Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,895 members, 7,802,880 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:16 AM

Julius Berger To Build Second Niger-Bridge - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Julius Berger To Build Second Niger-Bridge (18381 Views)

Julius Berger To End Flooding On Aba-Port Harcourt Road / I Will Go On Exile If I Don’t Build Second Niger Bridge Before 2015 — Jonathan / Breaking News: Julius Berger To Build Second Niger Bridge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Julius Berger To Build Second Niger-Bridge by Fatdon(m): 2:08am On Feb 23, 2013
The Federal Government has announced Julius Berger AIMS Consortium as the preferred bidder for the construction of the Second Niger Bridge that is to connect Delta and Anambra states.

The Minister of Works, Mr. Mike Onolememen, stated this in Abuja on Yesterday (Friday) after hours-long meeting with delegates from the consortium and various government agencies.

According to him, five construction firms took part in the bidding process, but Julius Berger AIMS Consortium won.

He said, “We have gone through a painstaking procurement process that lasted for about 13 months and at the end of the procurement the preferred bidder has emerged. It is important to let Nigerians know that very competent consortia bid for this particular project.

“I am happy to announce that at the end of the procurement process, Julius Berger AIMS Consortium emerged as the preferred bidder for the Second Niger Bridge project.”

Onolememen said the project was advertised for expression of interest, adding that the concessionaires expressed interest in the bidding for the project under the Design, Finance, Build, Operate and Transfer model.

“And that is why this particular meeting was convened today to commence the second phase of this particular transaction that will necessarily lead to the preliminary site work of the bridge that will link Onitsha and Asaba in Anambra and Delta states,” he said.

Onolememen added, “Going forward, part of the work that will be carried out in the next couple of weeks will include detailed hydrological and topographical surveys, and of course, a geological survey. And we will always carry out a detailed environmental/social impact assessment of the process and an in-depth traffic survey among others.”

He said the government’s transaction adviser had virtually completed a detailed traffic survey, stressing that Nigerians should know that the Federal Government was committed to delivering the Second Niger Bridge project.
“I want to assure Nigerians that this project is fast becoming a reality,” he said.

Asked to comment on the duration of the project, he said, “This is not a contract. It is a PPP transaction. The PPP transaction will cover a period of 25 years for them (Julius Berger AIMS Consortium). By the conclusion of the discussions on the second phase, at least the construction period will emerge. It is not like a normal contract that the government is funding.”

He explained that the consortium would raise the fund for the project and that the government would only take a very marginal percentage of it to show commitment.

He said, “It is interesting to note that Africa Infrastructure Investment Managers or AIMS, are world leaders in infrastructure financing and they are in partnership with one of the biggest infrastructure financier in the world.

And we are happy that this project has been able to attract such a group to this country.”

http://www.punchng.com/news/julius-berger-to-build-second-niger-bridge/

2 Likes

Re: Julius Berger To Build Second Niger-Bridge by mrofficial(m): 4:03am On Feb 23, 2013
*yawn* Let's see.

1 Like

Re: Julius Berger To Build Second Niger-Bridge by 9javoice1(m): 4:07am On Feb 23, 2013
for where not now and not ever. ibos should do this themselfs else ths guys aint helping
Re: Julius Berger To Build Second Niger-Bridge by bestman09(m): 4:10am On Feb 23, 2013
Just when will the Actual work start? Am tired of politics and big grammar concerning the second Niger bridge
Re: Julius Berger To Build Second Niger-Bridge by Fatdon(m): 6:11am On Feb 23, 2013
Expedite action before d 1st Niger
Bridge colapses....kudos anyway.
Re: Julius Berger To Build Second Niger-Bridge by Pergrace: 9:40am On Feb 23, 2013
This is good news
Re: Julius Berger To Build Second Niger-Bridge by CeCeBillz(f): 9:40am On Feb 23, 2013
In 2017 bah? Abeg I finally downloaded a cool pic of me, view and drop ur commentcheesy

4 Likes

Re: Julius Berger To Build Second Niger-Bridge by xpagnol: 9:43am On Feb 23, 2013
PPP Transactions covers a period of 25 years. I laff in swahili.
Re: Julius Berger To Build Second Niger-Bridge by Clerverly: 9:43am On Feb 23, 2013
He said, “We have gone through a painstaking procurement process that lasted for about 13 months and at the end of the procurement the preferred bidder has emerged. It is important to let Nigerians know that very competent consortia bid for this particular project.
[b]
If procurement process could last for 13 months, I wonder how long it will take to deliver the bridge. Just an observation shocked

1 Like

Re: Julius Berger To Build Second Niger-Bridge by ITbomb(m): 9:47am On Feb 23, 2013
In other words , expect a toll gate on both ends for the next 25 years

4 Likes

Re: Julius Berger To Build Second Niger-Bridge by lain: 9:49am On Feb 23, 2013
Which company apart from j.berger.., how else can they syphoon money wont be suprised if the amonut for the 2nd niger bridge which have been on air for CENTURIES would b the 1 year budget of Ghana
Re: Julius Berger To Build Second Niger-Bridge by Nobody: 9:49am On Feb 23, 2013
The second Niger Bridge will be built by Julius Berger thru PPP. Federal govt will pay a certain percentage of the total cost of executing the project, while Julius Berger along with its partners will pay the rest.

Already, N12billion was provided in the 2013 budget, thru the SURE-P, to take care of the federal govt counterpart funding for the bridge
http://sunnewsonline.com/new/cover/2013-budget-fg-votes-n12bn-for-second-niger-bridge/
As for when construction will start, work is expected to start by March/April this year

4 Likes

Re: Julius Berger To Build Second Niger-Bridge by kakakibuy(m): 9:49am On Feb 23, 2013
CeCe Billz: In 2017 bah? Abeg I finally downloaded a cool pic of me, view and drop ur commentcheesy
cool pic. Me likey kiss

1 Like

Re: Julius Berger To Build Second Niger-Bridge by Nobody: 9:50am On Feb 23, 2013
https://www.nairaland.com/1203651/when-president-jonathan-promises-he

Though President Jonathan is not perfect, I have never regretted supporting him for one second. He keeps proving me RIGHT on this forum.

Posterity will judge all those HATERS and DEVILS who tried to stand in the way of realisation of the second Niger Bridge.

5 decades after Azikiwe built the first Niger Bridge in 1965, Azikiwe is back to give us a second Niger Bridge.

God bless President Goodluck Ebele Azikiwe Jonathan!

God bless the Federal Republic Of Nigeria!!

38 Likes

Re: Julius Berger To Build Second Niger-Bridge by Cupidkc(m): 9:50am On Feb 23, 2013
Nice one. I believe JB will do a good job and in the shortest possible time.
Re: Julius Berger To Build Second Niger-Bridge by CeCeBillz(f): 9:56am On Feb 23, 2013
Aww tank u hun
kakakibuy: cool pic. Me likey kiss
Re: Julius Berger To Build Second Niger-Bridge by justokey(m): 10:01am On Feb 23, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: The second Niger Bridge will be built by Julius Berger thru PPP. Federal govt will pay a certain percentage of the total cost of executing the project, while Julius Berger along with its partners will pay the rest.

Already, N12billion was provided in the 2013 budget, thru the SURE-P, to take care of the federal govt counterpart funding for the bridge
http://sunnewsonline.com/new/cover/2013-budget-fg-votes-n12bn-for-second-niger-bridge/
As for when construction will start, work is expected to start by March/April this year

You seem to be in the know. Please can FG do something to the existing bridge to avoid catastrophe? You need to be on that bridge to know what I am talking about.

1 Like

Re: Julius Berger To Build Second Niger-Bridge by Nobody: 10:17am On Feb 23, 2013
we dn hear
Re: Julius Berger To Build Second Niger-Bridge by naptu2: 10:17am On Feb 23, 2013
naptu2: Finally! I particularly like the fact that it's being concessioned.

I watched the ceremony on the news and I also saw the minister of information talk about the new standard gauge rail project (I particularly like the ideas for a Lagos to Abuja line, a Lagos to Onitsha line and an Abuja to Onitsha line).

Goodluck's administration is beginning. To remind me of the Obasanjo years. Terrible first leg, characterised by bad politicking, corruption and inaction, but a second leg full of positive action and delivery of developmental projects and policies.

My suggestions:

1) We need emergency points on the expressways. These emergency points should be equipped with Federal Highway Patrol teams (police) and ambulances.

2) We need to get to work and build the high speed rail network.
https://www.nairaland.com/1205116/breaking-news-julius-berger-build#14452940

4 Likes

Re: Julius Berger To Build Second Niger-Bridge by Nobody: 10:18am On Feb 23, 2013
Nice move,but definitely some people will become rich over night due to kick backs in the bidding process,nice move sha.
Re: Julius Berger To Build Second Niger-Bridge by mu2sa2: 10:20am On Feb 23, 2013
I will applaud when I see the bridge in place. By the way where's the east-west road?

1 Like

Re: Julius Berger To Build Second Niger-Bridge by GARRIx7(m): 10:21am On Feb 23, 2013
Jonathan seems to be taking some lessons from Fashola... That's GOOD.....cool

Meanwhile, I've got a question:

It it's a PPP transaction, what's the 12 Billion Naira meant for??
Re: Julius Berger To Build Second Niger-Bridge by AdeMarley: 10:22am On Feb 23, 2013
CeCe Billz: In 2017 bah? Abeg I finally downloaded a cool pic of me, view and drop ur commentcheesy

So i guess your pics will complete the second niger bridge bah? Please sista learn to think with your brain before commenting not your Brazilian hair.

Good luck to Berger ,this project is long overdue,i can only wish they deliver.

2 Likes

Re: Julius Berger To Build Second Niger-Bridge by drnoel: 10:23am On Feb 23, 2013
but i thought this said second niger bridge had already being awarded to a chinese company, how come berger is now bidding and winning (scratches head)

2 Likes

Re: Julius Berger To Build Second Niger-Bridge by coolzeal(m): 10:24am On Feb 23, 2013
How about talking less, get the work done and let the people announce it by themselves. 2nd Niger bridge, am f*ckin tired of the suspense.
Re: Julius Berger To Build Second Niger-Bridge by Nobody: 10:29am On Feb 23, 2013
One thing stands out in your pp......your...wait are you a manCHESTer fan?
Re: Julius Berger To Build Second Niger-Bridge by GARRIx7(m): 10:32am On Feb 23, 2013
Booked!!
Re: Julius Berger To Build Second Niger-Bridge by billante(m): 10:38am On Feb 23, 2013
The Future!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Supreme Court Orders Retrial Of Petition Against Dakwambo / 2019: People Getting Desperate – Presidency Raises Alarm / 10 State With Best Road Network In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.