Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,000 members, 7,806,917 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:52 AM

Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church - Religion (27) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church (48205 Views)

"Stop Giving Offerings In Redeemed Churches If....." - Pastor Adeboye / Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles / Tithes And Offerings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church by Nobody: 9:53pm On Jun 06, 2013
Zikkyy:

The Levites did not have authority to collect, otherwise they would have demanded it be paid. Read Nehemiah, they would return to the farm anytime the Israelite defaults.
grin grin O yes they did.It is not their fault if isreal disobeyed God's law just like some folks do these days.

Change in priesthood necessitated the change in ownership Where is this from? which bible you dey read? Jesus collected the properties of the Levites That's so carnal of you :
i was just making an analogy from the change of Aaronic priesthood to Christ according to heb 7. sorry if it sounded carnal to you.
Re: Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church by shdemidemi(m): 10:02pm On Jun 06, 2013
Bidam: grin are you the High PRIEST?

Is your finger you? I am part of Christ, the head needs every part of the body to function properly.
Re: Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church by Zikkyy(m): 10:08pm On Jun 06, 2013
Bidam: grin see me see wahala. Are you not the one talking about list? is it a crime for you to show me?

You can list the mosaic law, but cannot do same for love. That's where the more is coming from. The moral aspect of the mosaic law was an extract from the complete law (love). That should tell you the mosaic law is not complete.
Re: Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church by Zikkyy(m): 10:15pm On Jun 06, 2013
Bidam:
i was just making an analogy from the change of Aaronic priesthood to Christ according to heb 7. sorry if it sounded carnal to you.

You are not getting it. Tithe by inheritance was not just for being in the priestly office, it was for belonging to a particular tribe. Even if you never get to serve in the temple, you are still entitled to collect tithe.
Re: Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church by Nobody: 10:33pm On Jun 06, 2013
shdemidemi:

Is your finger you? I am part of Christ, the head needs every part of the body to function properly.
You don't get the import of my meaning..anyway forget it.
Re: Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church by Nobody: 10:36pm On Jun 06, 2013
Zikkyy:

You can list the mosaic law, but cannot do same for love. That's where the more is coming from. The moral aspect of the mosaic law was an extract from the complete law (love). That should tell you the mosaic law is not complete.
Agreed love encompasses all and that is why i don't view tithe as being legalistic from the scriptural perspective sha.
Re: Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church by Nobody: 10:38pm On Jun 06, 2013
Zikkyy:

You are not getting it. Tithe by inheritance was not just for being in the priestly office, it was for belonging to a particular tribe. Even if you never get to serve in the temple, you are still entitled to collect tithe.
I know about the levites.You forgot to mention that they also pay tithes. To whom do they pay tithes to?
Re: Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church by shdemidemi(m): 10:45pm On Jun 06, 2013
Bidam: I know about the levites.You forgot to mention that they also pay tithes. To whom do they pay tithes to?
educate me Please, Aaron paid tithe?
Re: Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church by Nobody: 10:56pm On Jun 06, 2013
shdemidemi:
educate me Please, Aaron paid tithe?
Heb 7:9
Re: Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church by shdemidemi(m): 11:07pm On Jun 06, 2013
Bidam: Heb 7:9

You are the biggest olodo ever as regards scriptures though. grin

Even Levi, who receives tithes, paid tithes through Abraham, so to speak, 10 for he was still in the loins of his father when Melchizedek met him.

The verse is saying before Jacob (Israel) was born. Why are you doing this na
Re: Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church by Nobody: 11:47pm On Jun 06, 2013
shdemidemi:

You are the biggest olodo ever as regards scriptures though. grin

Even Levi, who receives tithes, paid tithes through Abraham, so to speak, 10 for he was still in the loins of his father when Melchizedek met him.

Thanks for your insult hope you sleep well though. am waiting for zikky to actually reply me. He knows the scriptures better than you. bye.
Re: Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church by Nobody: 12:22am On Jun 07, 2013
shdemidemi:

Sorry to edit out the insult. we are all here to learn just like you said in other threads and not to throw childish tantrums and insults to each other.My point is levites paid tithes whether through Abraham as that scripture portrays doesn't matter and zikky knows that very well because it has well been discussed in this forum. Since this is an anonymous forum and you don't know me it might do you some good to desist from your insults please cos i don't subscribe to such. In order to help you in your ignorance i decided to quote another scripture from the OT. check Numbers 18 :28. pls do make a research before exposing your ignorance on a world wide web thanks.
Re: Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church by brilapluz(m): 12:35am On Jun 07, 2013
shdemidemi:

You lack understanding, Christ called you and me a dog there, it has nothing to do with what the gospel or good nws of Christ is. I repeat, what is the good news of Christ?
Re: Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church by brilapluz(m): 12:35am On Jun 07, 2013
shdemidemi:

You lack understanding, Christ called you and me a dog there, it has nothing to do with what the gospel or good nws of Christ is. I repeat, what is the good news of Christ?
Very Gud question!
Re: Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church by shdemidemi(m): 12:53am On Jun 07, 2013
Bidam: Sorry to edit out the insult. we are all here to learn just like you said in other threads and not to throw childish tantrums and insults to each other.My point is levites paid tithes whether through Abraham as that scripture portrays doesn't matter and zikky knows that very well because it has well been discussed in this forum. Since this is an anonymous forum and you don't know me it might do you some good to desist from your insults please cos i don't subscribe to such. In order to help you in your ignorance i decided to quote another scripture from the OT. check Numbers 18 :28. pls do make a research before exposing your ignorance on a world wide web thanks.

Mr man, I am sorry about the insult, but something's you say especially in this issue of tithing calls for insult.
As for the Levites, the 10 % they pay from the tithe of Israelite is not recorded as a tithe but as a heave offering.
Re: Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church by Nobody: 5:44am On Jun 07, 2013
shdemidemi:

Mr man, I am sorry about the insult, but something's you say especially in this issue of tithing calls for insult.
As for the Levites, the 10 % they pay from the tithe of Israelite is not recorded as a tithe but as a heave offering.
lemme quote the ESV rendition which you love to quote in this forum so you will understand better and stop this your moronic approach towards scriptures.

Numbers 18:26-28

English Standard Version (ESV)

26 “Moreover, you shall speak and say to the Levites, ‘When you take from the people of Israel the tithe that I have given you from them for your inheritance, then you shall present a contribution from it to the Lord, a tithe of the tithe. 27 And your contribution shall be counted to you as though it were the grain of the threshing floor, and as the fullness of the winepress. 28 So you shall also present[b] a contribution to the Lord from all your tithes[/b], which you receive from the people of Israel. And from it you shall give the Lord's contribution to Aaron the priest.

They were majorly an agrarian society those days so what God meant was actually tithe not heave offering..try do the research ok?
Re: Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church by Zikkyy(m): 8:01am On Jun 07, 2013
Bidam:
grin grin O yes they did.It is not their fault if isreal disobeyed God's law just like some folks do these days.

The above is enough proof that the Levites don't have authority.

Definition of Authority:

The power or right to give orders, make decisions, and enforce obedience: e.g. "he had absolute authority over his subordinates".

The Levites don't have authority to collect tithe otherwise they squeeze it out of their brother Israelite.
Re: Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church by Zikkyy(m): 8:13am On Jun 07, 2013
Bidam:
Agreed love encompasses all and that is why i don't view tithe as being legalistic from the scriptural perspective sha.

Your tithing paying 10% of your income to your pastor becomes legalistic when you attempt to link it to God's command for the Isrealite to tithe their agric produce.

It is not legalistic if the giving was of your own volition and not because you are responding to a biblical command. The problem is that everybody (including Bidam) defending their 'tithing' activity here always try to justify it by reference to a biblical command. I don't see how you can convince me your 'tithing' is not an attempt to comply with a law (one that was never meant for you).

1 Like

Re: Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church by Zikkyy(m): 8:21am On Jun 07, 2013
Bidam:
I know about the levites.You forgot to mention that they also pay tithes. To whom do they pay tithes to?

The Levite's tithe went to the Aaron. That's also proof that the priest cannot collect tithe from the people. THE TITHE FOR THE PRIEST COMES FROM THE LEVITES. If you were to be a Jew from any other tribe, the priest officiating in the temple can never receive your tithe, instead it goes to the Levi people.
Re: Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church by Nobody: 8:24am On Jun 07, 2013
Zikkyy:

The above is enough proof that the Levites don't have authority.

Definition of Authority:

The power or right to give orders, make decisions, and enforce obedience: e.g. "he had absolute authority over his subordinates".

The Levites don't have authority to collect tithe otherwise they squeeze it out of their brother Israelite.
In God's kingdom we don't use that kind of authority.God also has sovereign authority but He can't function without the willing participation of a human vessel.
Re: Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church by Zikkyy(m): 8:32am On Jun 07, 2013
Bidam:
In God's kingdom we don't use that kind of authority.God also has sovereign authority but He can't function without the willing participation of a human vessel.

Re: Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church by Nobody: 8:36am On Jun 07, 2013
Zikkyy:

Your tithing paying 10% of your income to your pastor becomes legalistic when you attempt to link it to God's command for the Isrealite to tithe their agric produce.

It is not legalistic if the giving was of your own volition and not because you are responding to a biblical command. The problem is that everybody (including Bidam) defending their 'tithing' activity here always try to justify it by reference to a biblical command. I don't see how you can convince me your 'tithing' is not an attempt to comply with a law (one that was never meant for you).
But everything written in His word is for our admonition no? No one is saying not paying tithes will take you to hell na.and that is why i said in my previous post that a Christian pays tithe not because the law demands it but because grace empowers us to give.
Re: Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church by Zikkyy(m): 8:45am On Jun 07, 2013
Bidam:
.....and that is why i said in my previous post that a Christian pays tithe not because the law demands it but because grace empowers us to give.

Speak for ya self. I don't know of any Christian that tithe gives 10% of his/her income to the pastor because grace empowers him/her to give, and i know lots of tithers 10% givers. The justification has always been "it is written in the bible that i must tithe" or Malachi 3 so the devourer will not come near him/her or just because the person want to hammer.

Bidam:
.....and that is why i said in my previous post that a Christian pays tithe not because the law demands it but because grace empowers us to give.

Then you are no longer paying God's tithe, what you 'pay' is the pastoral tithe. It's good you know that.
Re: Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church by Nobody: 8:51am On Jun 07, 2013
Zikkyy:

The Levite's tithe went to the Aaron. That's also proof that the priest cannot collect tithe from the people. THE TITHE FOR THE PRIEST COMES FROM THE LEVITES. If you were to be a Jew from any other tribe, the priest officiating in the temple can never receive your tithe, instead it goes to the Levi people.
Yes the levite's tithe went to the High priest.From this analogy levites are priest of Old. We are the Priests of the New. Jesus is NOW our High Priest. We as Priests offer Our tithes and offerings to JESUS NA.Simple bible sense. And this same Jesus has given authority in the church to His ministers to conduct His work on earth in His stead according to Pauline letters. So it makes perfect bible sense if tithes are given to ministers.
Re: Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church by Zikkyy(m): 8:58am On Jun 07, 2013
Bidam:
Yes the levite's tithe went to the High priest.From this analogy levites are priest of Old. We are the Priests of the New. Jesus is NOW our High Priest. We as Priests offer Our tithes and offerings to JESUS NA.Simple bible sense.

grin ...and who do we collect our 10% from, now that we are all levites? as Levites we are also entitled to receive tithe or 10% (we now have the authority and responsibility to collect tithe. abi, no be so you talk am?) You cannot just look at one leg of the transaction and ignore the other leg.

..and this is still not telling us that God's tithe was instituted for Christians. Unless you are referring to the pastoral tithe.

1 Like

Re: Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church by Nobody: 9:03am On Jun 07, 2013
Zikkyy:

Speak for ya self. I don't know of any Christian that tithe gives 10% of his/her income to the pastor because grace empowers him/her to give, and i know lots of tithers 10% givers. The justification has always been "it is written in the bible that i must tithe" or Malachi 3 so the devourer will not come near him/her or just because the person want to hammer.
On the contrary i am speaking for all tithers who knows the truth about the infallibility of God's word.There is something to be gleaned from Malachi 3 if you actually are spiritually discerning and not the curses.

Then you are no longer paying God's tithe, what you 'pay' is the pastoral tithe. It's good you know that.
Human interpretation.There is nothing like pastor's tithe.It is God's tithe, the onus is on you to give me scriptural proof.
Re: Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church by Nobody: 9:22am On Jun 07, 2013
Zikkyy:

grin ...and who do we collect our 10% from, now that we are all levites? as Levites we are also entitled to receive tithe or 10% (we now have the authority and responsibility to collect tithe. abi, no be so you talk am?) You cannot just look at one leg of the transaction and ignore the other leg.

..and this is still not telling us that God's tithe was instituted for Christians. Unless you are referring to the pastoral tithe.
You still don't get the import of my meaning. I said from day one God intentions was for all Israel to be Priests and by extension the whole world who come to Christ the High Priest.This was clearly spelt out in the scriptures here “You shall be a special treasure to Me above all people... you shall be to Me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation”. Exodus 19.5-6. Revelation 1.6 also says, “And [God] hath made
us kings and priests unto God and His Father.” But shortly after God revealed His intimate intention with Moses, one of the worlds greatest tragedies occurred.“Then they said to Moses, ‘You speak with us, and we will hear; but let not God speak with us, lest we die.’ Hence God had to choose to levites unto Himself but from the very beginning it was not so.
Re: Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church by Zikkyy(m): 9:34am On Jun 07, 2013
Bidam:
On the contrary i am speaking for all tithers who knows the truth about the infallibility of God's word.

Sorry to say this, but knowing the truth about the 'infallibility' of God's word does not equate to motivation for giving 10% of your income to the pastor. and even the 'infallibility' of God's word does not equate to Christian tithing. Like i said earlier, i know lots of tithers 10% givers and justification is never because grace empowers them to give. Sorry you cannot speak for them, they already told me why they tithe give 10%.

Bidam:
Human interpretation.

Am human. I don't pretend to be something am not.

Bidam:
There is nothing like pastor's tithe.It is God's tithe, the onus is on you to give me scriptural proof.

Scriptural proof of pastoral tithe You don't find proof of pastoral tithe in the scriptures, instead you find it in Churches. It's end of month already, so visit the nearest Pentecostal church next Sunday for proof grin

You find God's tithe in the bible. Read from Moses.

Bidam:
There is nothing like pastor's tithe.

Oh yes there is. Pastoral tithe is 10% of people's income. God's tithe is tithe of the land (produce of the land in Israel) and the tenth animal as counted by the herdsman.

1 Like

Re: Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church by Nobody: 9:45am On Jun 07, 2013
Zikkyy:

Sorry to say this, but knowing the truth about the 'infallibility' of God's word does not equate to motivation for giving 10% of your income to the pastor. and even the 'infallibility' of God's word does not equate to Christian tithing. Like i said earlier, i know lots of tithers 10% givers and justification is never because grace empowers them to give. Sorry you cannot speak for them, they already told me why they tithe give 10%.

Am human. I don't pretend to be something am not.

Scriptural proof of pastoral tithe You don't find proof of pastoral tithe in the scriptures, instead you find it in Churches. It's end of month already, so visit the nearest Pentecostal church next Sunday for proof grin

You find God's tithe in the bible. Read from Moses.

Oh yes there is. Pastoral tithe is 10% of people's income. God's tithe is tithe of the land (produce of the land in Israel) and the tenth animal as counted by the herdsman.
And what are you trying to say here Smh
Re: Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church by DrummaBoy(m): 10:07am On Jun 07, 2013
Bidam: But everything written in His word is for our admonition no? No one is saying [b]not paying tithes will take you to hell na[/b].and that is why i said in my previous post that a Christian pays tithe not because the law demands it but because grace empowers us to give.

But the bolded is exactly what Olaadegbu teaches with his visions of hell on this forum and you very well agree with him.

That is by the way. You did not answer my question: Is tithing different from circumcision?
Re: Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church by Zikkyy(m): 10:09am On Jun 07, 2013
Bidam:
You still don't get the import of my meaning. I said from day one God intentions was for all Israel to be Priests and by extension the whole world who come to Christ the High Priest.This was clearly spelt out in the scriptures here “You shall be a special treasure to Me above all people... you shall be to Me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation”. Exodus 19.5-6. Revelation 1.6 also says, “And [God] hath made
us kings and priests unto God and His Father.”

We are saying the same thing. We are now priests and so can only tithe when we receive tithe. You should understand that the Levite only tithe from the tithe they received from the people. They had farmland, they had animals but they were only required to tithe from what they received from the people. Shine your eye when reading the bible reference below.

Numbers 18:25-29 (NIV)
25 The Lord said to Moses, 26 “Speak to the Levites and say to them:
‘When you receive from the Israelites the tithe I give you as your inheritance, you must present a tenth of that tithe as the Lord’s offering. 27 Your offering will be reckoned to you as grain from the threshing floor or juice from the winepress. 28 In this way you also will present an offering to the Lord from all the tithes you receive from the Israelites. From these tithes you must give the Lord’s portion to Aaron the priest. 29 You must present as the Lord’s portion the best and holiest part of everything given to you.’

The Levites were not required to tithe from what they produced. If there is no tithe from the people, the priestly tribe will not tithe. They tithed only from the tithe they received. It's a two legged transaction. Now we are all priests, it therefore mean tithe cannot be received anymore. Unless you want to go collect nuts from monkeys and render a tenth to your pastor. That's as close as you can get wink

Bidam:
us kings and priests unto God and His Father.”

Anyways, we being priest is still no justification for us paying God's tithe. God's tithe was meant for the Levites as their inheritance and God did not write a new will taking that portion of their inheritance away from them and giving it to your pastor, and he did not write a new will that says we Christians should give 10% of our income to the pastor. My brother what you are paying is pastoral tithe. An invention of man.

2 Likes

Re: Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church by Zikkyy(m): 10:11am On Jun 07, 2013
Bidam: And what are you trying to say here Smh

I can see you no longer have anything to say. continue shaking ya head wink

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (Reply)

CAN Slams Osinbajo & Applauds Apostle Suleman For Speaking Out / “Blood Of Jesus” Drink Sold For N2,000 In Akwa Ibom (Photo) / Benin Pastor Shares Money In Church (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.