Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,210 members, 7,807,710 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:52 PM

Why Do Christian Know So Little About The Bible And Their Religion? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Christian Know So Little About The Bible And Their Religion? (1266 Views)

Why Do Christian's Blame Islam/muslim's For The Emergence Of Boko Haram / Why Do Christian Men Remove Their Cap In Church? / Who Do Christian Worship - God, Jesus Or Their Pastors? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Christian Know So Little About The Bible And Their Religion? by tpaine: 12:46pm On Mar 16, 2008
My encounters and conversations with most Christians about the tenets, origins and history of their religion usually leaves me puzzled as to the abject ignorance within the Christian community of the bearest and basic information about their belief system. For instance, the majority of Christian know little or nothing about the following;

1-) The bible - its writers, composition, compilation
2-) The various church councils, eg Nicea
3-) The conversion of Emperor Constantine
4-) The Arian controversy
5-) The difference between the immaculate conception and the virgin birth
6-) The crusades
7-) The witchhunts
8-) For Catholics, the various papal sexual, financial and murderous scandals

That people could commit so much of their time and effort on a belief system and institution they have very little knowledge of is an indictment to the faculty of reason.

Why are the majority of Christians so bone-dry pig ignorant about their own religion?
Re: Why Do Christian Know So Little About The Bible And Their Religion? by mazaje(m): 1:38pm On Mar 16, 2008
Used to wonder the same too. those are a very legitimate questions you have asked.
Re: Why Do Christian Know So Little About The Bible And Their Religion? by Xvalier: 10:02pm On Mar 16, 2008
Take it easy Tpaine. First of all, Christianity is not a religion. Second, I do agree that the Historical origin and progress of christianity through the ages will add some flavor and appreciation to the content of Bible doctrine, but it will not increase your faith, as Faith comes by learning the 'mystery doctrne, that contained in the WORD OF GOD.

I encourage christians to read on church history, but I advise you to concentrate on the content of bible messages.

Tpaine, I see your posts all over on issues such as 'prophesies yet to be fulfilled', 'the vatican, ,' 'who is Ronald, ,' 'Myth of nazareth, etc

Yes it's nice to delibrate about all these issues, please if you are a christian, do not forget the essentials, the content of Scriptures itself.
Re: Why Do Christian Know So Little About The Bible And Their Religion? by Nobody: 10:45pm On Mar 16, 2008
tpaine:

Why are the majority of Christians so bone-dry pig ignorant about their own religion?

How would an answer help your miserable life? You have abused this thread and people's faith enough. Do you have an heart, think about what you are doing, Nairalanders are not BOTS.
Re: Why Do Christian Know So Little About The Bible And Their Religion? by tpaine: 10:55pm On Mar 16, 2008
babaearly:

How would an answer help your miserable life? You have abused this thread and people's faith enough. Do you have an heart, think about what you are doing, Nairalanders are not BOTS.

Faith is a very bad and unreliable epistemic device and the sooner it is no longer part of modern existence, the better. So it gives me great pleasure to attack this "great evil at the centre of the modern era"
Re: Why Do Christian Know So Little About The Bible And Their Religion? by Nobody: 12:12am On Mar 17, 2008
tpaine:

Faith is a very bad and unreliable epistemic device and the sooner it is no longer part of modern existence, the better. So it gives me great pleasure to attack this "great evil at the centre of the modern era"

U just finished smoking your pot.abi?, you are no longer part of the modern world. even scientists have faith, every human has it, you have faith you'll sleep tonight and wake up 2moro morning. it's as basic as that. i just see the blockheadedness in ur medula now. u aint worth talking with.
Re: Why Do Christian Know So Little About The Bible And Their Religion? by bawomolo(m): 12:37am On Mar 17, 2008
if christianity isn't a religion, then what is it. a cult??
Re: Why Do Christian Know So Little About The Bible And Their Religion? by TheSly: 1:30am On Mar 17, 2008
Keep giving urself a serious headache.

(1) (Reply)

Please Dont Watch Bad Romance By Lady Gaga At Night / "Christian Priest Says: 'Jesus (as) Told Me To Embrace Islam'"! / 3 silly Things That Nairaland Christians Do (OK, Some Of Them)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.