Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,899 members, 7,802,912 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:06 AM

Ipad Or Galaxy Tab? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Ipad Or Galaxy Tab? (872 Views)

Samsung S3 Or Galaxy Note 1 / Galaxy Note 2 Or Galaxy S3? / 'nokia Asha 311 Or Galaxy Pocket.' PLEASE ADVICE! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Ipad Or Galaxy Tab? by naijagadgetboi: 4:02am On Mar 04, 2013
Last weekend, a friend of mine told me he would like to buy an internet tablet but wasn't quite sure which to get between an Ipad and a Galaxy Tab (from Samsung). While i've given him a piece of my mind for even considering the apple option (lolz, don't mind me, just joking!), i realized that some other people out there might be facing a similar quandary after deciding to get one of these two awesome gadgets. I'll take a look at different aspects of the Ipad/Galaxy Tab experience and try to help such people come to a decision (or poke a finger in the eyes of iSheep...kidding!).

The versions in focus are the most recent of both (Ipad 4 and Galaxy Tab 10.1)

Cost

The galaxy tabs (all it's variants) is cheaper than the Ipad on every count; cost of acquisition (how much you buy it), cost of maintenance/repairs and cost of accessories.

Design

I love the galaxy tab. I really do. But, as regards design, I think Apple did a better job with their iPad than samsung did with the tab. I mean, it might just be me but does any one else think the tab's fram is a bit too wide? I feel Samsung could have sacrificed more of that width for more screen. It looks especially tacky on the white version of the tab. Besides, the iPad 4 (like pretty much all the other iPads) looks like it was created to be used both in landscape and portrait orientations. But the length to width ratio of the tab makes it look like it's meant only to be used in landscape...not really cool, in my books.

Data Intensiveness

For those that don't understand, this is the device's propensity to use up data. It's pretty much how fast your internet subscription would expire while using one of these devices. If you ask me, between the iPad and the Galaxy Tab, there's really not much to choose when talking about data intensiveness. Both devices are data intensive, which means if you are planning to get one of these babies, you really shouldn't be considering a N1000, 100mb subscription if you truly want to enjoy either device. While I know there are apps that help control data usage on android devices, i'm not too sure if there are for iOS (iPad). No winner here.

Apps

Normally, I would say no winners here either; both iPad (iOS) and the Galaxy Tab (android) have loads and loads of apps in their app store and Play store respectively. However, where I think the Galaxy Tab (android) pips the Ipad (iOS) is the ease with which you can get free apps or get premium apps for free. If you are the crooked type (hehe) that doesn't like buying apps, you can find most premium android apps online for free (if you know where to look). With iOS, however, it's much more difficult. Tab wins here.

Memory

Both Devices pack a good sized internal memory as they don't come with memory expansion options. The Tab has just two variants: the 16Gb and 32gb variants. The Ipad 4 gives more internal memory options, at their respective costs. The four variants are 16gb, 32gb,64gb and 128gb. Both come with 1gb of RAM. Seems like the iPad wins here, for having more choices as regards device internal memory.

Camera

Both devices come with both front and back facing cameras. However, the Tab's back camera is a disappointing 3.15MP. The Ipad 4 on the other hand, packs a 5.0MP camera and a 1.2MP front camera. This one goes to iPad.

Screen Size

There are no winners here as preference is relative. Some people like wide screens others don't. The ipad is 9.5 inches long and 7.3 inches wide, while the Tab is 10.10 inches long and 6.9 inches wwide. The Tab is obviously longer but the iPad is wider, a small advantage in the design in my opinion that makes it look more suited for both landscape and portrait orientations.

Availability

No winners here either. Both are readily available in most (if not all) major mobile phones/gadgets retailers.

My Recommendation:

I love android, so naturally, I would think Galaxy Tab. However, if you want better screen resolution, a device thaat looks good in both landscape and portrait orientations, a pretty good camera and a wider range of internal memory options when choosing a device, I would advise you get an iPad 4. You must be able to cough up at least N100,000 for it as well. However, if you are looking for something that you can customize and tweak easily to suit you, get bucketloads of apps foor free (or find them somewhere else if they are not) without having to totally empty your bank account and withdraw your life savings, you really should get a Galaxy Tab.

I would still personally recommend the Tab, though smiley

http://naijagadgetbox.de.nu/index.php/hot-gadgets/item/81-ipad-or-galaxy-tab#sthash.Jk1HYk7u.dpbs
[b][/b]

(1) (Reply)

An Advice To All Blackberry Users / Please Help Me Choose Nokia Lumi 920, Blackberry Z10, Blackberry Q10, Samsung S4 / Am Having Problem With My Sony Ericsson

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.