Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,374 members, 7,800,747 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 05:29 AM

Is Your System Too Slow? Here's The Help You Need - Computers (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Is Your System Too Slow? Here's The Help You Need (25991 Views)

Tips On How To Speed Up A Slow Computer. / Pc Games Running Too Slow On My 2gig Laptop! / My Canon Lbp 2900 Printer Too Slow On Network (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Your System Too Slow? Here's The Help You Need by onegig(m): 10:53am On Jun 11, 2013
yuzedo: op bro, wot if is mojo dat is slowin down d PC? undecided like maybe i have 499GB of mojo on 500GB PC?? undecided plis advise tongue

ok...Call me so i visit your banana island to help you format it...
Re: Is Your System Too Slow? Here's The Help You Need by yuzedo: 11:23am On Jun 11, 2013
onegig:

ok...Call me so i visit your banana island to help you format it...
no. u loooooook like who tiff goat meat + shaveing stick when nobody loooookin! angry angry angry angry
Re: Is Your System Too Slow? Here's The Help You Need by judano: 1:26pm On Jun 11, 2013
onegig:
Be Sure To Clean Up Your Desktop

It's funny when i see clients have their desktop screen filled with files and folders ranging from large movie files to all kinds of programs and shortcuts. If you have a lot of big files there, that means there's trouble. It's better to open your documents folder and copy those large document files to the my document folder also copy all movie files and other unwanted folders to their appropriate locations, they don't belong on the desktop. Only leave important shortcuts that you need on the desktop screen.

www.onegig..com

Nice write up but I don't see how icons or folders on your desktop slow down your system. Remember, the desktop is part of your hard drive and similar to 'My Documents' folder. The items you view on your desktop and their positions are controlled by user personalization settings using what already exist in the hard disk.
Re: Is Your System Too Slow? Here's The Help You Need by Jossy07(m): 2:58pm On Jun 11, 2013
OP,How do i check the type of RAM am using?
Re: Is Your System Too Slow? Here's The Help You Need by Nobody: 4:30pm On Jun 11, 2013
I would suggest you create a guest account and password your main account. This would prevent unwanted access to all your files.
Anybody that needs your system can simply login as a guest, do whatever they need and logout without tampering with your other files, they only have access to what is in your guest account.
Note: you can always switch inbetween accounts whenever you like.I would suggest you create a guest account and password your main account. This would prevent unwanted access to all your files.
Anybody that needs your system can simply login as a guest, do whatever they need and logout without tampering with your other files, they only have access to what is in your guest account.
Note: you can always switch inbetween accounts whenever you like.
I would suggest you create a guest account and password your main account. This would prevent unwanted access to all your files.
Note: you can always switch inbetween accounts whenever you like. Thanks, i wl gv it a trial
Re: Is Your System Too Slow? Here's The Help You Need by Unkl(m): 9:21pm On Jun 11, 2013
Insightful
Re: Is Your System Too Slow? Here's The Help You Need by clemmonce(m): 9:44pm On Jun 11, 2013
onegig: didnt explain how to remove those unneeded startup items. But here's it.

Press the windows key + r on your keyboard. I.e. Press the windows key and r at the same time. When the run page pops up by the bottom left corner. Type in msconfig and press enter key. Once the msconfig page comes up click the STARTUP tab and uncheck all unfamiliar things listed except items such as antivirus, wireless , bluetooth and graphics driver(igfx) all others should be uncheked. Click apply when done. Restart your system and you should notice the difference.
thanks alot... i just did what you explained and i saw the difference... thanks. but at my task bar there is a notification that BLOCKED STARTUP PROGRAM... what does it mean
Re: Is Your System Too Slow? Here's The Help You Need by clemmonce(m): 9:50pm On Jun 11, 2013
@poster thanks alot... just downloaded the ccleaner .. i was about using when i saw a notification that this software is going to permanently delete files from your system... what should i do.. i hope it wont delete my files
Re: Is Your System Too Slow? Here's The Help You Need by Nobody: 10:17pm On Jun 11, 2013
clemmonce: thanks alot... i just did what you explained and i saw the difference... thanks. but at my task bar there is a notification that BLOCKED STARTUP PROGRAM... what does it mean
@op gd job. It dosent mean anything.just ignore it.
Re: Is Your System Too Slow? Here's The Help You Need by Nobody: 10:18pm On Jun 11, 2013
clemmonce: @poster thanks alot... just downloaded the ccleaner .. i was about using when i saw a notification that this software is going to permanently delete files from your system... what should i do.. i hope it wont delete my files
it would only delete unneeded files..
Re: Is Your System Too Slow? Here's The Help You Need by clemmonce(m): 10:34pm On Jun 11, 2013
mdsocks: @op gd job. It dosent mean anything.just ignore it.
thanks God bless
Re: Is Your System Too Slow? Here's The Help You Need by clemmonce(m): 10:39pm On Jun 11, 2013
mdsocks: it would only delete unneeded files..
thanks man. on the website filehippo i saw free AVG software can i download it? i am scared because a friend told me on saturday that there was an antivirus he installed on a system that after installing it the antivirus deleted so many things on the system and even nearly crashed it because the windows is not original.... so i am kind of scared i hope the avg wont destroy my system because i am not sure if my windows is original.. so what should i do? because i need an antivirus on my system
Re: Is Your System Too Slow? Here's The Help You Need by nonysmith(m): 6:35am On Jun 12, 2013
Thanks for the info maan....but d issue I hav with my system is dat once I plug in my isp it begins to update diff tinz on my system..6or the antivirus am ok wit it but d rest I hav no idea wat it is...aand as soon as I shut down my system it automatically say do not turn off the power source 20 updates in progress...*nd am wondering which updates could dis be.......pls help dis end user biko
Re: Is Your System Too Slow? Here's The Help You Need by judano: 7:34am On Jun 12, 2013
Your system is set by default to automatically download Windows updates. While this is a good practice, it may become very annoying and frustrating especially if you use a pay-as-you-go or slow internet. You can disable it at control panel. Search for updates and set to the option "Notify me about updates but let me choose when to download and install them". Something like that.
nonysmith: Thanks for the info maan....but d issue I hav with my system is dat once I plug in my isp it begins to update diff tinz on my system..6or the antivirus am ok wit it but d rest I hav no idea wat it is...aand as soon as I shut down my system it automatically say do not turn off the power source 20 updates in progress...*nd am wondering which updates could dis be.......pls help dis end user biko

1 Like

Re: Is Your System Too Slow? Here's The Help You Need by Souljaboi1: 2:48pm On Jun 12, 2013
onegig:

Remove Those Unneeded Files
Hard disk begins to fragment files noticeably and slow down after passing the 50% full mark. For this reason, it is said that the single most important investment one can make to improve the performance of a PC is to purchase the largest hard drive possible. This situation will change with the advent of solid state hard drives as the files don't fragment meaningfully in these sorts of devices. At any rate if you have a hard drive and it's over 50% full, use a program like CCleaner or Microsoft's disk utility to get rid of unneeded files. Also uninstalling unneeded software can improve performance for disk space reasons and because programs often install right click options which disappear after uninstalling. This is valuable because menus are often built on the fly and take time to rebuild each time you open them. With fewer options there's faster performance.
Also i personally advice my clients to get CCleaner , it's one hell of a good cleaning software .
Here's the link to download CCleaner. go to www.piriform.com and select download ccleaner. choose download the free version.

Thank you for this. I just cleared up about 9gb worth of space on my system.
Thank you once again.
Best wishes. smiley
Re: Is Your System Too Slow? Here's The Help You Need by doziej84: 4:14pm On Jun 13, 2013
Please i have an external HDD of 1gb. suddenly it became slow and unresponsive.

i have tried to defragment it but it takes like forever and hangs up my system that i will hv to force-shut it down.

i hv a bulk of data in it and do not want to lose it.

how can i get it back to its previous responsive state.
its a western digital passport(1gb)

thnks
Re: Is Your System Too Slow? Here's The Help You Need by onegig(m): 8:35pm On Jun 13, 2013
clemmonce: thanks man. on the website filehippo i saw free AVG software can i download it? i am scared because a friend told me on saturday that there was an antivirus he installed on a system that after installing it the antivirus deleted so many things on the system and even nearly crashed it because the windows is not original.... so i am kind of scared i hope the avg wont destroy my system because i am not sure if my windows is original.. so what should i do? because i need an antivirus on my system
to check if your windows is original open my computer , and at the top right corner you will see system properties, click on it and scroll down. You should see that status there. If its genuine get the microsoft security essentials. I cant vouch for AVG.
Re: Is Your System Too Slow? Here's The Help You Need by onegig(m): 8:42pm On Jun 13, 2013
judano:

Nice write up but I don't see how icons or folders on your desktop slow down your system. Remember, the desktop is part of your hard drive and similar to 'My Documents' folder. The items you view on your desktop and their positions are controlled by user personalization settings using what already exist in the hard disk.
having icons on your desktop slows down startup as the active desktop needs to load all icons from memory before the system is fully loaded and do recall the desktop is not indexed.

Take a look at the amount of memory will be used up at startup trying to reference 100 to 200 different icons and shortcuts from their different locations

Although it makes no signifcant difference if you have lots of ram space to use. Even on xp, there's a special wizard for clearing unneeded desktop icons.Thanks for the compliments
Re: Is Your System Too Slow? Here's The Help You Need by onegig(m): 8:45pm On Jun 13, 2013
Jossy07: OP,How do i check the type of RAM am using?
posted a link but was blocked by the spambot...i will include it in the writeup later.
Re: Is Your System Too Slow? Here's The Help You Need by Nobody: 11:42pm On Jun 13, 2013
1Gig
Slaak: pls ma format factory has stopped working and wen tryin to re-install, i got dis response. kindly help
Re: Is Your System Too Slow? Here's The Help You Need by clemmonce(m): 10:20am On Jun 14, 2013
onegig: to check if your windows is original open my computer , and at the top right corner you will see system properties, click on it and scroll down. You should see that status there. If its genuine get the microsoft security essentials. I cant vouch for AVG.
Thanks for taking out time to answer me.. i just checked it i saw my product key number and at the left i saw ASK FOR ORIGINAL MICROSOFT SOFTWARE.... GO ONLINE.. i dont know may be it is an advert ooooo but i want to be sure so i wont destroy my system by myself... if i install microsoft essentials the one you recommended and the software detected that my windows is fake it can just crash it... pls explain thanks
Re: Is Your System Too Slow? Here's The Help You Need by onegig(m): 9:45am On Jun 15, 2013
Slaak: 1Gig
Uninstall the format facory software first.

Open your ccleaner.. Under the registry tab. click on scan for issues.

After it has scanned for isseus. Click on fix selected issues. It will ask you if you want to back up.. Just pick no.

Restart the system and install the format factory back.
Re: Is Your System Too Slow? Here's The Help You Need by onegig(m): 10:58am On Jun 15, 2013
Jossy07: OP,How do i check the type of RAM am using?

check the link.

http://onegig..com/2013/06/determine-what-type-of-memory-your.html
Re: Is Your System Too Slow? Here's The Help You Need by Nobody: 12:14pm On Jun 15, 2013
onegig:
Uninstall the format facory software first.

Open your ccleaner.. Under the registry tab. click on scan for issues.

After it has scanned for isseus. Click on fix selected issues. It will ask you if you want to back up.. Just pick no.

Restart the system and install the format factory back.

many thanks
Re: Is Your System Too Slow? Here's The Help You Need by doziej84: 11:40pm On Jun 15, 2013
doziej84: Please i have an external HDD of 1gb. suddenly it became slow and unresponsive.

i have tried to defragment it but it takes like forever and hangs up my system that i will hv to force-shut it down.

i hv a bulk of data in it and do not want to lose it.

how can i get it back to its previous responsive state.
its a western digital passport(1gb)

thnks
Re: Is Your System Too Slow? Here's The Help You Need by onegig(m): 4:32pm On Jun 16, 2013
clemmonce: Thanks for taking out time to answer me.. i just checked it i saw my product key number and at the left i saw ASK FOR ORIGINAL MICROSOFT SOFTWARE.... GO ONLINE.. i dont know may be it is an advert ooooo but i want to be sure so i wont destroy my system by myself... if i install microsoft essentials the one you recommended and the software detected that my windows is fake it can just crash it... pls explain thanks

microsoft security essentials wont crash your system is its not genuine. It would not install at all.

Wait what operating system do you use. Is there a genuine windows image by the right hand side of the ASK FOR ORIGINAL MICROSOFT SOFTWARE thingy?
Re: Is Your System Too Slow? Here's The Help You Need by maxibrainz: 9:58am On Jun 17, 2013
MTN magic sim settings that you can use to browse and download unlimitedly on your phone and PC is now available, you can also use it to ping on your blackberry phone. Etisalat magic sim settings is also available which you can use to browse and download unlimitedly on your phone and PC and you can also use it to ping your BB. Special one for all BB users free subscription is now available if you need any of them send your request to my email maxibrainz55@gmail.com
Re: Is Your System Too Slow? Here's The Help You Need by newleaf247: 4:08pm On Jun 28, 2013
very useful grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Dell Inspiron 600m Ethernet Controller/lan Driver / HP Elitebook 840 G2 with 1gb graphics card / Common Issues After Installing Windows 10 And Solutions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.