Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,388 members, 7,808,371 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:05 AM

Things You Never Knew About Mike Adenuga, Nigeria’s Second Richest Man - Celebrities (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Things You Never Knew About Mike Adenuga, Nigeria’s Second Richest Man (77452 Views)

MIKE ADENUGA, Nigeria’s Second Richest Man / See Photos Of Tayo Faniran; Nigeria’s Second House Mate In Big Brother Hotshot / Mike Adenuga Paid N200Million For A Burial Space In A Cemetery (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Things You Never Knew About Mike Adenuga, Nigeria’s Second Richest Man by ifedun2: 8:41am On Feb 26, 2013
Little wonder the Holybook says we should dispise not,the days of little beginning.The man try sha.
Re: Things You Never Knew About Mike Adenuga, Nigeria’s Second Richest Man by luluosas(m): 8:42am On Feb 26, 2013
Which person go take read all these long tori na?
Re: Things You Never Knew About Mike Adenuga, Nigeria’s Second Richest Man by ayox2003: 8:45am On Feb 26, 2013
Nuzo':
Great life achievement!

Aside from Mike being granted custody of an unborn kid, Iya wrote nothhing new.

Its a pity Mike, Kalu, IBB and Iya want to use this book to get back at OBJ.

The sad part of it is that they won't tell the whole truth about why OBJ's acted the way he did.

Its all in the past now, and good a thing...Glo is doing great as an indiginous service provider.

Bella at ETB was the most down to earth, accessible and kindest human being you will ever meet.

Nuzo, we don't know who really owns Glo but this statement about OBJ is sickening.
Still in his yet to be released biography, he talks of how Obasanjo demanded a sum of £ 1 million donation (N250 million) from him for his Presidential Library Project. Adenuga had no choice but to drop a quarter of a billion naira as the Chief Launcher. In the book, the scenario was described thus: “Adenuga had gone to Abeokuta with Dr. Yemi Ogunbuyi for the occasion and the duo had decided to go to greet Baba first. But they were intercepted by a man in a white Kaftan robe who turned out to be Obasanjo’s cousin. The cousin politely said Baba wanted to know how much Adenuga was going to donate. Incidentally, Adenuga had raised this question with Ogunbiyi on their way coming. ‘How much do you think I should donate to this thing?’
‘I don’t really know may be N100 million,’ Ogunbiyi suggested.
‘That’s exactly how much I have in mind,’ declared Adenuga.
“Now the question from Obasanjo’s emissary was curious and unusual, he thought, but nevertheless, he had no choice but to inform the man that he planned to donate N100 million, thinking the man would be very impressed. Wrong. Obasanjo’s cousin brought out a piece of paper and handed it to Adenuga. ‘Sorry sir, but Baba says you can’t donate less than that amount,’ the man had written.
“Inside the piece of paper was the sum of N250 million scribbled in Obasanjo’s handwriting with a red pen. ‘No problem,’ Adenuga told the emissary, wondering if others were subjected to the same experience, but also knowing he dared not ask anybody, lest he be betrayed. He later showed Ogunbiyi the piece of paper. ‘I’ll give anything he wants,’ he told Ogunbiyi. ‘I’m afraid of that man o. N250 million is about the price of an oil well,’ Adenuga added.”

When El-rufail wrote bad things about OBJ, we thought he was being political but this goes to show that he's really very corrupt. Little wonder Fayose always lambasted him on TV. OBJ is very corrupt. Pure and simple.

Frawzey
Re: Things You Never Knew About Mike Adenuga, Nigeria’s Second Richest Man by JimmyBoy1: 8:46am On Feb 26, 2013
I just gulped the whole article.
Re: Things You Never Knew About Mike Adenuga, Nigeria’s Second Richest Man by andyjell01(m): 8:49am On Feb 26, 2013
I can see joblessness here,sorry go get ursef sumfin 2 do
If u did all dis typin ursef then u r really jobless
Re: Things You Never Knew About Mike Adenuga, Nigeria’s Second Richest Man by Nobody: 8:53am On Feb 26, 2013
Very interesting write-up. The guy's ajasa added colour to it.
Re: Things You Never Knew About Mike Adenuga, Nigeria’s Second Richest Man by executinal(m): 8:54am On Feb 26, 2013
So finally i was able to finish this long story. Well very soon my story will be out.

Nice write up.
Re: Things You Never Knew About Mike Adenuga, Nigeria’s Second Richest Man by sessile: 8:55am On Feb 26, 2013
What an achievement
Re: Things You Never Knew About Mike Adenuga, Nigeria’s Second Richest Man by Drdaps(m): 8:56am On Feb 26, 2013
Obinnau: This is an interesting write up. Maybe u will write my own autobiography one day.
not maybe he will write mine oneday.
Re: Things You Never Knew About Mike Adenuga, Nigeria’s Second Richest Man by DISTINCT89(m): 9:01am On Feb 26, 2013
I no 1day u ll sit back n read ma own autobiography cos am working towards dat.
Re: Things You Never Knew About Mike Adenuga, Nigeria’s Second Richest Man by anonimi: 9:01am On Feb 26, 2013
For those who may be wondering about the legacy prospects of Adenuga investing in his cultural heritage, as per earlier post, read the follwoing from oyinbo BBC site:

Searching for the Queen of Sheba

A team of British scientists may have rediscovered the centre of one of Africa's greatest kingdoms - and the possible burial place of the legendary Queen of Sheba.
Hidden in the Nigerian rainforest, the earthworks at Eredo are just a few hour's drive from Lagos.

The team from Bournemouth University, working with archaeologist Dr Patrick Darling, have completed a preliminary survey of the wall and ditch measuring 70ft high in places and around 100 miles long.

While not approaching the complexity of a project like the pyramids in Egypt, the builders would have shifted an estimated 3.5 million cubic metres of earth during construction of the ramparts.
This is one million cubic metres more than the amount of rock and earth used in the Great Pyramid at Giza.

The wall marks out what the believed boundary of the original Ijebu kingdom, ruled by the 'Awujale' spiritual leader.

Civil wars and the arrival of the British eventually broke the kingdom's centuries-old Lagos lagoon trade monopoly.
But the Awujale of the modern day town of Ijebu-Ode still holds a traditional position of responsibility.

Dr Darling, described the Eredo site as a breathtaking find with many of its remains relatively intact, though overgrown by the rainforest.

"We are not linking what we found to a city, but to a vast kingdom boundary rampart," he told the BBC.
"The vertical sided ditches go around the area for 100 miles and it is more than 1,000 years old.
"That makes it the earliest proof of an kingdom founded in the African rainforest."

Love story

But more intriguing still is the suggested link to the Queen of Sheba, one of the world's oldest love stories.
According to the Old Testament, the Queen, ruler of Saba, sent a camel train of gold and ivory to King Solomon.

Solomon wooed and married the queen after she became overwhelmed by the splendour of his palace and their son began a dynasty of rulers in Ethiopia.
The Bible dates the queen's reign to the tenth century BC and modern scholars have speculated that a link between Judea and an ancient African queen led to the emergence of Judaism in Ethiopia.
In a tale closely linked to that in the Bible, the Koran describes the Queen as a sun worshipper based in the Arabian peninsula who was converted to Islam.
Arabian legend names the queen "Bilqis" and links her to the incense trade which was then a source of great regional power.

Bilikisu Sungbo

But 500-year-old Portuguese documents hint at the power of an Ijebu kingdom and build the case for Sheba being on the other side of the continent.
Local people near to the Eredo monuments link the area to Bilikisu Sungbo, another name for Sheba, said Dr Darling.
Local tradition speaks of a great queen building a vast monument of remembrance and there is an annual pilgrimage to what is believed to be her grave.

The region's long history of gold and ivory trade and the cultural importance of eunuchs linked to royal households further support the Sheba link.
"I don't want to overplay the Sheba theory, but it cannot be discounted," said Dr Darling.
"The local people believe it and that's what is important.
"Hundreds or thousands of pilgrims come to this area every year to honour what could be her grave, a magical shrine grove under tall trees.
"She's very much a real figure to local people. She is associated with the earlier figure of Bilikiso Sungbo, but I think the traditional figure was a powerful matriarch.
"The most cogent argument against it at the moment is the dating."

World heritage

The Pyramids: Could Nigeria find rival the great wonder?
Dr Darling, a member of the African Legacy educational organisation which is working with the Nigerian Government, said that Eredo could become Nigeria's first world heritage site, joining monuments like Stonehenge in the UK and the pyramids of Egypt.
He said Eredo had remained hidden to the outside world because of the lack of scientific and archaeological research in west Africa.
"What is exciting about this for me is that we are beginning to bring out the tremendous political and cultural achievements of black Africa," he said.
"But there is a lot more work that we can do in the region."

BBC News

For how long will we black people allow our stories be told by the whites and remain enslaved to them in all ways despite our individual brightness
Re: Things You Never Knew About Mike Adenuga, Nigeria’s Second Richest Man by holluwai(m): 9:21am On Feb 26, 2013
No be lie o, money is extremely good!!!

JudismphD: Money good o. Na money make person write dis text book of another man?
Re: Things You Never Knew About Mike Adenuga, Nigeria’s Second Richest Man by Sayfat(m): 9:23am On Feb 26, 2013
Obasanjo is the most corrupt leader Nigeria ever had.
Operation Feed the Nation (Obasanjo Farm of Nigeria).
He compelled 'the bull' to dole out 250m for the launching of his personal library project.
#Smh# for the old-rogue.
Iyaniwura, gbam, for the write-up.
Re: Things You Never Knew About Mike Adenuga, Nigeria’s Second Richest Man by Shinatu: 9:25am On Feb 26, 2013
Na wa, custody of the children given to him, including even the unborn? Money can surely do and undo.
Re: Things You Never Knew About Mike Adenuga, Nigeria’s Second Richest Man by chronique(m): 9:26am On Feb 26, 2013
Was enjoying it until I got to a part where the writer appeared to be getting economical with the truth. Or perharps,doesn't know enough of Mike Adenuga. How many people knew him until the advent of Glo? As a young man,I was always reading about influential Nigerians while growing up & I never came across the name "Mike Adenuga".
What year did he finish secondary school? What year did he finish university? If he was studying in the 70's,and at 22,was in Nigeria,importing different products & running several big businesses,how did he get the money? The naira was stronger than the dollar at that time or had dropped to be at par with it;it's therefore not possible to say he started with the money he got from his cab biz. His mum gave him the initial start-up capital? She must have been a very wealthy woman. A part I do not understand also,is how he built military barracks & was importing weapons for the military & police between 1975-1979(between ages 22-26). From the little I know,that's a very sensitive part of the military and it's not something that gets into the hand of just any bizman. You need some level of experience with the military(must have worked there) or... If he had $100 million to sink into oil exploration in 1990,then it means he was as wealthy as MKO Abiola,or close to him(wealthwise) as at that time,right? And nobody knew him?
Well,some things are missing there but all the same,congratulations to him(Dr Mike Adenuga).

I'd rather we get more successful stories of individuals who have worked hard & made money,without the influence & support of politicians & govt officials. The likes of Dangote,Otedola,Adenuga & co,are billionaires,not because they competed on a level playing ground with other businessmen,but because they recieved lots of waivers,benefits & favours from govt officials & politicians. These set of people unfortunately,do not inspire me. I prefer the story of Oluseun Osewa,a young boy/man who created Nigeria's largest website without favours from govt officials,& makes a decent living off it.

5 Likes

Re: Things You Never Knew About Mike Adenuga, Nigeria’s Second Richest Man by badassnigga(m): 9:36am On Feb 26, 2013
mind blowing. he is totally a mysterious man. cheesy
Re: Things You Never Knew About Mike Adenuga, Nigeria’s Second Richest Man by Duke007(m): 9:40am On Feb 26, 2013
Wow! At 36,The Bull floated a bank employing hundreds of people.That got me really thinking.Otunba is a great man.l ve learn so much fr this write up and l hope to ve his biography when it is launched.
Re: Things You Never Knew About Mike Adenuga, Nigeria’s Second Richest Man by obeleking(m): 9:50am On Feb 26, 2013
wow! I thought it will never kum to an end,this write up got me so mesmerize in it that a vehicle almost knock me down. Iyaniwura thank u for this u just made my day. The Bull(GCON) keep glowing in pride.

1 Like

Re: Things You Never Knew About Mike Adenuga, Nigeria’s Second Richest Man by Nobody: 9:53am On Feb 26, 2013
chronique: Was enjoying it until I got to a part where the writer appeared to be getting economical with the truth. Or perharps,doesn't know enough of Mike Adenuga. How many people knew him until the advent of Glo? As a young man,I was always reading about influential Nigerians while growing up & I never came across the name "Mike Adenuga".
boy/man who created Nigeria's largest website without favours from govt officials,& makes a decent living off it.
You are wrong, guy.
As a young boy too, I was always reading Tell and other newsmagazines on politics and economy. I first read about Adenuga in 1992 as a 10 year-old primary school pupil. I remember that edition of Tell (or was it Newswatch?) that wrote extensively on sale of some oil blocs and remember reading a sentence like '38 years old Micheal Adenuga also won XYZ block with his consolidated oil'. I remember vividly. I had known Adenuga since teh early 90's. Other names I saw in that edition of Tell, if I recall faintly, were Folawiyo, Arisekola, Abiola, Mai Deribe.

I knew Adenuga very well then. In fact, my younger brothers and classmates can testify to how I used to tell them about one young multi-millionaire that bought oil bloc, way back in the early 90's.

In any case, he floated Devcom Bank circa 1990. If you don't have money, you can't float a bank. I wonder why people say Glo brought him out. Well, that's for those who were not following news/economy in the 90's.

This is why I tried to tell people that this man was already a multi-billionaire before Glo. I knew him way before Dangote. I first heard of Dangote in 1996 when I heard on NTA news that one Alhaji Aliko Dangote donated N500,000 to Nigeria's olympic winning team.

You don't need to be a household name before you are rich. Glo brought him into limelight because telcom is a household business. There are many multi-billionaire oil magnates people don't know, because their business, upstream oil and gas is not a household thing. How many people know ABC Orjiakor of Seplat oil? How many people knew Modupe Alakija of Famfa oil before Forbes brought her out in 2012 when she is 60 plus already?

4 Likes

Re: Things You Never Knew About Mike Adenuga, Nigeria’s Second Richest Man by Nobody: 10:05am On Feb 26, 2013
Oboy!! The writeup/essay long no be small.chai! I tire tu read...nice one sha
Re: Things You Never Knew About Mike Adenuga, Nigeria’s Second Richest Man by abbeybanks(m): 10:05am On Feb 26, 2013
-While studying in the 1970s, he had to survive and raise his school fees by working as a security man and a taxi driver, an extremely dangerous job for a blackman in the crime-ridden boroughs of New York -Staten Island, the Bronx, Brooklyn and Queens.

The streets of New York will indeed make you brand new....
Re: Things You Never Knew About Mike Adenuga, Nigeria’s Second Richest Man by Revolva(m): 10:17am On Feb 26, 2013
So looooong I became unintrested jare ..adenuga get money for him own poket!! Jare
Re: Things You Never Knew About Mike Adenuga, Nigeria’s Second Richest Man by Frendys(m): 10:25am On Feb 26, 2013
A great man's semi biography. Worth reading!

I pity those that complain that the story is so long. That the man has come this far is heart warming and I am glad he is patriotic enough.

Some two weeks ago I listened to an interview about the richest man in INDIA on CNN: mind blowing!

Mike Adenuga should please grant interview on CNN to encourage and inspire people like me. It is time to come out.

I will appreciate if this great man could seek me out and Mentor me to bless this generation too.

I love it that he loved his Mum like I loved my Mum.

Keep riding high, the Bull!
Re: Things You Never Knew About Mike Adenuga, Nigeria’s Second Richest Man by omenka(m): 10:31am On Feb 26, 2013
Awesome!!
Re: Things You Never Knew About Mike Adenuga, Nigeria’s Second Richest Man by Nobody: 10:52am On Feb 26, 2013
I could not read more than ten lines from that article. Can someone please summarize it for me in one sentence?
Re: Things You Never Knew About Mike Adenuga, Nigeria’s Second Richest Man by Sircuba: 10:54am On Feb 26, 2013
Im sorry mike! I never know dis abt u...i promise to get a GLO sim if my etisalat BIS expires! IYANI WURA!
Re: Things You Never Knew About Mike Adenuga, Nigeria’s Second Richest Man by Orikinla(m): 11:01am On Feb 26, 2013
ONE QUESTION.
IF HIS PARENTS WERE WEALTHY AS NOTED, THEN WHY WERE THEY NOT SENDING HIM MONEY AS A STUDENT IN THE US?
LEST WE FORGET HIS FATHER WAS VERY MUCH ALIVE THEN.

1 Like

Re: Things You Never Knew About Mike Adenuga, Nigeria’s Second Richest Man by Orikinla(m): 11:06am On Feb 26, 2013
chronique: Was enjoying it until I got to a part where the writer appeared to be getting economical with the truth. Or perharps,doesn't know enough of Mike Adenuga. How many people knew him until the advent of Glo? As a young man,I was always reading about influential Nigerians while growing up & I never came across the name "Mike Adenuga".
What year did he finish secondary school? What year did he finish university? If he was studying in the 70's,and at 22,was in Nigeria,importing different products & running several big businesses,how did he get the money? The naira was stronger than the dollar at that time or had dropped to be at par with it;it's therefore not possible to say he started with the money he got from his cab biz. His mum gave him the initial start-up capital? She must have been a very wealthy woman. A part I do not understand also,is how he built military barracks & was importing weapons for the military & police between 1975-1979(between ages 22-26). From the little I know,that's a very sensitive part of the military and it's not something that gets into the hand of just any bizman. You need some level of experience with the military(must have worked there) or... If he had $100 million to sink into oil exploration in 1990,then it means he was as wealthy as MKO Abiola,or close to him(wealthwise) as at that time,right? And nobody knew him?
Well,some things are missing there but all the same,congratulations to him(Dr Mike Adenuga).

I'd rather we get more successful stories of individuals who have worked hard & made money,without the influence & support of politicians & govt officials. The likes of Dangote,Otedola,Adenuga & co,are billionaires,not because they competed on a level playing ground with other businessmen,but because they recieved lots of waivers,benefits & favours from govt officials & politicians. These set of people unfortunately,do not inspire me. I prefer the story of Oluseun Osewa,a young boy/man who created Nigeria's largest website without favours from govt officials,& makes a decent living off it.

THANK YOU.

ALL THE BILLIONAIRES IN NIGERIA HAVE A HUGE QUESTION MARK ON THEIR WEALTH.

DASH ME OIL BLOCK TODAY AND SEE IF I WILL NOT BECOME A BILLIONAIRE WITHIN 5 YEARS.

1 Like

Re: Things You Never Knew About Mike Adenuga, Nigeria’s Second Richest Man by ANYPEN(m): 11:08am On Feb 26, 2013
intriguing! can't believe he had his own had times. use to think his wealth was from his family...
Re: Things You Never Knew About Mike Adenuga, Nigeria’s Second Richest Man by dljbd1(m): 11:11am On Feb 26, 2013
This is astonishingly awesome! Since am able to read the whole writeup I think am becoming like him small small....lol...SOON!

1 Like

Re: Things You Never Knew About Mike Adenuga, Nigeria’s Second Richest Man by SEGAD: 11:14am On Feb 26, 2013
Jarus:
You are wrong, guy.
As a young boy too, I was always reading Tell and other newsmagazines on politics and economy. I first read about Adenuga in 1992 as a 10 year-old primary school pupil. I remember that edition of Tell (or was it Newswatch?) that wrote extensively on sale of some oil blocs and remember reading a sentence like '38 years old Micheal Adenuga also won XYZ block with his consolidated oil'. I remember vividly. I had known Adenuga since teh early 90's. Other names I saw in that edition of Tell, if I recall faintly, were Folawiyo, Arisekola, Abiola, Mai Deribe.

I knew Adenuga very well then. In fact, my younger brothers and classmates can testify to how I used to tell them about one young multi-millionaire that bought oil bloc, way back in the early 90's.

In any case, he floated Devcom Bank circa 1990. If you don't have money, you can't float a bank. I wonder why people say Glo brought him out. Well, that's for those who were not following news/economy in the 90's.

This is why I tried to tell people that this man was already a multi-billionaire before Glo. I knew him way before Dangote. I first heard of Dangote in 1996 when I heard on NTA news that one Alhaji Aliko Dangote donated N500,000 to Nigeria's olympic winning team.

You don't need to be a household name before you are rich. Glo brought him into limelight because telcom is a household business. There are many multi-billionaire oil magnates people don't know, because their business, upstream oil and gas is not a household thing. How many people know ABC Orjiakor of Seplat oil? How many people knew Modupe Alakija of Famfa oil before Forbes brought her out in 2012 when she is 60 plus already?

Oga Jarus, you absolutely correct. I read about Adenuga as far back as 1993.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Simi And Her Bridesmaids At Her Traditional Wedding (Photos) / Davido Hangs Out With His Girlfriend, Chioma And Her Sister, Jennifer / Nse Ikpe-Etim: I Removed My Womb To Live A Normal Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.