Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,559 members, 7,770,444 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 10:44 AM

Jude - No Artist Signing Till P-square Stop Singing - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Jude - No Artist Signing Till P-square Stop Singing (15423 Views)

Should Dbanj Stop Singing? / Why I Decided To Stop Singing Songs Which Make No Sense-d' Prince / Nigerian Police Warns Tonto Dikeh To Stop Singing & Face Acting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jude - No Artist Signing Till P-square Stop Singing by Nobody: 6:19pm On Mar 01, 2013
This is what Jude Okoye said in a recent interview with HipHop World Magazine.

Keep in mind sometime in August last year, Square Records had dumped May D who had released few hit tracks under the label including ‘Ile Ijo’, ‘Soundtrack’, and the remix he did with Akon and P-Square.

According to the statement signed by Jude, the split was due to the irreconcilable differences between the two parties. And the dumping had come as a surprise to MayD.

Here's in full, what Jude said and why he says he ain't signing anyone else.

I don’t know about Peter and Paul but me personally I won’t sign any artiste until P-Square stops singing, that is the same thing I said when you asked me why I’m not shooting videos for other artistes, everyone that comes under this umbrella will start comparing.

Let me give you an example, one of the issues we face is that, when you bring in an upcoming artiste who has not being invited to even play just one show and you’ve spent like 15million on that artiste without even signing like you said and the person wakes up to say he wants to have the car P-Square is driving, the house P-Square is living in, then you’ll wonder like wait a minute, even if I have all these things and I give him, am I motivating him? Am I giving him things that’ll make him hustle hard? If he has everything he wants will he still struggle?

So that’s one of the reasons I don’t want to, it’s kind of a human nature thing, once the person comes he’ll start asking ‘no be the same song dem dey sing I dey sing too? ‘The person won’t ask how long it took these guys to get this far and what it took to achieve all these things? The person will just be like ‘check level now, I shouldn’t be roaming on the street, I should be maintaining, driving the same car and having big things’.

That’s the reason why in managerial aspect and even shooting videos, people will definitely want to compare, so because of that I made up my mind that I’m better off on my own. Giving you a car and a house is not the issue but when you don’t have anything now and you are demanding for these things, I don’t think if you have 1 million, I’ll be able to talk to you.

http://www.lailasblog.com/2013/03/i-wont-sign-any-artiste-until-p-square.html

5 Likes

Re: Jude - No Artist Signing Till P-square Stop Singing by Lushka(m): 6:33pm On Mar 01, 2013
This sounds selfish. So because our forefathers lived crude lifestyles, we should live same way. My man wake up. Leave some legacies in your youthful age.

8 Likes

Re: Jude - No Artist Signing Till P-square Stop Singing by dopeJemi: 6:50pm On Mar 01, 2013

dis Dude shud shut dah phuck up abeg.. Hu cares? Put square Records and EME records on d tabLe and see if peopLe won't jump 2 EME

#scaredMuch

3 Likes

Re: Jude - No Artist Signing Till P-square Stop Singing by Nobody: 9:34pm On Mar 01, 2013
Jude doesnt sound intelligent here, no offense, in 21st Century, one dont have to go through time-tested stress to become rich, certain rules if followed can catapult a new artist into hundreds of millions. Jude lacks managerial acumen to grow beyond where he is.

16 Likes

Re: Jude - No Artist Signing Till P-square Stop Singing by free2ryhme: 10:19pm On Mar 01, 2013
ok ooooo
Re: Jude - No Artist Signing Till P-square Stop Singing by Nobody: 11:23pm On Mar 01, 2013
I understand the point he is trying to make; we have seen too many examples - with Wizkid being the most recent. You'd take a nobody off the gutter and shepherd him to the limelight, only for him to start getting delusions of grandeur no sooner than he gets the first shot. What's wrong in crawling before you walk, and stooping to conquer? I like May D a lot, but that wouldn't blur my perspective as far as the matter goes.

No businessman (which is what Jude is) is interested in wasting time and money to make someone else prosper without getting anything in return. If I'm gonna 'discover' a rough diamond, and invest my resources in polishing that rough diamond and showcasing it to the world, it is only because I expect to gain 100-fold. It's business, not altruism. How ridiculous is it for a newly discovered artist to be demanding for a car and house even before releasing an album (which means that his record label boss has not even started recouping his investment, let alone making profit)?

35 Likes

Re: Jude - No Artist Signing Till P-square Stop Singing by Nobody: 11:33pm On Mar 01, 2013
pro01: I understand the point he is trying to make; we have seen too many examples - with Wizkid being the most recent. You'd take a nobody off the gutter and shepherd him to the limelight, only for him to start getting delusions of grandeur no sooner than he gets the first shot. What's wrong in crawling before you walk, and stooping to conquer? I like May D a lot, but that wouldn't blur my perspective as far as the matter goes.

No businessman (which is what Jude is) is interested in wasting time and money to make someone else prosper without getting anything in return. If I'm gonna 'discover' a rough diamond, and invest my resources in polishing that rough diamond and showcasing it to the world, it is only because I expect to gain 100-fold. It's business, not altruism. How ridiculous is it for a newly discovered artist to be demanding for a car and house even before releasing an album (which means that his record label boss has not even started recouping his investment, let alone making profit)?
You are sentimental, business has no rooms for emotions. When you sign an artist, you have agreement structured out in your favor with expectations demanded from the parties, if you chose not to buy a car, then it has to be structured, I think Jude is just afraid that some artist will come and expose the incompetence of the Squared Ps and ride on their inadequacies to overide them. Jude is afraid cos he knows PSquares are incompetent of withstanding May-D quick rise. Lets call this spade a spade.

10 Likes

Re: Jude - No Artist Signing Till P-square Stop Singing by Nobody: 11:57pm On Mar 01, 2013
Billyonaire: You are sentimental, business has no rooms for emotions. When you sign an artist, you have agreement structured out in your favor with expectations demanded from the parties, if you chose not to buy a car, then it has to be structured, I think Jude is just afraid that some artist will come and expose the incompetence of the Squared Ps and ride on their inadequacies to overide them. Jude is afraid cos he knows PSquares are incompetent of withstanding May-D quick rise. Lets call this spade a spade.

I have no idea what you're talking about. How am I "sentimental"? About who or what? If anything, I probably like May D more, but my affinities hardly blur my objectivity.

In fact, you are being sentimental and subjective - as is clear in your sweeping statements. How can you say P Square is "incompetent"? Incompetent as defined by you or by the millions of Nigerians/Africans that enjoy their music and buy their records and concert tickets? They are arguably the biggest artistes in Nigeria, and yet you unilaterally declare that Jude's concern is that a random new artiste would "expose their inadequacies"? I don't want to make it seem like I am defending these dudes 'cos I find them quite annoying at times. However, the truth has to be said. I empathise with Jude on this one.

25 Likes

Re: Jude - No Artist Signing Till P-square Stop Singing by Nobody: 12:25am On Mar 02, 2013
pro01:

I have no idea what you're talking about. How am I "sentimental"? About who or what? If anything, I probably like May D more, but my affinities hardly blur my objectivity.

In fact, you are being sentimental and subjective - as is clear in your sweeping statements. How can you say P Square is "incompetent"? Incompetent as defined by you or by the millions of Nigerians/Africans that enjoy their music and buy their records and concert tickets? They are arguably the biggest artistes in Nigeria, and yet you unilaterally declare that Jude's concern is that a random new artiste would "expose their inadequacies"? I don't want to make it seem like I am defending these dudes 'cos I find them quite annoying at times. However, the truth has to be said. I empathise with Jude on this one.
You cant mean what you just said. Empathize with Jude ? In which planet aside Jude's that it becomes benevolence to provide a talent with basic needs like mobility ? In what planet will any manager believe he is doing an artist a favor by providing an accommodation ? Before any professional talent groomer signs an artist, there is something about that talent that makes the manager go all the way to sign him so he has to keep to his end of the bargain while the artist keeps his end too. When agreement is structured, we take cognizance of the fact that the talent has potentials. Why do managers always believe that they are the ones that make the artists succeed when in actual sense they saw that spark in the new artist before venturing into the partnership. I maintain that there is something about MayD that threatened Jude's Conglomerate from keeping him, it is still that fear of exposure of incompetence that Jude dreads. I still opine that no good manager takes a stand against getting new artist simply because he does not want the new talents to rise without struggles. I dont believe in too much struggles but I do believe in talents and skills, a man doesnt need to walk and run before he can fly in 21st Century. Thanks

19 Likes

Re: Jude - No Artist Signing Till P-square Stop Singing by buoye1(m): 2:47pm On Mar 04, 2013
Good 4 dem
Re: Jude - No Artist Signing Till P-square Stop Singing by Nobody: 2:48pm On Mar 04, 2013
Billyonaire: You cant mean what you just said. Empathize with Jude ? In which planet aside Jude's that it becomes benevolence to provide a talent with basic needs like mobility ? In what planet will any manager believe he is doing an artist a favor by providing an accommodation ? Before any professional talent groomer signs an artist, there is something about that talent that makes the manager go all the way to sign him so he has to keep to his end of the bargain while the artist keeps his end too. When agreement is structured, we take cognizance of the fact that the talent has potentials. Why do managers always believe that they are the ones that make the artists succeed when in actual sense they saw that spark in the new artist before venturing into the partnership. I maintain that there is something about MayD that threatened Jude's Conglomerate from keeping him, it is still that fear of exposure of incompetence that Jude dreads. I still opine that no good manager takes a stand against getting new artist simply because he does not want the new talents to rise without struggles. I dont believe in too much struggles but I do believe in talents and skills, a man doesnt need to walk and run before he can fly in 21st Century. Thanks
+100 likes

End of discussion.

7 Likes

Re: Jude - No Artist Signing Till P-square Stop Singing by Irritant: 2:57pm On Mar 04, 2013
This is surely a mugu talk by jude okoye,stupidity in its highest order,Mtweeeeeew Obote ma ;Dn
Re: Jude - No Artist Signing Till P-square Stop Singing by efosanice: 2:58pm On Mar 04, 2013
by the time psquare stops singing, square records would be history,you can then take all your money and shove it then, go and see kennis music now, the so called owners are hustling for judging slots on singing reality shows. This is the typical mentality of the black man and it is so sad, that is why no predominantly black country is developed.

If you pick an artiste you sign them, there are certain amount to be put into production and there is a certain percentage the artist gets from all income he makes for the label, why is it that the artiste has to start asking for car and house and then it is the duty of one man to decide if he has suffered enough, he is not an apprentice , he is an artist and the sole reason why p square own their own record is so that they would not be working for another, so if you are going to sign someone, there should be a standard contract. Usher co-signed justin bieber and justin bieber makes much more money than usher makes now, same with akon and lady gaga,why would you sign somebody and put the person behind you in line, let his star shine as much as it can shine and you would get your cut in managerial and recording benefits. I hope this statement would be used against this man anytime he ventures into public office.

I am also not surprised that some people here would be supporting him,because they are obviously from the master-apprentice mentality

21 Likes

Re: Jude - No Artist Signing Till P-square Stop Singing by Nobody: 2:59pm On Mar 04, 2013
Jude is not good in making speeches, I understand the point he is trying to make but to drive home the point is hard for him. So abeg people dont misunderstand the nigga

2 Likes

Re: Jude - No Artist Signing Till P-square Stop Singing by omo9ja1(m): 3:08pm On Mar 04, 2013
shut up my friend because you manage to have some some change you are forming,

on a serious note this guy is selfish, what are you giving back or you think every Nigerian is greedy? there are good people and back people do your best and leave the rest, how would it sound if someone like become more famous than P Square under your management and they point at you

common wake up man

1 Like

Re: Jude - No Artist Signing Till P-square Stop Singing by TableLeg(m): 3:10pm On Mar 04, 2013
Jude Okoye i think you are a fu...cking dimwit!
Re: Jude - No Artist Signing Till P-square Stop Singing by Jadela(m): 3:10pm On Mar 04, 2013
I'm enjoying these arguments...
Re: Jude - No Artist Signing Till P-square Stop Singing by Nobody: 3:13pm On Mar 04, 2013
efosanice: by the time psquare stops singing, square records would be history,you can then take all your money and shove it then, go and see kennis music now, the so called owners are hustling for judging slots on singing reality shows. This is the typical mentality of the black man and it is so sad, that is why no predominantly black country is developed.

If you pick an artiste you sign them, there are certain amount to be put into production and there is a certain percentage the artist gets from all income he makes for the label, why is it that the artiste has to start asking for car and house and then it is the duty of one man to decide if he has suffered enough, he is not an apprentice , he is an artist and the sole reason why p square own their own record is so that they would not be working for another, so if you are going to sign someone, there should be a standard contract. Usher co-signed justin bieber and justin bieber makes much more money than usher makes now, same with akon and lady gaga,why would you sign somebody and put the person behind you in line, let his star shine as much as it can shine and you would get your cut in managerial and recording benefits. I hope this statement would be used against this man anytime he ventures into public office.

I am also not surprised that some people here would be supporting him,because they are obviously from the master-apprentice mentality
I agree totally with u.

3 Likes

Re: Jude - No Artist Signing Till P-square Stop Singing by Jakeattah(m): 3:14pm On Mar 04, 2013
One of the joy of managing a record label is the ability to groom a talented person into stardom. Its only fair for an artist to desire growth when he sees he is attaining higher status. The label gains a lot of income from d artist and in turn keeps promoting him. You don't expect someone to just remain below you forever simply because you groomed the person. Try and imagine where tuface would be if he is still under kennis, would he have reached this high?
Re: Jude - No Artist Signing Till P-square Stop Singing by acidtalk: 3:17pm On Mar 04, 2013
Don't blame jude. He is an Igbo man.
It takes an Igbo man an average of between 5-14years to be an apprentice before he finally gets freed by his boss. So Jude watching MayD get freedom and start living the luxurious lifestyle is unimaginable to him.

Jokes aside, I totally agree with Jude 1,000,001% on this. I have investments and run businesses in the Entertainment Industry and I will tell you, every son of Adam should be allowed to hustle his as*s out to make a name for himself. If he can't afford Studio time then he should go wash dishes at the upscale Hotels or be a company driver to pay his Studio time at the end of the day. That way he will appreciate success when it finally comes and not the overnight breakthrough this artiste gets that now makes them have the guts to spit in the faces of those that brought them out of gutter.

See the likes of 2face, Timaya, Femi Kuti, Psquare, Ruggedman and a few others, this guys worked really hard to attain success and breakthrough and yet they are still keeping it real. They know the work that went into their struggle so they won't just look down on anybody or spit in the face of someone who footed their bills to be famous. Even if they part ways with their managers, producers or marketers, they do it in a very mature way which is not likely to cause fracas.

Look at the likes of 9ice, Wizkid, Dbanj and all these other boys who feel because they have gotten to a level, they can now start looking down on everyone. I recently advise my friend who is a great act (not musician) but dwelled into music to have a rethink and draft out solid agreement on one boy he has currently spent up to N2million on and wants to drag me into their agreement.
Every man should hustle hard if you wants to succeed.
An average Human being is an ingrate by nature

8 Likes

Re: Jude - No Artist Signing Till P-square Stop Singing by samuelkanu: 3:21pm On Mar 04, 2013
The main point that Jude is making is just lack of trust from all upcoming artistes who are all bent on to 'hammer" from their music as quickly as possible and not caring the investments on their head. There is no more loyalty in the game and everybody has an ulterior motive and game plan.

2 Likes

Re: Jude - No Artist Signing Till P-square Stop Singing by Fynist(m): 3:21pm On Mar 04, 2013
Mr Jude. You are scared of May-D vocal dexterity and Popularity in so little time. You are scared, this guy owned most of the Hit singles on your Brothers Album(latest). You are just SCARED
Re: Jude - No Artist Signing Till P-square Stop Singing by Donnas: 4:14pm On Mar 04, 2013
Jude saying such a thing doesn't make you a philantropist at all, you need to help upcoming artist.
Re: Jude - No Artist Signing Till P-square Stop Singing by dakunj1(m): 4:15pm On Mar 04, 2013
efosanice: by the time psquare stops singing, square records would be history,you can then take all your money and shove it then, go and see kennis music now, the so called owners are hustling for judging slots on singing reality shows. This is the typical mentality of the black man and it is so sad, that is why no predominantly black country is developed.

...sooo on point

1 Like

Re: Jude - No Artist Signing Till P-square Stop Singing by Nobody: 4:26pm On Mar 04, 2013
FlirtyKaren:

I don’t know about Peter and Paul but me personally I won’t sign any artiste until P-Square stops singing, that is the same thing I said when you asked me why I’m not shooting videos for other artistes, everyone that comes under this umbrella will start comparing.

Let me give you an example, one of the issues we face is that, when you bring in an upcoming artiste who has not being invited to even play just one show and you’ve spent like 15million on that artiste without even signing like you said and the person wakes up to say he wants to have the car P-Square is driving, the house P-Square is living in, then you’ll wonder like wait a minute, even if I have all these things and I give him, am I motivating him? Am I giving him things that’ll make him hustle hard? If he has everything he wants will he still struggle?

So that’s one of the reasons I don’t want to, it’s kind of a human nature thing, once the person comes he’ll start asking ‘no be the same song dem dey sing I dey sing too? ‘The person won’t ask how long it took these guys to get this far and what it took to achieve all these things? The person will just be like ‘check level now, I shouldn’t be roaming on the street, I should be maintaining, driving the same car and having big things’.

That’s the reason why in managerial aspect and even shooting videos, people will definitely want to compare, so because of that I made up my mind that I’m better off on my own. Giving you a car and a house is not the issue but when you don’t have anything now and you are demanding for these things, I don’t think if you have 1 million, I’ll be able to talk to you.

http://www.lailasblog.com/2013/03/i-wont-sign-any-artiste-until-p-square.html

@ Billionaire

You seem to miss Jude's point and what pro01 is saying.

Mr Jude has no problem with providing the upcoming artiste with accommodation and mobility. His issue is the comparisons.

No matter how shiny you are as a rough diamond. You're still a rough diamond and will require TONS of polishing and resources to light you up. Even at that, investing on you is still a very risky GAMBLE. Popularity and acceptance in the music industry is not something you can easily predict like the price of cement.

Talent is a dime a dozen. There are several millions of people with talent. What is scarce is resources (not just money). Come to the beach here in Ghana and you will see many Hungry Rastafarians who will give Bob Marley & Lucky Dube a run for their money. With superior management and clever branding/marketing, very lousy artistes can gain massive popularity and market acceptance. Just turn on the radio, loads of popular CRAP out there.

Furthermore, saying that PSquare is 'incompetent' is rather too far off-tangent and I want to believe you are honestly joking.

Finally, imagine some random new artiste telling Jay Z she wants the same posh treatment as Rihanna. Some things are EARNED Man. EARNED.

22 Likes

Re: Jude - No Artist Signing Till P-square Stop Singing by causewahala: 4:27pm On Mar 04, 2013
@ topic:

Business acumen: ZERO
Management skills: -ve co-efficient

If all producers/managers were to adopt this attitude towards any up-coming artiste, how many acts would we have right now?. . . . Zero?! . . . Quite right!

Its human nature to want to get to the next level, even when they've not earned it. . . why the Bleep is he a manager if he can't manage tantrums of artistes? undecided

2 Likes

Re: Jude - No Artist Signing Till P-square Stop Singing by Ejine(m): 4:29pm On Mar 04, 2013
That's very sad.
Re: Jude - No Artist Signing Till P-square Stop Singing by Posman(m): 4:32pm On Mar 04, 2013
I see reason wif Jude... most of u hav already mentioned most of d things i wanna say... but y will some of u be sayin hes scared if mayd's talent? y would he? i dnt get. mayd is a good artist, but without an album? y would he b askin for a car or house even major artists these day acquired their cars afta albums, by themselves dat hustle! if mayd ws given all he askd for, whr will d motivation to improve. yes, mayd helpd in psquare's album, so did wande coal in dbanj's rundown album, but did wande start askin for cars and money? no! he hustled and brot out a MASSIVE album (m2m) and frm thr he ws abke to get all he wanted includin endorsmnts... if as a music producer, u dnt give me an album dat sold out, u hav no bizness askin me for cars and house. at least if he gives a great album, wat will it cost him to give him a car or house as appreciation gift? abeg, mayd shld go and hustle jare. even omo baba olowo sef release album despite havin all d money he needed. idi ise eni lati n mo eni lole < yoruba adage.

6 Likes

Re: Jude - No Artist Signing Till P-square Stop Singing by Posman(m): 4:33pm On Mar 04, 2013
I see reason wif Jude... most of u hav already mentioned most of d things i wanna say... but y will some of u be sayin hes scared if mayd's talent? y would he? i dnt get. mayd is a good artist, but without an album? y would he b askin for a car or house even major artists these day acquired their cars afta albums, by themselves dat hustle! if mayd ws given all he askd for, whr will d motivation to improve. yes, mayd helpd in psquare's album, so did wande coal in dbanj's rundown album, but did wande start askin for cars and money? no! he hustled and brot out a MASSIVE album (m2m) and frm thr he ws abke to get all he wanted includin endorsmnts... if as a music producer, u dnt give me an album dat sold out, u hav no bizness askin me for cars and house. at least if he gives a great album, wat will it cost him to give him a car or house as appreciation gift? abeg, mayd shld go and hustle jare. even omo baba olowo sef release album despite havin all d money he needed. idi ise eni lati n mo eni lole < yoruba adage.

1 Like

Re: Jude - No Artist Signing Till P-square Stop Singing by Akaraiwe(m): 4:35pm On Mar 04, 2013
Na Jude get him money,na him get him choice. May-D get talent true true,but why don't one of you sign him?!

10 Likes

Re: Jude - No Artist Signing Till P-square Stop Singing by donilalasky: 4:37pm On Mar 04, 2013
I'm sure if Peter n Paul, weren't his brothers, he would have gone on to sign as many artistes. He's afraid of others outshinning his brothers under his own label. Smacks of selfishness n lack of confidence. My opinion though.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Angela Okorie: Any woman that disrespects father of her child does not know God / “i’m The Alaafin Of Agege”- Small Doctor Wows In Corporate Outfit (photos) / Lil Wayne Or Christiano Ronaldo.. Who Is Richer?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.