Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,138 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:58 AM

Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites - Programming (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites (9880 Views)

Cost Of Developing An Application Like Youtube In Nigeria / Best Operating System For Programming! / How Long Does It Take To Develop An Operating System From Scratchevr (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by ciphoenix: 8:13pm On Feb 23, 2013
i see he's still at it,
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by lordZOUGA(m): 8:18pm On Feb 23, 2013
@op, you have to understand that there is nothing wrong with your idea.
you have no idea how easy it is to create a new OS using the linux kernel.
unless you made a new programming language...
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by justthinking: 8:23pm On Feb 23, 2013
Abrantie GH: Microsoft did not create MS-DOS. Bill gates bought an OS called CP/M-80 from a company called Seattle Computer Products for $50,000 and changed the name.
not only the name. they bought it and modify it to work for IBM machines. without dare modification it wont be able to work with IBM specification. so to me they created it. another example is how linux torvald modify a unix system to create a linux system. to the world he created linux
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by ciphoenix: 8:30pm On Feb 23, 2013
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by justthinking: 8:34pm On Feb 23, 2013
i actually dont think anyone is discouraging him frm creating his OS for the matter of fact it gonna be one of the proudest moment for we nigerians. the tin is just that u cant just wake up a day and say you want to create an OS. especially for someone who seem just to start programming language. it just someone who just started physics and his already planning to build a space shuttle. from what av seen so far, ppl want to help, dare just telling him the grey areas and problem he might encounter along the way.
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by AbrantieGH(m): 9:07pm On Feb 23, 2013
just_thinking: not only the name. they bought it and modify it to work for IBM machines. without dare modification it wont be able to work with IBM specification. so to me they created it. another example is how linux torvald modify a unix system to create a linux system. to the world he created linux
Linus Tovalds did not modify UNIX to come up with Linux. After all, he couldn't do that even if he wanted to because UNIX is not open source.

He wrote Linux's kernel from scratch (without seeing the UNIX source code) to function like UNIX.

Secondly, Bill Gates didn't do much to CP/M-80 (which, by the way, was also a clone of CP/M owned by another company) to get his MS-DOS.

I'm not trying to take away from the accomplishments of Bill Gates. The reason why he's successful is not because he was a techie, but because he was business smart. The tech industry is litered with corpses of geniuses that died broke simply because they didn't have what it took to make money out of their inventions.

We could say Bill Gates got a lucky break. I don't know how the history of microsoft would have turned out had this deal with IBM not landed on his lap.

I mean, to sum it up, Microsoft got paid royalty for every single machine IBM sold... and let me tell you, they sold a boat load. Bill gates turned a $50,000 investment into $MILLIONS! While that was happening though, he continued to improve the product and eventually came up with Windows (inspired by Apple Macintosh, which was also bought/copied from Xerox).
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by csharpjava(m): 9:43pm On Feb 23, 2013
Alot has been said here about Bill Gates. To know more about Bill Gates, we need to read about his early life on Wikipedia

At 13 he enrolled in the Lakeside School, an exclusive preparatory school.[20] When he was in the eighth grade, the Mothers Club at the school used proceeds from Lakeside School's rummage sale to buy a Teletype Model 33 ASR terminal and a block of computer time on a General Electric (GE) computer for the school's students.[21] Gates took an interest in programming the GE system in BASIC, and was excused from math classes to pursue his interest. He wrote his first computer program on this machine: an implementation of tic-tac-toe that allowed users to play games against the computer. Gates was fascinated by the machine and how it would always execute software code perfectly. When he reflected back on that moment, he said, "There was just something neat about the machine."[22] After the Mothers Club donation was exhausted, he and other students sought time on systems including DEC PDP minicomputers. One of these systems was a PDP-10 belonging to Computer Center Corporation (CCC), which banned four Lakeside students—Gates, Paul Allen, Ric Weiland, and Kent Evans—for the summer after it caught them exploiting bugs in the operating system to obtain free computer time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Gates
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by lordZOUGA(m): 9:51pm On Feb 23, 2013
thread successfully derailed
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by justthinking: 9:53pm On Feb 23, 2013
Abrantie GH: Linus Tovalds did not modify UNIX to come up with Linux. After all, he couldn't do that even if he wanted to because UNIX is not open source.

He wrote Linux's kernel from scratch (without seeing the UNIX source code) to function like UNIX.

Secondly, Bill Gates didn't do much to CP/M-80 (which, by the way, was also a clone of CP/M owned by another company) to get his MS-DOS.

I'm not trying to take away from the accomplishments of Bill Gates. The reason why he's successful is not because he was a techie, but because he was business smart. The tech industry is litered with corpses of geniuses that died broke simply because they didn't have what it took to make money out of their inventions.

We could say Bill Gates got a lucky break. I don't know how the historry of microsoft would have turned out had this deal with IBM not landed on his lap.

I mean, to sum it up, Microsoft got paid royalty for every single machine IBM sold... and they sold a boatload. Bill gates turned a $50,000 investment into $MILLIONS!
i dont tink so. truly unix is not open source even AT&T filled a lawsuite againt BSD for using some of unix 6 code but in 1986, Maurice J. Bach, of AT&T Bell Labs, published The Design of the UNIX Operating System. This definitive description principally covered the System V Release 2 kernel, with some new features from Release 3 and BSD. and also truly linus created is own kernel wich is use for linux. but he developed the kernel on a mimix system wich is a unix system used for academics. that is why dare are alot of similarities between a unix system and a linux system because there kernel is almost the same that even in June 1994 in GNU's bulletin, Linux was referred to as a "free UNIX clone". and truly u can hardly see a strong difference between the TWO
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by csharpjava(m): 9:58pm On Feb 23, 2013
lordZOUGA: thread successfully derailed

Sorry O, let the arguments continue............
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by BloggingIq: 10:15pm On Feb 23, 2013
ghostofsparta:

Sure, what I have in mind is 10% closer but doesn't project holographically.

Please can you elaborate on this - "what I have in mind is 10% closer"
also please do not allow the hard part of your idea stop you, keep going,
its within your reach to achieve whatever!!
you can start small, test yourself,
code something that you can sell, something that companies will kill for,
you can then use the proceeds to fund/start your big idea,

A time will come when you will need investors, so you need to build you CV first= code/create something small but mighty
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by AbrantieGH(m): 10:31pm On Feb 23, 2013
just_thinking: i dont tink so. truly unix is not open source even AT&T filled a lawsuite againt BSD for using some of unix 6 code but in 1986, Maurice J. Bach, of AT&T Bell Labs, published The Design of the UNIX Operating System. This definitive description principally covered the System V Release 2 kernel, with some new features from Release 3 and BSD. and also truly linus created is own kernel wich is use for linux. but he developed the kernel on a mimix system wich is a unix system used for academics. that is why dare are alot of similarities between a unix system and a linux system because there kernel is almost the same that even in June 1994 in GNU's bulletin, Linux was referred to as a "free UNIX clone". and truly u can hardly see a strong difference between the TWO

He may have developed the Linux kernel on a system which works like UNIX but he had no access to UNIX'S source code.

I know how to use Microsoft word. I use it every day. One day, I may decide to write a word processor like MS Word. When I do, would you say I modiffied MS Word to get mine? I don't think so. More than likely, I loved MS Word so much and was inspired to write the exact same thing to further add my own twist.
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by WhiZTiM(m): 10:31pm On Feb 23, 2013
csharpjava:

Sorry O, let the arguments continue............
hahahaha!!!
Now, this made me to fall off my chair laughing!!....
Having so much fun @this.
Thumbs up to every poster here...
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by AbrantieGH(m): 10:42pm On Feb 23, 2013
The reason why the open source movement came about was because average techies like you were so much vested in the software you use daily. You had big ideas on how those softwares could be improved, but unfortunately weren't privvy to their source codes.

So the only way to make that happen was to "re-create" the original product thereby having full control. That's why the open source GPL license requires that all modifications to the original code be made freely available for others.
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by AZeD1(m): 12:01am On Feb 24, 2013
OP while i won't tell you not to pursue your dream, i say what i think about it.

1)If you want to build an OS for educational purposes then good one(i would love to do that too)but if its for commercial purposes, then i think that boat has sailed and this are my reasons
a)Linux has been chasing Windows for years yet they have not succeeded and it's not down to lack of trying
b)The speed at which the computer industry is moving, by the time you finish your OS, there's a 50% chance it would already be outdated.
c)The browser is becoming the new OS(ChromeBook, HTML5 with its new capabilities, cloud computing)

2) Even if you manage to build an OS from scratch, you need OEM's and 3rd party developers to help move it forward. 20+ years of linux and they are just getting OEM's to manufacture pc's and laptops pre-installed with ubuntu. There are also so many apps that can run natively on linux.

My advice, if you are bent on building an OS, go down the linux kernel root.
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by ghostofsparta(m): 1:49am On Feb 24, 2013
lordZOUGA: thread successfully derailed
Let's try to railroad it back
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by ghostofsparta(m): 2:12am On Feb 24, 2013
BloggingIq:
Please can you elaborate on this - "what I have in mind is 10% closer"
Don't think I don't know what you're trying to do, the only thing you can extract is this last clue: what i have in mind is a complete overhaul of the OS idea, a whole new approach, a different concept, it's like using a spoon without a spoon, something that projects inward, rather than the holographic outward projection. wink
BloggingIq:
code something that you can sell, something that companies will kill for,
you can then use the proceeds to fund/start your big idea
Well, if I'm a seasoned coder, I wouldn't mind if it cost spending the rest of my life on it.
A-ZeD:

The speed at which the computer industry is moving, by the time you finish your OS, there's a 50% chance it would already be outdated.
I vehemently doubt that, regardless of Moore's Law, if there's a 100% chance it get outdated prior to unveiling, then I haven't being good at blocking telepaths, must have underestimated the possibility of genetically engineered mind readers grin.
BloggingIq:
A time will come when you will need investors, so you need to build you CV first= code/create something small but mighty
Why is an investor necessary in anything, must it be a must?
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by ghostofsparta(m): 2:21am On Feb 24, 2013
A-ZeD:
My advice, if you are bent on building an OS, go down the linux kernel root.
What exactly is a Linux? What (not who) created it?
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by dasdexter(m): 7:17am On Feb 24, 2013
kambo: your post doest take long to betray you as a jjc.
you dont even know how to align curly braces in c,c++ yet you want to "write operating systems". chill. bang your head on the languages first,then pick a book and stretch your
mind a little.
an os that gives windows a run for its..
*yawn* - windows (not to discourage you) - is very well thought out. believe me.
to have and retain market dominance,it must be a solid product else it could have been
swept off the market ages ago by other Os'es and they are plenty of other operating systems
,not only linux.
windows has over 8 million lines of code.
or it 33 million lines! - but the code base is plenty.
it will take you (100 * 100 years to code it up.)
.besides - windows will be doing research on the next big thing..
that next big thing could be your novel idea!
but nevertheless, writing an os is a requisite in good cs degree programmes.
good luck and stop fantasizing..
dude well said, an os built by jst a single beginner programmer(regardless of hw unique ur ideas might b) dat can rival not to talk of dominate, windows(baba of all os), android(pikin wey dey grow lyk broilers), ios(stingy but sleek os dats ones rival rival microsoft but couldn't dominate) & linux(d foundation of all os), mehn u nid to sit dwn & crack ur skull,pray 4 21hrs for invented codes 4rm heaven, & sit down wit ur finger's on high-end rugged pc not lappy or dose fancy toys dey call tablet wit a mad processing power, unlimited no. Of rams, grafix card capable of rendering god of war ascenscion for ur os to b recognize, dats wen u can tink of rivalry b4 dominance(dats if it's possible).

1 Like

Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by justthinking: 8:29am On Feb 24, 2013
Abrantie GH:

He may have developed the Linux kernel on a system which works like UNIX but he had no access to UNIX'S source code.

I know how to use Microsoft word. I use it every day. One day, I may decide to write a word processor like MS Word. When I do, would you say I modiffied MS Word to get mine? I don't think so. More than likely, I loved MS Word so much and was inspired to write the exact same thing to further add my own twist.
ok i underdstand. are you a programmer.
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by AZeD1(m): 9:25am On Feb 24, 2013
ghostofsparta:
What exactly is a Linux? What (not who) created it?
Linux is an operating system that is free to download and modify.

1 Like

Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by ghostofsparta(m): 11:25am On Feb 24, 2013
A-ZeD:

Linux is an operating system that is free to download and modify.

Okay, what is Linux based on, as in what was used to create Linux?
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by lordZOUGA(m): 11:32am On Feb 24, 2013
ghostofsparta:

you should research this yourself. Infact you should have known all this before you start thinking about making an OS. from your posts on this thread, I'd say you have no desire in making an OS. you just want something geek about.
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by AZeD1(m): 11:54am On Feb 24, 2013
ghostofsparta:

C
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by success9(m): 12:21pm On Feb 24, 2013
@ghostofsparta. Send me an email...and i will let u in on my thoughts...it is doable. My add...vawolowo@yahoo.com
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by BloggingIq: 1:38pm On Feb 24, 2013
@ OP

These are how you describe your product -
"OS entirely different from the conventional ones.....
even beyond super-futuristic types ....
It's far from what everyone is used to .....
a complete overhaul of the OS idea .....
a whole new approach, a different concept ....
it's like using a spoon without a spoon ....."

These are nice to say the least,
but to accomplish your goal you definitely need -

A super genius mind - your concept requires a leap in ingeniousness
that can never be learned, it happens like magic,
that is codes will just appear inside your head

Business Smart - you would have to be real business smart to really push your product,

Money - that is why I said you have to first sell something small but mighty
that will get you loads of funds

That been said,your dream can still happen only if you get a
team that has those 3 main attributes, anything less then its a no go area cry

That is why I wish I can code, this kind of breakthrough products is better if the concept owner is the genius one
I have ideas that can potentially make big impacts on tech products but I cant code it, I can only think!

Besides, the browser is becoming the new OS, my own idea lies in coding browsers
with game changing features that is completely new!!!
the koko is to be the first to think and make something new -
it does not matter if its based on Linus or not, just something that tens of millions of folks will like, and buy.

Do this, and your name goes down as an INVENTOR - new Operating System or not
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by ciphoenix: 3:42pm On Feb 24, 2013
Something tells me he's thinking about BCI stuff
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by success9(m): 3:58pm On Feb 24, 2013
@bloggingIQ. Well said brother... I have a beautiful concept of how it be done. Ingenuity on his part, others ...
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by BloggingIq: 4:25pm On Feb 24, 2013
success_07: @bloggingIQ. Well said brother...
I have a beautiful concept of how it be done.
Ingenuity on his part, others ...

Good! You have the idea on how to go about this,
but please what exactly is the concept?

My own concept can only be created by super genius mind,
someone who can code a problem solving program,
I know the problem, and it applies to anyone with a PC or mobile device

So a super genius mind - anyone?
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by Nobody: 6:39pm On Feb 24, 2013
i dont think the op knows anything about programming!
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by crossfire(m): 11:40pm On Feb 24, 2013
Don't get discouraged by the nay Sayers, there are some no gooders here that will simply call you a fool for even daring to think that you can design an OS. In my experience such people never achieve anything worthwhile. I don't know you so i cant estimate your cerebral capability, but designing an OS is daunting to say the least. My philosophy in life is that nothing is impossible. I designed a world class cyber cafe inventory and billing software from scratch. Even though it took me four years, at the end i was very happy that i did it. When i thought of designing this software to tell you the truth i knew nothing about a lot of the concepts i later implemented in the design. So what am i saying : motivation is a key ingredient in any endeavor.
You can do it! But to be fair to you, you have to understand the underlying hardware very well(ie processor, graphics card, interrupts, memory etc). Are you writing an OS for Intel processors or for the mac or even for BlackBerry?
Next you have to have a commanding grasp of "c". because this is the "Latin" that you'll be expressing your thoughts in.
Next you have to understand a host of data structures like leafs, trees, arrays,lists, linked lists, and compound structures that combine the simpler ones.
Next you have to be a master of assembly language (this is another crazy aspect of OS programming.There are some statements that even "c" can't explain to the understanding of the hardware cool)
Next you have to be a masochist programmer (OS programming requires thousands of hours of testing and debugging)
Next you have to have a will of steel.(because there will be a lot of opportunities for discouragement)
Next you have to be as patient as the word "patience"
Next you have to study other people's code because a lot of the concepts you'll implement in yours will be burrowed and modified.
Next you have to be a die hard googler (these days codes and ideas are shared online freely as long as you know where to go).

But trust me, if you think you can do it you can.

TOP SECRET: Linus Torvalds didn't write LINUX from scratch!
Re: Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites by crossfire(m): 11:50pm On Feb 24, 2013
ghostofsparta:

Well said, but how are game engines like Crytek's CryEngine(s) made? Also do game programming simply means developing an engine that efficiently control and governs all the constituents of an intended game?

I am not a game programmer, neither do i develop GUI for any gaming software company, so my response to your question is only an educated guess based on my experience in other less tedious areas of programming.
Game programming has to comprise of at least 2 core areas namely: the engine and the GUI. The engine, just as the kernel in an OS is that aspect of the software that handles the core logic.Programming the engine is not easy, but neither is it nearly as difficult as brain surgery.Let me give an overly simplistic explanation of how the logic might be expressed. Lets say we're programming a soccer game, how do i score a goal? The soccer pitch might be expressed as an array of scalars that is mapped into by a function that takes in the co ordinates of the field as inputs. let's call this function "F". So the middle of the field might be represented as F(0,0), the left goal line F(-99,-99) and the right goal line (F99,99). F returns a scalar that represents the exact spot that a player, or the ball is at any given time. Now the reason we need this mapping function is simply to be able to do comparisms in an if statement. So how do i express to the user that a goal has been scored? The ball is a vector,( just as each player is a vector) now once this vector is greater than(or less than, as the case may be) the scalar that is represented by the functions F(99,99) or F(-99,-99) this means that the ball has crossed the goal line, flash a neon sign that screams "GOAL!!!" That's the engine. The engine also handles things like the color of jeysey, and statistics like bookings (red card, yellow card, warnings), it stores this in a database and refers to them as needed. Programming the engine is not rocket science.
The spectre of complexity begins to rear it's head when you start dabbling with the GUI, the reason is simple : you have to manipulate the graphics card. In my opinion a GUI designer for a gaming software like soccer has to have a firm graps of mathematical concepts like topological spaces, vector spaces, group theory, ODEs and PDEs. I have taken a shot at the ball, how does it move? What's the angle of elevation? What's the speed? what was the speed of the player before the ball was hit? If there was a deflection, what's the angle? What's the distance of the ball to the goal post? You have to take all these things into consideration before explaining how the ball will move to the graphics card (fair lady). Now you have to do this in such a way that it looks pleasing and perfect to the user punching his game pad and trying to score a goal. In short the effect has to be natural. (Have u noticed any real difference between a soccer game on PS 3 and any live game between arsenal and chelsea?).
Now you have to explain these programatically through the "professor" sorry processor. You don't speak directly to the fair lady, God forbid. But it often happens that the professor communicates to the lady things you never intended. "c" is unforgiving like satan and will dis own you when that happens and when the lady gets angry, they simply team up and come back for your life!
Now despite it's sinister reputation "c" is the language of choice for such masochistic programming endeavor for the simple reason that it's very difficult to explain difficult mathematical concepts to the "professor" with a language like c++ or c# or even java. Try explaining everything i wrote above to your grand mother in your native vernacular, my guess is you can't.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Gov Ambode Has Plans For One Million Lucky Lagosians / Create A Nested Lists Of Categories In Laravel 5 / Trivia Coding Questions (euler Project)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.