Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,014 members, 7,799,463 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 09:49 PM

Fashola Visits Ladipo Market (Pictures) - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola Visits Ladipo Market (Pictures) (25343 Views)

Fashola Visits Thermal Station Enugu State (photos) / Fashola Visits Niger State In Traditional Attire (photos) / Fashola Visits Egbin Power Plant,Says Government Will 'Settle Its Debts'(photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fashola Visits Ladipo Market (Pictures) by VirginFinder: 12:02am On Mar 05, 2013
seguno2:

Yes- simple answer.
Right now the commissioner is a dash to the Igbo people hence they are supposed to be grateful.
If they elect people from their area they are likely to be more responsive to their needs rather than just make them pay taxes, rates and levies only to disappear and do nothing.
Then, after ABANDONING their RESPONSIBILITIES,
the selected (as opposed to elected) LGA chairman, councillors and legislators will call oga gomina to come do Nollywood cinema for t

Igbos have always contested for political positions in Lagos including the governorship position and they have always failed woefully.
Re: Fashola Visits Ladipo Market (Pictures) by seguno2: 7:35am On Mar 05, 2013
africannubian: i know a guy whose whole container of spare parts was seized and [size=13pt]he was fined thousands of euros[/size] to clean the engine oil in germany just because the truck transporting his container to the port was dripping black oil over the roads

Did you read somewhere that the Mushin LGA collects rent for the shops and refuse disposal fees (same as "fined thousands of euros"wink are paid to the government agency that ABANDONED its duty
The problem in Nigeria is that the docile citizens pay for services to government agencies and they get nothing in return YET expect to do the same work they already paid for. The most amazing thing is people in diaspora who should know better showing that they live away from Nigeria but have not changed their enslavement mentality. No wonder MOST of them stay in places that look very much like where they fled from on the dark continent.

these traders have been indiscriminately dumping refuse including environmentally harmful refuse without a care for several years…

They don't care yet they pay regularly for waste disposal to government agencies. Are you for real

Nigeria can never improve with this silly regressive mindset of terming everything with ethnic/tribal sentiments

Is it not a "silly regressive mindset" to pay for common services to a government and that government ABANDONS its duty while forcing you to do its work
Re: Fashola Visits Ladipo Market (Pictures) by seguno2: 8:18am On Mar 05, 2013
Virgin Finder:

Igbos have always contested for political positions in Lagos including the governorship position and they have always failed woefully.

Do you mind giving just a few names for the last LG and state elections?
Thanks.
Re: Fashola Visits Ladipo Market (Pictures) by lawbabs: 9:05am On Mar 05, 2013
I am so disappointed in some of the bigots here in Nairaland. When Lagos State Government shut down Mile 12 market, they didnt shout because the traders there are not Igbos or what?

It is time for all of us to become real and objective in our critism.

Have a blessed day.
Re: Fashola Visits Ladipo Market (Pictures) by omonnakoda: 9:10am On Mar 05, 2013
When you pay for refuse disposal that is for domestic waste not industrial waste like scrap metal.
The place is a market not a scrapyard. The kind of waste a scrapyad generates like oil and so on are your responsibility.
Even the Army pays for refuse disposal do they ask the local government to dispose of old tanks and bombs etc. Does the local council dispose of chemical from chemical industries or dead bodies. Does government clean up the mess of poultries or piggeries ?
The truth is if the marketers restrict themselves to selling MANUFACTURED parts in packets/packages things would be fine. They sell what is essentially scrap and scrap should NOT be sold in a market but a scrap yard
like the one below located in private premises on industrial estates NOT markets. In all the countries I know they are private and self cleaning and they pay taxes too. You pay tax for the PRIVILEGE of doing business,government protection NOT for government to clean your mess. In fact whether or not you pay tax you may be liable in Tort law for health hazards to neighbours/employees

Just I said before. Government does not clean up for Shell,or Mobil or Seven Up or Coca Cola etc who pay even more taxes. Bottom line stop INDUSTRIAL activity like welding and other activities,offload containers elsewhere or make sure that imported engines are completely drained of oil and fuel before bringing them to market.

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Visits Ladipo Market (Pictures) by Nobody: 11:17am On Mar 05, 2013
babapupa:

You can repeat this rubbish a million times, you are still on the wrong side of cleanliness and personal hygiene.

No. YOU are the illiterate on the wrong side of basic common sense as well as knowledge of the role of government in society. Ignorant numbskull.
Re: Fashola Visits Ladipo Market (Pictures) by DuduNegro: 12:14pm On Mar 05, 2013
seguno2:

Did you read somewhere that the Mushin LGA collects rent for the shops and refuse disposal fees (same as "fined thousands of euros"wink are paid to the government agency that ABANDONED its duty
The problem in Nigeria is that the docile citizens pay for services to government agencies and they get nothing in return YET expect to do the same work they already paid for. The most amazing thing is people in diaspora who should know better showing that they live away from Nigeria but have not changed their enslavement mentality. No wonder MOST of them stay in places that look very much like where they fled from on the dark continent.

They don't care yet they pay regularly for waste disposal to government agencies. Are you for real

Is it not a "silly regressive mindset" to pay for common services to a government and that government ABANDONS its duty while forcing you to do its work

they are supposed to pay tax and levies and they have not been paying. They have been visited and invited several times to meet with officials to discuss and their leaders played "big and bad", like they are some mafias or something..... now we know who the real "big and bad" is.
Re: Fashola Visits Ladipo Market (Pictures) by snakova(m): 12:18pm On Mar 05, 2013
Fashola for president 2015 cheesy
Re: Fashola Visits Ladipo Market (Pictures) by omonnakoda: 12:30pm On Mar 05, 2013
There is a HUGE difference between "REFUSE" and INDUSTRIAL WASTE.
Discarded engines,gearboxes and suchlike are NOT refuse. Just as dead bodies are not refuse.
Do we ask the council to come and remove our relatives' corpses because we "pay tax".?
Re: Fashola Visits Ladipo Market (Pictures) by ibitomisi: 3:45pm On Mar 05, 2013
umm my comments has never been welcomed or like anytime i walked nairaland am always scared of people's reaction towards me
Re: Fashola Visits Ladipo Market (Pictures) by careidon: 4:09pm On Mar 05, 2013
@omonnakoda ---God bless u for ur posts.
i shld only add that MANAGING waste generation is the biggest solution to safe & clean environments not individual/govt cleaning efforts . Ketu median for example (what cleaning shld the govt be doing to such & other like places daily when the issue is just that of people & waste generation. Not endless cleaning).

Also these mkts (Ladipo inclusive) are all over-populated to make even the road accessible anymore (not to talk of having walkways like pics rossike was showing us). When such walk-ways are provided, the mkters find a way to turn them to stalls/shops again! We saw the proximity of some shops to the drainage/canal in the pics...

We all might need shove up our early sch. training as kids-when we are taught to manage our wastes by using the waste-bin or keep in our bags without saying we can litter (throw liquid, papers & sweet/biscuit wrappers around) just because we've paid fees or have sch cleaners to do the cleaning. I blv even now most of us wld not approve our kids being trained/taught otherwise in my opinion.
Re: Fashola Visits Ladipo Market (Pictures) by omonnakoda: 4:35pm On Mar 05, 2013
careidon: @omonnakoda ---God bless u for ur posts.
i shld only add that MANAGING waste generation is the biggest solution to safe & clean environments not individual/govt cleaning efforts . Ketu median for example (what cleaning shld the govt be doing to such & other like places daily when the issue is just that of people & waste generation. Not endless cleaning).

Also these mkts (Ladipo inclusive) are all over-populated to make even the road accessible anymore (not to talk of having walkways like pics rossike was showing us). When such walk-ways are provided, the mkters find a way to turn them to stalls/shops again! We saw the proximity of some shops to the drainage/canal in the pics...

We all might need shove up our early sch. training as kids-when we are taught to manage our wastes by using the waste-bin or keep in our bags without saying we can litter (throw liquid, papers & sweet/biscuit wrappers around) just because we've paid fees or have sch cleaners to do the cleaning. I blv even now most of us wld not approve our kids being trained/taught otherwise in my opinion.

It is important to make a distinction between industrial waste and refuse. In this Ladipo Instance the government is failing to apply the law because of Ibo sentiments. So people are allowed to carry out activity like welding,grinding,re assembly etc all in the name of trading. The starting point is to call things by their correct name.
I will not dwell so much on criminal activities like cutting and rejoining of vehicle engines and deliberate misrepresenation to the public since the issue is waste. Suffice it to say that such activities as well as the dismantling of vehicles take place in what is supposed to be a "MARKET" and should discontinue.

WASTE; The laws of waste and their disposal in Lagos and Nigeria are surprisingly quite modern and comprehensive. If the law is followed traders in Ladipo should only sell NEW parts and NOT tokunboh: FACT. They now see this as a right frorgetting that that is a residential neighbourhood by law. In Lagos state if a car is registered to you and it is written off it is YOUR responsibilty to pay for its scrapping.Many do not know and just abandon the vehicles by the road. From the pictures we see things like tires etc on the road. Those kinds of material are industrial waste with a different disposal protocol to refuse such as moinmoin leaves and cigarette boxes.
The future of this business is that several small players will drop and those that are left acquire THEIR OWN premises to operate a JunkYard subject to existing regulation/supervision.
Looking at the safety elememt you see many young men daily lifting loads that should be carried by specialiazed equipment.This is done quite crudely with damage to their health,goods and the environment. To progress the business men will have to invest in the same kind of equipment that are used to load those containers so cleverly.Those in the trade know what I mean. The vision of such a market will cost billions of Naira but will pay off in the long run.
That is a crossroad decision. In reality much of this is happening because there is inadequate infrastructure to evacuate the Lagos ports and so ,many imports accummulate in Lagos by default. Many are correct in advocating for import entry points in the east to some extent they are right and I hope it can happen though the best solution is the actual manufature of parts in NIgeria. Our country cries for entrepreneurs

1 Like

Re: Fashola Visits Ladipo Market (Pictures) by bloggernaija: 5:48pm On Mar 05, 2013
People are saying the government should clean the place. If fashola come clean the place for them. The cries will even be worse. Na bulldozer na him e go take clear the whole place for them.
Re: Fashola Visits Ladipo Market (Pictures) by EkoIle1: 6:08pm On Mar 05, 2013
ROSSIKE:

No. YOU are the illiterate on the wrong side of basic common sense as well as knowledge of the role of government in society. Ignorant numbskull.

Relax man, you've already convinced me that you are a dirty piece of shiiitt and you need the government to wipe off your asss when you shitttt too. Oponu posting pictures of street sweeper trucks to clean up spare parts and mangled junks. You are dumber than dirt even with all your silly internet pictures..

I bet your house smell like shitttt you dirty scumbag...lmao
Re: Fashola Visits Ladipo Market (Pictures) by Wadeoye(m): 7:35pm On Mar 05, 2013
See what y.ibos turned Lagos to... They should not be allowed back to that place.
Re: Fashola Visits Ladipo Market (Pictures) by baggins6535: 9:58pm On Mar 05, 2013
please take time to read this peace ...

With the help of these investment plans, seasoned as well as novice online traders can garner huge profits. you can be assured that you trade or invest in those deals which are most lucrative.

m c d a v e i n v e s t . c o m
Re: Fashola Visits Ladipo Market (Pictures) by africannubian: 12:57am On Mar 06, 2013
seguno2:

i am not holding brief for the govt,the point is sorting out the situation on ground as easily and seamlessly as possible will you wait on govt for donkey years if they refuse to do their duty? besides have you compared what traders pay to muslin local govt in relation to the services required to clear the market? i have posted a link in the previous page of the city of london budget check how much is budgeted for cleaning the streets then compare to the total allocation of not mushn local govt but lagos state govt/lawma
seguno2:
one of the most fundamental things i learnt in a british university is not just the book knowledge but taking the initiative and getting things done without necessarily waiting for govt,unless we are being clueless we all know that even with the corruption and what not,lago state budget cannot realistically cope with all that needs to be done…migration to lagos is out of control and still continuing……traders and business ppl never ever pay the correct fees they are supposed to govt..if i was chairman of those traders it behoves me to clean the whole place up and make it conducive because we will be the first to enjoy it..a fraction of what they have lost in the couple of days of not trading would not only have cleaned the market but ongoing weekly or bi weekly cleaning as well..in a park not far from my house groups of teenagers gather there in d evenings smoking and drinking alcohol just last week i saw about 4 white retirees with black bean bags picking the litter on my way to work when i got back and passed through the park it was cleaned and they even hanged extra bean bags on the wooden post demarcating the park where ppl throw rubbish that is taking the initiative..
seguno2:
so in your own peculiar view,the muslin local govt have not done any single thing in that market then?? besides referring to my point above do a comparative analysis to how much traders in the market pay in levys and fees to govt then compare to how much a shop owner in liverpool street market in london pays to the govt…apart from the almost 40% page tax the borough which is the equivalent of a local govt then you will begin to appreciate both cases btw the info is available on the net
seguno2:
it is a regressive mindset equating perceived govt clampdown which is long overdue with tribal sentiments
Re: Fashola Visits Ladipo Market (Pictures) by africannubian: 12:58am On Mar 06, 2013
omonnakoda: There is a HUGE difference between "REFUSE" and INDUSTRIAL WASTE.
Discarded engines,gearboxes and suchlike are NOT refuse. Just as dead bodies are not refuse.
Do we ask the council to come and remove our relatives' corpses because we "pay tax".?
Re: Fashola Visits Ladipo Market (Pictures) by omonnakoda: 12:26pm On Mar 06, 2013
Those who are interested can look at this document

http://www.enr.gov.nt.ca/_live/documents/content/industrial_waste_guidelines.pdf

which states among other things;

Roles and Responsibilities
Environmental Protection Service
The Environmental Protection Service (EPS) of the Department of Resources, Wildlife and
Economic Development is the Government of
the Northwest Territories' (GNWT) agency
responsible for initiatives which control the discharge of contaminants and their impact on the
natural environment. EPS is responsible fo
r ensuring that environmentally acceptable
management procedures, emission levels and disposal methods are maintained. By practise
the EPS's programs are applied primarily to
Commissioner's Land, lands administered by
municipal governments or GNWT undertakings.
Legislative authority is provided by the
Environmental Protection Act
(EPA) andPesticide Act. Contact EPS for a listing of relevantregulations and guidelines.
Industry
The responsibility
for proper waste management rests with the generator
and should be considered part of the cost of doing business.

This is from Canada and is similar in most civilzed places
Re: Fashola Visits Ladipo Market (Pictures) by omonnakoda: 12:31pm On Mar 06, 2013
omonnakoda: Those who are interested can look at this document

http://www.enr.gov.nt.ca/_live/documents/content/industrial_waste_guidelines.pdf

which states among other things;

Roles and Responsibilities
Environmental Protection Service
The Environmental Protection Service (EPS) of the Department of Resources, Wildlife and
Economic Development is the Government of
the Northwest Territories' (GNWT) agency
responsible for initiatives which control the discharge of contaminants and their impact on the
natural environment. EPS is responsible fo
r ensuring that environmentally acceptable
management procedures, emission levels and disposal methods are maintained. By practise
the EPS's programs are applied primarily to
Commissioner's Land, lands administered by
municipal governments or GNWT undertakings.
Legislative authority is provided by the
Environmental Protection Act
(EPA) andPesticide Act. Contact EPS for a listing of relevantregulations and guidelines.
Industry
The responsibility
for proper waste management rests with the generator
and should be considered part of the cost of doing business.

This is from Canada and is similar in most civilzed places
Re: Fashola Visits Ladipo Market (Pictures) by omonnakoda: 12:34pm On Mar 06, 2013
Waste Duty of Care
General Duty of Care (EPA 1990)

Everyone who produces, imports, keeps, stores, transports, treats or disposes of waste must take all reasonable steps to ensure that waste is managed properly. This duty of care is provided under section 34 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 (EPA). It also applies to anyone who acts as a broker and has control of waste. A breach of the duty of care could lead to a penalty of up to £5,000 if convicted in the Magistrates Court or an unlimited fine if convicted in the Crown Court.
This is the position in the UK

http://www.environmentlaw.org.uk/rte.asp?id=83
Re: Fashola Visits Ladipo Market (Pictures) by baysol: 2:02pm On Mar 06, 2013
Jah Man: I guess your Fashola will soon close Otto food market also because that one is too filthy for a food market.He might not do that since the traders constitute roughly 50:50 between his people and Igbos.
If you have gone to buy something at Ladipo,you will pity those Igbo boys.
After purchasing some motor parts,I was stopped by some hoodlums who demanded to know the worth of what I bought.My customer intervened and they collected their normal fee.I mean those jobless Yoruba omo-oniles collect fees from not only the traders but buyers. What are the levies meant for? To clean up the place ofcourse.
Aside from these levies,the traders are also meant to do weekly clean up every Thursday to clean their environment before opening shop. The leaders enforce this.
But tell me how far they can clean up the place when the levies paid are shared from Alausa down to the 'Area boys'? Then the dirty neighbourhood dump their bags of gabbage inside for them to clean up. Same rubbish I noticed in one area in Lagos.
It is a subtle plot for Fashola to close their shops with their goods in there while He and his cronies think about what to convert the place to. If eventually it retains its status as spare part market,then those Igbo traders will pay through their noses to get a tiny slot. Ask Tejuosho traders and understand.
I dislike the subtle way Fashola and his team are making those Igbo traders to suffer and every time you want them to clap for him because he appointed 'their brother' as a commissioner.
Even in finding a school for your ward is now tougher than getting a US visa in Lagos. Imagine after paying an annual tax in 7-digits to this ungrateful state,all the roads in my area are death traps,area boys are ignored to operate freely,while I cannot enjoy the benefit of sending a househelp to a decent public school.
Let no untamed surfer tell me to relocate to my place. I am ready to do that for a very long time if only my kind of job is not situated in head office but in regions.
Enough of this hype of Fashola being a performing governor,he is plain annoying.

How can you write such a colossal lie to defend what is indefensible? You Igbo people are born liers. This is a perfect opportunity for you double standards to leave lagos and go back to your erosion ravage east. Sebi una say una dey important to the economy of lagos. Why Lagos no count cost but Igbo traders na una they count costs of closure of Ladipo market. We are tired of you wicked criminals among us in the

1 Like

Re: Fashola Visits Ladipo Market (Pictures) by seguno2: 2:21pm On Mar 06, 2013
africannubian:
i am not holding brief for the govt,the point is sorting out the situation on ground as easily and seamlessly as possible will you wait on govt for donkey years if they refuse to do their duty? besides have you compared what traders pay to muslin local govt in relation to the services required to clear the market? i have posted a link in the previous page of the city of london budget check how much is budgeted for cleaning the streets then compare to the total allocation of not mushn local govt but lagos state govt/lawma

one of the most fundamental things i learnt in a british university is not just the book knowledge but taking the initiative and getting things done without necessarily waiting for govt,unless we are being clueless we all know that even with the corruption and what not,lago state budget cannot realistically cope with all that needs to be done…migration to lagos is out of control and still continuing……traders and business ppl never ever pay the correct fees they are supposed to govt..if i was chairman of those traders it behoves me to clean the whole place up and make it conducive because we will be the first to enjoy it..a fraction of what they have lost in the couple of days of not trading would not only have cleaned the market but ongoing weekly or bi weekly cleaning as well..in a park not far from my house groups of teenagers gather there in d evenings smoking and drinking alcohol just last week i saw about 4 white retirees with black bean bags picking the litter on my way to work when i got back and passed through the park it was cleaned and they even hanged extra bean bags on the wooden post demarcating the park where ppl throw rubbish that is taking the initiative..

so in your own peculiar view,the muslin local govt have not done any single thing in that market then?? besides referring to my point above do a comparative analysis to how much traders in the market pay in levys and fees to govt then compare to how much a shop owner in liverpool street market in london pays to the govt…apart from the almost 40% page tax the borough which is the equivalent of a local govt then you will begin to appreciate both cases btw the info is available on the net
it is a regressive mindset equating perceived govt clampdown which is long overdue with tribal sentiments

All you have written further shows that Fashola and the ACN people in Mushin LGA and other councils do not know what their work is or at best do not know how to do their work.
Why do they not raise the amount paid for sewage disposal if what was paid in the past was not enough?
What exactly did they do with the amount received in the past to the extent that waste accumulated so much?
Why did they not have sanitation enforcement agents to inform/educate/sensitise the markets on the appropriate laws and then ensure COMPLIANCE

As I said earlier Fashola and the Mushin LGA chairman need to follow Pope Benedict's example if they cannot handle simple governance issue of keeping PUBLIC market place clean at ALL TIMES.
Re: Fashola Visits Ladipo Market (Pictures) by africannubian: 10:27pm On Mar 06, 2013
seguno2:

All you have written further shows that Fashola and the ACN people in Mushin LGA and other councils do not know what their work is or at best do not know how to do their work.
Why do they not raise the amount paid for sewage disposal if what was paid in the past was not enough?
What exactly did they do with the amount received in the past to the extent that waste accumulated so much?
Why did they not have sanitation enforcement agents to inform/educate/sensitise the markets on the appropriate laws and then ensure COMPLIANCE

As I said earlier Fashola and the Mushin LGA chairman need to follow Pope Benedict's example if they cannot handle simple governance issue of keeping PUBLIC market place clean at ALL TIMES.
dont get me wrong I never stated that fash govt are totally blameless and I am sure fashola himself will agree that his govt have not done enough however my point is that in this case the govt and the traders carry an equal share of the blame..
I gave an example before and I will repeat it again because it is very important ask anybody you know who has a shop or business in the United Kingdom that I am familiar with and they will tell you what they pay ...a shop selling hot I.e cooked food will pay a totally different local govt levy from those selling cold food and drinks this is due to the fact that the hot food will generate more rubbish apart from that there are costs directly tied to renting shops in particular areas this is different from the normal tax and other fees which goes directly to hmrc in some areas especially London,Manchester Birmingham e.t.c what you will pay to the borough in charge in fees is equal to if not more than the rent..

Secondly pls make sure to confirm my assertions independently...if you are caught disposing off engine oil improperly it is enough for the police to fine you in UK in Germany u could be jailed and fined this is the responsibility of the traders not govt whenever govt steps in to do the clean up they charge the costs which is normally higher to the offending party in ladipo traders dispose off their toxic waste engine oil,dangerous parts e.t.c indiscriminately because there is no one to call them up on it over the years this has piled up and become an eyesore and health risk...

Hope you realise the rot and build up of the rubbish has been there before even tinubu who did not do much then fashola

You stated that the relevant agencies should have sensitised and educated the traders but if you have gone through the 6 pages on this thread you will realise people already have their ingrained believes which cannot be changed so what is a govt to ..

A clean environment will allow more customers to visit their market,it will give the traders a healthier environment and also the neighbourhood who suffer the brunt of it when they have left for their homes...if the president/execs of the traders had organised a PPP or a fully run privately refuse collection and disposal unit they will make additional funds for their association and should have been vindicated in this instance
Re: Fashola Visits Ladipo Market (Pictures) by LocalChamp: 10:20pm On Jul 29, 2013
ping

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Shocking: Fayose Claims Chibok Girls Abduction Was Fabricated To Oust Jonathan / What Jonathan, Makarfi, PDP Governors Discussed In Caucus Meeting / Pictures Of The Damaged Lagos-Badagry Expressway

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.