Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,400 members, 7,808,432 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:55 AM

Special Assistance Needed From Crytal Report Gurus Here. - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Special Assistance Needed From Crytal Report Gurus Here. (1690 Views)

VB.NET Assistance Needed From VB.NET Gurus / Help Needed From All Vba Programmers In The House! / I Need To Learn Java From The Scratch.any Gurus Here? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Special Assistance Needed From Crytal Report Gurus Here. by VURN(m): 10:19pm On Mar 02, 2013
I have been researching and trying to design this particular report but i still can not. I want to generate report from different tables and the report should dynamically create the colunm title. The report should group or select data from 2 or more columns in a table and place them in a particular box of a row in the report.
Re: Special Assistance Needed From Crytal Report Gurus Here. by uken73(m): 11:07pm On Mar 02, 2013
VURN: I have been researching and trying to design this particular report but i still can not. I want to generate report from different tables and the report should dynamically create the colunm title. The report should group or select data from 2 or more columns in a table and place them in a particular box of a row in the report.

I use Crystal Report quite a lot. But making dynamic headings? I shy away from that.

Crystal report's design is more geared towards dynamic rows. You can have dynamic columns though, but it's a lot of work and I've been avoiding that.

Whenever a have need of dynamic columns, I prefer to export my data to excel. Excel is also a very good reporting tool. It usually requires more effort than crystal report, but when it comes to dynamic columns, I think it serves better. Maybe you should try it.
Re: Special Assistance Needed From Crytal Report Gurus Here. by VURN(m): 10:23am On Mar 03, 2013
@uken
i so much appreciate your suggestion. Let me starte thinking about it to know if it will be possible. But i wish we can talk on phone since we cant type everythin here. Do u mind dropping ur number? Mine is 07031557301
Re: Special Assistance Needed From Crytal Report Gurus Here. by VURN(m): 11:55am On Mar 03, 2013
Even if it is to make it a deal and talk business, lets do it. Pls
Re: Special Assistance Needed From Crytal Report Gurus Here. by hoodboi(m): 9:20pm On Mar 04, 2013
Why don't you carry out the research yourself and challenge yourself. I also shy away from dynamically using crystal report and I make use of excel too from vb. I will try to post a link tomorrow
Re: Special Assistance Needed From Crytal Report Gurus Here. by VURN(m): 1:00pm On Mar 05, 2013
Yeah! Please do post d link. I will be grateful. Am already trying someting on my own. But i would like it to be fast cos i av other thins am doing presently. So, i wish to deliver it as fast as possible. Would u mind if we work 2geda? The core application has been developed but generating the report to match their format is my problem and i am seeing excel as the possible tool for the solution. Hope to hear from you.
Re: Special Assistance Needed From Crytal Report Gurus Here. by hoodboi(m): 2:50pm On Mar 07, 2013
I couldn't find the link, but this is the file i downloaded from the site

Re: Special Assistance Needed From Crytal Report Gurus Here. by VURN(m): 9:33am On Mar 09, 2013
Ok, thanks alot. I will go through it. But what i really want to do is to save to excel then, generate crystal report from the excel, i.e. using excel as data source. From my research, i will av to create a systen DNS for the excel file then, from the crystal report, i will create a connection with ODBC (RDO) using the DNS. I also learnt that crystal report by default, uses the first row as the titles of the columns. Thanks for ur assistance.
Re: Special Assistance Needed From Crytal Report Gurus Here. by uken73(m): 11:13am On Mar 10, 2013
VURN: @uken
i so much appreciate your suggestion. Let me starte thinking about it to know if it will be possible. But i wish we can talk on phone since we cant type everythin here. Do u mind dropping ur number? Mine is 07031557301

I'm so sorry for not responding on time. But if you still need to talk to me, call me on 08030945000.
Re: Special Assistance Needed From Crytal Report Gurus Here. by VURN(m): 8:39pm On Mar 21, 2013
@uken
thanks for your concern on my problem. I av sent you a mail describing the problem am having. I hope 2 hear from u soon.
Re: Special Assistance Needed From Crytal Report Gurus Here. by uken73(m): 10:36am On Mar 23, 2013
VURN: @uken
thanks for your concern on my problem. I av sent you a mail describing the problem am having. I hope 2 hear from u soon.

I have seen your expected output. I can now understand the sceneria very well. I have a project on the very same thing, but at the time of development, I did not know about generating reports to Excel, Excel would be the simplest way to present your reports. In my project, I actually used crystal report all through.

Option 1
: If you must use crystal report, the simplest way is to define a fixed number of columns with fields (kind of template/placeholder fields). In this case your report generation approach will have to be by using pre-populated dataset. This is actually a little more technical that the common approach where the report pulls the data from the database directly. In this case, you will be pushing pre-populated data via a dataset to crystal report. That is, you fetch the data via code & if necessary perform some data manipulation, store the data in a dataset and supply the dataset as the report datasource. You can google "Pushing data to Crystal Report through Dataset" to find resources on that.

Challenge with option 1 above is having to have a preset number of columns, so that for the master mark sheet where there are some courses with 4yrs, others 5yrs and spill over may result in 7yrs then you will create 7 columns for each year's summary result. So for a straight 4 years course, you will have 3 blank columns. However, it is possible to dynamically creat columns, but that is too tedious to justify your use of crystal report which is supposed to make reporting easy for you.

Option 2: If you want to use excel, you will fetch the data from the database as in option 1 above and dynamically create an excel file, populate it with the data and display. You can google to find resources on sending data to excel.

The advantage with excel, is that it has enough columns by default (so you don't create or define a fixed number of columns) and will typically display only the columns that have data. So you will populate the columns as you need without leaving blank columns. And some can adjust column widths and format the presentation before printing. However, when I use excel, I always set my lines and other formating directly from code.

I'm a very busy person, my effort here is aimed at giving you direction. If you find those resources and have problem understanding or implementing, I would help. I'm stating this because I may not have extended time to give so much details and I can't quite remember where to point you to on the web. I hope this helps.
Re: Special Assistance Needed From Crytal Report Gurus Here. by VURN(m): 8:46pm On Mar 23, 2013
@uken
Thanks so much bro. Am very grateful. I will do as u av directed me to. I will try my best and give u feedback. Thanks alot.
Re: Special Assistance Needed From Crytal Report Gurus Here. by Amee1(m): 10:14pm On Apr 01, 2013
I follow ur thread. Why do'nt u migrate 2 vb.net? all u need is piece of code 2 generate ur report .1 step. After conn to ur database then insert print btn, insert printdocument & printpreview then double click on print bnt then code i.e Dim font as a new string={ arial , 12}. Then double click on printpriview code it. It will generate ur report base on column. No edit hope this help!
Re: Special Assistance Needed From Crytal Report Gurus Here. by VURN(m): 2:01pm On Apr 02, 2013
Amee1: I follow ur thread. Why do'nt u migrate 2 vb.net? all u need is piece of code 2 generate ur report .1 step. After conn to ur database then insert print btn, insert printdocument & printpreview then double click on print bnt then code i.e Dim font as a new string={ arial , 12}. Then double click on printpriview code it. It will generate ur report base on column. No edit hope this help!
i appreciate. Could u drop ur contact lets talk or u call me, o7o3l5573ol
I'll be expecting ur call
Re: Special Assistance Needed From Crytal Report Gurus Here. by Amee1(m): 2:34pm On Apr 04, 2013
I'm very sorry 4 not responding 2 u. I travel. U can reach me @ amee.nestic@gmail.com
Re: Special Assistance Needed From Crytal Report Gurus Here. by Amee1(m): 2:36pm On Apr 04, 2013
I'm very sorry 4 not responding 2 u. I travel. U can reach me at amee.nestic@gmail.com
Re: Special Assistance Needed From Crytal Report Gurus Here. by nestic(m): 8:56am On May 26, 2016
Amee1:
I'm very sorry 4 not responding 2 u. I travel. U can reach me at amee.nestic@gmail.com
god bless u brotherly lemme check it out.. I'll get back to you thanks alot

(1) (Reply)

Creating A Startup Section / Java Certification: A Game Changer? / Must Everything Go The Web Way?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.