Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,610 members, 7,770,619 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 12:09 PM

Construction Of Lagos-abidjan Expressway To Commence In 2014 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Construction Of Lagos-abidjan Expressway To Commence In 2014 (8527 Views)

Bazaar: Rehabilitation Of 100km Umuahia-Portharcourt Expressway To Gulp N90.3bn / Lagos-badagry Expressway To Be Closed On Sunday / Lagos/Ibadan Expressway To Be 10 Lanes —FERMA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Construction Of Lagos-abidjan Expressway To Commence In 2014 by theshadyexpress(m): 8:09am On Mar 03, 2013
he construction of the Lagos-Abidjan Expressway will commence in 2014, President Goodluck Jonathan has said.

The President said this on Saturday at an investors’ forum in Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire as part of his state visit to the country.

Jonathan said the road was important to economic growth in the sub-region as it would enhance free movement of goods and persons.

He said when completed, the expressway would also drastically reduce the challenges currently being posed by security operatives to traders.

The President said issues bordering on how to ensure that the road was delivered as soon as possible took the centre stage at a meeting he had with the leaders from Togo, Benin, Cote d’Ivoire and Ghana recently.

He said, “We have charged the Ivorian Minister of Infrastructure and the Nigerian Minister of Works to work with the ECOWAS Commission and within two weeks come up with a blueprint and preliminary information on the project that we will discuss in Addis Ababa in May when we go for AU meeting

“This is because we want a situation where the desk-work will be completed this year and by next year, we want physical construction.

“We believe that when we have this road, the issue of movement interference by customs and police will be minimised because that will be an ECOWAS road.

“The laws regulating the use of the road will not be the laws regulating that of the roads in Nigeria, Cote d’Ivoire or Ghana. It will be an international standard and everything will be done in such a way that movement of goods, services and so on will not be interfered with by local restriction.”

Jonathan said the projects would not be financed with public funds but by development partners and some viable banks which would re-coup their fund through tariffs and toll fees.

“By the time you can traverse from Nigeria to Cote d’Ivoire, then you will easily integrate the entire sub-region.

“You will so integrate the system in such a way that you can key other countries along that is why we decided that we must work with our business men and men women to develop an express road from Lagos to Abidja

http://www.punchng.com/news/construction-of-lagos-abidjan-expressway-to-commence-in-2014/#sthash.P4Kf1SH0.dpuf
Re: Construction Of Lagos-abidjan Expressway To Commence In 2014 by bigass(f): 9:03am On Mar 03, 2013
Are these people dreaming or what? this is 2013!They are supposed to be talking about high speed trains! Jonathan has taken his cluelessness across the border. Besides why not finish constructing the major roads at home before venturing abroad.

18 Likes

Re: Construction Of Lagos-abidjan Expressway To Commence In 2014 by Nobody: 9:16am On Mar 03, 2013
bigass: are this people dreaming? this is 2013 they supposed to be talking about high speed trains Jonathan has taken his cluelessness across border

The high-speed rail can be built alongside the highway, just like the Lagos-Badagry expressway.
However, the HSR is definitely going to cost a lot of money too.
Re: Construction Of Lagos-abidjan Expressway To Commence In 2014 by Gbawe: 9:25am On Mar 03, 2013
bigass: are this people dreaming? this is 2013 they supposed to be talking about high speed trains Jonathan has taken his cluelessness across border

You are not correct here. It is not about high speed trains alone. It cannot be. It is all about an efficient, flexible and varied transport mix developed through optimal cost efficiency. There are several ways I can travel to France and the Netherlands from the UK. Road, Ferry, the Euro-tunnel trains are all options facilitated by a flexible transport mix.

I fully support this effort because I believe in efficient transportation of goods and services across the West African hub to stimulate SME business growth, economic development and increase inter-continental trading between African nations. Very good development if it is not another 'lip service' exercise.

4 Likes

Re: Construction Of Lagos-abidjan Expressway To Commence In 2014 by Ramtzy: 9:32am On Mar 03, 2013
Joker... My people say pesin wey promis you clothe, na d one wey him wear you go take know wetin e go giv u.. How many expressway has he completely repaired or constructed in Nigeria since he assumed office.. Ivory coast peeeople..!!! make una no believe am o eehnn! i don talk my own o

2 Likes

Re: Construction Of Lagos-abidjan Expressway To Commence In 2014 by wasdub(m): 10:57am On Mar 03, 2013
Thank God
Re: Construction Of Lagos-abidjan Expressway To Commence In 2014 by Nobody: 11:00am On Mar 03, 2013
THEY WILL TAKE YOUR LIFE AND GIVE YOU ILLUMATI DESIGN ROAD TO TELEPORT YOU TO SEXY SWEET FIRE OF LOVE ORE LIKE PEOPLE WITH OBAMA SOUL MICROCHIP. RESIST THE CORPORATE SATAN WITH FAN FICTION OF SAMMIFER. SAY NO TO SEXY SEUN AND ILLUMATI ROAD.
Re: Construction Of Lagos-abidjan Expressway To Commence In 2014 by mmmustapha(m): 11:03am On Mar 03, 2013
Is a welcome development, I salute u jonah boy
Re: Construction Of Lagos-abidjan Expressway To Commence In 2014 by Chartey(m): 11:04am On Mar 03, 2013
Ramtzy: Joker... My people say pesin wey promis you clothe, na d one wey him wear you go take know wetin e go giv u.. How many expressway has he completely repaired or constructed in Nigeria since he assumed office.. Ivory coast peeeople..!!! make una no believe am o eehnn! i don talk my own o
Some people just take joy in displaying their ignorance. It is not a Jonathan or even a Jonathan-initiated project. It is an ECOWAS project and it has been in the works for many years now. Funding is from "development partners" (presumably China). If any country benefits most, it should be Ghana because the road will be across it's whole breadth and it will have the most number of towns and probably toll-gates on it.
Re: Construction Of Lagos-abidjan Expressway To Commence In 2014 by Nobody: 11:07am On Mar 03, 2013
They should be talking of HSR. We are in modern times and we should grow with it. Any way , building roads can be seen as a start.
Re: Construction Of Lagos-abidjan Expressway To Commence In 2014 by ypzilanti: 11:09am On Mar 03, 2013
East West Road Nko? Good development, but that East-West Road is an embarrassment to a President from the region. Is there something in PDP manifesto against serving Presidents treating roads in their region with seriousness? OBJ could not fix roads in his home state, same with GEJ now.
Re: Construction Of Lagos-abidjan Expressway To Commence In 2014 by knotty(m): 11:10am On Mar 03, 2013
Looks like GEJ is ready to make any avowal at the sight of anything pleasant regardless of cost, practicalnes, and reality.
That convoy ride across the streets of Abidjan and the honors certainly touched the right cord in the `I PROMISE` membrane of his brain.
I am surprised he didn't promise them free education and automatic employment at all levels in Abidjan
Re: Construction Of Lagos-abidjan Expressway To Commence In 2014 by mrofficial2(m): 11:13am On Mar 03, 2013
SimonAndal: THEY WILL TAKE YOUR LIFE AND GIVE YOU ILLUMATI DESIGN ROAD TO TELEPORT YOU TO SEXY SWEET FIRE OF LOVE ORE LIKE PEOPLE WITH OBAMA SOUL MICROCHIP. RESIST THE CORPORATE SATAN WITH FAN FICTION OF SAMMIFER. SAY NO TO SEXY SEUN AND ILLUMATI ROAD.

Schizophrenia ooo.
Re: Construction Of Lagos-abidjan Expressway To Commence In 2014 by mrofficial2(m): 11:15am On Mar 03, 2013
ypzilanti: East West Road Nko? Good development, but that East-West Road is an embarrassment to a President from the region. Is there something in PDP manifesto against serving Presidents treating roads in their region with seriousness? OBJ could not fix roads in his home state, same with GEJ now.

Exactly. The east-west road networking doesn't make iota of sense.
Re: Construction Of Lagos-abidjan Expressway To Commence In 2014 by PapaBrowne(m): 11:17am On Mar 03, 2013
Gbawe:

You are not correct here. It is not about high speed trains alone. It cannot be. It is all about an efficient, flexible and varied transport mix developed through optimal cost efficiency. There are several ways I can travel to France and the Netherlands from the UK. Road, Ferry, the Euro-tunnel trains are all options facilitated by a flexible transport mix.

I fully support this effort because I believe in efficient transportation of goods and services across the West African hub to stimulate SME business growth, economic development and increase inter-continental trading between African nations. Very good development if it is not another 'lip service' exercise.

For the first time in the history of Gbawe's life on Nairaland. . . . . . . . . .

An article with Jonathan in it was devoid of hateful criticism. Congratulatunk!!!. I sha know you like Ghana very well and would definitely love to drive a freeeway all the way to Accra

3 Likes

Re: Construction Of Lagos-abidjan Expressway To Commence In 2014 by ypzilanti: 11:18am On Mar 03, 2013
SimonAndal: THEY WILL TAKE YOUR LIFE AND GIVE YOU ILLUMATI DESIGN ROAD TO TELEPORT YOU TO SEXY SWEET FIRE OF LOVE ORE LIKE PEOPLE WITH OBAMA SOUL MICROCHIP. RESIST THE CORPORATE SATAN WITH FAN FICTION OF SAMMIFER. SAY NO TO SEXY SEUN AND ILLUMATI ROAD.

This guy runs around Nairaland posting this rubbish. Mods, una no go ban am? Maybe they should start doing an online psychological test before people can sign up to the internet. In that case, Nairaland viewers panel will read something like '1000 members online in last five minutes: 900 members insane, 100 members normal'.

6 Likes

Re: Construction Of Lagos-abidjan Expressway To Commence In 2014 by taharqa: 11:19am On Mar 03, 2013
knotty: Looks like GEJ is ready to make any avowal at the sight of anything pleasant regardless of cost, practicalnes, and reality.
That convoy ride across the streets of Abidjan and the honors certainly touched the right cord in the `I PROMISE` membrane of his brain.
I am surprised he didn't promise them free education and automatic employment at all levels in Abidjan
Sm of u guys just say anything that come to yr heads without any Thought. No Processing done whatsoeva.
Re: Construction Of Lagos-abidjan Expressway To Commence In 2014 by ypzilanti: 11:33am On Mar 03, 2013
PapaBrowne:

For the first time in the history of Gbawe's life on Nairaland. . . . . . . . . .

An article with Jonathan in it was devoid of hateful criticism. Congratulatunk!!!. I sha know you like Ghana very well and would definitely love to drive a freeeway all the way to Accra

Lol. Abeg free Gbawe, jare. He is just as frustrated as i am about the slow pace of development in Nigeria. As a developing country, we should be doing double digit growth every year. We have so many avenues to expand and fast track the economy.

In my experience, it is the GEJ ethnic warriors, rear end kissers, and paid propogandists that never see anything bad in GEJ government. Progress has nowhere to hide. It's always a good idea to build a road...what bad can one say about it? To further shut the critics down, go ahead and complete the project. That's why i love Keshi, all his critics have either moved over to his side, or shut the faaak up. On the other hand, Keshi could have stumbled at the AFCON and then asked us if we expected him to fix 19 years of football mismanagement in 8 months. It would have been a legitimate question too, but it would not mean that it was an impossible task to achieve. He just proved that, didn't he?

I understand Nigeria's problems are enormous and it took us about 30 years to get here. But that does not mean that the right guy cannot solve majority of our problems in 4 years. I started a topic the other day about GEJs seeming renewed vigor in governance. He should keep it up. I don't want to see any master plan or projects in the 'pipeline' as election achievements. Let us see good solid performance, then many will walk over to his side, and the rest of the critics will shut up.

1 Like

Re: Construction Of Lagos-abidjan Expressway To Commence In 2014 by kutchs: 11:38am On Mar 03, 2013
knotty: Looks like GEJ is ready to make any avowal at the sight of anything pleasant regardless of cost, practicalnes, and reality.
This post sounds just as silly as the owner‘s name.
Why not get the whole details before rushing to post silly as usual, it‘s so annoying what hatred for anything Jonathan has turned some of you to.
Re: Construction Of Lagos-abidjan Expressway To Commence In 2014 by Goddex: 11:39am On Mar 03, 2013
Weldone GEJ for intervening.

For four yrs now Fashola and ACN propaganda machinery has been deceiving
us about the 2 and a half hour Lagos - Badagry expressway and have only
succeeded in doing a 3min Orile - Mile 2 part with two mighty toll gates already. Scammers!!
Re: Construction Of Lagos-abidjan Expressway To Commence In 2014 by K4: 11:48am On Mar 03, 2013
[quote author=Chartey]
Ghana'll benefit most because the road'll go across it?togo,benin nko?d road from Aflao to d Ivorian border is good.if you've recently travelled by road from accra to lagos you'd have noticed the road is good till u get to seme.
Re: Construction Of Lagos-abidjan Expressway To Commence In 2014 by Nobody: 12:08pm On Mar 03, 2013
bigass: Are these people dreaming or what? this is 2013!They are supposed to be talking about high speed trains! Jonathan has taken his cluelessness across the border. Besides why not finish constructing the major roads at home before venturing abroad.
as if u don enta high speed train before !!!! U see beta tin dey yarn korotanki. Ara agbakwala gi dia o

1 Like

Re: Construction Of Lagos-abidjan Expressway To Commence In 2014 by asha80(m): 12:43pm On Mar 03, 2013
this like the african development bank or is it world bank that is financing the reconstruction of a road that runs from bamenda in cameroun through ogoja to abakiliki and finally to enugu.the work at the moment is almost approaching abakiliki from the bamenda axis
Re: Construction Of Lagos-abidjan Expressway To Commence In 2014 by Gbawe: 12:46pm On Mar 03, 2013
PapaBrowne:

Abeg give it a rest. Did you see me mention clueless GEJ? He remains a waste of space and this is not his initiative so don't bring your fraudulent revisionism here. It is an ECOWAS project to boost trade, regional integration and the transport of goods and services. It will pass through virtually all member States and will, hopefully, be devoid of the bottlenecks that makes road travel difficult across West Africa.

Simply because your mediocre President is mentioned does not mean you can get away with any fraud or deceit here. Furthermore, since you dragged his name into things, I think GEJ is probably the worst President in West Africa currently in terms of innate skills and suitability for his position. Others are accomplished and prepared men and women. GEJ is not. In fact, the GEJ's of the world only slow things down, as the 'weakest link', for other serious national administrator.

http://www.citifmonline.com/index.php?id=1.1290999

Construction of Lagos –Abidjan corridor road to start end of 2013

The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) has set the end of 2013 or early 2014 for construction work to begin on the Lagos-Abidjan highway which is expected to link its member states.

President John Dramani Mahama, briefing journalists on arrival at the KIA from the 42nd Summit of ECOWAS heads of state and governments held in La Cote d’Ivoire said the heads of states have decided on a meeting of infrastructure and roads and highways Ministers in March 2013 to speed up the process.

It is expected that the Abidjan-Lagos Corridor will stimulate the free movement of goods, services and persons and also alleviate poverty, boost regional integration as well as improving the living conditions of West Africans.

Re: Construction Of Lagos-abidjan Expressway To Commence In 2014 by Reference(m): 12:48pm On Mar 03, 2013
bigass: Are these people dreaming or what? this is 2013!They are supposed to be talking about high speed trains! Jonathan has taken his cluelessness across the border. Besides why not finish constructing the major roads at home before venturing abroad.

Honestly I just don't understand this thinking and why our leaders are so bedeviled by short attention spans.

This President knows that he has a raging fire storm of bad roads back home that seem to defy every solution. He knows that moving goods and people by road is the least cost effective means and he knows the west african link is primarily for trade which means cargo, not tourists nor kids going to school so why not just put your thinking cap on add one and one together and build a rail line instead.

They say the cost of doing business in africa is high. Can you see why. Poor policies and inept decision making.
Re: Construction Of Lagos-abidjan Expressway To Commence In 2014 by Reference(m): 12:54pm On Mar 03, 2013
CFCfan:

The high-speed rail can be built alongside the highway, just like the Lagos-Badagry expressway.
However, the HSR is definitely going to cost a lot of money too.

What do you want high speed rail lines for. If you want to get there yesterday, fly. An air ticket will be cheaper but when you want to kick start development trade is key and trade is all about moving goods cheaply from factory to market.

Trade first. Pleasure comes later. Oh, I forgot. This is africa. Pleasure first, business later.

2 Likes

Re: Construction Of Lagos-abidjan Expressway To Commence In 2014 by Reference(m): 12:57pm On Mar 03, 2013
Chartey:
Some people just take joy in displaying their ignorance. It is not a Jonathan or even a Jonathan-initiated project. It is an ECOWAS project and it has been in the works for many years now. Funding is from "development partners" (presumably China). If any country benefits most, it should be Ghana because the road will be across it's whole breadth and it will have the most number of towns and probably toll-gates on it.

Well am glad you said toll gates and you may as well add check points. That's good for business, fantastic for trade.
Re: Construction Of Lagos-abidjan Expressway To Commence In 2014 by Gbawe: 1:20pm On Mar 03, 2013
Reference:

Honestly I just don't understand this thinking and why our leaders are so bedeviled by short attention spans.

This President knows that he has a raging fire storm of bad roads back home that seem to defy every solution. He knows that moving goods and people by road is the least cost effective means and he knows the west african link is primarily for trade which means cargo, not tourists nor kids going to school so why not just put your thinking cap on add one and one together and build a rail line instead.

They say the cost of doing business in africa is high. Can you see why. Poor policies and inept decision making.

This is not about GEJ and Nigeria alone. This is a West African venture affecting ECOWAS Nations. Nigeria, regardless of what is going on with our roads, cannot stay away from this initiative. Simple as that. We may not have our our house in order but let us try and see the position of others in every situation. Everything does not begin and end with our problems and our President must still play his part as others are doing.
Re: Construction Of Lagos-abidjan Expressway To Commence In 2014 by Nobody: 1:26pm On Mar 03, 2013
GEJ please shut up on issues concerning "planning to, blue print, survey, committee, setting up" and other to do's. We want to hear more of the *COMPLETED PROJECTS* since you became president in 2010.

I hate your style and you aren't the best choice from the South South but i would gladly campaign for, support, and ensure you are re-elected in 2015 against APC (Amala + Bomb blast party).

GEJ FOR 2015 - 2019 & BEYOND
Re: Construction Of Lagos-abidjan Expressway To Commence In 2014 by Capnd143(m): 1:30pm On Mar 03, 2013
I think Gej is thinking straight on this one, though he did nt initiate the project himself but he was a kin supporter of it, now with the road completed the will be good trade network coupled with the Proposed new general west african currency €Eco to be introduced in 2015[url]I think Gej is thinking straight on this one, though he did nt initiate the project himself but he was a kin supporter of it, now with the road completed the will be good trade network coupled with the Proposed new general west african currency €Eco to be introduced in 2015[/url]I think Gej is thinking straight on this one, though he did nt initiate the project himself but he was a kin supporter of it, now with the road completed the will be good trade network coupled with the Proposed new general west african currency €Eco to be introduced in 2015

Re: Construction Of Lagos-abidjan Expressway To Commence In 2014 by Gbawe: 1:38pm On Mar 03, 2013
ypzilanti:

Lol. Abeg free Gbawe, jare. He is just as frustrated as i am about the slow pace of development in Nigeria. As a developing country, we should be doing double digit growth every year. We have so many avenues to expand and fast track the economy.

In my experience, it is the GEJ ethnic warriors, rear end kissers, and paid propogandists that never see anything bad in GEJ government. Progress has nowhere to hide. It's always a good idea to build a road...what bad can one say about it? To further shut the critics down, go ahead and complete the project. That's why i love Keshi, all his critics have either moved over to his side, or shut the faaak up. On the other hand, Keshi could have stumbled at the AFCON and then asked us if we expected him to fix 19 years of football mismanagement in 8 months. It would have been a legitimate question too, but it would not mean that it was an impossible task to achieve. He just proved that, didn't he?

I understand Nigeria's problems are enormous and it took us about 30 years to get here. But that does not mean that the right guy cannot solve majority of our problems in 4 years. I started a topic the other day about GEJs seeming renewed vigor in governance. He should keep it up. I don't want to see any master plan or projects in the 'pipeline' as election achievements. Let us see good solid performance, then many will walk over to his side, and the rest of the critics will shut up.

Thank you .... and the poster you responded to is one of those guilty of what you identified i.e blind and unobjective azz-licking. You are right that the right President can make giant strides. That is an absolutely truthful observation even if those into self-deceit want to deceive themselves and others with the discredtied excuse that " GEJ can't solve all Nigeria's problem in 2 days" or "GJ did not cause all the problems" garbage.

First of all, bright and exposed observers will tell you that it is about the major transformational actions GEJ is deliberately not taking that makes ambitious folks, home and abroad, and even non-Nigerians, condemn him as a very poor leader. Secondly, GEJ was not elected for anything else other than to solve problems so it is pointless for anyone to justify GEJ's lack of leadership with the cop-out of "he did not cause" the problem. All in all, I think some Nigerians should literally 'get out more'. It may make them appreciate what a poor leader GEJ is.

(1) (2) (Reply)

PDP Governors To Meet In Enugu On Sunday / See Fashola's House In Ikoyi That Lagos State Built For Him As Former Governor / Olu Falae: Zoning Advocates Are Pursuing Selfish Interests

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.