Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,738 members, 7,802,223 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:16 AM

Ladipo: 32 Bakassi Boys Jailed - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ladipo: 32 Bakassi Boys Jailed (1991 Views)

Crisis: Lagos Threatens To Shut Ladipo Market. / Lagos Shuts Ladipo Market, Arrests Bakassi Boys.... / Facts Reveal That Bakassi Belongs To Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ladipo: 32 Bakassi Boys Jailed by kettykings: 12:39pm On Mar 05, 2013
Dudu_Negro:

the only business igbo did pre-war was trasportation. this is where ojukwu father made his money and he was in lagos. back then igbos were the porters off loading cement and other imported goods between dock warehouses and the lorries right there in apapa port and on quay side in marina. they were also porters at balogun, ereko, idumota, ebute ero.....pushing dollies fullyloaded with onions, kola, and other goods between the markets on island and iddo railway terminus where they are loaded on trains heading north or those just arriving. your business connections with ports in lagos and uptil about 1980 had nothing to do with depth of the harbour. you were the alarus pushing omolankes with loaded goods. ijebus, egbas, ijeshas, igbominas, hausas were the traders and shop owners. you have the lebanese and indians and arabs that traded primarily in textiles and jewelries.

hausas held the iddo markets.
ijebus held the oke arin, ereko and parts of ebute ero and oju olobun
egbas held ebute ero, idumota and balogun
ijesha and igbomina controlled jankara and oja oba
lebanese were on martins street and oluwole and idumota
indians were trading on southside of dosunmu, pedro and into agarawu
arabs and turks were in oluwole to taiwo olowo to abibu oki.

tell me which market on island igbo had business in prior to you getting into spare parts in late 70s and early 80s.

on the mainland of lagos.....ilaje, ijebu, egba, bini/urhobo, ijesha, these were the people that ran business there.

never ever try to rewrite the story of lagos where im present, you will fail.

in addition to all these merchants, then we had trade depots for GBO at oja oba on adeniji adele, there was PZ at both balogun and iddo, there was SCOA at marina.

let me stop! grin cheesy.

Onitsha has always been a very big commercial city even before 1914 , a quick check in history books can confirm that , even as at 1929 Aba was not just a thriving commercial City but a city with that had a formal Taxation system for traders and Businessmen there would not have been need for the Aba women riots in 1929 coming back to your arguments. if igbos were only into transportation business what happened to the Palm Oil produced in the Eastern Region and the Coal which was being exported from Enugu Mines , the coal was exported from Port Harcourt because Port Harcourt had a port that had the capacity to accomodate the Big ships that were used for haulage then.

tell me which market on island igbo had business in prior to you getting into spare parts in late 70s and early 80s.
Igbos did not need to come to Lagos before the Uncivil war because the East had a thriving economy with a thriving Sea port , The Easterner started migrating to Lagos after the war when the
the Federal Government implemented Earth Scorching policies against the East and the South south headquarters of the oil industry was moved to Lagos , indigenisation policy and banning of importation of certain items that boosted the eastern economy
Re: Ladipo: 32 Bakassi Boys Jailed by bloggernaija: 1:04pm On Mar 05, 2013
alex101: @ the bolded, this is what these Yorubas don't get,,,if not for the war, Igbos will not be flocking to Lagos in order to access the sea port, as there would have been a functioning port in the east. After the war, there was/still a calculated process put in place by the owners of nigeria to starve the east of the necessary infrastructures.

@ post, this is where I must say Ndigbo must pressure GEJ's government to open up another seaport in the east and internationalize the Enugu airport. Ndigbo must also have to rethink their penchant for investing profusely outside the east,,,,a word is enough for the wise

Lagos has always been a maritime hub even before precolonial times.so if you think the commercial viability of Lagos stated before the Nigeria ,then you need to go and re-read your history. Lagos is a natural harbour which mean it does not silt.very little dredging is required to keep it going and it is very close to other regional hubs in Freetown,Ghana,Benin republic etc.
On the econocmic front ,the southwest is such that there is a balance in savings and consumption. People save as much as they consume. That is why per capital,even if you remove lagos,most of the rest non oil taxes like VAT ,revenues from NEPA(power) etc are collected in the southwest.
Therefore, the traders are not in the southwest because of the port, they are in there because that is where the market is.
Also ,it was the total breakdown and destruction of the nigerian economy that led to an influx of petty sole trader. The likes of Barter,Phillips,textile industries,Peugeot ,Volkswagen,Beecham ,Pfizer etc were manufacturing concern in Lagos prior to independence and in the old western region and they sold directly to the customers via the departmental stores in front of their factory.it is safe to say that the destruction of the manufacturing sector is what has led to the situation where every Tom dick and Harry is an importer of goods .especially when just a cursory check will reveal that many of these goods are substandard or fake products . Many of my friends hardly buy big ticket items in nigeria anymore. clothes are bought in london,cars are bought through friends in america,mobile phone and computers from europe.It is safe to say that if there was a move to PH port like you just written, many of these companies will return. The fact is the world has moved from petty sole trader to larger departmental stores and shopping malls. The benefits to the state of a business employing just one person is not as great as you think .example is oncoming opening of india's retail market to foriegn companies.the government knows that it will be able to collect more revenues (PAYE,VAT)these companies than from a sole trader. Therefore, do not think that the traders are so important because believe me, they are not.
Re: Ladipo: 32 Bakassi Boys Jailed by DuduNegro: 1:33pm On Mar 05, 2013
kettykings:

Onitsha has always been a very big commercial city even before 1914 , a quick check in history books can confirm that , even as at 1929 Aba was not just a thriving commercial City but a city with that had a formal Taxation system for traders and Businessmen there would not have been need for the Aba women riots in 1929 coming back to your arguments. if igbos were only into transportation business what happened to the Palm Oil produced in the Eastern Region and the Coal which was being exported from Enugu Mines , the coal was exported from Port Harcourt because Port Harcourt had a port that had the capacity to accomodate the Big ships that were used for haulage then.

Igbos did not need to come to Lagos before the Uncivil war because the East had a thriving economy with a thriving Sea port , The Easterner started migrating to Lagos after the war when the
the Federal Government implemented Earth Scorching policies against the East and the South south headquarters of the oil industry was moved to Lagos , indigenisation policy and banning of importation of certain items that boosted the eastern economy

palm oil was produced all over the south and in commercial quantity. there were plenty igbos in lagos like i said, they just were not shop owners. if there were not many then sir ojukwu wiuld not have been successful as he was transporting back and forth.

let me tell you what drove you to lagos after the war. prior to and during the war a lot of igbos were sent out of lagos in what the western leaders believed to be ungratefullness and insults. the jubilation and cheering of igbos to the face of their hosts occurred across the country. remember that some of you had properties in lagos.

after the war a refugee situation resulted. there were far too many igbos at home than the land could support and so you attempted to go back where you previously had footprints. your return and access was limited and reposession of your properties were denied. this was the case everywhere except west. you had unlimited access in west and a full reposession of the properties left behind. this acted as an incentive for people who could not get full rights of return in north and portharcourt to head to lagos. each onethat settled in ended up pulling many more from village to come to lagos and each of the new sets also acted as recruiting agents for those still in village. so your settlement in lagos has nothing to do with indigenization or 20pound policy. west gave you a life support and safetynet that other regions denied to you.

1 Like

Re: Ladipo: 32 Bakassi Boys Jailed by cocoduck: 2:50pm On Mar 05, 2013
Dudu_Negro:

you do have a point. Now is the time to make it happen, biafra or development in east, whichever can happen first. Look at the following list and tell me why your region is not developed. Do you think this level of neglect in east will happen, respectively to north and west, if Hausa or Yoruba occupy, in order, these top tier government posts?

Presidency - East
Finance - East
Aviation - East
Petroleum - East
Health - East
Labour - East
Power - East
Science & Tech - East

Everything you need in East to develop that land is housed in one or combination of these cabinets and these are your sons and daughters. So who truly is your enemy, who is holding back your development in East? The fact of the matter is progress independently and you need a progressive land and people to latch on to and on whose back you can make a rise and prosperity. You owe those people an immense gratitude because without them you would not have made it. If you were left in East or made to go run business there you cannot make it. Therefore be thankful to God and show gratitude to those who continue to facilitate your prosperity on their land. They have developed their land, whether with federal money or not. Your turn is here to do same and everything you need is in place, so if you fail to and you loose these positions, then dont blame Nigeria, blame your fellow Easterners who wasted the opportunity and failed to do anything when they had the reins of power and trillions of the treasury to make it happen for you.

look mate, you think from UR nose or anus or what? I said Biafra is the best thing that will Happen to Nigerians in general,
so, if U are talking about development in the south east, what tangible FG infrastructure exists in the South East, name one please and tell me how it contributes meaningfully to economic development in NIGGA area, let alone the South East. OBJ, during all the 8 YRS he wasted in office, what did he do for US, if not installing his stooges in important positions,( of course not all Igbos agree in Biafra, as far as their pockets are filled with dirty money, so he takes the Judases and installs them in high positions, ie NOI had to quit bcause she refused to dance to his tunes). It is not enough to get some persons into certain offices but it requires political will from the CIC.
And what do you mean by you cannot progress independently and you need a progressive land and people to latch on to and on whose back you can make a rise and prosperity. That is the most silly of comments i have ever read on nairaland. Man that is BULLCRAPP. Well, lets say, OK let us try it. Just as I said if we take Biafra, in a little while we make it the best in at least Africa.
If I were left in the east i wouldn't have made it, well sorry to BUSt UR AaRSE, I'm in the South East, and I am comfortable, Owerri for that matter.

You must be very high on aluminum foil, look at you, those who facilitate my AArse. or those who do not want to see Us develop and use our full potentials. look mate U must be crazy. You have developed UR land with spoils from the uncivil war,when Ur douche-bag sage criminally connerd every good thing in the land for U people. man SHUT UP and F'UC'K U.
I blame NiGGA area because it is a lie, even UR criminal rat poison drinking SAGe said it.
Re: Ladipo: 32 Bakassi Boys Jailed by alex101(m): 3:07pm On Mar 05, 2013
Dudu_Negro:

the war has ended, another one has not started. a man of eastern origin is the president. the finance ministey and economy of the nation is in your daughters hand, the minister of aviation is your daughter, the minister of oil is your daughter, the speaker of house is your son.....what are you waiting for?

why with your sons and daughters holding the reins of power at national level you are still depending on a yoruba at state level to make a living?

when yoruba get to national stage we are going to expand and develop everywhere but we definitely are never going to leave yorubaland deprived of what it needs.

if they truly are thinking, shouldn't the centennary memorial city be built in east, since that was the first seat of nigeria? why do your brothers and sisters think abuja is the best place for such national edifice?

pack your shyyt and leave lagos so we can have space for people that understand the value of land and human relationship to move in. yeye angry

@ the 1st bolded, Igbo is not the speaker,,,so get your facts correct.
@ the 2nd bolded, Igbo do not in anyway and/or any shape/any form, depend on any yoruba state for survival. They're MAINLY in Lagos because it's part of nigeria. I hate to say this, but I agree with you on the need for top Igbo government official to seize the opportunity and develop the east,,,t hey should play it like your brothers in government by going "tribal". BTW, when yorubas get to the national stage, they neglect other areas while concentrating development on their own corner of nigeria.
Re: Ladipo: 32 Bakassi Boys Jailed by hercules07: 3:11pm On Mar 05, 2013
Dudu_Negro:

palm oil was produced all over the south and in commercial quantity. there were plenty igbos in lagos like i said, they just were not shop owners. if there were not many then sir ojukwu wiuld not have been successful as he was transporting back and forth.

let me tell you what drove you to lagos after the war. prior to and during the war a lot of igbos were sent out of lagos in what the western leaders believed to be ungratefullness and insults. the jubilation and cheering of igbos to the face of their hosts occurred across the country. remember that some of you had properties in lagos.

after the war a refugee situation resulted. there were far too many igbos at home than the land could support and so you attempted to go back where you previously had footprints. your return and access was limited and reposession of your properties were denied. this was the case everywhere except west. you had unlimited access in west and a full reposession of the properties left behind. this acted as an incentive for people who could not get full rights of return in north and portharcourt to head to lagos. each onethat settled in ended up pulling many more from village to come to lagos and each of the new sets also acted as recruiting agents for those still in village. so your settlement in lagos has nothing to do with indigenization or 20pound policy. west gave you a life support and safetynet that other regions denied to you.

Dudu why are you educating these guys, the ones that will heed your words are not on Nairaland, these ones are the die hard tribalists who see the yoruba man as his enemy.
Re: Ladipo: 32 Bakassi Boys Jailed by aurenflani: 3:17pm On Mar 05, 2013
chiover: why do u always reason like Ape? As if your family have any property in lagos ! Gosh,ur a typical red pant. So London is for Londoners alone and no Mancunian there?? The only good thing about you is your use of english, every other thing including your blood is dark

Eh you didn't ans fvking question he posed - and you didn't rebutted it instead you blow tirades of insults. Just ans the fvking question. cool

1 Like

Re: Ladipo: 32 Bakassi Boys Jailed by alex101(m): 3:29pm On Mar 05, 2013
bloggernaija:

Lagos has always been a maritime hub even before precolonial times.so if you think the commercial viability of Lagos stated before the Nigeria ,then you need to go and re-read your history. Lagos is a natural harbour which mean it does not silt.very little dredging is required to keep it going and it is very close to other regional hubs in Freetown,Ghana,Benin republic etc.
On the econocmic front ,the southwest is such that there is a balance in savings and consumption. People save as much as they consume. That is why per capital,even if you remove lagos,most of the rest non oil taxes like VAT ,revenues from NEPA(power) etc are collected in the southwest.
Therefore, the traders are not in the southwest because of the port, they are in there because that is where the market is.
Also ,it was the total breakdown and destruction of the nigerian economy that led to an influx of petty sole trader. The likes of Barter,Phillips,textile industries,Peugeot ,Volkswagen,Beecham ,Pfizer etc were manufacturing concern in Lagos prior to independence and in the old western region and they sold directly to the customers via the departmental stores in front of their factory.it is safe to say that the destruction of the manufacturing sector is what has led to the situation where every Tom dick and Harry is an importer of goods .especially when just a cursory check will reveal that many of these goods are substandard or fake products . Many of my friends hardly buy big ticket items in nigeria anymore. clothes are bought in london,cars are bought through friends in america,mobile phone and computers from europe.It is safe to say that if there was a move to PH port like you just written, many of these companies will return. The fact is the world has moved from petty sole trader to larger departmental stores and shopping malls. The benefits to the state of a business employing just one person is not as great as you think .example is oncoming opening of india's retail market to foriegn companies.the government knows that it will be able to collect more revenues (PAYE,VAT)these companies than from a sole trader. Therefore, do not think that the traders are so important because believe me, they are not.
grin grin One of the reasons I enjoy yoruba company is their natural affinity for being delusional (though not all yorubas are). Do you know that Calabar/Ibaka ports in the east were both natural deep seaports? The tincan and apapa ports you see today was never a natural sea port. They were both dredged by the colonial masters as the areas around them were nothing but mere swamps. I will reiterate what I usually tell your folks here: "take away Lagos (which was made the FG and other nigerians), there isn't much going on in the SW". I have toured round nigeria and seen thins for myself,,,I don't depend on propaganda I see on NL.

BTW, I hope that the Enugu "international" airport comes alive and a seaport is situated in/or near the SE so Igbo can gradually pulling their investments away from Lagos. I want you guys to have "your" Lagos all to yourselves,,,,since ALL yorubas are "Lagosians".
Re: Ladipo: 32 Bakassi Boys Jailed by Wadeoye(m): 4:35pm On Mar 05, 2013
Good punishment for law breakers but 60 days is too small - they deserve worse punishment to serve as deterrent to other law breakers.
Re: Ladipo: 32 Bakassi Boys Jailed by EkoIle1: 5:16pm On Mar 05, 2013
alex101: .

BTW, I hope that the Enugu "international" airport comes alive and a seaport is situated in/or near the SE so Igbo can gradually pulling their investments away from Lagos. I want you guys to have "your" Lagos all to yourselves,,,,since ALL yorubas are "Lagosians".

You have both already so what's holding you?

You have your canoe port or warehouse and your village airport with roof ladder and ribbon to go with it...

www.nairaland.com/attachments/365361_enu2_jpg15d28a59d7edd12a73be4f9037f2da54

www.nairaland.com/attachments/697797_phoca_thumb_l_4_jpg79c51b7432a2c29f51ea39df87457417
Re: Ladipo: 32 Bakassi Boys Jailed by omonnakoda: 5:17pm On Mar 05, 2013
PROUD-IGBO:

^^^You'd just love that won't you? wink

I think what we see happening in Lagos is a subtle enactment of a hidden agenda by the bigoted and tribal wing of the Yoruba elite (mainly students of awos' 'ethnic politics'), who see Igbos as the main competition in Lagos and want them out of Lagos.....or want to diminish their numbers in Lagos (for political and economic reasons)......or want to 'try' and cripple them economically for petty reasons of hate and a feeling of ethnic superiority.

I believe these 'students of awo' do not make up the majority of Yoruba, but they are in control of their affairs; and in public they are represented by the likes of Fashola and Tinubu, while on the net (where they show their true colours) they are represented by the vociferous, baying and hateful mob you see on threads like this.
I think you are spot on with your analysis.The main attribute of these "Students" is strategy and action in short; they have a plan. What do the Ibos have besides the usual boastful noisemaking. In short what are they going to do about it?
Re: Ladipo: 32 Bakassi Boys Jailed by GARRIx10: 5:23pm On Mar 05, 2013
Instead of thinking of how to take food to their convicted brothers in Badagry prison, they're here doing what they do best..

angry angry

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Won’t Give Up My Mandate; I Dare Mimiko To Tell God He Didn’t Vote – Amaechi / Nigerian High Speed Rail The Journey So Far / I Will Not Contest 2015 Election-jonathan.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.