Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,357 members, 7,808,241 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:16 AM

FIRS Boss: North Accuses Okonjo-iweala Of Ethnicity - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FIRS Boss: North Accuses Okonjo-iweala Of Ethnicity (2599 Views)

The Problem Of Ethnicity In Nigeria / FIRS Boss, Tunde Fowler And Wife At Event In Lagos (Photos) / THE TRUTH ON WHY GEJ SACKED FIRS BOSS AND APPOINTED ACTING CHAIRMAN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

FIRS Boss: North Accuses Okonjo-iweala Of Ethnicity by Paschal007: 7:52am On Feb 27, 2013

Northern Civil Society Coalition on Tuesday in Kaduna knocked the  Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister for the Economy, Dr. Ngozi Okonji-Iweala, of playing an ethnic game to rob the North of chairmanship of the Federal Inland Revenue Service.

They called on President Goodluck Jonathan to immediately  intervene in the matter.

The coalition, led by human rights activist and President of Civil Rights Congress, Mallam Shehu Sani,  while commending former Governor of Kaduna State, Senator Ahmed Makarfi, for resigning his membership  of the committee set up by the finance minister  to appoint the chairman of FIRS, queried the rationale behind the appointment of a new chairman when a northerner was already in the position.

Sani Said, “First of all, I must commend Senator Ahmed Mohammed Makarfi, for resigning from the committee set up by the Minister of Finance, Dr. Ngozi Okonji-Iweala. In the interest of his own integrity, probity and the transparency of the process of appointing the Chairman of the Federal Inland Revenue Service, it is clear that the minister has an ethnic agenda.

“It is inconceivable that the minister would set up a committee to appoint a new chairman of FIRS, while lining up her Ibo kinsmen as members of the committee. It is also very wrong and inappropriate to bring in a former chairman of the service to be part of the committee for the screening of a new chairman.

“And it is wrong for Mr. President to hand over the project of appointing the chairman of the FIRS to the minister. Nigerians would like to know the process that was arrived at and all the names that were shortlisted for the interview that is to come up on March 3, 2013.

He added, “We don’t believe there is transparency in the process, and we caution the President against the excessive ceding of his own power to the finance minister.

“The appointment of a person in such an important position of the chairman of the FIRS should be done in a transparent manner and with credibility. Such a process should be opened to Nigerians for scrutiny.”

http://www.punchng.com/news/firs-boss-north-accuses-okonjo-iweala-of-ethnicity/
Re: FIRS Boss: North Accuses Okonjo-iweala Of Ethnicity by Boss13: 8:14am On Feb 27, 2013
This ethnic issue is just getting so irritating. This needs to be addressed because so many people are playing cheap politics with it.
Re: FIRS Boss: North Accuses Okonjo-iweala Of Ethnicity by gramci: 8:23am On Feb 27, 2013
So aboki also cry cheesy
Re: FIRS Boss: North Accuses Okonjo-iweala Of Ethnicity by manny4life(m): 8:26am On Feb 27, 2013
The people never seem to QUIT, anyway, ethnic bickering is the norm.
Re: FIRS Boss: North Accuses Okonjo-iweala Of Ethnicity by abbakacici: 8:35am On Feb 27, 2013
Am not suprise all The 6 igbo minister are bais

1 Like

Re: FIRS Boss: North Accuses Okonjo-iweala Of Ethnicity by AustineE1: 8:43am On Feb 27, 2013
..Shehu Sani is indeed a big disgrace,listen to him 'while lining up his igbo kinsmen as part of the committee',so now there is an unwritten law that igbos shld nt be members of committees involved in selection of board chairman and head of parastatals.Where is this igbophobia coming from,why are Nigerians of Yoruba and Hausa origin so threatened by the emergence of igbos in positions of authority!this is becoming so irritating that people are now using the ethnic card as against merit and competence!why wont the Hausas bring out their best for the FIRS chairmanship interview or are they scared that giving equal opportunity they may never make it to the top,your guest is as good as mine!

13 Likes

Re: FIRS Boss: North Accuses Okonjo-iweala Of Ethnicity by Mcdondayan: 8:46am On Feb 27, 2013
I dont blame all of you. So ethnicity should be put first before competence. No wonder Nigeria has been on reverese for lon.g

1 Like

Re: FIRS Boss: North Accuses Okonjo-iweala Of Ethnicity by Afam4eva(m): 8:56am On Feb 27, 2013
Here we go again. I pity whoever becomes the first Igbo president. The abuse meted out to Jonathan will be a piece of cake compared to what will befall such a person.

4 Likes

Re: FIRS Boss: North Accuses Okonjo-iweala Of Ethnicity by Igwe9(m): 9:12am On Feb 27, 2013
See blackmail! A chairman is yet to be appointment and they are criticizing to draw attention and sympathy. Theirs was a member then resigned to frustrate the process and instead of them to join hand for a credible person to be selected, NO, they'd busy taunting, and if the position is reserved for the Northerners, then how could they forget that somebody cannot be a referee in his own match.
Re: FIRS Boss: North Accuses Okonjo-iweala Of Ethnicity by miiraaj: 9:21am On Feb 27, 2013
Why are Igbos so selfish? Why do they always want to dominate everywhere when given the slightest oppurtunity? Igbos! Igbos!! why always you? This same act led to the destruction of Ironsi, but they still fail to learn.
Igbos should learn to have respect for ethnic groups in Nigeria and should stop seein themselves as superior to other ethnic groups. That's the only way they can be trusted.

5 Likes

Re: FIRS Boss: North Accuses Okonjo-iweala Of Ethnicity by slimghost(m): 9:31am On Feb 27, 2013
miiraaj: Why are Igbos so selfish? Why do they always want to dominate everywhere when given the slightest oppurtunity? Igbos! Igbos!! why always you? This same act led to the destruction of Ironsi, but they still fail to learn.
Igbos should learn to have respect for ethnic groups in Nigeria and should stop seein themselves as superior to other ethnic groups. That's the only way they can be trusted.

You are truly a bastard and a retard at the same time! Offence meant smiley

11 Likes

Re: FIRS Boss: North Accuses Okonjo-iweala Of Ethnicity by Igwe9(m): 9:34am On Feb 27, 2013
miiraaj: Why are Igbos so selfish? Why do they always want to dominate everywhere when given the slightest oppurtunity? Igbos! Igbos!! why always you? This same act led to the destruction of Ironsi, but they still fail to learn.
was that supposed to be a threat you slowpoke?
Re: FIRS Boss: North Accuses Okonjo-iweala Of Ethnicity by abbakacici: 9:35am On Feb 27, 2013
The problem is that okonjo like other igbo people in authority will go looking igbo condidate with the highest qualification for the that position no one will have problem if he give yarubu or fulani the position

1 Like

Re: FIRS Boss: North Accuses Okonjo-iweala Of Ethnicity by akintun: 10:14am On Feb 27, 2013
Now dat d former chairman of FIRS has shown dat there is money in d corporation, many individuals would play dirty politics to get their people there. I wonder why d impressive Edo born former chairman of d agency does not receive good media coverage like other former DG's of less impressive agencies dat bribe media men.
Re: FIRS Boss: North Accuses Okonjo-iweala Of Ethnicity by theripper: 11:51am On Feb 27, 2013
Aboki Cu*n*ts whining like sissies. Well, Okonjo is more intelligent than 98% of y'all. Let her handle her biz well and do the needful.
Re: FIRS Boss: North Accuses Okonjo-iweala Of Ethnicity by mekaboy(m): 12:04pm On Feb 27, 2013
IN OTHER WORDS, THEY SHOULD PERMANENTLY LEAVE THE POSITION FOR THE NORTHERS AS THEIR BIRTH RIGHT? NOW THAT THE NORTHERNERS ARE LOOSING THE GRIP THAT THEY BELIEVE IS THEIR INHERITANCE, THE CRY FOUL EVERYWHERE. I THOUGHT THEY SHOULD COMPLAIN WHEN THE PERSON THAT IS APPOINTED AS THE NEW HEAD IS NOT SELECTED ON MERIT .

WITH THE LEVEL OF UNEDUCATED NORTHERNERS WHO WILL BUY INTO ANYTHING THEIR SELFISH LEADERS SELL TO THEM, THERE CAN NEVER BE PEACE IN THE NORTH IF THEY DO NOT PRODUCE THE NEXT PRESIDENT.

THE POSSIBILITY THAT NIGERIA WILL SECEDE BY 2015 IS VERY POSSIBLE. BECAUSE IF A NORTHERNER DOES NOT WIN, THEY WONT ACCEPT THE RESULT.

1 Like

Re: FIRS Boss: North Accuses Okonjo-iweala Of Ethnicity by M17: 12:53pm On Feb 27, 2013
cool

2 Likes

Re: FIRS Boss: North Accuses Okonjo-iweala Of Ethnicity by Nobody: 3:32pm On Feb 27, 2013
Hahahahaha!

I pity those who still believe in the so called "one" Nigeria!
Am I surprised? No!
Nigeria is the creation of the enemies of freedom!

Shame of the British!

When will Biafra be free?

1 Like

Re: FIRS Boss: North Accuses Okonjo-iweala Of Ethnicity by Chamber10(m): 3:56pm On Feb 27, 2013

I am yet to understand your point. Everthing should not be tribalized abeg. What we need is competent person that can deliver. #I am from the SW though#

1 Like

Re: FIRS Boss: North Accuses Okonjo-iweala Of Ethnicity by tomakint: 4:56pm On Feb 27, 2013
Bunch of deluded 'bigots' now crying of ethnicity? I dey laff oooo cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: FIRS Boss: North Accuses Okonjo-iweala Of Ethnicity by Nobody: 5:47pm On Feb 27, 2013
I'm disappointed in Shehu Sanni. FIRS boss is not like minister or board chairmen, we should bother less about ethnicity of whoever occupies the position.

They should let professionalism prevail. I know the current acting FIRS chair is a Hausa guy, Kabir something, who is the most senior director in FIRS if I'm right. I think he should be part of the nominees too, but I doubt Ngozi would play the ethnic card.

It pains me that we haven't gone beyond this stage.

As a tax accountant myself, I commend the last FIRS woman, Omoigui, not because she is Ibo, but because of the work she did.

This PwC guy, Taiwo Ogundele, to me is one of our best hands in tax today. I wish he is considered too. He is a very brilliant professional in his thirties. I believe he can continue from where Omoigui stopped.

2 Likes

Re: FIRS Boss: North Accuses Okonjo-iweala Of Ethnicity by asha80(m): 5:59pm On Feb 27, 2013
Jarus: I'm disappointed in Shehu Sanni. FIRS boss is not like minister or board chairmen, we should bother less about ethnicity of whoever occupies the position.

They should let professionalism prevail. I know the current acting FIRS chair is a Hausa guy, Kabir something, who is the most senior director in FIRS if I'm right. I think he should be part of the nominees too, but I doubt Ngozi would play the ethnic card.

As a tax accountant myself, I commend the last FIRS woman, Omoigui, not because she is Ibo, but because of the work she did.

This PwC guy, Taiwo Ogundele, to me is one of our best hands in tax today. I wish he is considered too. He is a very brilliant professional in his thirties. I believe he can continue from where Omoigui stopped.
omoigui is not igbo.she is bini or from edo.
Re: FIRS Boss: North Accuses Okonjo-iweala Of Ethnicity by masu: 6:24pm On Feb 27, 2013
when yorubas and core-north dominates and covert any ministry no group speaks but
when ibo people makes any move these guys run to media house and start crying foul.

the only group that should be complaining of been short changed are the minority and ibo.
but as for me i need credibility not tribalism but yorubas and core north won't let that happen in nigeria.

yes am from a minority group but i never see where berom,urhobo,ijaw,efik,jukun and igala people complain about federal apointment short change.
why is it only core north and yorubas complaining,
even now they dominates so many ministry and nobody is talking about it.

5 Likes

Re: FIRS Boss: North Accuses Okonjo-iweala Of Ethnicity by masu: 6:32pm On Feb 27, 2013
in-fact am confirming what my ibo friend told me about core north and yorubas hatred of ibos.

he also said that core northerners and yorubas holds nigeria captive and will do everything to make it remain so.

these i see as pure truth

4 Likes

Re: FIRS Boss: North Accuses Okonjo-iweala Of Ethnicity by alex101(m): 6:38pm On Feb 27, 2013
Jarus: I'm disappointed in Shehu Sanni. FIRS boss is not like minister or board chairmen, we should bother less about ethnicity of whoever occupies the position.

People like you that like to appear neutral are extremely dangerous. So you now associtae Omoigui with Igbo, after all the debate on the falsehood by one Nowa Omoigui of Edo extraction?

6 Likes

Re: FIRS Boss: North Accuses Okonjo-iweala Of Ethnicity by masu: 6:47pm On Feb 27, 2013
by alex101: People like you that like to appear neutral are extremely dangerous. So you now associtae Omoigui with Igbo, after all the debate on the falsehood by one Nowa Omoigui of Edo extraction?

i used to like yoruba people until i found out that they are truly deadily and deceiptive,
and every nice thing i used to blv about them are totaly false and mere propaganda.

i personaly wish yorubas to come and exchange geographic location with my home state plateau, we are tired to stay with fulanis.

4 Likes

Re: FIRS Boss: North Accuses Okonjo-iweala Of Ethnicity by miiraaj: 7:09pm On Feb 27, 2013
slimghost:

You are truly a bastard and a retard at the same time! Offence meant smiley

Its so sad that your dad(if you are really sure of who actually is) wasted his spermm on a rotten egg to conceive a slowpoke like you. wink
Re: FIRS Boss: North Accuses Okonjo-iweala Of Ethnicity by PointB: 7:15pm On Feb 27, 2013
Nigerians, please behold one of the people dragging this country back. His name is Mallam Shehu Sani, clearly, it is and accursed name!
Re: FIRS Boss: North Accuses Okonjo-iweala Of Ethnicity by Nobody: 7:19pm On Feb 27, 2013
alex101: People like you that like to appear neutral are extremely dangerous. So you now associtae Omoigui with Igbo, after all the debate on the falsehood by one Nowa Omoigui of Edo extraction?

Instead of simply correccting me that she is Edo, you resorted to name-calling. Have I mentioned igbo in negative light in my comment?

1 Like

Re: FIRS Boss: North Accuses Okonjo-iweala Of Ethnicity by abbakacici: 7:26pm On Feb 27, 2013
The problem is that when a igbo man or woman is in the position of power and is time for appionment all the competant people miracliously become igbo

1 Like

Re: FIRS Boss: North Accuses Okonjo-iweala Of Ethnicity by gramci: 7:29pm On Feb 27, 2013
masu: in-fact am confirming what my ibo friend told me about core north and yorubas hatred of ibos.

he also said that core northerners and yorubas holds nigeria captive and will do everything to make it remain so.

these i see as pure truth

They are not interested in moving nigeria forward
Re: FIRS Boss: North Accuses Okonjo-iweala Of Ethnicity by gramci: 7:29pm On Feb 27, 2013
alex101: People like you that like to appear neutral are extremely dangerous. So you now associtae Omoigui with Igbo, after all the debate on the falsehood by one Nowa Omoigui of Edo extraction?

That man na original chameleon

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Tools Gej Use To Divide Nigerians / President Obama Endorses GEJ Appeals To Nigeria To Vote For Continuity / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.