Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,582 members, 7,809,111 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:29 PM

Is It Ok To Drive With OD (over Drive) On Or Off? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is It Ok To Drive With OD (over Drive) On Or Off? (89449 Views)

Quick Meaning Of 'P','R','N','D','2','L' And 'OD' For Autogears / Is It Ok To Drive This Car As A Lady(photo)? / Is It Ok To Buy A Three Wheeler ('Keke Marwa')? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Ok To Drive With OD (over Drive) On Or Off? by kisibo: 10:17pm On Feb 27, 2013
pls mr siena and other pro ..i will like to know if its the best to drive with OD on / off .

1 Like

Re: Is It Ok To Drive With OD (over Drive) On Or Off? by Nobody: 6:07am On Feb 28, 2013
Best practice is that unless you're towing and/or the transmission is hunting gears just leave the transmission to do it's - gasp - automatic work.
Re: Is It Ok To Drive With OD (over Drive) On Or Off? by cardoctor(m): 7:32am On Feb 28, 2013
kisibo: pls mr siena and other pro ..i will like to know if its the best to drive with OD on / off .

No its not advisable to drive with O/D on because you will be restricting the auto transmission gearbox from reaching final drive. This otherwise means high engine rpm at speeds of over 60 kmph which in other words equate to high fuel consumption. I would only advice you to use this function when towing a caravan or trailer.
Re: Is It Ok To Drive With OD (over Drive) On Or Off? by emekan: 5:44pm On Feb 28, 2013
In my honest opi8nion, i think the reverse is the case. The overdrive should always be left on. The overdrive acts as an extra gear ratio, so it ultimately earns you savings on fuel. You could also look at it from this angle: Any light which comes on in your instrument cluster usually signals that there is a fault or the option chosen is not a default setting. In the toyotas circa 1999, the light on the instrument cluster says O/D OFF. This signifies that the default or should i say factory setting is to have the overdrive turned on at all times, the dash-light only coming on to alert the driver that the overdrive is turned off. Hope this helps.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Ok To Drive With OD (over Drive) On Or Off? by nnamokenna(m): 10:35pm On Feb 28, 2013
This is what my 2002 Toyota Camry's user manual (page 109) says "Always drive your vehicle with the overdrive
on for better fuel economy and quieter driving".

Needless to say that I always drive with the O/D on. I don't know about other cars though, so I think it's better you consult your car's manual.

4 Likes

Re: Is It Ok To Drive With OD (over Drive) On Or Off? by 9icetoo(m): 12:19pm On Mar 01, 2013
i think you should leave the o/d on when driving under normal conditions. when towing or carrying a heavy load and you need power rather than speed, you turn it off. That is my humble opinion though. The more knowledgeable peeps can correct me if i am wrong though.
grin

2 Likes

Re: Is It Ok To Drive With OD (over Drive) On Or Off? by kisibo: 1:33pm On Mar 01, 2013
Tx yall....still waiting 4 more suggestion ....mr siena abeg say sometin on dis .....
Re: Is It Ok To Drive With OD (over Drive) On Or Off? by Ikenna351(m): 4:09pm On Mar 01, 2013
kisibo: Tx yall....still waiting 4 more suggestion ....mr siena abeg say sometin on dis .....

That's very rude. Its more like "Only Siena's suggestion is acceptable to you". We have PM option, incase you want only his suggestion next time.

Ikenna.

8 Likes

Re: Is It Ok To Drive With OD (over Drive) On Or Off? by yungboss(m): 5:31pm On Mar 01, 2013
the first thing that came to my mind were the positives of the overdraft...for the camry that is designed with a 4-speed auto, the overdraft comes helpful.
My '93 bmw has a 5-speed auto, plus sports, winter and economy options. Sometimes i push the 's' button for quick gearing...
Re: Is It Ok To Drive With OD (over Drive) On Or Off? by kisibo: 6:07pm On Mar 01, 2013
Ikenna351:

That's very rude. Its more like "Only Siena's suggestion is acceptable to you". We have PM option, incase you want only his suggestion next time.

Ikenna.

bro no vexx all suggestion from yall pro ar welcome ...i still be learner...ok...i bw my coconut head in the presnce of u pro....tx

1 Like

Re: Is It Ok To Drive With OD (over Drive) On Or Off? by infolpf: 2:35pm On Mar 02, 2013
Ikenna351:

Ikenna.

Ikenna351, WADR, I don't think the OP intended to be rude or to seek only Sienna's opinion. He asked a question, and has received conflicting opinion's based on preference. He recognizes that there are certain experts in the house, and wants their expert best practice opinion. Others, such as myself, are probably thinking the same thing. I genuinely would like to know the answer to this question, and an answer from a known expert would bring closure for me!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Ok To Drive With OD (over Drive) On Or Off? by tkovie2002(m): 3:00am On Mar 03, 2013
Ikenna351:

Ikenna.

Hahaha I knew this day was c0ming. Well we all appreciate all y0ur pr0fessi0nal supp0rt. Please d0 n0t be 0ffended. I am sure he didn't mean it as y0u underst00d it. Qu0ting y0ur name and/0r siena's name 0n any t0pic al0ne is an0ther phrase f0r "help is needed fr0m all kn0wn experts".
Re: Is It Ok To Drive With OD (over Drive) On Or Off? by FlyboyZee: 10:37am On Mar 03, 2013
kisibo: ..i will like to know if its the best to drive with OD on / off .

Man! your thread has just helped me solve a puzzle.

I saw the "O/D OFF" indicator come on in my wife's Nissan Almera Tino and I was like whats even wrong with this car that came clean without one single issue barely a month ago. I never knew that she had somehow disengaged the Over Drive. I have actually been struggling to turn off the indicator (see mumu. LOL!!!), until I saw your thread this morning and went to check the car only to find out that she had disengaged the Over Drive. Thanks for starting this thread. I have really benefited from it. Thanks once again.

Now to your query,
I think its better to leave it in the engaged or ON mode (as it is in the Nissan Almera Tino) since that seems to be the default mode in the car but if otherwise, then turn it off. Your indicator or instrument cluster is not suppose to show anything by default while driving except there is a problem or you turn on some accessories.
#JustThinkingAloudAnyway#

3 Likes

Re: Is It Ok To Drive With OD (over Drive) On Or Off? by Ikenna351(m): 11:23am On Mar 03, 2013
tkovie2002:

Hahaha I knew this day was c0ming. Well we all appreciate all y0ur pr0fessi0nal supp0rt. Please d0 n0t be 0ffended. I am sure he didn't mean it as y0u underst00d it. Qu0ting y0ur name and/0r siena's name 0n any t0pic al0ne is an0ther phrase f0r "help is needed fr0m all kn0wn experts".
info@lpf:

Ikenna351, WADR, I don't think the OP intended to be rude or to seek only Sienna's opinion. He asked a question, and has received conflicting opinion's based on preference. He recognizes that there are certain experts in the house, and wants their expert best practice opinion. Others, such as myself, are probably thinking the same thing. I genuinely would like to know the answer to this question, and an answer from a known expert would bring closure for me!

@ info@lpf & tkovie2002,

No matter how you guys have tried to justify it, its still very wrong. And @ info@lpf, saying "an answer from a known expert would bring closure for me", still goes back to what i earlier said "Send your preferred expert a PM" and save other experts from wasting their time and knowledge in trying to help.

Two experts have already commented or made their suggestions. Some other person had also quoted his owners manual position on the topic.Is he now calling Siena to come and tell him that he should disregard what that owners manual position or for Siena to confirm to him what other 2 experts have said is correct or wrong before he could believe them or not? Sometimes, we make it sound as if everyone doesnt see a newly created topic. But we all choose to click on the topic, comment or not comment. I choose not to comment on the topic when it was first started, because i wasnt sure i knew the right answer to give. Likewise, another person that visits this section frequently must have seen it and past. Some would view and leave. This topic has 306 views, yet it has only 14 posts.

I usually modify such posts, naming experts for solutions. State your car issue or your questions and leave the floor open for anyone that knows something to make his or her suggestion. If you state my name, you are simply telling others "dont bother".

There are so many things i have learnt in Peugeot thread. Over there, there is nothing like an expert. We all share ideas on what we know about our lions or info that will help us in keeping our lions on the road and in good conditions.

Ikenna.

6 Likes

Re: Is It Ok To Drive With OD (over Drive) On Or Off? by FindOut(m): 2:33pm On Mar 03, 2013
I think Overdrive O/D should be on always. I believe it selects gears quicker, that is your engine won't rev to a very high rpm before selecting the next gear which i believe translates to better fuel economy. & the Toyota Camry 2002 manual I believe has settled the matter.

Another question we can also try to answer is when/why should O/D be turned off? In snow? Off road or what conditions?

1 Like

Re: Is It Ok To Drive With OD (over Drive) On Or Off? by kisibo: 12:01pm On Mar 06, 2013
tx yall..i appr8 ur commnt so far and i will leav it on all d tme ..dis site don helpd me in all aspect... i even got d car tru dis site and its workin now pefctly....tanx yall once again.
Re: Is It Ok To Drive With OD (over Drive) On Or Off? by bestinfo: 8:30pm On Mar 06, 2013
By definition, overdrive is a gear ratio less than 1:1. Which means the rpms of the outgoing shaft are higher than the rpms of the incoming shaft.

But it all comes down to is that the engine gets to run slower, therefore saving gas, when traveling at highway speeds.

Turning off the overdrive prevents the transmission from shifting into its top gear (usually forth) and will only go as high as third gear. The only reasons to turn off overdrive is when you are driving in hilly or mountainous terrain or are towing. The increased load of the tow and hills will make your transmission shift annoyingly in and out of overdrive to go up the hills or pull the tow load. So the button to turn overdrive off is there to stop this problem.

When traveling at highway speeds your car is normally in its top gear (forth is usually overdrive). When you stomp on the gas for acceleration, such as to pass, the transmission immediately shifts down to third gear to give you the speed boost you need. Overdrive can't produce that kind of acceleration.
Re: Is It Ok To Drive With OD (over Drive) On Or Off? by neejay1986(m): 9:51am On Jan 29, 2015
Kudos to the pro in the house. I'm seriously learning...appreciate you all.
Re: Is It Ok To Drive With OD (over Drive) On Or Off? by Azizi: 11:04am On Dec 30, 2015
So in other words, when it shows the "O/D OFF", it means it's ON, and when it doesn't show at all, means it OFF.... is that it?

[color=][/color]
nnamokenna:
This is what my 2002 Toyota Camry's user manual (page 109) says "Always drive your vehicle with the overdrive
on for better fuel economy and quieter driving".

Needless to say that I always drive with the O/D on. I don't know about other cars though, so I think it's better you consult your car's manual.
Re: Is It Ok To Drive With OD (over Drive) On Or Off? by Vicben(m): 9:42pm On Jan 06, 2016
Thanks to the OP of this thread, it's so helpful. My Corolla 2005 has this shifting pin besides the gear system, though it's usually turned on but I didn't know when it's to be used until now. cool
Re: Is It Ok To Drive With OD (over Drive) On Or Off? by davou4eva(m): 10:56am On Jan 07, 2016
Generally speaking, overdrive is the highest gear in the transmission. Overdrive allows the engine to operate at a lower RPM for a given road speed. This allows the vehicle to achieve better fuel efficiency, and often quieter operation on the highway.

When it is switched on, an automatic transmission can shift into overdrive mode after a certain speed is reached (usually 70+ km/h [40-45 mph or more] depending on the load). When it is off, the automatic transmission shifting is limited to the lower gears. Overdrive should usually be selected when the average speed is above 70 km/h (40-45 mph).
Re: Is It Ok To Drive With OD (over Drive) On Or Off? by lonelydora: 4:48am On Jan 08, 2016
Choi..... I have learnt something here today. Thus question has been bothering me for years now.
Re: Is It Ok To Drive With OD (over Drive) On Or Off? by kisibo: 5:57am On Jan 08, 2016
Vicben:
Thanks to the OP of this thread, it's so helpful. My Corolla 2005 has this shifting pin besides the gear system, though it's usually turned on but I didn't know when it's to be used until now. cool

u welcome my bro.
Re: Is It Ok To Drive With OD (over Drive) On Or Off? by kingreign(m): 6:38am On Jan 08, 2016
lonelydora:
Choi..... I have learnt something here today. Thus question has been bothering me for years now.
So you didnt read your car's owners manual? tongue
Re: Is It Ok To Drive With OD (over Drive) On Or Off? by lonelydora: 7:15am On Jan 08, 2016
kingreign:

So you didnt read your car's owners manual? tongue

It has never occured to me to check it.
Re: Is It Ok To Drive With OD (over Drive) On Or Off? by Kashif(m): 9:51am On Jan 08, 2016
Azizi:
So in other words, when it shows the "O/D OFF", it means it's ON, and when it doesn't show at all, means it OFF.... is that it?

[color=][/color]

Reverse is the case - 'O/D OFF' showing means its off.
Re: Is It Ok To Drive With OD (over Drive) On Or Off? by davou4eva(m): 11:37am On Jan 08, 2016
While going home yesterday from work, i tried to experiment with my car OD - 2008 Toyota Corolla. Due to the traffic situation i was only able to speed between 0-80km, so i decided to put off my OD and what i noticed was that my car pick up faster and change gear smoothly especially between gear 1 and 2 under low RPM. However, i don't want to reach a conclusion yet on this first trial.

I will try to do a further experiment tomorrow - Saturday - driving from Fagba to Island and intend to drive through 3rd Mainland bridge. I want to have the OD put OFF while am between 0-75km and put ON the OD once am exceeding 75km. I will update you of my finding(s).
Regards.
Re: Is It Ok To Drive With OD (over Drive) On Or Off? by Nobody: 11:01am On Jan 11, 2016
cardoctor:

No its not advisable to drive with O/D on because you will be restricting the auto transmission gearbox from reaching final drive. This otherwise means high engine rpm at speeds of over 60 kmph which in other words equate to high fuel consumption. I would only advice you to use this function when towing a caravan or trailer.
The overdrive should be left on for normal driving, it should be off for towing, consult your car manual.
Re: Is It Ok To Drive With OD (over Drive) On Or Off? by Machini(m): 8:52pm On Mar 22, 2016
davou4eva:
While going home yesterday from work, i tried to experiment with my car OD - 2008 Toyota Corolla. Due to the traffic situation i was only able to speed between 0-80km, so i decided to put off my OD and what i noticed was that my car pick up faster and change gear smoothly especially between gear 1 and 2 under low RPM. However, i don't want to reach a conclusion yet on this first trial.

I will try to do a further experiment tomorrow - Saturday - driving from Fagba to Island and intend to drive through 3rd Mainland bridge. I want to have the OD put OFF while am between 0-75km and put ON the OD once am exceeding 75km. I will update you of my finding(s).
Regards.

Bros how far nah? hope you made it
Re: Is It Ok To Drive With OD (over Drive) On Or Off? by davou4eva(m): 1:52pm On Mar 23, 2016
After all said and done, i think is better to leave the OD on. On is when the OD sign is not showing on your instrument panel and OFF when it is showing. However, i wouldn't know if this is applicable to all vehicle. Regards.

1 Like

Re: Is It Ok To Drive With OD (over Drive) On Or Off? by 9to5machinery: 7:53am On Jul 03, 2022
If you're like most drivers, you've probably come across the term "O/D off" while looking through your car's owner's manual. But what does it mean?

Simply put, O/D off is short for "overdrive off." Overdrive is a feature on many modern cars that allows the engine to run at a lower RPM than normal while cruising at high speeds. This results in better fuel economy and reduced engine noise.

However, there are times when you may want to turn off overdrive. For example, if you're towing a heavy load up a steep hill, you'll want the extra power that comes with a higher engine speed. Or, if you're driving in stop-and-go traffic, you may find that overdrive makes your car feel sluggish.

So, if you're ever unsure of when to use overdrive, just consult your car's owner's manual. And, as always, if you have any questions, feel free to ask your friendly neighborhood mechanic.

(1) (Reply)

Inside The Innoson Vehicle Manufacturing Plant As You Have Never Seen It Before / Advert Of Girl Eating Banana: Audi Apologises / [shocking] Two Mysterious Men On Ibadan Express

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.