Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,477 members, 7,801,204 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 12:23 PM

Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 - TV/Movies (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 (14286 Views)

Denrele Attacked For Sending Beverly Osu To Represent Nigeria At Big Brother / Tonto Dike To Represent Nigeria In Big Brother Africa / The Oscars 2007 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by VillageBoi(m): 5:52am On Feb 24, 2013
HisRib:
LOL. That's so true. What amazes me is how the producers of the movie skipped all the "talented" actors/actresses in Nollywood for a former street child with no acting experience. This should be a wake up call for Nollywood.

I laff till I choke on the chicken bone I dey suck like straw! The producers of the movie would not for anything have 'Nollywood' on their radar. I know it's so easy for us to bash our talentless actors/actresses, however, 99% of our dime-a-dozen directors are so bad they cannot bring out any form talent in people.

Nollywood should have woken up since from the days of 'City Of God' that used never-acted-before-village-people as the cast in their Oscar winning film. Also when the highest of the high of 'Nollywood' acting talent says "I didn't have to research the role, I used my imagination" then it's gonna be very hard to get 'our acting' to improve.

From the clip posted earlier on where the 'babe' was too concerned about her hair to dive into the pool to save someone - all the old crop of Nollywood directors and cast need to be written off. Have you seen the movie 'War Witch'? No known 'Nollywood' star would take such a role lest they get their fingernails dirty. These visionless, talentless, big headed old crop of Nollywood CANNOT learn new tricks... the ONLY hope Nigerian filmmaking has is the new young people that are learning loads of stuff online, experimenting with their shorts, figuring stuff out in conjunction with new acting talent that hasn't yet been hit by the "I'm far too important of a celebrity to take direction" bug.

The old crop is a utter rubbish for the simple fact that not one of them can learn how to convincingly fake an accent and evey single one of them is far too 'Westrnised' and absolutely ashamed to speak with their own superbly beautiful natural native accent = Acting-101 FAIL!
Oh well, of course we'll have the 'Naijeinsteins' screaming and shouting next in some fake Yankee accent "We don't need white approval." but forgetting that his/her by-force accent is a dead giveaway of his/her inferiority complex. Nuff said, I'm bored now lol.

Nollywood has faaaaaaaaar to go! Time for one usual supect prayer - "E go berra... somehow."
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by VillageBoi(m): 5:55am On Feb 24, 2013
CFCfan: Nollywood will surely improve..

Gbam... nothing truer said. It has no other choice... it will definitely improve! The new is replacing the old.
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by Nobody: 10:39am On Feb 24, 2013
I was expecting to see a very beautiful girl.

Hiaaaan!!!
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by Kajina: 4:36pm On Feb 24, 2013
HisRib:

Oh be quiet. Your so called Nollywood stars would sell their soul for a chance to act in that movie. She has reached the place every actor in this world dreams of. She got there with pure talent. Didn't have to walk around half naked or sleep with anyone to get the role. I'm just gonna tell it like it is boo.

My sister, Don't you mind these people. It's pure JEALOUSY! cheesy grin grin

Congrats to Rachel!!! The sky is the limit smiley

1 Like

Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by Kajina: 5:36pm On Feb 24, 2013
HisRib:

She will be the ONLY African in a movie that is nominated for the Oscars, hence, she will be representing us at the Oscars!

She will be the only representation of Africa indeed.

BTW, Canada is also proud she is representing Canada. Way to go girl!! cheesy I’m so happy for her. Would have been happier if she were a Ghanaian though grin grin grin Jokes!!

1 Like

Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by eddy1977(m): 10:49pm On Feb 25, 2013
The problem in nollyhood is not the actors.it's the producers and directors.
Seriously,for the low budget unprofessional stuff these nigerian actors do,please cut them some slacks.they are good.
Guys like tony umez.let him work with universal studio or Columbia.he can be the greatest African actor.
Sain obi.let him hit the gym.that guy could play the book of eli better than Denzel
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by tpia1: 4:13am On Feb 27, 2013
the actors would have had to live outside nigeria for sometime, i think, unless they get scripts which were written specifically with them in mind and which could blend in with the general movie.

you have to consider things like the nigerian accent, they could get voice coaches for that i suppose, if a role calls for more or less of it, they'd need agents to scout for roles for them,their look (ethnic) could also have to be taken into consideration, so many important things which have to be straightened out.

breaking into movie roles isnt easy, another option is starting with the ad/modelling industry, preferably at a young age.

going to acting/drama school overseas also helps.

just my opinion.

but basically, i think who you know is very important.

maybe nigerian actors from nigeria have been doing all these, cant tell really.
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by omar22(m): 3:18pm On Feb 27, 2013
Kajina:

BTW, Canada is also proud she is representing Canada. Way to go girl!! cheesy I’m so happy for her. Would have been happier if she were a Ghanaian though grin grin grin Jokes!!

Really

Danny Boyle that directed Slam Dog Millionaire..... didnt say that the guy who won best Original Song was representing the British Film industry but he was representing INDIA....

When they announced that SDM won, they were more Indian crew on the stage than any other nation......
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by omar22(m): 3:26pm On Feb 27, 2013
I hate it when people are quick to play the slave card when comparing Hollywood to Nollywood, the fact here is that people are quick to reject everything thats Hollywood, but they would accept Nollywood copying everything from Hollywood.... The truth does taste bitter but its the truth... is Genevieve better than Sophie Okenedo ? NO, is Omotola better than Halle Berry in acting? NO whats slavery about it?

I guess in your tiny world we should stop Nigerian footballers going abroad, once they leave 9ja we should disown them
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by eddy1977(m): 6:17pm On Feb 27, 2013
omar22: I hate it when people are quick to play the slave card when comparing Hollywood to Nollywood, the fact here is that people are quick to reject everything thats Hollywood, but they would accept Nollywood copying everything from Hollywood.... The truth does taste bitter but its the truth... is Genevieve better than Sophie Okenedo ? NO, is Omotola better than Halle Berry in acting? NO whats slavery about it?

I guess in your tiny world we should stop Nigerian footballers going abroad, once they leave 9ja we should disown them

Yes Genevieve is way better than Sophie okenedo. Omotola is a way way better actress than Halle berry.
Just give omotola sometimes at the feet of Tyler Perry or Morgan Freeman.let's say six months.let her hit the gym and buff up her core,tone up her tighs.let her work with a good script and a good film director.she will outshine your Halle berry.

Genevieve can take some yoga classes and get a little tune up from veteran actresses like Jodie foster or Angelina Jolie. Give Genevieve just that chance and she will outshine most household names.

Nigeria has great actresses.but no coaches,no mentors,no quality equipments,no directors,no interest in excellence. These actresses bury themselves by living between Lagos and London. They should learn from idris elba and jim Carey. You wanna maximize your talent, move to Atlanta,move to Vegas,move to los Angeles. Dont stay in Nigeria.unless you don't care about your career.
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by VillageBoi(m): 7:17pm On Feb 27, 2013
The same thing you said above you also said in your post below... (jump to the bottom for the rest)

eddy1977: The problem in nollyhood is not the actors.it's the producers and directors.
Seriously,for the low budget unprofessional stuff these nigerian actors do,please cut them some slacks.they are good.
Guys like tony umez.let him work with universal studio or Columbia.he can be the greatest African actor.
Sain obi.let him hit the gym.that guy could play the book of eli better than Denzel

eddy1977:

Yes Genevieve is way better than Sophie okenedo. Omotola is a way way better actress than Halle berry.
Just give omotola sometimes at the feet of Tyler Perry or Morgan Freeman.let's say six months.let her hit the gym and buff up her core,tone up her tighs.let her work with a good script and a good film director.she will outshine your Halle berry.

Genevieve can take some yoga classes and get a little tune up from veteran actresses like Jodie foster or Angelina Jolie. Give Genevieve just that chance and she will outshine most household names.

Nigeria has great actresses.but no coaches,no mentors,no quality equipments,no directors,no interest in excellence.

... So you think having a 'good/buff body' = great acting? You are way off point and actually seriously delusional. On another thing you mentioned "Nigeria has no quality equipment..." You are so wrong there... go to Nigeria and you will find the Arri Alexa & Red Epic anyhow. SMH
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by eddy1977(m): 10:28pm On Feb 27, 2013
VillageBoi: The same thing you said above you also said in your post below... (jump to the bottom for the rest)

... So you think having a 'good/buff body' = great acting? You are way off point and actually seriously delusional. On another thing you mentioned "Nigeria has no quality equipment..." You are so wrong there... go to Nigeria and you will find the Arri Alexa & Red Epic anyhow. SMH

I didnt say good body equals great acting.
Good body is a great plus to a good actor. Vin diesel,dwayne Johnson have great physics but horrible acting skills. Jill scott,john goodman have despicable bodies,but they are amazing actors.

Jolie has a killer body and she is an awesome actress.

Omotola has great " potential". Let her sit under tyler perry or Alec baldwin.
same with zack orji,bob manuel odokwu etc...

You can not deny the raw potential in nnaji or omotola. But if they stick around those loosers who call themselves directors of nollyhood,they will die with all that great potential.

Genevieve has the action movie type potential.like angelina Jolie. All she needs is to relocate to the usa. Not for the purpose of joining the nigerian community; but just like idriss elba or Boris kodjo.to enter Hollywood.

Take for instance chiwetal ejiofor. He played in salt with angelina jolie. He also acted with Denzel in the inside man.
What does he have that bob manual odokwu doesnt? Is he any betted than sylvester madu or emeka enyiocha? No.
He just works with better directors along side great actors.

I have never been to Nigeria or any of its neighboring country.so i dont know the exact cameras they work with.but i have seen some of their behind the scenes.just one guy with a home type amateur camera from bestbuy.the lighting and sound doesn't help either.
Here in dallas, i have participated in a commercial as a fill in background person.got paid 50$ but,the equipments and camera crew was impressive.
Dont tell me that nollyhood uses similar cameras as the ones used by mgm,universal,disney,pixar,columbia or better.

You can have a million dollar equipment set and yet not know how to use it.
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by HisRib(f): 12:39am On Feb 28, 2013
The person who said Omotola is a better actress than Halle Berry is crazy! Omotola wouldn't be able to land a significant part on a Hollywood Movie even if the role was a "housegirl." She is a good actress based on Nollywood standards, which we all know is very low.

Cheers!
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by eddy1977(m): 2:00am On Feb 28, 2013
HisRib: The person who said Omotola is a better actress than Halle Berry is crazy! Omotola wouldn't be able to land a significant part on a Hollywood Movie even if the role was a "housegirl." She is a good actress based on Nollywood standards, which we all know is very low.

Cheers!

Yes i said it. Omotola is a better actress. I am not saying ot because she is nigerian.
Halle berry has had greater opportunities to work with the best.pretty much like a leech feeding off of other people s succes. Working with great storylines and excellent directors. Of course her mixed race helped her stand out to be given roles.

But peel off those layers and travel back in time a see her before she became an established household name. Ship her to Nigeria and let her work with chidi chikere or any of those so called " nollyhood directors". She will be just like another chinyere winfred or georgina inuhua. Nothing.

Now take omotola.give her the same opportunities to work with Eddie murphy or Pearce brosnan. Let her work with a good director. Who wouldn't be amazed with her?

When someone has skills,they have it. Omotola has it. It's a shame she has no cajones to distance herself from mediocrity and pursue greatness in America. I hope some day she works up and realizes what she has. May be she can connect with a guy like Martin Lawrence or Tyler Perry or even Idris freakin Elba and breakthrough
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by cfours: 2:03am On Feb 28, 2013
una still dey here with your obsessions with america.

Eddie Murphy ko, Sacha Baron Cohen ni grin
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by eddy1977(m): 2:33am On Feb 28, 2013
c.fours:
una still dey here with your obsessions with america.

Eddie Murphy ko, Sacha Baron Cohen ni grin
grin
It's where i have been living for over 15 years
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by omar22(m): 12:26pm On Feb 28, 2013
eddy1977:

Nigeria has great actresses.but no coaches,no mentors,no quality equipments,no directors,no interest in excellence. These actresses bury themselves by living between Lagos and London. They should learn from idris elba and jim Carey. You wanna maximize your talent, move to Atlanta,move to Vegas,move to los Angeles. Dont stay in Nigeria.unless you don't care about your career.

What a load of Rubbish, Sophie spoke with an East African accent in Hotel Rwanda, Genevieve cannot speak with a Gambian Accent in Mirror boy.... So you have to be at the feet of tyler Perry before you become good, Genevieve has over 10 yrs plus experience and she is still not up to scratch... I would like to see Omotola do Halle berry's role in Sword fish...

Yes i said it. Omotola is a better actress. I am not saying ot because she is nigerian.
Halle berry has had greater opportunities to work with the best.pretty much like a leech feeding off of other people s succes. Working with great storylines and excellent directors. Of course her mixed race helped her stand out to be given roles.

They are millions of opportunities that she could go and audition for, the roles Tyler Perry's movies are competed (Audition) for... if she's that good then she could apply for it.
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by VillageBoi(m): 12:30pm On Feb 28, 2013
eddy1977:

I didnt say good body equals great acting.

But you have insinuated such.

eddy1977:
You can not deny the raw potential in nnaji or omotola. But if they stick around those loosers who call themselves directors of nollyhood,they will die with all that great potential.

Yes they do have great potential. You should also realise there are Nigerian directors that also have 'great potential', afterall a Nigerian director did have his film selected for Sundance 2013.

eddy1977: Genevieve has the action movie type potential.like angelina Jolie. All she needs is to relocate to the usa. Not for the purpose of joining the nigerian community; but just like idriss elba or Boris kodjo.to enter Hollywood.

They have to relocate to Hollywood because?

eddy1977: Take for instance chiwetal ejiofor. He played in salt with angelina jolie. He also acted with Denzel in the inside man.
What does he have that bob manual odokwu doesnt? Is he any betted than sylvester madu or emeka enyiocha? No.
He just works with better directors along side great actors.

For starters Chiwetel is a very well trained actor and has a different skillset. Working with a good director alone does not make you a good actor... you already have to have something darn good inside you.

eddy1977: I have never been to Nigeria or any of its neighboring country.so i dont know the exact cameras they work with.but i have seen some of their behind the scenes.just one guy with a home type amateur camera from bestbuy.the lighting and sound doesn't help either.
Here in dallas, i have participated in a commercial as a fill in background person.got paid 50$ but,the equipments and camera crew was impressive.
Dont tell me that nollyhood uses similar cameras as the ones used by mgm,universal,disney,pixar,columbia or better.

Well I have been to Nigerian on various occasions and they do have very impressive equipment there. Even a guy on this site rents out a superbly kitted out Red Epic. You do know that 'Last Flight To Abuja' was shot on the Arri Alexa... the exact same camera that was used to shoot 'Skyfall' (the stunningly shot new James bond film). So yes we do use the very same 'digital' cameras used by the boys in Hollywood. The only thing I pretty much doubt people use in Nigeria are Panavision 'film' cameras and lenses such as the Panavision Primo Primes... but then again who has to use such when films like 'Avengers', IronMan' and the rest are chucking in bits of common DSLR footage?

eddy1977: You can have a million dollar equipment set and yet not know how to use it.

I completely agree with you on this point. Having all the equipment in the world is not going to make one a good filmmaker but learning to use it as well as many, many other skills will.

Don't get me wrong. I understood everything you were saying and the points you were making. We have to look at the NOW; saying "Nollywood actors A & B are better than Hollywood actors C & D but only 'if' they 'had' opportunity X, Y & Z and lived on Pluto"... this doesn't really make any logical sense because you have taken a WHAT IF set of events to arrive at a 'current' conclusion that you put forward as FACT. However, still understandable is the point you were trying to make... and good effort... but it ain't a fact though 'innit'?

PS - Please call it Nollywood and not Nolly'hood'. Not that everyone cares about the name, just saying.

Oh I also forgot to say the 'Hollywood' comparisons we always make are completely ridiculous. We are not them and we do NOT want to be them. Nollywood is its own industry that only has to make films as good as anything else out there of quality in the world. Afterall Europe, South America, Asia, the US indie bunch and others all make films that look just as good as 'Hollywood' yet they still have their own identity and style.
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by itstpia8: 11:20pm On May 20, 2016

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Game Of Thrones Spoiler & Leak Thread (Please Avoid) / Nigerian Cinema Etiquette / BBNaija: 7 Remarkable Highlights From ‘Level Up’ Season

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.