Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,891 members, 7,802,868 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:04 AM

Atheism 101: A Guide For New Atheists - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheism 101: A Guide For New Atheists (1533 Views)

The End Of Reason:A Response To The New Atheists / My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! / Rise Of The New Atheists? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Atheism 101: A Guide For New Atheists by ooman(m): 10:09pm On Feb 21, 2013
Someone has to say it, so I'll do it - There is no "god". Period. It a childishly obvious fairy tale, and, like Santa Claus and Superman, should never be believed by an adult with a working brain.

Believers of the ancient god-fables will of course rail at that pronouncement. Well, sorry, but they've had 2000 years to make their case and all they've managed to do is make a lot of people very miserable. They have resorted to everything from the Manchurian Candidate-style brainwashing of defenseless children (see Jesus Camp), to torture and murder, to genocide and religious war and still can't prove that their alleged deity exists. Threats and intimidation have always been much more persuasive for them than the merits of the concept. Despite the efforts of their best minds, they have manage to produce only the lamest of arguments. In the end they are left with the same tools as any charlatans - pretty lies, a story that is just too good to be true. Can't collect until after you're dead and no one ever asks for their money back.

For the beginners, atheism is quite simple - where theism means a "belief in god(s)", a-theism means "without a belief in god(s)". Essentially it pertains to those who do not subscribe to the ancient god-fables. It is the default state of all Humans from birth. In its basic form it is not an assertion that god does not exist, it is simply the philosophical position that one does not happen to share that particular belief. It is merely an "Excuse me?" response to an unbelievable tale. Atheism in its "harder" form is the clear recognition the all god claims are merely ancient mythology and are obviously false.

I take a slightly different position which may cause philosophical purists some heartburn. I assert with confidence that "god" does not exist. Purists would take issue with my apparent assertion of a negative proof. That is not the case, however. I agree that a negative cannot be proven. The burden of proof is obviously and necessarily on the affirmative position - the one that claims that god does exist - rather than on those who failed to fall for it.. As yet, those making that rather extraordinary claim have yet to provide one single shred of objective, irrefutable evidence in support of their claim.
I arrive at my position from another direction. If I come to you and tell you that invisible beings are present in the room with us, but that I just made them up, you will still be unable to prove that they don't exist. And yet it will be obvious and factual that they do not exist. It will be quite clear that it is an invention and there is certainly no rational reason to "believe" it (and probably very good reasons not to).

To me, it's as if the god fables are presented anew. It is known that the current version of "god" was invented and modified by a committee of vested interests within recorded history. The evolution of "god", from early polydeities to the currently accepted and locally popular version of a single omnipotent deity, is well documented. It is a confabulation of previous myths which were then discarded. "God" is a distilled and finely tuned anthropomorphic manifestation of the fables and guesswork of men who thought the earth was flat. In reading history, we can watch the invention evolve. Since it is an obvious, and flawed invention of ancient ignorance and superstitious, I feel OK about dismissing it out of hand in exactly the same way that the purist will dismiss Santa Claus and Superman without much mention of negative proof.

To me it is of some significance that the alleged xian deity does not yield to examination. The harder we look, the more invisible he gets. All the clues are exactly the same as for something that is non-existent - it cannot be seen or detected in any way and never leaves any objective evidence of any sort. Yeah, I know - absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, but at some point we can stop looking for unicorns.

The whole religious complexion of the modern world is due to the absence from Jerusalem of a lunatic asylum. ~ Havelock Ellis

Among the primitives, it appears that rumors and fantastic stories were passed on as fact with little critical skepticism applied. Few were savvy enough to question such things and those who were, were strongly dissuaded from doing so. There was little that resembled scientific methodology and there were few tools available for critical examination of such stories. This does not add to the credibility of the ancient myths. It shows them for what they are - urban legends so poorly reported and so unverifiable that they could never be used in a news report today. In fact people who claim to speak to gods are now routinely confined and heavily medicated. As students of History and Science, we know that the ancient myths can be disregarded as far as they represent an understanding of the workings of the universe. They correspond to reality not at all.

For my part, I don't see how grownups can believe any of that shit.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atheism 101: A Guide For New Atheists by tobechi74: 10:28pm On Feb 21, 2013
Logic boy, is op ur son?

1 Like

Re: Atheism 101: A Guide For New Atheists by ooman(m): 2:04pm On Feb 23, 2013
tobechi74: Logic boy, is op ur son?

nope angry
Re: Atheism 101: A Guide For New Atheists by wiegraf: 2:38pm On Feb 23, 2013
As @lb retires Ooman will become the Chosen.

1 Like

Re: Atheism 101: A Guide For New Atheists by ooman(m): 9:47pm On Feb 26, 2013
wiegraf: As @lb retires Ooman will become the Chosen.

Do you believe in the Holy Spirit, Wiegraf?
Re: Atheism 101: A Guide For New Atheists by BedLam: 10:16pm On Feb 26, 2013
@ooman, nice work! in 3weeks time, I will come here and give MY TESTIMONY—THE LONELY HIGHWAY TO ATHEISM.
Re: Atheism 101: A Guide For New Atheists by wiegraf: 12:36am On Feb 27, 2013
ooman:

Do you believe in the Holy Spirit, Wiegraf?

Hmmm?
Re: Atheism 101: A Guide For New Atheists by Nobody: 5:09am On Feb 27, 2013
wiegraf: As @lb retires Ooman will become the Chosen.
Lol, so true...
Re: Atheism 101: A Guide For New Atheists by ooman(m): 8:30am On Feb 27, 2013
musKeeto:
Lol, so true...

Chosen? Are you kidding? Who/what is he/it who chooses?
Re: Atheism 101: A Guide For New Atheists by Nobody: 8:32am On Feb 27, 2013
ooman:

Chosen? Are you kidding? Who/what is he/it who chooses?
ah.. truly anointed, equally sensitive.. tongue

1 Like

Re: Atheism 101: A Guide For New Atheists by Nobody: 8:32am On Feb 27, 2013
Great OP btw. truly enjoyed it.. cheesy
Re: Atheism 101: A Guide For New Atheists by mazaje(m): 11:27am On Feb 27, 2013
ooman: Someone has to say it, so I'll do it - There is no "god". Period. It a childishly obvious fairy tale, and, like Santa Claus and Superman, should never be believed by an adult with a working brain.

Believers of the ancient god-fables will of course rail at that pronouncement. Well, sorry, but they've had 2000 years to make their case and all they've managed to do is make a lot of people very miserable. They have resorted to everything from the Manchurian Candidate-style brainwashing of defenseless children (see Jesus Camp), to torture and murder, to genocide and religious war and still can't prove that their alleged deity exists. Threats and intimidation have always been much more persuasive for them than the merits of the concept. Despite the efforts of their best minds, they have manage to produce only the lamest of arguments. In the end they are left with the same tools as any charlatans - pretty lies, a story that is just too good to be true. Can't collect until after you're dead and no one ever asks for their money back.

For the beginners, atheism is quite simple - where theism means a "belief in god(s)", a-theism means "without a belief in god(s)". Essentially it pertains to those who do not subscribe to the ancient god-fables. It is the default state of all Humans from birth. In its basic form it is not an assertion that god does not exist, it is simply the philosophical position that one does not happen to share that particular belief. It is merely an "Excuse me?" response to an unbelievable tale. Atheism in its "harder" form is the clear recognition the all god claims are merely ancient mythology and are obviously false.

I take a slightly different position which may cause philosophical purists some heartburn. I assert with confidence that "god" does not exist. Purists would take issue with my apparent assertion of a negative proof. That is not the case, however. I agree that a negative cannot be proven. The burden of proof is obviously and necessarily on the affirmative position - the one that claims that god does exist - rather than on those who failed to fall for it.. As yet, those making that rather extraordinary claim have yet to provide one single shred of objective, irrefutable evidence in support of their claim.
I arrive at my position from another direction. If I come to you and tell you that invisible beings are present in the room with us, but that I just made them up, you will still be unable to prove that they don't exist. And yet it will be obvious and factual that they do not exist. It will be quite clear that it is an invention and there is certainly no rational reason to "believe" it (and probably very good reasons not to).

To me, it's as if the god fables are presented anew. It is known that the current version of "god" was invented and modified by a committee of vested interests within recorded history. The evolution of "god", from early polydeities to the currently accepted and locally popular version of a single omnipotent deity, is well documented. It is a confabulation of previous myths which were then discarded. "God" is a distilled and finely tuned anthropomorphic manifestation of the fables and guesswork of men who thought the earth was flat. In reading history, we can watch the invention evolve. Since it is an obvious, and flawed invention of ancient ignorance and superstitious, I feel OK about dismissing it out of hand in exactly the same way that the purist will dismiss Santa Claus and Superman without much mention of negative proof.

To me it is of some significance that the alleged xian deity does not yield to examination. The harder we look, the more invisible he gets. All the clues are exactly the same as for something that is non-existent - it cannot be seen or detected in any way and never leaves any objective evidence of any sort. Yeah, I know - absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, but at some point we can stop looking for unicorns.

The whole religious complexion of the modern world is due to the absence from Jerusalem of a lunatic asylum. ~ Havelock Ellis

Among the primitives, it appears that rumors and fantastic stories were passed on as fact with little critical skepticism applied. Few were savvy enough to question such things and those who were, were strongly dissuaded from doing so. There was little that resembled scientific methodology and there were few tools available for critical examination of such stories. This does not add to the credibility of the ancient myths. It shows them for what they are - urban legends so poorly reported and so unverifiable that they could never be used in a news report today. In fact people who claim to speak to gods are now routinely confined and heavily medicated. As students of History and Science, we know that the ancient myths can be disregarded as far as they represent an understanding of the workings of the universe. They correspond to reality not at all.

For my part, I don't see how grownups can believe any of that shit.

Very nice write up. . .
Re: Atheism 101: A Guide For New Atheists by mazaje(m): 11:28am On Feb 27, 2013
tobechi74: Logic boy, is op ur son?

Is there anything in the OP that is wrong or false?. . .
Re: Atheism 101: A Guide For New Atheists by Nobody: 11:33am On Feb 27, 2013
Nice op
Re: Atheism 101: A Guide For New Atheists by Nobody: 12:48pm On Feb 28, 2013
musKeeto:
ah.. truly anointed, equally sensitive.. tongue

Mr muskeeto, are those four noodlings you, ooman, logicboy03 and bella3.

1 Like

Re: Atheism 101: A Guide For New Atheists by Nobody: 1:19pm On Feb 28, 2013
kmcutez:

Mr muskeeto, are those four noodlings you, ooman, logicboy03 and bella3.
U no well o.. Lmao... Bella3 no follow o.. :-P
Re: Atheism 101: A Guide For New Atheists by Nobody: 1:27pm On Feb 28, 2013
musKeeto:
U no well o.. Lmao... Bella3 no follow o.. :-P

Hehe, but we needed a female for that command to work. Those sphagetti monsters giving the command looks like Mr Anony and Mr Ihedinobi.
Re: Atheism 101: A Guide For New Atheists by wiegraf: 8:02pm On Feb 28, 2013
kmcutez:

Hehe, but we needed a female for that command to work. Those sphagetti monsters giving the command looks like Mr Anony and Mr Ihedinobi.

Despite being omnipotent they gave birth to heretics, in the spirit of their logical mastah yah'weh of course.
Re: Atheism 101: A Guide For New Atheists by Nobody: 4:12am On Mar 01, 2013
grin
Re: Atheism 101: A Guide For New Atheists by ooman(m): 3:55pm On Mar 01, 2013
mazaje:

Is there anything in the OP that is wrong or false?. . .

are u saying something?

(1) (Reply)

Have Ever Felt Held Down In Your Sleep That You Cant Even Scream / A Female Preacher Who Preaches Will Her Titties Hanging Out! / The Psalms Of Obadiah777 In The Sixth Trumpet Of The Lions Den

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.