Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,568 members, 7,809,068 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:16 PM

The Word ["amen"] - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Word ["amen"] (1985 Views)

Typing Amen On Facebook Picture Stories / The Pagan Origin Of The Word "AMEN" / Is Bible The Word of God? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Word ["amen"] by Free(f): 2:32pm On May 04, 2006
Pagan? African Egyptian or Evil Origin?
Re: The Word ["amen"] by Free(f): 2:33pm On May 04, 2006
Re: The Word ["amen"] by TayoD(m): 2:50pm On May 04, 2006
Free,

Don't bother yourself with the needless. Are you going to start tracing the origin of every word? To the Christian, Amen just means "So be it". Christianity is the great confession, and we affirm what we have heard and agreed upon in prayer by the word 'Amen'. You will find several use of the word in the New Testament which I'm sure predates the encyclopedia that writer alludes to.

By the way, what are those writer's sources of the information he boldly diseseminates? Do you believe all that is written there? Assuming there was a god being worshipped by that name, Amenities or whatever, the amen we speak has absolutely nothing to do with it.
Re: The Word ["amen"] by 4getme1(m): 3:19pm On May 04, 2006
Good talk, TayoD.

These days people are ever on a race to redefine the Christian faith that they would do anything just to "prove" that it is an unnecessary evil. Pardon me, but have you noticed that even when they do these researches, they ignore certain things, twist others and arrive at slanted meanings and conclusions that beg the questions? Let me tease you: due to the nature of my work, I travel a lot and guess what? The other day I was in Sweden and had to learn so many things about words we take for granted. Sample these:

Swedish - English

bad - bath

hell! - hail! (an interjectory greeting)

mat - food/meal

far - father
. . . etc.

Guess what is the word for the number "six"? You won't want to know! lipsrsealed

The simple word for faith agreement in Christian prayer is "Amen" - and so shall it be, regardless the redefinitions.
Re: The Word ["amen"] by jagunlabi(m): 3:51pm On May 04, 2006
Thank you for the link jare,free.A little bit of education never hurts anybody. smiley
Free:

http://www.free-minds.org/articles/history/amen.htm

Re: The Word ["amen"] by dominobaby(f): 7:50pm On May 04, 2006
Hmm, i tell u, nt all information is gud to hear, there are erroneous doctrines, beware. Stick to ur bible, any information that goes against what has been stated in d bible aint from God.
Re: The Word ["amen"] by 4getme1(m): 8:08pm On May 04, 2006
You win my respect and applause for that. Bless your heart. wink
Re: The Word ["amen"] by dominobaby(f): 9:30pm On May 04, 2006
Bless u too, 4get_me, trust me i aint 4gettn u.
Re: The Word ["amen"] by 4getme1(m): 1:54pm On May 05, 2006
Thnx cheesy
Re: The Word ["amen"] by Seun(m): 4:48pm On May 05, 2006
According to the article, the word "amen" cannot be found in the Q'uran. But it can definitely be found in the bible.
Re: The Word ["amen"] by 4getme1(m): 5:52pm On May 05, 2006
And your point is?
Re: The Word ["amen"] by kimba(m): 6:43pm On May 05, 2006
@Free

Of what good will tracing the meaning of the word be to you?

Just wondering.
Re: The Word ["amen"] by 4getme1(m): 7:25pm On May 05, 2006
Hey guys, I don't think the article ought o disturb our peace at all. I'd read i earlier but had very little time to point out a few things, which now I offer:

1) The author Azfar Samin quipped that the Prophet of Islam could not have uttered such a blasphemy (that is, "Amen" or "Amin"wink as the Hadith did not come into existence until 200-300 years after the Prophet had died.

2) The reader needs to understand that the author sees the Hadith as an untrustworthy document (even though most Muslims highly regard it!). I suspect that the website is being operated by some Shia Muslims who take a stance against the Sunni interpretation of Islam. Another (M. Asadi) wrote another article accusing the Hadith of being a conspiracy on "how Islam's distortion took place".

3) After playing the blame game of "amen" on Christianity and Judaism, Azfar Samin went on to connect the word with some Egyptian and early paganism. He does this by cleverly trying to run a mock "root letters AMN" of what he supposed the word "amen" would have been derived.

4) Finally, he asks the question: "Can't we find some other word to express our conviction to God Almighty?" Now, is anyone surprised that he had nothing to offer?? This guy spent a full page criticising the Prophet, the Hadith, the "Amen/Amin" word, castigates every other Muslim of the dangerous "middle ground" of the "Sahih" (the True Hadith). . . and finally, he has NO alternative word to offer?

5) Is anyone going to be credulous enough to take this guy seriously? Wait, his name is Azfar Samin. . . do you catch the drift that the guy doesn't like his own name "Samin"? I mean, take another look - remove the "S" and what root word do you have? The same "amin". . . so add it up:

S + amin = Samin.

Phew!! Felas and ladies, this guy is a joker. Laugh his jokes off and be not perturbed. cheesy
Re: The Word ["amen"] by mamagee3(f): 1:43am On Feb 03, 2010
It's from a biblical Origin.
Re: The Word ["amen"] by jagunlabi(m): 12:51pm On Feb 03, 2010
Muslims also say that word during their daily rituals and prayers, so it is not exclusive to christianity.
"AMEN", an interesting word.Does it mean what the christians/muslims say it means, or it means something else?
Or is "Amen" a name pretending to be a word that means, "so be it"?

The god of ancient egyptian religion is called;
AMEN
AMUN
AMON

or;
AMEN RA
AMUN RA
AMON RA

The all seeing eye of RA on the dollar bill and the logo that say, "In God(RA) We Trust", plus the obelisk in Washington DC, the capital of a country that is claimed to be built on christian values. . .

What really is this religion called christianity?Is it an ancient pagan sun worshipping in disguise? Have the adherents of these religions been cleverly manipulated into praying and worshipping the egyptian sun god, Amun/Amen Ra?That is an intriguing question for individuals to answer for themselves.

(1) (Reply)

Why Is Science And Reasoning Such A Bad Thing? / Who Is The Truth? Christ Or Mohammed? / Does Intelligence Increase Atheism?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.