Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,449 members, 7,770,116 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 04:08 AM

Most Stolen iPhones Are In Africa - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Most Stolen iPhones Are In Africa (11768 Views)

9 Reasons Why Iphones Are Better Than Android Phones / SHOKING: Iphones Are Now Exploding / The Mysterious Success Of Apple Iphones – Why Iphones Are So Popular? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Most Stolen iPhones Are In Africa by Adanyebe(m): 3:21pm On Feb 27, 2013
Ever since cell phone carriers created a national registry of stolen phones on Nov. 1, it’s become much harder, if not impossible, to reactivate one in the U.S. That’s the good news. Here’s the bad: The database isn’t likely to rob thieves of the desire to steal your phone.
[img]http://2.bp..com/-gGxbhNe6wmY/US4RY2cnwTI/AAAAAAAAA3A/yosTq-PYNKw/s1600/stoleniphone.jpg[/img]

All major U.S. cell phone companies, including Verizon (VZ), AT&T (T), T-Mobile, and Sprint (S), are now sharing the serial numbers of stolen phones through the registry. Like VIN numbers on cars, these unique IDs are branded onto the hardware of the device and are hard to tamper with. If a thief tries to pop out a SIM card and use a phone purchased from one U.S. company to sign up for service with another, the serial number will automatically show up as belonging to a stolen phone.Courtesy ecoATM

But wireless providers in other countries aren’t part of the registry. And savvy iPhone thieves have realized that the way to get around it is by selling smartphones overseas, according to Washington, D.C., Police Chief Cathy Lanier.

Secondhand dealers buy used phones for cash, then pool and sell them to middlemen who resell them to retailers in Africa or China, says Lanier, who led the effort to establish the U.S. registry. A stolen phone can go for $400 abroad, she says. “That completely voids the blacklist we worked a year and half to put in place,” Lanier told me. “The new entrepreneurs … have created new challenges for us.”
Lanier has recently begun to point fingers at companies she says are facilitating the black market. One is the large video-game retailer, Gamestop, in Grapevine, Tex., which buys used smartphones. “We’ve found stolen phones in their possession,” Lanier said on Feb. 19 on a D.C. local news program, NewsTalk with Bruce DePuyt. Lanier said on the show that Gamestop has started to provide Washington police with serial numbers of the used phones it buys and is considering ending the practice of paying cash for phones. “We are working with police,” Gamestop spokeswoman Wendy Dominguez writes in an e-mail.
The Federal Communications Commission is in the early stages of an effort to crack down on the black market overseas. The agency recently signed a data-sharing agreement with Mexico; wireless companies in Mexico and the U.S. are now sharing serial numbers of stolen phones. The FCC is looking to sign more agreements with other countries, says FCC spokesman Neil Grace. Hopefully that will happen soon. It might be the only way to stop some guy on the streets of Lagos, Nigeria, from listening to your playlists, checking out your vacation pictures, or worse–stealing your identity.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-02-22/your-stolen-iphone-may-be-in-china-or-africa
http://naijafreakynews..com/2013/02/most-iphones-found-in-nigeria-are-stolen-says-research.html
Re: Most Stolen iPhones Are In Africa by confusion247(m): 3:31pm On Feb 27, 2013
That will be a welcomed development if it will be implemented in Nigeria.
Re: Most Stolen iPhones Are In Africa by braine(m): 4:58pm On Feb 27, 2013
They now bring it and sell at exorbitant prices.
Re: Most Stolen iPhones Are In Africa by colombiana: 5:02pm On Feb 27, 2013
Na today we knw say nyash get center path. Mtchewww
Re: Most Stolen iPhones Are In Africa by seedord247(m): 5:02pm On Feb 27, 2013
confusion247: That will be a welcomed development if it will be implemented in Nigeria.

How is it gonna be a welcome development when most of our stolen resources is being used in the west.

4 Likes

Re: Most Stolen iPhones Are In Africa by iamswizz(m): 5:02pm On Feb 27, 2013
where else would it be
Re: Most Stolen iPhones Are In Africa by Blackteeth(m): 5:03pm On Feb 27, 2013
When the phones get to Africa they would be stolen and re-stolen again.

8 Likes

Re: Most Stolen iPhones Are In Africa by Nobody: 5:03pm On Feb 27, 2013
Was the bolded in your post actually put in the article?
What an insult angry....

Is Nigeria the only country in Africa?
The person who wrote the article is very sillly

5 Likes

Re: Most Stolen iPhones Are In Africa by wisgal080: 5:03pm On Feb 27, 2013
[color=#770077][/color]they now bring to africa and sell,such a thing is not good
Re: Most Stolen iPhones Are In Africa by miccheck57: 5:03pm On Feb 27, 2013
Really?... That's good... How I wish they can even steal the white house and bring to lagos
Re: Most Stolen iPhones Are In Africa by wisgal080: 5:04pm On Feb 27, 2013
they now bring to africa and sell,such a thing is not good[/quote]
Re: Most Stolen iPhones Are In Africa by Adanyebe(m): 5:04pm On Feb 27, 2013
iamswizz: where else would it be
Ghana
Re: Most Stolen iPhones Are In Africa by Nobody: 5:04pm On Feb 27, 2013
please o! whats the difference between an iphone and an Android phone? Me i no sabi anything for phone matter.
Re: Most Stolen iPhones Are In Africa by wisgal080: 5:04pm On Feb 27, 2013
they now bring to africa and sell,such a thing is not good
Re: Most Stolen iPhones Are In Africa by MEILYN(m): 5:05pm On Feb 27, 2013
4 naija? Alaba boys will find a way out
Re: Most Stolen iPhones Are In Africa by coalcoal1(m): 5:06pm On Feb 27, 2013
Hmmm
Re: Most Stolen iPhones Are In Africa by Temismith(f): 5:06pm On Feb 27, 2013
Eeeooow! So its possible dat i hav once bought a white person's stolen fone? God forgive me o. I wont do it again.

2 Likes

Re: Most Stolen iPhones Are In Africa by ebamma(m): 5:09pm On Feb 27, 2013
berem: please o! whats the difference between an iphone and an Android phone? Me i no sabi anything for phone matter.
Iphone is a name of a person, animal place or thing while Android is a word used instead of a noun

10 Likes

Re: Most Stolen iPhones Are In Africa by sobastical: 5:11pm On Feb 27, 2013
Tons in computer village & co
Re: Most Stolen iPhones Are In Africa by Nobody: 5:12pm On Feb 27, 2013
Temismith: Eeeooow! So its possible dat i hav once bought a white person's stolen fone? God forgive me o. I wont do it again.
Hope you are not wearing a white person's undies as well.

1 Like

Re: Most Stolen iPhones Are In Africa by iamswizz(m): 5:16pm On Feb 27, 2013
Adanyebe:
Ghana
grin grin grin
Re: Most Stolen iPhones Are In Africa by drizzit(m): 5:17pm On Feb 27, 2013
The FCC is looking to sign more agreements with other countries, says FCC spokesman Neil Grace. Hopefully that will happen soon. It might be the only way to stop some guy on the streets of Lagos, Nigeria, from listening to your playlists, checking out your vacation pictures, or worse–stealing your identity.....now dis statement just goes a long way to show the booming market for used phones in nigeria aka computer village. At tha same time it sounds corny.....and racist. Why specifically refer to Lagos,Nigeria? Is there any relevant data showing how many used phones from the US and Europe get to Nigeria and Africa?

1 Like

Re: Most Stolen iPhones Are In Africa by babseg(m): 5:21pm On Feb 27, 2013
phone will now be very expensive
Re: Most Stolen iPhones Are In Africa by kpozite(m): 5:22pm On Feb 27, 2013
So this is the source of all those ''direct belgium'' and ''Uk used''. well very good, serves them right. After they will make it sound and seem as if it is only in Nigeria that there are criminals.
Re: Most Stolen iPhones Are In Africa by Nobody: 5:22pm On Feb 27, 2013
ebamma: Iphone is a name of a person, animal place or thing while Android is a word used instead of a noun
you no well i swear! e be like say you don drink too much kunu and alomo bitters mixed together this afternoon. grin
Re: Most Stolen iPhones Are In Africa by Nobody: 5:26pm On Feb 27, 2013
Oguagua88 phone comes to mind
Re: Most Stolen iPhones Are In Africa by Nobody: 5:26pm On Feb 27, 2013
Seriously I don't have any thing to coment. Can I get a like if u want to live long!!!

12 Likes

Re: Most Stolen iPhones Are In Africa by ghetomum: 5:29pm On Feb 27, 2013
[size=8pt][b]oyibo self dey do picking pocket
Re: Most Stolen iPhones Are In Africa by dasparrow: 5:29pm On Feb 27, 2013
Most of the stolen iPhones are in Africa? So bloody what?! Are our artifacts that they stole from us during slavery and the colonial era still not sitting pretty in their respective museums in europe and north america? Imagine kettle calling pot black! Mtshew!

11 Likes

Re: Most Stolen iPhones Are In Africa by bigfat05: 5:30pm On Feb 27, 2013
[size=15pt]To ‘jailbreak’ your iPhone means you are freeing it from the limitations imposed by Apple.Interested you can contact me [/size]. cool

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Blackberry Blacklisted : Please Read Before Buying Any Blackberry Phone / Whatsapp Would Like To Be Your New File Sharing Platform / How Do I Stop Text Messages From 4040 (glo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.