Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,866 members, 7,802,789 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:38 PM

Document Of Nigeria's Amalgamation In 1914 (picture) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Document Of Nigeria's Amalgamation In 1914 (picture) (51769 Views)

2015: El-rufai Exposes Scandalous Leaked Document Of PDP ‘plan B’ / Document Of Governors Backing Jang As NGF Chairman / Nigeria's Amalgamation Expires In 2014 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Document Of Nigeria's Amalgamation In 1914 (picture) by Iyaniwura123: 5:51am On Feb 21, 2013
In 1914, the British Protectorates of Northern and Southern Nigeria were amalgamated by Frederick Lugard, 1st Baron Lugard, a mercenary, soldier, explorer and colonial administrator. It was only in Lagos that his plan of amalgamation was fiercely resisted, the other parts of the country remained lackadaisical. The image below shows the document at the National Archives, London with which the amalgamation of Nigeria was done. It was provided by Amanda Kirby Okoli, a London-based lawyer. In 2014, the amalgamation will be 100 years, and the Nigerian federal government is already making moves to have a blast. They call it the Centenary Anniversary Celebrations and it has attracted varied opinions. What do you think?

Please like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/iyaniwurablog

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Document Of Nigeria's Amalgamation In 1914 (picture) by Akshow: 6:21am On Feb 21, 2013
So na wetin join animal wit people in this country called Nigeria be this? Na wa o. Lord Lugard and co una do try at all at all. Na Una be the cause of our wahala now. Nigeria should have been four different countries

10 Likes

Re: Document Of Nigeria's Amalgamation In 1914 (picture) by Nobody: 6:31am On Feb 21, 2013
can you blame him, when you are governor of a colony and 2 other 'protectorates' (wonder what they were protecting), running 3 diff offices with same function doesnt make sense.
however, even countries that were united since time immemorial have since parted ways (india/pakistan, the koreas, sudans et al) how much more one in which the people have mutual distrust for eachother.

11 Likes

Re: Document Of Nigeria's Amalgamation In 1914 (picture) by mosquitoNet(m): 6:45am On Feb 21, 2013
Akshow: So na wetin join animal wit people in this country called Nigeria be this? Na wa o. Lord Lugard and co una do try at all at all. Na Una be the cause of our wahala now. Nigeria should have been four different countries
southern animals abi?

1 Like

Re: Document Of Nigeria's Amalgamation In 1914 (picture) by solid3(m): 6:49am On Feb 21, 2013
So what next?

What will happen by next year- 2014?
Re: Document Of Nigeria's Amalgamation In 1914 (picture) by Akshow: 7:45am On Feb 21, 2013
mosquitoNet: southern animals abi?
na you get ur mouf o. me no mention names o

4 Likes

Re: Document Of Nigeria's Amalgamation In 1914 (picture) by emmalexabl(m): 7:55am On Feb 21, 2013
mosquitoNet: southern ANIMALS abi?
we are all humans but some people are less human though.
Re: Document Of Nigeria's Amalgamation In 1914 (picture) by Nobody: 8:06am On Feb 21, 2013
Shout-out to y'all shouting and advocating for break-up, I hope you guys have weighed the pros and cons that will be felt in the post break-up or the aftermath of the break-up. Recently, I've heard about how one or two countries that parted ways with the former, trust me when I say that they aren't faring well... We need to re-evaluate things of this kind before we key into it. Remember, the great giant of Africa will fall, the labour of our heroes past will be in vain, the vision 202020, the MDGs etc will be in vain, we will have to start from the scratches once again, which I know is not easy... My two cents.

6 Likes

Re: Document Of Nigeria's Amalgamation In 1914 (picture) by uzeba(m): 9:18am On Feb 21, 2013
Open ur mouth only wat u are going to say is more beautiful than silence!!!

1 Like

Re: Document Of Nigeria's Amalgamation In 1914 (picture) by abiki(f): 9:19am On Feb 21, 2013
We want to de-amalgamate joor

4 Likes

Re: Document Of Nigeria's Amalgamation In 1914 (picture) by Nostradamu(m): 9:21am On Feb 21, 2013
***Blink,Blink****
Re: Document Of Nigeria's Amalgamation In 1914 (picture) by Goodays(m): 9:22am On Feb 21, 2013
Well said.
Re: Document Of Nigeria's Amalgamation In 1914 (picture) by Nobody: 9:24am On Feb 21, 2013
This Anniversary Celebration is a BAD OMEN. 2015 NEXT?

1 Like

Re: Document Of Nigeria's Amalgamation In 1914 (picture) by lafuria1(m): 9:25am On Feb 21, 2013
breaking up is not the issue to me, are we going to break up in peace?. who is going take abuja for example. we should have divided long time ago not now that things have gotten complicated.

2 Likes

Re: Document Of Nigeria's Amalgamation In 1914 (picture) by ITbomb(m): 9:25am On Feb 21, 2013
If some people would argue that they are not parasites , why are they afraid of staying alone and letting the others go.
Just a normal reshuffling of army chiefs or decentralization of armory can cause sleepless night for the parasites

6 Likes

Re: Document Of Nigeria's Amalgamation In 1914 (picture) by Nobody: 9:28am On Feb 21, 2013
What are in the other paragraphs that we hid from the public?
Re: Document Of Nigeria's Amalgamation In 1914 (picture) by Nobody: 9:29am On Feb 21, 2013
He talked about one single administration; why do we have one government?
Re: Document Of Nigeria's Amalgamation In 1914 (picture) by Nobody: 9:30am On Feb 21, 2013
If it was delivered in May 1913, then why is the centenary celebration in 2013? Instead of 2012!
Re: Document Of Nigeria's Amalgamation In 1914 (picture) by Ebestsmscom: 9:32am On Feb 21, 2013
Typing....
Re: Document Of Nigeria's Amalgamation In 1914 (picture) by Igwe9(m): 9:32am On Feb 21, 2013
what of the main body so we could see the terms and conditions? cool
Re: Document Of Nigeria's Amalgamation In 1914 (picture) by redcliff: 9:33am On Feb 21, 2013
[size=14pt]see him mouth like hen pu.si angry[/size]

2 Likes

Re: Document Of Nigeria's Amalgamation In 1914 (picture) by Ebestsmscom: 9:36am On Feb 21, 2013
Akshow: na you get ur mouf o. me no mention names o

LMAO

Bros I hail ooo.

It's beta the way you posted urs.
Re: Document Of Nigeria's Amalgamation In 1914 (picture) by Jerros213(m): 9:39am On Feb 21, 2013
careytommy: can you blame him, when you are governor of a colony and 2 other 'protectorates' (wonder what they were protecting), running 3 diff offices with same function doesnt make sense.
however, even countries that were united since time immemorial have since parted ways (india/pakistan, the koreas, sudans et al) how much more one in which the people have mutual distrust for eachother.

Taiwan and China

1 Like

Re: Document Of Nigeria's Amalgamation In 1914 (picture) by bakynes(m): 9:46am On Feb 21, 2013
la furia: breaking up is not the issue to me, are we going to break up in peace?. who is going take abuja for example. we should have divided long time ago not now that things have gotten complicated.
Abuja will be the capital of the North and Lagos the capital of the South but expect Abuja to be shit in years if that should happen

1 Like

Re: Document Of Nigeria's Amalgamation In 1914 (picture) by ITbomb(m): 9:48am On Feb 21, 2013
Jerros213:

Taiwan and China
Take this join
Czech and Slovakia
Russia and all others especially Ukraine wey our guy dey line up for Education Visa

1 Like

Re: Document Of Nigeria's Amalgamation In 1914 (picture) by Goldcon: 9:50am On Feb 21, 2013
Shout-out to y'all shouting and advocating for break-up, I hope you guys have weighed the pros and cons that will be felt in the post break-up or the aftermath of the break-up. Recently, I've heard about how one or two countries that parted ways with the former, trust me when I say that they aren't faring well... We need to re-evaluate things of this kind before we key into it. Remember, the great giant of Africa will fall, the labour of our heroes past will be in vain, the vision 202020, the MDGs etc will be in vain, we will have to start from the scratches once again, which I know is not easy... My two cents.

Our size is not the issue. Check: what is the population and size of Great Britain, how big is Japan, what is the population of Mother Russia, Germany, Canada, even South africa etc.
The fact is that Nigeria is an amalgamation of very strange bed fellows. We are like different bands of travellers coming from different backgrounds and going to different destination but one man just met them at a juntion and joined them to form one band. Consider that...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Document Of Nigeria's Amalgamation In 1914 (picture) by ITbomb(m): 9:50am On Feb 21, 2013
la furia: breaking up is not the issue to me, are we going to break up in peace?. who is going take abuja for example. we should have divided long time ago not now that things have gotten complicated.
If Abuja will be the price for a divided Nigeria , so be it. We can build as many Abuja as possible but the North cannot sustain the Abuja as it is now when the oil money stop flowing through its roads
Re: Document Of Nigeria's Amalgamation In 1914 (picture) by osifred(m): 9:51am On Feb 21, 2013
The date of the amalgamation is 15th may 1913. Why then were we told in school that it was 1914?

1 Like

Re: Document Of Nigeria's Amalgamation In 1914 (picture) by ITbomb(m): 9:53am On Feb 21, 2013
emmysenior: we will have to start from the scratches once again, which I know is not easy... My two cents.
All the program u listed are waste, we need to start from scratch and build a nation we can all be proud of .
Nigeria as of today is damage beyond patching. An overhaul is needed

1 Like

Re: Document Of Nigeria's Amalgamation In 1914 (picture) by firedaman1(m): 9:56am On Feb 21, 2013
it is true that at this point in time,division will pave way for more problems.but I can't help asking myself what will happen if things continue the way they are going now.lawlessness is at its peak,no kobo in our foreign reserve,politicians stealing billions of dollars(they don't want naira again) with reckless abandon.wat will be our fate if our oil dries up in 5years time?I'm sure the northerners and others will no longer want to continue as one Nigeria. to an extent,I think its best for the country to be divided. let everybody manage his/her own resources, and contribute a percentage to the federal government. let new but wicked laws for corruption be developed and complemented. that way nobody will have the heart to steal public funds.
God bless Nigeria.

NB:I heard that after 100 years, the amalgamation would no longer hold the country together legally.

3 Likes

Re: Document Of Nigeria's Amalgamation In 1914 (picture) by ITbomb(m): 9:56am On Feb 21, 2013
osifred: The date of the amalgamation is 15th may 1913. Why then were we told in school that it was 1914?
If you finish final exams in 2013, senate approve your result in 2014 and you did convocation in 2015 .
What year is your year of graduation?

9 Likes

Re: Document Of Nigeria's Amalgamation In 1914 (picture) by ITbomb(m): 9:58am On Feb 21, 2013
firedaman1: let new but wicked laws for corruption be developed and complemented. that way nobody will have the heart to steal public funds.
God bless Nigeria.

Like putting the pension chief head up a spike?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Officers Who Spoke With Terrorists After Kuje Prison Attack Arrested / 7 Female Senators In Nigeria’s 8th National Assembly (photos) / Edo North Youths Reject Ize-Iyamu, As Gani Audu, His Running Mate Escapes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.