Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,638 members, 7,801,847 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:51 AM

Prisoners Of War - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Prisoners Of War (38911 Views)

We Are Able (THUG OF WAR) / Woman Of War --- A Story By Miss_fibre / Prisoner Of War - A Short Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 6:00pm On May 22, 2013
oyestephen: The wicked is reaping their wickedness........yet blaming it on others angry
Check out na sad
Re: Prisoners Of War by sambroose(m): 9:34pm On May 22, 2013
Eze promoe the one that uses its tail to drive flies away............the one that learns to shoot without missing his mark............the one who cuts a man down when his life was Sweetest to him........I hail o *******More update please
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 12:29am On May 23, 2013
sambroose: Eze promoe the one that uses its tail to drive flies away............the one that learns to shoot without missing his mark............the one who cuts a man down when his life was Sweetest to him........I hail o *******More update please
Only me?
Please permit me to give Damex333 some grin
Re: Prisoners Of War by sambroose(m): 7:14am On May 23, 2013
Yeah you can cut down the life of Damex33 when he's having his honeymoon.
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 9:17am On May 23, 2013
Ifenna started developing fondness for Akwanwa, and the feeling was mutual.
His once or twice in a week visit to Akwanwa's place had turned into a daily routine, such that he sometimes forget to take his meal before leaving. His mother had complained about his obsession with the young beauty.

"Ifenna, you're a begining to behave stupïd these days?" she complained.

"I really behave stupid? Maybe its because i'm plucking the best flowers in the garden." he said soliloquizing.
Lolo never knew what he actually meant by that. Many thoughts ran through her mind.
Plucking the best flowers? Does it mean he had disflowered someone's daughter or he's just putting some stunts.

"Whatever that means, i don't know. But marry her if you like her and stop this your obsession that may lead you to commit abomination."
Ifenna's reverie was suddenly choked by her infernal word that he cringed to the the extreme end of his raffia bed. His mother noticed his change in countenance.

"I'm sorry for my harsh words." she apologised.

"I don't know why you always involve such thinking into a serene matter like that of I and Akwanwa." he said angrily.

"I said i'm sorry!"
He shrugged.
"So i want you to tell me, do you have any extra feelings like..........you know," she winked.
He sheepishly smiled in response to her gimmicks, he didn't know how to start narrating his experience with the beautiful one.

"I'll continue saying it that i'm the best gardener in Umudioga." he said with more emphasis on gardener.

"OK, is she from a respectable family? Whose daughter is she? Will she make a good wife?" she asked rather too many at a time.

"Ah, nne, you're too fast. Allow me to answer one first before pushing another to me." he said as he dilate his eyes to the ground, looking virtually at nothing, and then back his mother's gaze.
"She's from a respectable family, infact it may interest you to know that she's the daughter of Madueke." he cleared his throat.
An instant wince of revulsion swept through her face as she frowned at the mention of the name MADUEKE.

"Madueke?" she exclaimed in an unusual way.
Not that she hated Madueke, but she hated his family, particularly noone. She had strong dislike for polygamy, she had even agreed to marry Kalu under condition that he doesn't take a second wife. She was indeed from a royal family and her demand would be respected.

"Yes, and don't tell me that you have an ill feeling towards him," he said as he'd noticed the change of attitude as the name was mentioned.

"Not at all," she said nodding profusely in disapproval.

"Okay, i've planned on taking her to Amihie in the Afor day to see my grand father." he said with a boyish smile.
She nodded in consent and he leaped on his feet to Akwanwa's place.

"You'll have to go to Eche's place to know why he has left us here all this while without visiting us to know whether we're feeding or not." It was Aruma the old osu woman that was giving the message to her newly inducted daughters. The girls kept nodding at every command.
"If you see his wife with him, don't mention my name when delivering your message" she instructed.
What made her think that his wife won't have the same cold feeling she had towards them.
Uju was looking thinner, she'd had a fever few days after her arrival to the hell of the isolated home which won't be unfair to be described as a graveyard. Her skin was looking dryer and bore sores from mosquito bites and other skin cuts. Her constant sickness had made the younger Ulumma assume the role of the elder. If it were then, she would have scold her for her "baby attitude", but now she wouldn't dare, its obvious that they've gone through a lot, and it will take those with only stone hearts to be through all these without grief.
She crossed her arms round her to comfort her.

"It looks like she's not feeling too fine, so she's going to stay while you'll go alone." She said to Ulumma.

"No, she'll go with me." Ulumma protested.

"I'll go." Uju said in support.

"Alright, you'll go together, but take good case of yourselves and stay out of trouble."

They stood to their feet and set out for Eche's place where they'd deliver their message.
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 9:23am On May 23, 2013
GLOSSARY

great father - he actually meant "grandfather" which is his mother's father, who's also the Igwe of Amihie
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 9:28am On May 23, 2013
sambroose: Yeah you can cut down the life of Damex33 when he's having his honeymoon.
Honeymoon?
Damex, come and confirm o grin
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 9:37am On May 23, 2013
I just saw two beautiful ladies viewing this thread this morning and i decided to stop over and say hi to them.

Good morning, ameenahz and Fran asoan

1 Like

Re: Prisoners Of War by Franasoan(f): 9:43am On May 23, 2013
Good morning eze,,pls continue
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 9:55am On May 23, 2013
^^^yes, ma'am, your wish is my command smiley
Re: Prisoners Of War by sambroose(m): 11:04am On May 23, 2013
Eze Promoe: I just saw two beautiful ladies viewing this thread this morning and i decided to stop over and say hi to them.

Good morning, ameenahz and Fran asoan
na der ur yeye eyes go dey.........wey does girls brother na.......we're u kip am
Re: Prisoners Of War by Nobody: 11:23am On May 23, 2013
Eze Promoe:
Honeymoon?
Damex, come and confirm o grin
eze e be lyk say u no know wetin sam turn u to. Those words,statement are used 4 Death olipsrsealed, EHN, AND MY LIFE DEY IMPORTANT, even honeymoon no dey ds decade sef, mayb next decade.
Re: Prisoners Of War by sambroose(m): 1:21pm On May 23, 2013
Damex333: eze e be lyk say u no know wetin sam turn u to. Those words,statement are used 4 Death olipsrsealed, EHN, AND MY LIFE DEY IMPORTANT, even honeymoon no dey ds decade sef, mayb next decade.
hahahahaha don't u see WAR at d title of d story
Re: Prisoners Of War by ameenahz(f): 1:29pm On May 23, 2013
Double post.
Re: Prisoners Of War by ameenahz(f): 1:29pm On May 23, 2013
This is a good story, nice plot, captivating characters. Just work on the few typos and it will make a smooth and beautiful read.

And by the way, thanks for saying good morning. It's already afternoon, so good afternoon.
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 9:15pm On May 23, 2013
ameenahz: This is a good story, nice plot, captivating characters. Just work on the few typos and it will make a smooth and beautiful read.

And by the way, thanks for saying good morning. It's already afternoon, so good afternoon.
Thanks for your comment.
I don't know why Mr. Typo won't leave my work alone. But believe you me, we're on top of the situation cheesy

Thanks for replying good afternoon but now its evening, so good evening smiley
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 9:21pm On May 23, 2013
Damex333: eze e be lyk say u no know wetin sam turn u to. Those words,statement are used 4 Death olipsrsealed, EHN, AND MY LIFE DEY IMPORTANT, even honeymoon no dey ds decade sef, mayb next decade.
Na wa for you o, you think say na only woman dey age? Time go come you go dey go prayer house for wife. Dey there they talk say na next millenium.
You're OYO! cheesy
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 9:23pm On May 23, 2013
sambroose: na der ur yeye eyes go dey.........wey does girls brother na.......we're u kip am
Leave me jor.
Have you forgotten that woman means "created for man" cheesy
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 9:26pm On May 23, 2013
The journey from Ozala-Abo to Agbu-Ukwu was a day journey, but wouldn't be so if the regular route which goes through Mmiri Adoko into Umudioga village and then an apian way into Agbu-Ukwu.
The later route wouldn't have taken them the whole morning to reach their destination, but for their acquired status and their banishment from Umudioga, they had to take the alternate route which indeed was like going round the whole villages instead of going through. They had to go through many villages like Umuochiaku, Ohia Nwoji, Ohausara, Urueke river and Amihie before getting to Agbu-Ukwu but not without going through its forests.
The two girls were already fumed out, their whole body were wobbling, a day journey on foot was not an easy task.
The task Aruma had given to them was worse than a message, punishment was a suitable word for it. Uju kept wondering if she had known that they would embark on such journey, she probably must be waiting for them to go and come back same day but how ridiculous such expectation could be.
The girls were extremely exhausted and very hungry, they had gotten to their destination but were shocked by what they saw on their arrival.

It was Echezona who was critically ill. It was the same man who brought them to Aruma's place few days back. He had pox all over his face, and his tongue was stiff that he couldn't utter a word even at the arrival of the two young girls.

"What happened to him?" Uju who was worried and concerned asked.
Uju's presence caused dissociation amongst his wife and children, they moved a distance and stayed together in a place as if they were bounded together.

"Go away from us, you impurities." Olam, Echezona's wife, barked at the two girls. Their children who were five in number also drew backwards with their mother, even though they knew nothing about their mother's stigmatization.

"Go away," some of them were shouting ignorantly.

"Please, nne, we came from a very far place and we're very hungry, please give us food, no matter how little and we'll go back as soon as you wish," Uju pleaded on her knees, Ulumma also followed suit in the pleading. Life had really changed her into a humble person. The old Ulumma will never go on her knees begging for anything from anyone, but now she didn't have any option.

"First of all, let me remind you that i'm not your mother, and it disgusts me when you address me as such. Lastly, aren't you concerned that my husband is lying here critically ill, and all you know is food. Have you asked whether we ate anything before selfishly thinking of your insatiable self. Ngwa, come and eat food and suit yourselves," she said sarcastically.

"Please, let us take even if its one mango from the tree." Ulumma said the right thing at the wrong time in the wrong place. Uju must have noticed this but she still maintain her pleading eyes.

"Mama, please even if we can't have food please give us a resting place for this night and we'll be gone at dawn."

"Never! You think i don't know who you are?" she said with hands akimbo, twitching her toes and moving her body from left to right and vice versa.
"WITCHES!" she said with strong emphasis, and her children moved more backwards and clinched their mother's wrapper tightly. As children they are, they would believe whatever their mother says, now they've known the true identity of this lady that comes often before, to their house.
No thanks to their mother.
Uju walked dejectedly out of their presence holding her sister's wrist.
They moved to a guava tree in the compound after Olam had banged the door behind them.
Uju cried like a baby, which left Ulumma undecided whether she should console her or join her.
Ulumma took one of Olam's wrapper which she had forgotten to bring in after washing, she spreaded it on the bare floor.

"Ulumma, what are you doing?" Uju asked in bewilderment.

"Uju, whatever will happen, let it happen here." the old Ulumma was gradually coming back from holiday.

"Please, for my sake, don't just start that, let's get out of the one we already found ourselves."

"Why should a woman whom my mother help so much when she was alive, turn around and be so cruel to me for no cause, and you are here telling me not to start what." her voice was getting louder.

"Ulumma, you're shouting!"

"I don't care if the whole villagers hear me."

"Remember, you're no more free-born like you used to be, so you could be causing more troubles for us."

"Will you sleep on the bare floor? Or will you sleep on the air or while standing? Uju, please if your eyes are heavy, mine are feeble. I need to rest and if you wish to sleep on the ground, its your choice but i am not sleeping on this floor, i'm going to their doorway to spend my night. May the day break." she exit.
Uju ran after her, and held her back, Ulumma was really pissed off by this approach and she turned violently and barked at her.
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 9:31pm On May 23, 2013
"Leave me alone!" her voice was so loud to wake Olam. Uju was more embarrassed at the sight of Olam, and she drew herself backwards and backed the woman, who was sleepy now.

"What are you two still doing here?" she asked with her eyes half closed.
Ulumma did as if there was noone there, not to say that someone was speaking. She proceeded to the the veranda besides were she spread the wrapper and lay on it, Olam watched with surprise written all over her. Ulumma was muttering something like "come and push me out."
Olam was too weak to start shouting, she had to leave the troublesome one and go to bed.

Sitting in front of a hut unknown to her, Uju was peeling egusi, she was humming to the song of the Ekpe cult who were making preparations to carry their masquerades, including the long juju, round town. The sound was clear enough to her hearing but it was coming from a very far place, definitely Aro-Ukwu. From that direction, she saw a figure coming closer, but later it seem not to be coming towards her.
As the figure was getting clearer to her sight, he (because it was that of a man) began moving towards her direction again.
Uju was now shaking, she was now double-minded, having battle with herself whether to run or not. The lad got closer and closer, she had sighted him from afar for a couple of time and he still hadn't gotten closer.
As he was approaching, Uju was seeing someone she knew very well but was still unsure of whom he was. She fidgeted involuntarily waiting as he gets closer.
Finally, the tall chocolate coloured skin lad was in front of her, and she was amazed. She looked at him for a moment with her eyes and mouth wide open.
She was trying to mention something but she couldn't utter a word.
Finally, she found her tongue and screamed,

"A G U N N A!"
She threw herself on him and wept on his shoulder. He was now taller and bigger, and looked more like a big brother to her, his arms was broad enough to contain her, and he didn't stumble when she threw herself on him.

"Agunna, why did you leave us?"
"Agunna, can't you see we suffered a lot?"
"Agunna, i hope you weren't hurt?" Uju was asking too many questions at a time, but the young man keep saying, "Agunna says."

"Agunna says he's alright and will be fine." the young man replied.

"No, you're Agunna, i know your face. I know you very well. I know you. You're Agunna." Uju was still saying while the young man turned his back and started leaving her. The farther he was out of sight, the louder the Ekpe drum sounded until he was completely out of sight.

"No, don't leave me, please."
"Agunna, Agunna, Agunna!"

Uju screamed while Ulumma shook her violently and drew her up by her arms.

"Why are you screaming by this time of the night?" Ulumma said in an angry hush tone. Uju was still silent, looking at Ulumma in a silly way.

"Do you know that you were so loud and you scared me."

Uju stood up from where she laid and held Ulumma tight.

"Please don't leave me, i'll stay with you." she said panting. Ulumma shrugged and they went back to the veranda where they spend the rest of the night.

1 Like

Re: Prisoners Of War by sambroose(m): 8:55am On May 24, 2013
Nna this suspense too much o
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 12:38pm On May 24, 2013
Ladies and gentlemen, una know as we dey take do am na

NO UPDATE UNTIL MONDAY wink
Re: Prisoners Of War by sambroose(m): 5:35pm On May 24, 2013
Eze Promoe: Ladies and gentlemen, una know as we dey take do am na

NO UPDATE UNTIL MONDAY wink
This guy must be kidding
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 7:18pm On May 24, 2013
sambroose: This guy must be kidding
Yea, these are my days of rest, while i prepare a bumpy update for your reading pleasure smiley
Re: Prisoners Of War by luvmijeje(f): 7:58pm On May 24, 2013
*still following*
Re: Prisoners Of War by youngemmy61(m): 8:41am On May 25, 2013
Please, i just got to this site as a new member and i want every literary giant here to pls enlighten me more on how to write a story or novel as well. Please tell me what i need or need to do before i can start mine. Pls come to my aid...!
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 8:53am On May 25, 2013
youngemmy61: Please, i just got to this site as a new member and i want every literary giant here to pls enlighten me more on how to write a story or novel as well. Please tell me what i need or need to do before i can start mine. Pls come to my aid...!
I asked this same question months back and someone told me to "WRITE SOMETHING FIRST" and i did, that was how it worked for me.
If you read this thread from the first page, you'll see that i made a lot of mistake but NLders were still behind me to correct my mistakes.
IF ITS IN YOU, ITS IN YOU!

1 Like

Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 8:59am On May 25, 2013
GOOD MORNING VIEWERS smiley

Neduzze5 (m) and Emerald dan (f)
Re: Prisoners Of War by Neduzze5(m): 9:34am On May 25, 2013
Good morning Eze Promoe. I"ve been seeing this thread for a long time and wondering whether I should read it but this morning, I decided to take out time to read it. Thanks for writing, nice traditional story you've got. please keep writing!
Re: Prisoners Of War by youngemmy61(m): 4:29pm On May 25, 2013
Eze Promoe:
I asked this same question months back and someone told me to "WRITE SOMETHING FIRST" and i did, that was how it worked for me.
If you read this thread from the first page, you'll see that i made a lot of mistake but NLders were still behind me to correct my mistakes.
IF ITS IN YOU, ITS IN YOU!
youngemmy61: Please, i just got to this site as a new member and i want every literary giant here to pls enlighten me more on how to write a story or novel as well. Please tell me what i need or need to do before i can start mine. Pls come to my aid...!
luvmijeje: *still following*
[quote author=Eze Promoe]
[color=crimson]I asked this same question months back and someone told me to "WRITE SOMETHING FIRST" and i did, that was how it worked for Thank you some eze promoe. But i still lack some descriptive terms e.g to describe someone, event or circumstance. looking to hear from you!
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 6:47pm On May 25, 2013
^^^ Like i said earlier, WRITE SOMETHING FIRST, and Nairalanders will correct you where you go wrong.
If you say you can't do it, you can't do it.
Re: Prisoners Of War by luvmijeje(f): 8:48pm On May 25, 2013
.Wow! I'm dumb-founded, astonished, amazed and inspired.
Twice u bought me to tears with ur beautiful story. It is truly in you.
Eze, one thing I have learnt from you is your ability to make urself stronger from criticism. Fine u are not there yet but for u to be here within a short time, then in a matter of time u will get there.
I don't know what to say again but to say well done.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply)

Famous Books, Countries That Banned Them And Why It Was Banned.- Tapread.net / Chimamamanda Adichie Fights Arthur Eze Over Land Grabbing / The Wall Between Us. A Novel By EneChelsea

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.