Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,217 members, 7,807,742 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:17 PM

Desirable Areas To Live In Lagos - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Desirable Areas To Live In Lagos (41854 Views)

Best City In Nigeria To Live In? / 10 Most Affordable Cities To Live In / Best Areas To Live In Ibadan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Desirable Areas To Live In Lagos by makizee(m): 9:16pm On Feb 26, 2013
The dream of the average person living in Lagos is to one day own a house in Lagos but there is Lagos and there is "Lagos", for example there are parts of Lagos i would not even consider owning property at, the wahala is not even worth it abeg so as a realtor and real estate enthusiast, I carried out a serious research (indeed) and i came up with a list of the 10 most desirable locations to own a house, provided money wasn't a constraint, taking into considerations that there are gated communities (estates) everywhere in Lagos where it would seem like you are balling in Monaco even but I’ll try not to include these estates like NICON Town, Carlton gate, you get my point.
.....so here is my list based on parameters like traffic patterns, general security situation, nearness to CBD's, Airport and the likes

10. Yaba/Akoka and environs: Yaba area of Lagos is a mix of commercial & residential properties and it is easily accessible from most part of the state, some really nice estates are also springing up around there plus it hosts quite a number of institutions, there are lot of bars, clubs and hotels for those that like a bit of living pleasure, and e-centre is always a good place to hangout at.

9. Surulere and Environs: Yezzir, good old surulere…..well it may not be revered as it was decades ago but surulere is still a nice place to work and live, not forgetting the numerous malls springing up, the redeveloped Adeniran Ogunsanya mall comes to mind

8. Apapa GRA and environs: i know when you hear of apapa, what readily comes to mind are container laden trailers and terrible traffic caused by the trucks entering and exiting the ports nearby but apapa still commands one of the highest prices on properties, both commercial and residential, a lot of "old money" resides there and foreigners too, in fact Apapa in the past used to be known for its expatriates status, surely it isn't what it used to be but Apapa "head still dey there"

7. Ajah/Lekki 2 and environs: Ajah has really come a long in terms of development and its proximity to the business hotbed of VI and Lagos Island has had a positive effect on its development plus the addition of posh estates around the place is also a good thing but there are dots of shanties also, not to mention the never ending traffic…..”gosh, if only I could afford Lekki Phase 1”, you might find yourself thinking as you drive home on a stressful Monday evening.

6. Oniru Estate/ Lekki 1: Very few places in the continent of Africa has attracted as much real estate development as these axis (of the rich) but a major downside for me is that this place like many nice places in Lagos is overpriced, the prices of properties are artificial, I just hope the bubble does not burst soon, that would be bad market for me.

5. Victoria island : VI has become the preferred location for big business to site their corporate headquarters displacing Lagos Island from this position, everybody want to have an office here, which some residents depending on who you talk to may find it pleasing or really as a nuisance, while some landlord are happy, smiling to the bank by leasing out their house to companies, others may not be fond of their next door neighbor who might just be a bank, anyhow VI is still a good place to live and own a property at.

4.Magodo GRA/ Omole Estates: if you are looking for a serene place to live where there is very little traffic except when a neighbor is having a party and very much residential with less commercial activity, the Magodo GRA Phase 2 (shangisha) is your best bet, located just on the other side of Alausa secretariat..With the nearby Omole Estate 1& 2, MKO Abiola Gardens, these places have come to define a visitor’s first impression of Lagos as they enter through the Lagos Ibadan Expressway

3.Ikeja GRA and Environs : Ikeja GRA is beautiful, it is by far the most popular GRA in the city and its location plus nearness to the Ikeja CBD and other nice areas like Maryland, Opebi Allen, ilupeju and the busiest Airport in the country MMIA, not forgetting the seat of power , Alausa makes ikeja GRA a prime location to build that dream home.

2. Ikoyi : From being the colonial quarters of yore to the present day, ikoyi has always worn the tag of where the nouve riche live, after so many of its original swampy lands have been sandfilled and developed into prime lands more than doubling its size, ikoyi continues to attract the elites that want exclusivity. Estates like Northern Foreshore and Parkview are some of the gated estates in ikoyi…..if you are looking to get a slice of ikoyi, you have to pay the price (literarily).

1.Banana Island: First of all (go down low, couldn’t resist…ha ha ha ), I am not a fan of banana island for the simple fact that it is the most grossly overpriced piece of real estate in the world, I could get a 6bedroom mansion in Beverly Hills for example for what it would cost me to get a 1200sq/metres of land in banana island. FACT. But it is what it is after all, this artificial sand filled island Ssection of ikoyi (surprised !) is the ultimate when it comes to where the average Mike (pun very much intended) would want to build his palatial palace, no matter how tacky and ridiculous it may appear to the general population, underground cable and drainage are some of the perks banana island has to offer.

PS: if you disagree with my list as expected, write your or give an opinion and I would love to compare and contrast.

Hello ....my blog has really come of age (for my mind)....it used to be www.makizee-thoughtsaloud..com, a mouthful right? That would make it so difficult to find in a sea of blogs in here, so I changed it to www.makizee..com....that should be easier, don't you all think, well to the business of the day

5 Likes

Re: Desirable Areas To Live In Lagos by MrUmaRu(m): 9:37pm On Feb 26, 2013
Your research is not up to date. You don't even know or ever heard of Agbado-crossing ? Just go there nd see.

8 Likes

Re: Desirable Areas To Live In Lagos by azpekuliar: 10:09pm On Feb 26, 2013
Mr UmaRu:

Your research is not up to date. You don't even know or ever heard of Agbado-crossing ? Just go there nd see.

Agbado bawo? Meschewwwwwwwwwww

14 Likes

Re: Desirable Areas To Live In Lagos by MrUmaRu(m): 10:19pm On Feb 26, 2013
azpekuliar:

Agbado bawo? Meschewwww
.. U need to be there once
Re: Desirable Areas To Live In Lagos by jaymichael(m): 10:24pm On Feb 26, 2013
APAPA GRA to me, is better than Ajah, lekki, v.i and its environs. You don't get the problem of flooding associated with those areas. MAGODO phase2 and OMOLE are fantastic places.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Desirable Areas To Live In Lagos by omonla555: 1:49pm On Nov 22, 2013
How about Akute?

2 Likes

Re: Desirable Areas To Live In Lagos by SIRcumalot: 1:50pm On Nov 22, 2013
Why Ikorodu no dey dis list ?

3 Likes

Re: Desirable Areas To Live In Lagos by Omexonomy: 1:52pm On Nov 22, 2013
What about ajegunle and ijora badia the most populated area in the world.

3 Likes

Re: Desirable Areas To Live In Lagos by feminineA: 1:52pm On Nov 22, 2013
I really love ikosi-GRA. vey strategic area. Dont mind having a house there. but i love my ikosi-ketu area o. we have light over 18hours a day

1 Like

Re: Desirable Areas To Live In Lagos by ritze(m): 1:56pm On Nov 22, 2013
Mr UmaRu:

You just cracked my ribs
cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Desirable Areas To Live In Lagos by Nobody: 1:57pm On Nov 22, 2013
Re: Desirable Areas To Live In Lagos by Jenomtwist(m): 1:57pm On Nov 22, 2013
[color=#770077][/color]lekki[b]lekki[/b]lekki
Re: Desirable Areas To Live In Lagos by Nobody: 1:58pm On Nov 22, 2013
non of dis places beat ajegunle..a.j is fun, a.j is cool, a.j home of talent, a.j d bst place to b....
i rep a.j city...
proudly ajegunlecian...

10 Likes

Re: Desirable Areas To Live In Lagos by Akshow: 1:58pm On Nov 22, 2013
Ajegunle nko?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Desirable Areas To Live In Lagos by Prowizy2(m): 1:59pm On Nov 22, 2013
What of Otuoke?
Re: Desirable Areas To Live In Lagos by DRealGeesam(m): 2:03pm On Nov 22, 2013
winkOn point. Op u know ur stuff. grin
Here is a very interesting piece abt banana island (Yuzedo can confirm this i hope) grin
Culled from forbes.com

If you never heard about the Island, now you
know. Banana Island is Nigeria’s most extravagant
and expensive neighborhood – on par with the
Seventh Arrondissement in Paris, La Jolla in San
Diego, California and Tokyo’s Shibuya or Roppongi
neighborhoods.
The exclusive playground of Nigeria’s obscenely
wealthy, Banana Island is an artificial island built
on reclaimed land in Ikoyi-Lagos. From an aerial
view, the island is actually shaped like a banana,
hence its name. Sitting on 1.6 million square
meters, the sumptuous island is divided into about
535 plots ranging in size from 1,000 square meters
and 3,000 square meters.
Banana Island is a place of unrivalled opulence
and grandeur. It’s an entirely different world from
other parts of the country. It’s a gated community,
and its inhabitants enjoy such luxuries as
underground electrical systems and water supply
networks, 24 hour-electricity supply (the only other
place such privileged is the Nigerian President’s
residence), extremely tight security, good road
layout, a central sewage system and treatment
plant and the well-cherished company of fellow
wealthy folks.
The island is the most expensive place in Nigeria
and one of the most expensive in Africa to own a
house. Property on Banana Island is dollar-
denominated. The average cost of buying a three
bedroom apartment is $2 million. However, if
you’re just looking to hang around the island for
some time, and not to buy property, you can rent
the same apartment for about $150,000 per
annum. But there’s a clause: you must pay for an
initial minimum term of 2 years – in advance. And
there are no refunds. Ever! Also, the tenant is also
mandated to pay a ‘service charge’ of $17,000 per
annum.
A typical plot of land on the island usually goes for
between $4 million and $6 million, and the
cheapest building on the island costs upward of $8
million. But because of the ridiculous prices of
property on the island, about 60% of the
completed buildings are currently unoccupied.
So, who are the people who occupy the land? The
list includes multinational corporations, well-paid
expatriate employees, corrupt government officials;
their concubines (or mistresses), and wealthy
businessmen such as Alhassan Dantata, Kola
Abiola and Nigeria’s newest billionaire, Mike
Adenuga.

5 Likes

Re: Desirable Areas To Live In Lagos by chemashie(m): 2:04pm On Nov 22, 2013
So Gbagada is not part of your research abi? Rubbish!!
Re: Desirable Areas To Live In Lagos by massmedia: 2:04pm On Nov 22, 2013
Why din't u mention BARIGA @ op,,,that's d bestplace to live in lagos....very lively,,no dull moment,,and residents are alwayz smat,,,am proud to be a Bariga boy.....

1 Like

Re: Desirable Areas To Live In Lagos by snika: 2:06pm On Nov 22, 2013
And then you enter bus 300 naira and spend 4 hours in traffic jam just to get something from a few miles away.

Mtcheew. Phuked up zoo.
Re: Desirable Areas To Live In Lagos by planetuzor(m): 2:07pm On Nov 22, 2013
WHERE IS [size=20pt]VGC[/size] ON THE LIST

1 Like

Re: Desirable Areas To Live In Lagos by Eyop: 2:07pm On Nov 22, 2013
chemashie: So Gbagada is not part of your research abi? Rubbish!!

What part of Gbagada?

1 Like

Re: Desirable Areas To Live In Lagos by DRealGeesam(m): 2:08pm On Nov 22, 2013
Mr. Yuzedo, how much u buy land 4 banana iceland naw. grin we need ur contribution here o.
Re: Desirable Areas To Live In Lagos by Lilimax(f): 2:09pm On Nov 22, 2013
What of Okokomaiko and Ajamgbadi sad grin?

1 Like

Re: Desirable Areas To Live In Lagos by curiouslad(m): 2:11pm On Nov 22, 2013
If only the rail system functioned
Then i can leave my Ibadan 6:45am to arrive at Work in Lagos before 8am
And i can Leave work By 4pm and be home before 7pm

Then i can have peace of mind as well as a little sanity to boot!
Lagos traffic is just... lipsrsealed

3 Likes

Re: Desirable Areas To Live In Lagos by baba2ndey: 2:11pm On Nov 22, 2013
Indeed ur research is not yet complete. There is a developing area along lagos /ibadan express way call "AREPO" d place is superb. D electricity dere is ok at least 18hrs/day and it will even get beter, security is at its peak, there are a lot of fine estate there with mighty buildings among dem are: avana est, yah wahab, al- fridous, praise hill wch i reside, and d king of dem all jornalist phase 1 & 2 Etc. U need to be dere.

2 Likes

Re: Desirable Areas To Live In Lagos by DRealGeesam(m): 2:11pm On Nov 22, 2013
Akshow: Ajegunle nko?
grin guy u funny die
Re: Desirable Areas To Live In Lagos by Cubeet: 2:12pm On Nov 22, 2013
IKOTUN EGBE nko?
Re: Desirable Areas To Live In Lagos by DRealGeesam(m): 2:15pm On Nov 22, 2013
By the way the average rent in Ikoyi is $3,000 a month. Not yet desirable for those of us still building our mansion at the village grin
Re: Desirable Areas To Live In Lagos by Nobody: 2:17pm On Nov 22, 2013
I agree. I connect anywhere from sl. Even when i stayed at apapa.
Re: Desirable Areas To Live In Lagos by Nobody: 2:17pm On Nov 22, 2013
ritze:

You just cracked my ribs
cheesy

The guy na clown. How person go dey live inside corn?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Man Dies In Accident On Banex-Gwarimapa Expressway, Abuja. Do You Know Him?(pic) / UK Warns Its Citizens To Avoid 22 States In Nigeria Over Insecurity Issues / Fatima Abba-Gwadabe The First Commercial Pilot In Kano

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.