Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,894 members, 7,802,877 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:51 AM

Gay Rights Or Wrongs - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gay Rights Or Wrongs (801 Views)

Kenyan President Publicly Rejects President Obama’s Gay Rights Message / Buhari Will Endorse Gay Rights In Nigeria In Exchange For Western Funds / We Accept Responsibility For All Wrongs In Nigeria — PDP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gay Rights Or Wrongs by Nobody: 1:05pm On Feb 23, 2013
The World I ennvisage by 12 inches

Today, Obama just asked the Supreme Court to overturn the ban on same sex marriage through the DOMA plea. This will be the first time a U.S president will openly lend executive support to same sex marriage. The U.S Supreme court composing of 11 judges will start sitting on this next week. The world is really changing.

I recently had a song titled “SAME LOVE” by Macklemore (with Ryan Lewis) featuring Adam Lambert. This will be the first time someone will give me an almost convincing argument in support of same sex marriage. Maybe this is because I am a big fan and lover of music and the song is quite inciteful and thought provoken. I will in clear terms state that I do not believe a guy should love another guy let alone kiss or make love to another guy. I was never raised like that. I am African raised by an African father (My Doctor father has the opinion that bias to same sex relations is biological just like it occurs in some animals.) It will also be important to note that Macklemore has a song on the U.S charts titled “Thrift Shop” and this song comfortably sits at number one. Yes number one. So this other single “Same Love” is bound to get air play and is going to be heard by the youths and teens. It could have a great influence on their opinions.

Several artistes have learnt support for same sex marriage. The list is countless. Every notable artiste in America who doesn’t support gay marriage can openly rebuke it either without being called a bigot. In fact talking against gays in America can almost be seen as “GAY RACISM.” Yes, “GAY RACISM.” Negative bias against gays is now likened to racism against black and the Black Civil rights movement of the nineties and religious oppresion. Americans especially blacks can easily relate with such racial prejudice.

To round up, I know NLs don’t like long articles. Neither do I. Lol. What has maintained the “sanctity” of the human society is two things- Culture (Law) and Religion. Culture is quite flexible. Religion is not. What we have is a dearth in religious beliefs. The custodians of Christianity – the papacy and the pope are not helping matters. The recent resignation of the pope has been linked to gay accusation by some individuals. The Anglican Church in some western countries now supports Gay marriage and Gay rights. I envisage a world in which humans will freely court and be intimate with other humans of the same sex even right here in Africa (are we not mere reflections of the west?). In the words of macklemore from “SAME LOVE” “We paraphase a book written 3500 yrs ago” What do you think?
Re: Gay Rights Or Wrongs by Gbawe: 3:19pm On Feb 23, 2013
My view is that homophobes are fighting a losing battle. Whether the racists and supremacists like it or not, black folks cannot go back to being slaves. In the same way, we will not succeed trying to prevent human beings of the same gender having sexual relationship with each other and living together. Why expend so much energy trying to prevent the inevitable?

I won't lie. Personally I would not want my son to be gay or my daughter lesbian. Nonetheless, "gays" and "lesbians" are not imaginary tags. They apply to real people with real lives and real needs that we will all have to deal with. I don't think the solution is saying an absolute "NO" and hoping that would deter what is here to stay.

2 Likes

Re: Gay Rights Or Wrongs by tomakint: 3:32pm On Feb 23, 2013
I will not give this topic a layman approach but I could recalled when this same topic came up for debates on a different forum that is frequented by 'whites' i discovered that the views of most Europeans to the gay right issue is borne out of a wayward spirit which holds no water! I tried to argue that its an habit that can be 'outgrown and dropped' but they believed its a way of life that is genetic hence you must live with it, Biblically, its a practise God frowns out and attracts punishments!
Re: Gay Rights Or Wrongs by achinaboy(m): 5:40pm On Feb 23, 2013
am not gay shocked
Re: Gay Rights Or Wrongs by Nobody: 6:07pm On Feb 23, 2013
tomakint: I will not give this topic a layman approach but I could recalled when this same topic came up for debates on a different forum that is frequented by 'whites' i discovered that the views of most Europeans to the gay right issue is borne out of a wayward spirit which holds no water! I tried to argue that its an habit that can be 'outgrown and dropped' but they believed its a way of life that is genetic hence you must live with it, Biblically, its a practise God frowns out and attracts punishments!

Not everyone blivs in ur God and ur Jesus. You should learn to realize. Christianity in the west is at an all time law. The only argument left against gay marriage is that it's not biblical. America is a secular society. With spirituality out of the way the only u can have against gay marriage is that it isn't natural but biologists will tell u that even a fraction of animals have gay tendency. Have u watched the Video on youtube of the gay dog? And the papacy that is supposed to be the "custodian" of christianity is facing gay scandals. What more can I say.
Re: Gay Rights Or Wrongs by Bigflamie(m): 6:21pm On Feb 23, 2013
Pls, u people should be civil on this gay issue cos people that are into it aren't different beings. They're human beings just like you and I.
Re: Gay Rights Or Wrongs by tomakint: 6:25pm On Feb 23, 2013
@ op I have not in anyway lord my christianity's views on the subject matter (read my post again) all I am trying to pass across is that; excuses given on gay's right is damn too shallow and bland, for crying out loud if few animals are exhibiting those traits are we (humans) not wiser? Morally, there is no justification for being gay, its simply a habit that can be checked! cool
Re: Gay Rights Or Wrongs by joeyfire(m): 9:09pm On Feb 23, 2013
@op- there is a concept of "free your mind" that was popular in the early nineties. Years later we have witnessed moral standards plummet to new depths. Must everything have rights? Is nothing worth holding the fort for? After gays what next? Legalise bestiality? Mankind has been smitten by God on several occasions for freeing this mind too much.

Gay rights will hasten the wrath of God on mankind. My hand no dey
Re: Gay Rights Or Wrongs by mensdept: 9:42pm On Feb 23, 2013
For all those folks wanting to smuggle gay issues into the polity one question for una?

U dey on gen for morning?

We have a corrupt country with serious issues, so join hands in that struggle. America did not say, "oh lets deal with slavery first before we fight against the British", neither did they forget about their roads and tackle lesbian issues.

Nonsense
Re: Gay Rights Or Wrongs by Yeske2(m): 10:01pm On Feb 23, 2013
Like it or not, gays are here to stay and there's nothing we all can do about it. Any proponent of gay rights would be tagged a gay but fact remains that they are what they are not by choice but by inclination.
Re: Gay Rights Or Wrongs by Nobody: 10:08pm On Feb 23, 2013
tomakint: @ op I have not in anyway lord my christianity's views on the subject matter (read my post again) all I am trying to pass across is that; excuses given on gay's right is damn too shallow and bland, for crying out loud if few animals are exhibiting those traits are we (humans) not wiser? Morally, there is no justification for being gay, its simply a habit that can be checked! cool

And I'm not trying to support gay rights too. But a good part of our "morals" is guided by religion. In fact the excuses given for gay rights are becoming persistently more convincing considering the society that we live in that tell us humans are just mere animals that evolved from apes. We even teach this in schools. With religion out of the way, what argument can u possibly have against gay rights?
Re: Gay Rights Or Wrongs by mensdept: 10:14pm On Feb 23, 2013
12 inches!:

And I'm not trying to support gay rights too...?

So why are you so concerned about it? What is your position on Pastors buying private jets in a poor country like 9ja? WHat can you say about fuel scarcity in a country that is rich is petrol sources? WHat about the attack on the Army chief about false tribal considerations in army promotions, or the need to have Sharia operating in a quater of the states in the 9ja republic?

Is it right for a governor to be missing for 60 days or the senate president to go to Germany for medical checkup when average citizens havent received payment for services rendered for months, or students that are out of school for non-payment of teachers salaries? WHo shoud pay for David Mark or Sullivan Chime's medical expense, or even Dame herself?

SO no, those issues are not important because you are thinking about whether or not a man should be able to bend over for another man to bone him.

Because countries that deal with real issues and now have the luxury to talk about gayism doenst mean we should have misplaced priorities so we can feel Global.

Nonsense
Re: Gay Rights Or Wrongs by Gbawe: 10:19pm On Feb 23, 2013
Yeske!:
Like it or not, gays are here to stay and there's nothing we all can do about it. Any proponent of gay rights would be tagged a gay but fact remains that they are what they are not by choice but by inclination.

Totally agree. We have to deal with issues instead of throwing tantrums like children. Unless Nigerians unrealistically think we can be an Island of homophobia, then we better appreciate that gays are here to stay and to be accommodated.

1 Like

Re: Gay Rights Or Wrongs by tomakint: 10:20pm On Feb 23, 2013
12 inches!:

And I'm not trying to support gay rights too. But a good part of our "morals" is guided by religion. In fact the excuses given for gay rights are becoming persistently more convincing considering the society that we live in that tell us humans are just mere animals that evolved from apes. With religion out of the way, what argument can u possibly have against gay rights?
I never knew evolution theory is still in vogue! Men poking men is barbaric religion or not!
Re: Gay Rights Or Wrongs by mensdept: 10:27pm On Feb 23, 2013
Gbawe:

Totally agree. We have to deal with issues instead of throwing tantrums like children. Unless Nigerians unrealistically think we can be an Island of homophobia, then we better appreciate that gays are here to stay and to be accommodated.

Well Nigeria is an island, and island of bad roads, no light, and complacent idiots like you that would rather talk about Gays. WHat roads are Gays going to drive on in Nigeria that isn't going to kill them, or see them paying N50 to Oga for "Well Done".

How are the Gays going to be able to watch their favorite Gay shows without having to go and buy fuel to on gen with? How will a Gay treat a common pneumonia in Nigeria when the health indutry has been outsourced to Germany?

SO yes, We are an island
Re: Gay Rights Or Wrongs by Dibiachukwu: 10:35pm On Feb 23, 2013
Evolution is a lie formulated by devils.
Do you know that evolution implies that you are closer in nature to a monkey?
Do you know that evolution implies that their is no repercussion for sin and crime?
Do you know that evolution implies that pigs are from Africa too, and therefore have every right to live there?
Have you researched the slowpoke that came up with these theories?
Did you consider the period when the whole of the west was spreading this ish?
Did you know that there is no single concrete proof of evolution, but they want to teach it in schools all over the world. Why do you think that is?
Pigs are devils. Avoid them like leprosy.
Re: Gay Rights Or Wrongs by Gbawe: 10:39pm On Feb 23, 2013
mens dept:

Well Nigeria is an island, and island of bad roads, no light, and complacent idiots like you that would rather talk about Gays. WHat roads are Gays going to drive on in Nigeria that isn't going to kill them, or see them paying N50 to Oga for "Well Done".

How are the Gays going to be able to watch their favorite Gay shows without having to go and buy fuel to on gen with? How will a Gay treat a common pneumonia in Nigeria when the health indutry has been outsourced to Germany?

SO yes, We are an island

I totally agree with you that priorities are misplaced but that is not the fault of ordinary Nigerians. We have no influence over a Senate that fails to pass crucial bills yet obsessively make the hounding of gays and lesbians number one priority.
Re: Gay Rights Or Wrongs by Nobody: 11:09pm On Feb 23, 2013
mens dept:

So why are you so concerned about it? What is your position on Pastors buying private jets in a poor country like 9ja? WHat can you say about fuel scarcity in a country that is rich is petrol sources? WHat about the attack on the Army chief about false tribal considerations in army promotions, or the need to have Sharia operating in a quater of the states in the 9ja republic?

Is it right for a governor to be missing for 60 days or the senate president to go to Germany for medical checkup when average citizens havent received payment for services rendered for months, or students that are out of school for non-payment of teachers salaries? WHo shoud pay for David Mark or Sullivan Chime's medical expense, or even Dame herself?

SO no, those issues are not important because you are thinking about whether or not a man should be able to bend over for another man to bone him.

Because countries that deal with real issues and now have the luxury to talk about gayism doenst mean we should have misplaced priorities so we can feel Global.

Nonsense

Mr man, I have the right to be concerned about whatever I want to be concerned about. Whether you like it or not, whatever the outcome of this,it is going to have a great influence on us maybe not now but in the future. I can tell u that African countries of present have no mind of their own and will parrot whatever the western countries say. Maybe not now, but eventually.
Re: Gay Rights Or Wrongs by Demdem(m): 12:17am On Feb 24, 2013
I strongly believe all gays and lesbians must be hunted down and stoned.
Re: Gay Rights Or Wrongs by Nobody: 1:24am On Apr 21, 2013
12 inches!:
The World I ennvisage by 12 inchesa song titled “SAME LOVE” by Macklemore (with Ryan Lewis) featuring Adam Lambert...
It's not Adam Lambert, it's Mary Lambert (no relation).

And I really like the video, especiallyat the end when they've grown old. Together. And the part where the were sorting albums at home... Like those YouTube lolcats say, #IHazFeeeelings!!!

(1) (Reply)

Would GEJ Be Justified If He Declares Genocide in the North? / Jonathan Doesn't Care About The Baga Murders - El-rufai / Nigeria Will Become History If I Am Arrested-asari Dokubo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.