Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,278 members, 7,780,634 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 06:12 PM

Why Android Is Ahead Of Ios Contextually - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Why Android Is Ahead Of Ios Contextually (489 Views)

Android Is Even More Unsecure Than We Thought / 7 Reasons Why Android Phone Is Better Than Windows Phone / BBM for iPhone and Android is officially available (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why Android Is Ahead Of Ios Contextually by ibietela2(m): 3:21pm On Feb 26, 2013
I'm sitting with + Binil Antony who is showing me his app, Friday, which collects all sorts of stuff.
Why can't he do this on iOS? Because Apple doesn't let him code stuff that touches the dialer or the SMS functionality.
So, why is that important?
Well, what if you want to build a new kind of photo search? One that lets you do a query like this"show me all photos that I shot within an hour of getting a call from + Rocky Barbanica ." Now, that might not seem all that interesting, but that kind of thing is important to figure out context. But certainly searching for "all photos taken at Rackspace San Francisco" will be.
Add that to location, device state,and maybe even how close you are to a wifi radio (another thing Android lets developers study, but Apple doesn't) and you add up into a new kind of system.
As + Project Glass comes along atthe end of the year, think of all the use cases. This will be a lot more important, too, because we're going to shoot about 100x more photos than we are today. I might even set mine to automatically shoot photos everyminute or so.
Already Binil's app is a better context gatherer than, say, Moves, on the iPhone. He showed me another app, Dialer+, which lets him build a custom phone dialer based on the frequency someone calls. This is impossible to do in iOS.
Here's a few screen shots of Friday running on Binil's phone. Notice that this feed on his phone notes when he shut down his phone, or when he went into airplane mode, or did other things. Also, when calls came in. Or SMS's. Or emails.
I haven't seen an app like it on iPhone and I want one. So, I am being forced by Apple's lack of openness to switch to Android.
Which device am I getting? Well, Samsung is announcing a new device on March 14th. I'm trying to rearrange my schedule to be at the launch in New York.
Apple, if you aren't scared yet about this contextual trend you should be. I've been a die-hard iPhone customer ever since 2007. But you are forcing me to go elsewhere because of how you treat developers and how closed your systems are.

Source: https://m.google.com/app/basic/stream/z12wx1iwzwvyylx5q04cffurjy3rwli5eyk0k?cbp=b2mzfuzsjwkt&force=1&partnerid=operamini1104&sview=2&spath=/app/basic/stream&sparm=partnerid%3Doperamini1104%26force%3D1%26cbp%3Dfa8771uigog1
Re: Why Android Is Ahead Of Ios Contextually by Francheezy(m): 4:00pm On Feb 26, 2013

(1) (Reply)

Samsung Electronics Set To Unveil The S4 / Drop Ur 2go Username And Pple We Add U / Etisalat Poor Service Over The Weekend

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.