Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,864 members, 7,802,771 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:13 PM

Jonathan Spent $1M For Beyonce And Jay Z's Visit To Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Spent $1M For Beyonce And Jay Z's Visit To Nigeria (25029 Views)

Boko-Haram: Jonathan Spent N2.2bn On Prayers / Jonathan Spent N825bn On Travel Allowances, Stationery, Others In 3 Years – FG / Goodluck Jonathan Spent 8 Years In Primary School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Spent $1M For Beyonce And Jay Z's Visit To Nigeria by bankoleben(m): 12:20am On Feb 21, 2013
SaharaReporters has uncovered a document indicating that a million dollars of Bayelsa State’s poverty alleviation fund was spent by then Governor Goodluck Jonathan on bringing American entertainers Beyonce and Jay Z to Nigeria in 2006.
In a letter stamped and signed by Bayelsa officials, N150 million (approximately a million dollars in 2006) was released from the state’s poverty alleviation fund for the first ThisDay Music Festival in Lagos.
The document came to light after a controversy was ignited over how much money American “reality TV” star Kim Kardashian was paid for a brief visit to Nigeria.
Ms. Kardashian, star of a US TV show about her idle rich family and who shot to international fame after a sex tape featuring her and her rapper boyfriend went viral, was reportedly paid half a million dollars for the 24-hour-visit last week.
The sources who provided the 2006 document for Beyonce and Jay Z’s visit told Saharareporters that there was a shady financial link between the producers of some high profile entertainment events and the governors and other officials who control budgets at the state and federal levels. Mr. Obaigbena’s newspaper, ThisDay, is a major sponsor of entertainment events that brings US music stars as well as top public figures for flying visits to Nigeria in exchange for gargantuan paychecks.
“Mr. Obaigbena often lines up financial bonanzas fromnumerous governors, ministers and other top government officials to finance his jamborees,” said one of the sources who is based in the UK and is knowledgeable about such deals.
SaharaReporters obtained a letter from Mr. Obaigbena to the Bayelsa State government soliciting funds from the oil-producing state ahead of Nigeria’s 46th independence celebrations in 2006. The publisherwrote, “We invite you to partner with us as co-hosts ofthe festival.” The letter added: “With a total budget of$10 million, the co-host is expected to contribute a minimum of $2.5 million (two million five hundred thousand USD).”
At the bottom of the letter, minuted by hand and signed by then Governor Jonathan’s aides as well as the Bayelsa State accountant general are the words, “Release N150,000,000.00 (One hundred and fifty million naira) only to be drawn from the poverty alleviation subhead.”
One source told SaharaReporters that Mr. Obaigbena sent similar letters to other south-south states.
SaharaReporters could not ascertain how much of the released funds was paid directly to performers at the festival. There is no indication that Beyonce, one of thefew entertainment stars internationally famous enoughto only need one name, was aware that her performance was being subsidized by the poor people of Bayelsa.
But during Beyonce’s celebrated rendition of the Nigerian national anthem, pictures of Bayelsa State were projected onto the wall of the Lagos concert venue.
According to the Nigerian Bureau of Statistics, 47% of Bayelsans live in poverty. The World Bank says that per capita gross domestic product in the Niger Delta is significantly below the country’s average. According to the state’s own 2005 development strategy, 80% of rural communities have no access to safe drinking water, a key indicator in judging poverty. In Yenagoa, the state capital and Bayelsa’s largest urban area, an estimated two out of every five residents do not have access to safe drinking water.
In 2005, as part of its UN-approved strategy to combat poverty, the state promised to make a fund of N100 million available as soft loans and micro-credit to Bayelsans. The allocated fund was N50 million less than Mr. Jonathan approved for Mr. Obaigbena’s music festival. That promise was made in the Bayelsa State Economic Empowerment and Development Strategy, published by the United Nations Development Program and signed by then Governor Diepreye Alamieyeseigha. A civil rights activist in Yenogoa told SaharaReporters that the state “has been a woeful failure in its poverty reduction program.”
The letter from Mr. Obaigbena to then-governor Goodluck Jonathan said the concert was necessary to show that the news from Nigeria was “not just…HIV/AIDS, conflicts, poverty, kidnapping, strife and riots.”
The publisher added: “This is the longest ever period of democracy in Nigeria, over seven years and counting! And a stable democracy means more investment and economic prosperity for all.”
The publisher went on to give reasons why the state government should contribute to the concert.
The stars’ performances would “tell the world, throughmusic, that Nigeria’s time has come,” Mr. Obaigbena wrote. The letter added, “And once the good news catches on with the young and upwardly mobile, musicloving new generation it will catch on with the world ofinvestments and bountiful opportunities.”
In 2006, Mr. Goodluck Jonathan had just become governor of Bayelsa after his boss, Diepreye Alamieyeseigha, was impeached and convicted on corruption charges. Mr. Jonathan was then elevated to Vice President to then President Umaru Yar’Adua. Mr. Yar’Adua's death in 2010 enabled Mr. Jonathan, a zoologist whose PhD focused on tropical fish, to assume the presidency.
Since 2006, Mr. Obaigbena’s parent company, Leaders& Company, has produced a number of high-profile events that have seen such American stars as Rihanna, R Kelly, and Usher perform for Nigerians. The ticket prices for these concerts are usually out of reach of the “average” Nigerian. The events feature tickets that cost many tens of thousands of naira, usually reserved for “VIP access.” ThisDay has also hosted political luminaries like former US President BillClinton and former economic adviser to the Obama presidency, Lawrence Summers. At an Africa Rising concert in London, former US Secretary of State Colin Powell came on stage and danced to the popular Naijajam “Yahooze” by Olu Maintain.

http://saharareporters.com/news-page/revealed-how-then-governor-goodluck-jonathan-gave-obaigbena-1-million-bayelsa%E2%80%99s-poverty-al

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Spent $1M For Beyonce And Jay Z's Visit To Nigeria by Walexy96: 12:26am On Feb 21, 2013
Sigh!!
The prodigal son of our time.

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Spent $1M For Beyonce And Jay Z's Visit To Nigeria by bankoleben(m): 12:27am On Feb 21, 2013
What an innovative way of alleviating poverty!

7 Likes

Re: Jonathan Spent $1M For Beyonce And Jay Z's Visit To Nigeria by takedat(m): 12:38am On Feb 21, 2013
Money laundering through Showbiz, misallocation of public funds, adventure of waste and whimsical profligacy; what a way of alleviating poverty in the creeks of Bayelsa where poverty holds sway in the midst of plenty. Pray he isn't going to bankrupt Nigeria while running a thievery corporation!

11 Likes

Re: Jonathan Spent $1M For Beyonce And Jay Z's Visit To Nigeria by Chanchit: 4:04am On Feb 21, 2013
But you can't tell me Beyonce n Jayz recieved the whole money. This is biz', GEJ would go back and collect 60% of the money. Btw if I'm the artist, whats my concern with where they got the money from, even if them borrow am from devil.

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan Spent $1M For Beyonce And Jay Z's Visit To Nigeria by Israelmossaic: 6:20am On Feb 21, 2013
Cheap blackmail. No Evidence. Because Fashola was criticized for paying Kim such a huge fund for 45seconds performance, some clowns are sponsoring articles that peddles Falsehood.

14 Likes

Re: Jonathan Spent $1M For Beyonce And Jay Z's Visit To Nigeria by idlaw2k3(m): 6:25am On Feb 21, 2013
hmmmm

11 Likes

Re: Jonathan Spent $1M For Beyonce And Jay Z's Visit To Nigeria by eggheaders(m): 6:36am On Feb 21, 2013
this is no news to peeps like me.that knows the kleptomaniac tendencies of the c-in-c.now we expecting our in-house president a55 lickers to come and tell us how saharareporter is a rumor peddling tabloid. the same way they lied about the first lady hospitalization in Germany.and the same way they lied about the president brothers death.

6 Likes

Re: Jonathan Spent $1M For Beyonce And Jay Z's Visit To Nigeria by PapaBrowne(m): 6:55am On Feb 21, 2013
Anybody that believes Saharareporters would believe anything.
The article has only one purpose: To distract from the news that Fashola paid 500,000 USD for Kim Kardashain's visit.
2006 is 7 years ago. We really cant be bothered about that right now. We've seen worse, like the 2,2 billion naira 150 seater hall in Abuja.

The news of the day is Fashola's $500,000 on Kim Kardashain and it would be fool hardy for Sahareporters to try to distract us from that reality and prevent us from asking Fashola the right questions.

23 Likes

Re: Jonathan Spent $1M For Beyonce And Jay Z's Visit To Nigeria by solid3(m): 7:09am On Feb 21, 2013
@Read only 3 paragraphs, checks where it ends, yawns n walk away@
Re: Jonathan Spent $1M For Beyonce And Jay Z's Visit To Nigeria by DuduNegro: 7:09am On Feb 21, 2013
papabrowne,

there is precedence. beyonce and jayz event is in past. kardashian event is past. the only action you need is to take the lessons of past to shape the action of future. if you need understanding for how it happened to begin with, then you open the precedence of 2006 for review.

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Spent $1M For Beyonce And Jay Z's Visit To Nigeria by takedat(m): 7:10am On Feb 21, 2013
PapaBrowne: Anybody that believes Saharareporters would believe anything.
The article has only one purpose: To distract from the news that Fashola paid 500,000 USD for Kim Kardashain's visit.
2006 is 7 years ago. We really cant be bothered about that right now. We've seen worse, like the 2,2 billion naira 150 seater hall in Abuja.

The news of the day is Fashola's $500,000 on Kim Kardashain and it would be fool hardy for Sahareporters to try to distract us from that reality and prevent us from asking Fashola the right questions.
Why not bring proof that Fashola indeed paid for her visit to Nigeria. SR has provided proof that Jonathan paid a whooping $1million as a governor, whether it happened seven years ago is inconsequential cos' we are getting to know more of GEJ's wastefulness and extravagant spending! Now I know he has always been a prodigal and wastrel!

57 Likes

Re: Jonathan Spent $1M For Beyonce And Jay Z's Visit To Nigeria by PapaBrowne(m): 8:12am On Feb 21, 2013
Dudu_Negro: papabrowne,

there is precedence. beyonce and jayz event is in past. kardashian event is past. the only action you need is to take the lessons of past to shape the action of future. if you need understanding for how it happened to begin with, then you open the precedence of 2006 for review.

Yeah, Dudu I like the idea of understanding precedence. But in doing so, we must focus on the implications for the actions of today. What Saharareporters have tried to do is clear- Distract from the story that Fashola paid for Kim Kardashain's visit with tax payers monies.
7 years ago is a while. Kim Kardashian left Lagos this week. 7 years ago doesnt resonante like this week does.
Re: Jonathan Spent $1M For Beyonce And Jay Z's Visit To Nigeria by PapaBrowne(m): 8:18am On Feb 21, 2013
take dat: Why not bring proof that Fashola indeed paid for her visit to Nigeria. SR has provided proof that Jonathan paid a whooping $1million as a governor, whether it happened seven years ago is inconsequential cos' we are getting to know more of GEJ's wastefulness and extravagant spending! Now I know he has always been a prodigal and wastrel!

Proof?? How about I forge a piece of paper, scan it and post it here?? Would you accept it as proof??
Why should I accept a document from Saharareporters, who have presented false documents numerously in the past as proof?? I know better than that please.

9 Likes

Re: Jonathan Spent $1M For Beyonce And Jay Z's Visit To Nigeria by takedat(m): 8:32am On Feb 21, 2013
PapaBrowne:

Proof?? How about I forge a piece of paper, scan it and post it here?? Would you accept it as proof??
Why should I accept a document from Saharareporters, who have presented false documents numerously in the past as proof?? I know better than that please.
The same way you accused SR of peddling lies during Dame's health saga but was later vindicated. Saharareporters remains credible than the news sites and blogs practising Yellow journalism, with no iota of proof to back up their claim that Fashola sponsored her trip to Nigeria!

19 Likes

Re: Jonathan Spent $1M For Beyonce And Jay Z's Visit To Nigeria by seanet01: 8:40am On Feb 21, 2013
PapaBrowne:

Abeg park well jor.
Did sahara reporters also manufactured the news that your First lady was ill and went for medical attention abroad which YOU INCLUSIVE vehemently denied then?
Some of you just have no conscience.

21 Likes

Re: Jonathan Spent $1M For Beyonce And Jay Z's Visit To Nigeria by PapaBrowne(m): 8:55am On Feb 21, 2013
take dat: The same way you accused SR of peddling lies during Dame's health saga but was later vindicated. Saharareporters remains credible than the mushroom sites practicing Yellow journalism, with no iota of proof to back up their claim that Fashola sponsored her trip to Nigeria!

I never at any point on Nairaland or anywhere else argue that Patience Jonathan was not sick. SO STOP THE FREAKING LIES.
Everybody knew Patience was sick. Nobody disputed that. Government tried to hide the sickness because of the character of the Nigerian opposition. Their capacity to craft stories to deceive the Nigerian public at a time the president must have been going through a hell of personal troubles.
Now that is a Nigerian phenomenon. People hide their sicknesses because of the belief that the desires of your enemies have a way of impacting on the your potential for recovery. Chime was sick and hid it until he became strong. Imoke hasn't spoken about his own yet. Most pregnant women hide their date of delivery from even their close friends. To think about it, Patience Jonathan is a private citizen and her personal business is none of our business.

About Fashola's Kardashian sponsorship, I disputed it initially until I've realized now that Fashola or the LASG haven't come out to dispute the claim.

7 Likes

Re: Jonathan Spent $1M For Beyonce And Jay Z's Visit To Nigeria by Clerverly: 9:10am On Feb 21, 2013
PapaBrowne:

I never at any point on Nairaland or anywhere else argue that Patience Jonathan was not sick. SO STOP THE FREAKING LIES.
Everybody knew Patience was sick. Nobody disputed that. Government tried to hide the sickness because of the character of the Nigerian opposition. Their capacity to craft stories to deceive the Nigerian public at a time the president must have been going through a hell of personal troubles.
Now that is a Nigerian phenomenon. People hide their sicknesses because of the belief that the desires of your enemies have a way of impacting on the your potential for recovery. Chime was sick and hid it until he became strong. Imoke hasn't spoken about his own yet. Most pregnant women hide their date of delivery from even their close friends. To think about it, Patience Jonathan is a private citizen and her personal business is none of our business.

About Fashola's Kardashian sponsorship, I disputed it initially until I've realized now that Fashola or the LASG haven't come out to dispute the claim.

Really? Then why are they asking the tax payers to cough out N4b naira to build mansion for this private citizen Your bias has no comparison. Carry on with your evil work but get ready to welcome karma when it knocks angry angry angry

28 Likes

Re: Jonathan Spent $1M For Beyonce And Jay Z's Visit To Nigeria by PapaBrowne(m): 9:19am On Feb 21, 2013
Clerverly:

Really? [b]Then why are they asking the tax payers to cough out N4b naira to build mansion for this private citizen [/b] Your bias has no comparison. Carry on with your evil work but get ready to welcome karma when it knocks angry angry angry

Ok.Please show me an article where they intend to build a mansion for that private citizen?? I would like to see that article Mr smart?
You guys feed on pathetic misinformation. I dont hold sway for the failures of Government whether federal or state, but I think many folks are just stupidly baised.
What kind of foolery would make it more sensible for me to focus on an article that says Jonathan wasted 1 million dollars 7 years ago than for me to focus on one that says Fashola wasted $500,000 yesterday?? Thats complete stupidity.

5 Likes

Re: Jonathan Spent $1M For Beyonce And Jay Z's Visit To Nigeria by takedat(m): 9:25am On Feb 21, 2013
PapaBrowne:

So because Fashola or LASG haven't debunked a claim made by a non reputable and rumour peddling site,makes it true? While you are trying to downplay that of a news site with proof to back it up! Hypocrisy

15 Likes

Re: Jonathan Spent $1M For Beyonce And Jay Z's Visit To Nigeria by jmaine: 9:30am On Feb 21, 2013
Hypocrisy of the highest order . . .the same peeps who disputed Fashola - Kim story are here believing this story simply because GEJ is involved

Don't you all have shame . . . . . sad

11 Likes

Re: Jonathan Spent $1M For Beyonce And Jay Z's Visit To Nigeria by jmaine: 9:35am On Feb 21, 2013

It's indeed a pathetic attempt, reminiscent of what happened in nairaland a few weeks ago when a 2 year old thread on Abati was resurrected to the homepage to counter his most recent article which never courted the MOD's interest, until their biased folly was exposed . . . .

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Spent $1M For Beyonce And Jay Z's Visit To Nigeria by bankoleben(m): 9:58am On Feb 21, 2013

I can see you're trying hard to justify Jonathan's action because you believe Fashola did the same thing, PATHETIC!
So you'll rather believe Yemoja news (or what's the name) over Sahara Reporters, there no greater way to show that you're being sentimental.
Everytime you accuse Sahara Reporters of lying but they come out clean on each occasion. Even the picture of a letter with your oga's signature is not enough to convince you, SHAME!

14 Likes

Re: Jonathan Spent $1M For Beyonce And Jay Z's Visit To Nigeria by PapaBrowne(m): 10:17am On Feb 21, 2013
bankoleben:

I can see you're trying hard to justify Jonathan's action because you believe Fashola did the same thing, PATHETIC!
So you'll rather believe Yemoja news (or what's the name) over Sahara Reporters, there no greater way to show that you're being sentimental.
Everytime you accuse Sahara Reporters of lying but they come out clean on each occasion. Even the picture of a letter with your oga's signature is not enough to convince you, SHAME!

No bro. Its is the other way round. There's no way I would try to use an event of today to justify an event of 7 years ago. You only use the past to justify the present and not the other way round. My grouse with Saharareporters is their bid to use the purported Jonathan action to justify Fashola's purported action. By the way, I am a big fan of Fashola.
Re: Jonathan Spent $1M For Beyonce And Jay Z's Visit To Nigeria by hercules07: 10:20am On Feb 21, 2013
PapaBrowne:

No bro. Its is the other way round. There's no way I would try to use an event of today to justify an event of 7 years ago. You only use the past to justify the present and not the other way round. My grouse with Saharareporters is their bid to use the purported Jonathan action to justify Fashola's purported action. By the way, I am a big fan of Fashola.

They are not using it to justify anything, Fashola did not pay for Kardashian visit, he is not that frivolous.

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan Spent $1M For Beyonce And Jay Z's Visit To Nigeria by jmaine: 10:25am On Feb 21, 2013
hercules07:

They are not using it to justify anything, Fashola did not pay for Kardashian visit, he is not that frivolous.

Your justification is too weak . .i never believed that Fashola - Kim story one bit, but never on the premises of his frivolous tendencies . .

We all knew it was spear headed by Darey, even though the possibility of some underground donation /cash sponsorship deals can't be totally ruled out . . .

Wetin be N8 milla to LASG grin . . .

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Spent $1M For Beyonce And Jay Z's Visit To Nigeria by eggheaders(m): 10:32am On Feb 21, 2013
as I predicted the in house presidential a55 suckers are in full swing defending their boss like there lives depend on it.inasmuch as the fashola story has not been proved by any credible source still make it a rumour.so because fashola err makes it justifiable to gej too err.I really laugh at the line of reasoning of this presidential surrogates in here.

5 Likes

Re: Jonathan Spent $1M For Beyonce And Jay Z's Visit To Nigeria by dridowu: 10:39am On Feb 21, 2013
Re: Jonathan Spent $1M For Beyonce And Jay Z's Visit To Nigeria by takedat(m): 3:21pm On Feb 21, 2013
As a governor he diverted monies meant to reduce poverty in Bayelsa to create wealth for cronies, no wonder he said he didn't promise to reduce poverty but promised to create wealth in his media chat!
Re: Jonathan Spent $1M For Beyonce And Jay Z's Visit To Nigeria by tomakint: 3:21pm On Feb 21, 2013
eggheaders: as I predicted the in house presidential a55 suckers are in full swing defending their boss like there lives depend on it.inasmuch as the fashola story has not been proved by any credible source still make it a rumour.so because fashola err makes it justifiable to gej too err.I really laugh at the line of reasoning of this presidential surrogates in here.
You must be a 'Compound Idiiot' for spewing out the above, you better go and get a life ignoramus! cool
Re: Jonathan Spent $1M For Beyonce And Jay Z's Visit To Nigeria by tomakint: 3:23pm On Feb 21, 2013
take dat: As a governor he was diverting monies meant to reduce poverty in Bayelsa to create wealth for cronies, no wonder he said he didn't promise to reduce poverty but promised to create wealth in his media chat!
Bring your proof, son of the soil! Jonathan has done more them all in his two years as a President, what he did in Bayelsa is none of my business in as much you can't come out with concrete proofs as SincereNigerian has been doing on Jonathan's case cool
Re: Jonathan Spent $1M For Beyonce And Jay Z's Visit To Nigeria by takedat(m): 3:41pm On Feb 21, 2013
tomakint:
Bring your proof, son of the soil! Jonathan has done more them all in his two years as a President, what he did in Bayelsa is none of my business in as much you can't come out with concrete proofs as SincereNigerian has been doing on Jonathan's case cool
And the moral of your story is we shouldn't be bothered by his past?! U do well.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Dasuki To Face Fresh Charges Over 1994 Millitary Charge / BOKO HARAM: (PICTURES) As Normalcy Returns To Mubi / Inspector Shoots Self Dead In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.