth, ex-CEO of Gibraltar Private Bank, told the New York Times in 2010 that he was glad his daughter was going to work at a clothing store that summer because he wanted her to learn "the value of a dollar."

www.gboyetade..com

7 Likes

Re: Rich People Who Feared Giving Their Children Money by acidtalk: 9:12pm On Feb 20, 2013

Acidtalk Spitting Fire
He is presently the worlds wealthiest man but who have always threantened Forbes List with Legal Actions if they dare put his name on their World richest ranking because in his own words, "the rating firm will highly underate my worth". He claims he will leave only less than 2% for his children which is still way above $500trillion in estimate. In his words "he fears his children having majority of his wealth will make them buy the entire planet".

Bill Gates
Microsoft founder Bill Gates, the world's second-richest man, told The Sun in 2010 that he will donate most of his money to charity and "give the kids some money but not a meaningful percentage." He said on Reddit in February: "I definitely think leaving kids massive amounts of money is not a favor to them."

Warren Buffett
Billionaire investor Warren Buffett plans to donate most of his fortune to charity. Peter Buffett, Buffett's second-oldest son, told DailyFinance in 2011 that his father "transferred values to me, and not wealth."

Ted Turner
CNN founder Ted Turner, who has donated $1 billion to the United Nations, doesn't have much money left for his kids. He told MSNBC in 2010 that he is "almost to the edge of poverty" -- that is, his net worth is only $2 billion, according to Forbes.

Steve Jobs
Steve Jobs, the late Apple CEO who revitalized the company, said in an interview with Playboy in 1985: "If you die, you certainly don’t want to leave a large amount to your children. It will just ruin their lives."

George Lucas
George Lucas, the writer-director behind the Star Wars series, doesn't plan to leave much money for his kids; he is giving most of it to charity. He wrote in a pledge letter that he is "dedicating the majority of [his] wealth to improving education" because "it is the key to the survival of the human race," according to The Wall Street Journal.

Graham Tuckwell
Graham Tuckwell, the founder and chairman of ETF Securities, who has donated $50 million to Australian National University for scholarships, told the Sydney Daily Telegraph he does not plan to give much money to his kids because "lots of money is poisonous to have." "If you just give them stuff, it almost destroys their desire to do things and you actually end up with kids who are a lot worse off." (Hat tip: CNBC.)

Steven Hayworth
Steven Hayworth, ex-CEO of Gibraltar Private Bank, told the New York Times in 2010 that he was glad his daughter was going to work at a clothing store that summer because he wanted her to learn "the value of a dollar."

What in Heavens name is my name looking for on that list again? Haven't I told this people to give me and my family the much needed privacy we crave for.

51 Likes

Re: Rich People Who Feared Giving Their Children Money by chuckdee4(m): 10:59pm On Feb 20, 2013
acidtalk:

What in Heavens name is my name looking for on that list again? Haven't I told this people to give me and my family the much needed privacy we crave for.

Ambitious joker

3 Likes

Re: Rich People Who Feared Giving Their Children Money by tellwisdom: 11:05pm On Feb 20, 2013
Lol--Acidtalk na weyrey grin
Re: Rich People Who Feared Giving Their Children Money by Nobody: 12:16am On Feb 21, 2013
tellwisdom: Lol--Acidtalk na weyrey grin

Press # to knack ur head for wall.

7 Likes

Re: Rich People Who Feared Giving Their Children Money by Nobody: 12:26am On Feb 21, 2013
I completely agree. Awoof inheritance ruins lives.
Re: Rich People Who Feared Giving Their Children Money by mysticgal(f): 12:28am On Feb 21, 2013
My Dad always says''A WISE FATHER LEAVETH INHERITANCE FOR HIS CHILDREN''but this piece is confusing.

3 Likes

Re: Rich People Who Feared Giving Their Children Money by simmydebadest(m): 12:28am On Feb 21, 2013
Still waiting 4 wale adenuga n Dangote comment
Re: Rich People Who Feared Giving Their Children Money by stonefaze: 12:30am On Feb 21, 2013
Acidtalk nice1 grin grin grin
Re: Rich People Who Feared Giving Their Children Money by sydneyobioha(m): 12:30am On Feb 21, 2013
embarassedNo comment yet until i finish laying on my girlfriend tonight..
Re: Rich People Who Feared Giving Their Children Money by patholaw: 12:31am On Feb 21, 2013
If my father try am...we go die there grin

2 Likes

Re: Rich People Who Feared Giving Their Children Money by Henryogasele: 12:32am On Feb 21, 2013
Richfella: I completely agree. Awoof inheritance ruins lives.
awuff inheritance saves time!

12 Likes

Re: Rich People Who Feared Giving Their Children Money by braine(m): 12:32am On Feb 21, 2013
gboyetade:

Ted Turner

At the edge of poverty with $2billion.. Wow!

So if he's gonna be rich nko?

2 Likes

Re: Rich People Who Feared Giving Their Children Money by dare2think: 12:32am On Feb 21, 2013
Nigerian billionaires beg to differ!!!

kiss
Re: Rich People Who Feared Giving Their Children Money by chucky234(m): 12:34am On Feb 21, 2013
When Bill Gate said he would leave some money for the kids he wasn't talking about N2m,that little money can be as much as $20m.
They are all jokers

6 Likes

Re: Rich People Who Feared Giving Their Children Money by AZeD1(m): 12:37am On Feb 21, 2013
Acidtalk you don go buy that thing from mama Nkechi again?
Re: Rich People Who Feared Giving Their Children Money by Nobody: 12:39am On Feb 21, 2013
night walkers. Una no dey sleep?
Re: Rich People Who Feared Giving Their Children Money by chucky234(m): 12:39am On Feb 21, 2013
patholaw: If my father try am...we go die there grin
Your father get savings account,abi na dat Micro finance bank account wey him manage save 20k you wan inherit.
You better shut up wen better people dey discuss real money and inheritance

3 Likes

Re: Rich People Who Feared Giving Their Children Money by Nobody: 12:42am On Feb 21, 2013

3 Likes

Re: Rich People Who Feared Giving Their Children Money by braine(m): 12:42am On Feb 21, 2013
acidtalk:

Classic! Lol,
Re: Rich People Who Feared Giving Their Children Money by gluv01(f): 12:43am On Feb 21, 2013
mysticgal: My Dad always says''A WISE FATHER LEAVETH INHERITANCE FOR HIS CHILDREN''but this piece is confusing.

True....But a wise father who knows the value of a penny and how he came by it, surely must know that leaving so much inheritance isn't the best.

You give them something good to start with and take care, then the rest they'll work it out themselves and know how you came by it. If it was a smooth road or not.

3 Likes

Re: Rich People Who Feared Giving Their Children Money by Nobody: 12:43am On Feb 21, 2013
Re: Rich People Who Feared Giving Their Children Money by Nobody: 12:43am On Feb 21, 2013
Nigerians kids would rather kill their father if he uttered such..or quickly find dubious means to siphon their old man's wealth while alive
Well its gud morals these guys are trying to pass onto their children..i particularly love steven hayworth's statement about lettin his daughter know d value of a dollar.

2 Likes

Re: Rich People Who Feared Giving Their Children Money by braine(m): 12:44am On Feb 21, 2013
lucenzo: [img]https://www.nairaland.com/avatars/966187[/img]

Dancing like you're going to get shii from your dad. tongue

3 Likes

Re: Rich People Who Feared Giving Their Children Money by specialguest(f): 12:44am On Feb 21, 2013
Nice one! The kids should also work hard for their own money. Afterall have you ever heard of a rich man's son being more famous than his father? The Abiola's, Abacha's, Babangida's , Atiku's, Akande's , Adenuga's to name but a few, they all have grown up children but is any of the children more famous than their rich fathers? NO and the reason is simple, go figure it out folks.

11 Likes

Re: Rich People Who Feared Giving Their Children Money by Nobody: 12:46am On Feb 21, 2013
You see, my dad also refused to give me money tongue
Re: Rich People Who Feared Giving Their Children Money by 50calibre(m): 12:47am On Feb 21, 2013
acidtalk:

You are delusional

1 Like

Re: Rich People Who Feared Giving Their Children Money by Nobody: 12:48am On Feb 21, 2013
It is striking to note the similarities in the nationalities of those mentioned.

Let me reach the billion mark first.
Re: Rich People Who Feared Giving Their Children Money by FXKing2012(m): 12:55am On Feb 21, 2013
It's a very noble cause to give your wealth to the poor.
Re: Rich People Who Feared Giving Their Children Money by NessaFresh(f): 12:58am On Feb 21, 2013
Ok o
Re: Rich People Who Feared Giving Their Children Money by delors(m): 1:05am On Feb 21, 2013
I swear my paa nor fit say that kind thing while him still dey alive....never...him know the kind pikin wey him get sad sad sad sad...the room and parlour wey him get for village, e sure say na me get am...all him ties and troussers gwani, na me get them...na me go inherit everything - the car tyres wey dey in front of our house, the remain paoints wey we been use remain after we paint our room and parlour 10 years ago, everything na me get them! He nor fit talk say all these wealth na for charity...even my maa nor go allow am finish before she pour pepper for him eyes...I trust my people...

12 Likes

Re: Rich People Who Feared Giving Their Children Money by collinsola: 1:06am On Feb 21, 2013
:DPapa go say 'I they work because I nor want make my children surfer'know we they hear another story.

Make I wake my pale ask erm say who in they work for.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Helen Paul Celebrates Birthday As She Turns 37 Years / Ebony Life TV Responds To Andre Blaze's Sexual Assault Accusation By Olutimehin / “The Idea of Marriage Frightens Me” – Tacha Akide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.