Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,568 members, 7,809,072 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:24 PM

Life Is For Rent: What Will You Be Remembered For? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Life Is For Rent: What Will You Be Remembered For? (6910 Views)

What Would You Love To be Remembered For When You Kiss This World Good Bye !!! / What Shall You Be Remembered For As A Nairalander? / What Would You Want To Be Remembered For? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Life Is For Rent: What Will You Be Remembered For? by tomakint: 4:01pm On Mar 01, 2013
Indeed, “vanity upon vanity, all is vanity”, so says a popular saying. The Mafia Manager (a book), told me, “the world lives on pretense”! It must be noted that most times we humans place too much priority on what really matter less in life (material things) while that which is the real essence of life (our attitudes toward fellow human beings) are often neglected and most times not taken seriously!

My intention is to speak to all and at the same time speak to myself as I write and as you read along. One thing is very certain in this life we have all come to rent, and that is death! The question is, if you close your eyes in death today, what is that positive impact that you have made in the life of a fellow human being that you will be remembered for? Many place their “achievements” on the number of houses, cars, certificates, degrees, women, men, influences they ‘possess’ to themselves not minding how they ‘acquire’ those things they love to show-off at the slightest opportunities they have! It is common knowledge that we came into this world naked and it is very certain that we shall return naked, therefore those ‘material things’ (of course they are necessary) we love to brag about and the natural talents we possess would not matter anymore after our demise except the positive impacts we have used those ‘material things’ and natural talents to create. Life is transient, what we do to others matters most than what we possess for ourselves.

Two individuals came to mind as I write, they are:

1) Samantha Smith
2) Nkosi Johnson

Samantha Smith: was an American schoolgirl, peace activist and child actress from Manchester, Maine, who became famous in the Cold War era United States and Soviet Union. In 1982, Smith wrote a letter to the newly appointed CPSU General Secretary Yuri Andropov, and received a personal reply which included a personal invitation to visit the Soviet Union, which she accepted. (died at age 13)!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samantha_Smith

Nkosi Johnson: Nkosi was born to Nonthlanthla Daphne Nkosi in a township east of Johannesburg in 1989. He never knew his father. Nkosi was HIV-positive from birth, and was legally adopted by Gail Johnson, a Johannesburg Public Relations practitioner, when his own mother, debilitated by the disease, was no longer able to care for him. Nkosi made a powerful impact on public perceptions of the pandemic and its effects before his death at the age of 12. He was ranked fifth amongstSABC3's Great South Africans. At the time of his death, he was the longest-surviving HIV-positive born child. (died at age 12)!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nkosi_Johnson

These two children were “too small” to face challenges (as we would always say because of their ages) yet were able to surmount those challenges. One was segregated against, yet won many to his side through his works. One was maligned, yet radiates love. They were forgotten in death but remembered by providence and posterity. They were determined to change their world and those in it and that they did with unalloyed excellence. Above all, even though they were snatched away by the cold hand of death in their primes, yet were able to achieve what an octogenarian would struggle so hard to achieve. They are immortal in their deeds and in the hearts of those they have touched!
Moral of this article; let’s learn to give back to LIFE, that which will outlast LIFE!

10 Likes

Re: Life Is For Rent: What Will You Be Remembered For? by tomakint: 4:03pm On Mar 01, 2013
Samantha Smith

Re: Life Is For Rent: What Will You Be Remembered For? by tomakint: 4:03pm On Mar 01, 2013
Nkosi Johnson

Re: Life Is For Rent: What Will You Be Remembered For? by Johnnoah1st: 5:10pm On Mar 01, 2013
shai!!! if u say na just me i we be living like i don care, 1st to comment? but y always me? or am i a learner?
Re: Life Is For Rent: What Will You Be Remembered For? by Nobody: 5:11pm On Mar 01, 2013
Food for thought
Re: Life Is For Rent: What Will You Be Remembered For? by xynerise: 5:14pm On Mar 01, 2013
I watched a documentary about Nkosi Johnson some years back and I felt like crying.
Re: Life Is For Rent: What Will You Be Remembered For? by babarazy: 5:15pm On Mar 01, 2013
This space is ƒøЯ future use.
Re: Life Is For Rent: What Will You Be Remembered For? by babarazy: 5:17pm On Mar 01, 2013
Wat position am I?...... Critics re welcomed.
Re: Life Is For Rent: What Will You Be Remembered For? by beejay4all(m): 5:19pm On Mar 01, 2013
Uhhh Life indeed a rent dat is just a fact of life.
Re: Life Is For Rent: What Will You Be Remembered For? by Abali1(m): 5:25pm On Mar 01, 2013
I want to be remembered as the one who lived and educated/enlightened other people about SCD and why those that live with it should be loved and not pitied, and given a chance to prove themselves worthy.

1 Like

Re: Life Is For Rent: What Will You Be Remembered For? by amiskurie(m): 5:28pm On Mar 01, 2013
Life is like a fairytale!
I still find it difficult to believe I will eventually leave this life and rot in the grave.could God spare me frm dearth forever?
God pls I don't wannna die!

3 Likes

Re: Life Is For Rent: What Will You Be Remembered For? by blazingtrain: 5:33pm On Mar 01, 2013
Every good thing
Re: Life Is For Rent: What Will You Be Remembered For? by avalontony(m): 5:34pm On Mar 01, 2013
the christian community of ogoni land will never forget my NYSC year from march 2012 to feb 2013, the rural rugged evangelisms, school outreach, skill aquisition programms,.........sometimes i and my fellow jesus corpers will stand hours under the rain praying and distributing drugs n materials to people we have never met in ourlives, we go from community to community and spend days without taking our baths, sleeping in the open fields with just our nysc kahki n jesus corper shirt. no wonder when we where passing out....they where all in tears!!!! this is just the begining of greater things to be done..............

8 Likes

Re: Life Is For Rent: What Will You Be Remembered For? by yuzedo: 5:34pm On Mar 01, 2013
I will remmemmber for haveing Banana Iland Mansion and my great title Kasabubu 1 of Banana Iland, Ikoyi Legos, all prase to Allah & Obatala. cool
Re: Life Is For Rent: What Will You Be Remembered For? by tomakint: 5:35pm On Mar 01, 2013
I just want to be remembered as that guy that 'put smiles on the faces of many people as possible' before my time expires!
Re: Life Is For Rent: What Will You Be Remembered For? by koolet: 5:36pm On Mar 01, 2013
Hmmmn I gatz 2 hav babies ...itz part ov sumtin 2 b rememberd 4 ..Much wealth no child na "Banza" ..Meanwhile *runz off d thread 2 slam suzan direct contact* smiley

1 Like

Re: Life Is For Rent: What Will You Be Remembered For? by victorian(f): 5:37pm On Mar 01, 2013
I will be humbly remembered for Empowering millions of people with my God given talents.....Thank you Lord, so grateful for the privilege.. smiley

1 Like

Re: Life Is For Rent: What Will You Be Remembered For? by moneyhungry(m): 5:37pm On Mar 01, 2013
amiskurie: Life is like a fairytale!
I still find it difficult to believe I will eventually leave this life and rot in the grave.could God spare me frm dearth forever?
God pls I don't wannna die!
my sentiments, exactly.
Re: Life Is For Rent: What Will You Be Remembered For? by OkikiOluwa1(m): 5:39pm On Mar 01, 2013
That Nkosi Johnson's story is touching.
Ironically, "there's no specific way to live a life, just do what works well for yourself".
I want to be remembered for good.
Re: Life Is For Rent: What Will You Be Remembered For? by moneyhungry(m): 5:39pm On Mar 01, 2013
avalontony: the christian community of ogoni land will never forget my NYSC year from march 2012 to feb 2013, the rural rugged evangelisms, school outreach, skill aquisition programms,.........sometimes i and my fellow jesus corpers will stand hours under the rain praying and distributing drugs n materials to people we have never met in ourlives, we go from community to community and spend days without taking our baths, sleeping in the open fields with just our nysc kahki n jesus corper shirt. no wonder when we where passing out....they where all in tears!!!! this is just the begining of greater things to be done..............
u mean am?
Abeg tell me more ...
Re: Life Is For Rent: What Will You Be Remembered For? by otokx(m): 5:40pm On Mar 01, 2013
nice inspiring stuff
Re: Life Is For Rent: What Will You Be Remembered For? by Scarpon(m): 5:40pm On Mar 01, 2013
funniest man's alive who ever lived Round me always like to be around cuz of my funny ways
Re: Life Is For Rent: What Will You Be Remembered For? by tomakint: 5:41pm On Mar 01, 2013
victorian: I will be humbly remembered for Empowering millions of people with my God given talents.....Thank you Lord, so grateful for the privilege.. smiley

kiss kiss kiss Good Job, you will not lose your reward!
Re: Life Is For Rent: What Will You Be Remembered For? by Encoredme(m): 5:42pm On Mar 01, 2013
It's not the number of years that counts, but the amount of impact that is made. By the time you die, will you leave the earth better than you met it#FoodForThought
Re: Life Is For Rent: What Will You Be Remembered For? by Adamsdelrio(m): 5:46pm On Mar 01, 2013
I'm sure if these kids were alive as nairalanders 2day, they would have better things to do than announcing to other nairalanders that they are the 1st to comment because 1st to comment would take them nowhere... I pray the adults that behave like kids grow up. Amen
Re: Life Is For Rent: What Will You Be Remembered For? by Onlinebiz2012: 5:49pm On Mar 01, 2013
Re: Life Is For Rent: What Will You Be Remembered For? by Onlinebiz2012: 5:52pm On Mar 01, 2013
[img]http://www.learnweek.com/?r=casey001[/img] i don't know
Re: Life Is For Rent: What Will You Be Remembered For? by naylove(m): 5:52pm On Mar 01, 2013
Abali1: I want to be remembered as the one who lived and educated/enlightened other people about SCD and why those that live with it should be loved and not pitied, and given a chance to prove themselves worthy.

what useless education could u possible be giving them / what the eff is SCD
Re: Life Is For Rent: What Will You Be Remembered For? by tomakint: 6:08pm On Mar 01, 2013
Okiki_Oluwa: That Nkosi Johnson's story is touching.
Ironically, "there's no specific way to live a life, just do what works well for yourself".
I want to be remembered for good.
I have to agree with you, but your signature column is comical to say the least cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Life Is For Rent: What Will You Be Remembered For? by OkikiOluwa1(m): 6:13pm On Mar 01, 2013
tomakint:
I have to agree with you, but your signature column is comical to say the least cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
u mean dz present one talking abt a mod?
tomakint:
Yeah grin grin grin grin
ow k. Dat chick banned me cos of Tonto Dike! Just cos of common Toto Decay!
Nairaland's FP don suffer.
Re: Life Is For Rent: What Will You Be Remembered For? by tomakint: 6:15pm On Mar 01, 2013
Okiki_Oluwa: u mean dz present one talking abt a mod?
Yeah grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Origin Of The Facebook 10 Years Challenge / Bombshell ! Girl Of 18 Slept With Over 50 Men ! / How To Recharge Phone From Your Bank Account. (all Banks)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.