Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,436 members, 7,801,013 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 09:57 AM

Drupal Vs Codeigniter Which To Use? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Drupal Vs Codeigniter Which To Use? (3198 Views)

Wants To Deploy A Codeigniter Project Live / Help With Codeigniter And Git / Millions Of Websites Hit By Drupal Hack Attack (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Drupal Vs Codeigniter Which To Use? by talk2hb1(m): 3:36pm On Feb 21, 2013
Please help suggest which of this to use for a complex project, help decide which to use.
Re: Drupal Vs Codeigniter Which To Use? by Nobody: 7:57am On Feb 22, 2013
talk2hb1: Please help suggest which of this to use for a complex project, help decide which to use.
Drupal is a content management system that allows for scalability via module creation while codeigniter is a php framwork with simplfied ORM and tons of helper classes for rapid application development. Now the question is, What's the nature of your project? where does it fit in the above?
Re: Drupal Vs Codeigniter Which To Use? by talk2hb1(m): 3:03pm On Feb 23, 2013
sheyie2007:
Drupal is a content management system that allows for scalability via module creation while codeigniter is a php framwork with simplfied ORM and tons of helper classes for rapid application development. Now the question is, What's the nature of your project? where does it fit in the above?

The project is supposed to be classified, I am sorry I cant say much about the application online. But my aim is to try to take advantage of drupal series of classes combined with the CMS capability, or to use the CI framework to build everything from scratch.
Re: Drupal Vs Codeigniter Which To Use? by Nobody: 4:39pm On Feb 23, 2013
talk2hb1:

The project is supposed to be classified, I am sorry I cant say much about the application online. But my aim is to try to take advantage of drupal series of classes combined with the CMS capability, or to use the CI framework to build everything from scratch.
Well if you think going the drupal route will do the job, goodluck to you my man cool
Re: Drupal Vs Codeigniter Which To Use? by talk2hb1(m): 12:11pm On Feb 25, 2013
thanks man
Re: Drupal Vs Codeigniter Which To Use? by finintell: 2:18pm On Feb 25, 2013
Re: Drupal Vs Codeigniter Which To Use? by timbs001(m): 2:20pm On Feb 25, 2013
Drupal will be a good way to go. Been building custom drupal modules for a while now and Drupal has met all my project needs so far. You can contact me If you need help with some of the functionality wink
Re: Drupal Vs Codeigniter Which To Use? by doncheks: 5:26pm On Feb 25, 2013
You didn't give any hint on the nature of your project.Well MVC frameworks like CI are light weight and have exceptional performance on shared hosting platforms where processing speed, disk space, memory and server configuration options are limited.If you are an experienced PHP Web developer and love writing code,then this might just be what you need.

Drupal on the other hand is a content management framework that is modular in nature.With Drupal you can do just about anything complex if you know what you're doing.Expect to write one or two modules if you re really doing advanced stuff.

Also Drupal has a great community and many modules(all free).Drupal requires more memory and disk space than CI but its performance and scalability can be enhanced.

Most Importantly,if security is your concern,go with Drupal.Even the white house uses it! Am a big fan of drupal.

Lest I forget,you can read up the codeigniter documentation in a day but there's definitely a learning curve for drupal, but it's not insurmountable.

Wish you the best in your project.

Re: Drupal Vs Codeigniter Which To Use? by Nobody: 7:06pm On Feb 25, 2013
I thoroughly despise anything with terrible ORM.
Unfortunately, drupal sucks with this, as nice a CMS as it is.

I've always found it utterly frustrating saving and extracting custom things from the database in drupal.
Crappy documentation doesn't really help either.
Re: Drupal Vs Codeigniter Which To Use? by Nobody: 7:24pm On Feb 25, 2013
2buff: I thoroughly despise anything with terrible ORM.

I've always found it utterly frustrating saving and extracting custom things from the database in drupal.
I thought i was the only one angry
Re: Drupal Vs Codeigniter Which To Use? by doncheks: 1:51pm On Feb 26, 2013
2buff: I thoroughly despise anything with terrible ORM.

Drupal is a beast but every beast can be tamed.It is not for lazy programmers.Its code is clean and its got excellent documentation.Using the Views module you can extract any kind of data from drupal's database.You could even run your own custom queries and present data in any format.
Re: Drupal Vs Codeigniter Which To Use? by Nobody: 6:33am On Feb 28, 2013
i have never used CI but looking at the codes, its closer to Yii, if Yii was an option go with that,if not CI is cool, but does it now support PHP5 now ?
Re: Drupal Vs Codeigniter Which To Use? by Nobody: 6:38am On Feb 28, 2013
Yii is by far one of the best PHP frameworks. So clean and nice with fairly alright ORM......

Now that being said.....

I don't think it makes sense right now at this point in time to start any NEW web project with something as archaic as PHP.
Why aren't you using the much more awesome, next-level platforms like Django, grails or rails?

I personally picked up Grails and it's Hibernate-ish ORM totally did it for me. So simple to have a nice data model with inheritance up and running fast.
Re: Drupal Vs Codeigniter Which To Use? by Nobody: 6:48am On Feb 28, 2013
well i wouldn't call PHP archaic, though it got lot of messy concepts now but it still works, but i see Django as something not bad to try out, how would you rate it @2buff ?
Re: Drupal Vs Codeigniter Which To Use? by doncheks: 10:47am On Feb 28, 2013
2buff: Yii is by far one of the best PHP frameworks. So clean and nice with fairly alright ORM......

Now that being said.....

I don't think it makes sense right now at this point in time to start any NEW web project with something as archaic as PHP.
Why aren't you using the much more awesome, next-level platforms like Django, grails or rails?

I personally picked up Grails and it's Hibernate-ish ORM totally did it for me. So simple to have a nice data model with inheritance up and running fast.

pc guru: well i wouldn't call PHP archaic, though it got lot of messy concepts now but it still works, but i see Django as something not bad to try out, how would you rate it @2buff ?

Well for new bees,starting out with Django is like taking a walk into the wild.It currently does not enjoy the support and popularity that PHP's got.Maybe in the next 3-5 year,Django may be more alluring.

Besides PHP is not outdated.Its a moving target.Which version are you using.?Well 5.3 seems to be perfect.Seems like you re a python programmer.

Also,some web hosts will not allow you to run Django on shared hosting.You may need a VPS or higher hosting plan for that.That's additional overhead.

(1) (Reply)

ATTENTION: Programming Logic Comparison / Why Is C++ So Hard? / JCA 1.0 Connector & Threads

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.