Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,236 members, 7,780,457 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 02:47 PM

Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality - Politics (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality (42317 Views)

Buhari Appoints Tax Chief With Fraudulent Degree - The FCT Post / Typical Nigerian Mentality / Nigerian Mentality: "Husband, Wife And Donkey" Comic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by debosky(m): 6:06pm On Mar 07, 2013
coogar:

i want to get chartered cos i have satisfied all the requirements to become one. mind, it doesn't require any special written examination to become one like ACCA or ICAN. it's just an assessment of what i have been doing in the 8-10 years after my MEng! so contrary to what you think, the experience is the koko of the matter!

You don't need to be chartered is what you've said, or don't you want to earn £150k as well like your bosses? cheesy Be making noise about how a secondary school leaver can do your job and yet be scurrying after more 'kpali' like a church rat. grin Why don't you get chartered based only on experience if 'experience is the koko'? cheesy

jay bee:
He probably needs the coveted CEng suffix after his name. Big man things ya know

The boy is confused jo - why isn't the SSCE suffix enough since that's all that is needed? cheesy
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by debosky(m): 6:11pm On Mar 07, 2013
Rhino.5dm:

Yeah, a little bit of exaggeration for the sake of this banter cool. . . but on thesame length, I haven't met any fresh university graduate, straight from school that can interpret 3D or 4D seismic data without further on the job training.

Emphasis on further training - even if we say naija folk are just accumulating degrees for fun, the rest of the world isn't suffering the same ailment.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by coogar: 6:11pm On Mar 07, 2013
Rhino.5dm:

Yeah, a little bit of exaggeration for the sake of this banter cool. . . but on thesame length, I haven't met any fresh university graduate, straight from school that can interpret 3D or 4D seismic data without further on the job training.

thank you very much......
most of these nigerian graduates after spending 5 + x years are still labelled as unemployable so what edge do they have over a secondary school leaver? most of the so called graduates are still going to go through various induction exercises before they are fused into the companies hiring them so what's the fecking difference. i was solving GRE and GMAT tests in my SS2 without breaking sweat!

debosky:
You don't need to be chartered is what you've said, or don't you want to earn £150k as well like your bosses? cheesy Be making noise about how a secondary school leaver can do your job and yet be scurrying after more 'kpali' like a church rat. grin Why don't you get chartered based only on experience if 'experience is the koko'? cheesy

over time, i would make as much as my bosses without the chartered suffix. how did they get there without a degree in the first place? i am just saying it's possible to by-pass a college degree and still have a satisfactory career.

The boy is confused jo - why isn't the SSCE suffix enough since that's all that is needed? cheesy

you are making your own argument here. this is the crux of the matter - is it possible to boss a professional career without a university degree? the answer is yes! the subject of the matter is the university degree. a secondary school leaver can apply for ACCA, study it and pass in flying colours without stepping a foot in UNILAG or UNIBEN. if he becomes chartered, would you hire a university graduate with no ACCA over this secondary school leaver? answers on a postcard please........
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by debosky(m): 6:13pm On Mar 07, 2013
coogar:

thank you very much......
most of these nigerian graduates after spending 5 + x years are still labelled as unemployable so what edge do they have over a secondary school leaver? most of the so called graduates are still going to go through various induction exercises before they are fused into the companies hiring them so what's the fecking difference. i was solving GRE and GMAT tests in my SS2 without breaking sweat!

Yet 8-10 years after your MEng, you are just trying to get chartered? Bloody failure. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by coogar: 6:18pm On Mar 07, 2013
debosky:
Yet 8-10 years after your MEng, you are just trying to get chartered? Bloody failure. cheesy

it has to be 8-10+ yrs.
the prerequisite says it has to be after 8 yrs - i don't make the rules! grin
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by dayokanu(m): 6:18pm On Mar 07, 2013
ROSSIKE:
First of all you are exaggerating again by relating all Nigerian degree courses to ASUU strikes. [size=14pt]Probably less than 10% of Nigerian graduates alive have ever been affected by an ASUU strike.[/size]

I think the bolded is a lie

Over 70% of Nigerian graduates under 45yrs have been affected by ASUU strike
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by coogar: 6:21pm On Mar 07, 2013
dayokanu:

rossike does not live in nigeria, don't blame him!
after a careful examination, i think he lives in either niger republic or chad. he has spewed so much nonsense today i am embarrassed for him.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by AjanleKoko: 6:28pm On Mar 07, 2013
dayokanu:

More like 100% actually.

1992 - 2 months.
1993 - 5 months.
1994 - 5 months, all the way till January '95.
1996 - 6 months
2001 - 3 months
2003 - 6 or 7 months (i forget)
2007 (or 2009, not sure) - 6 months.

That is the one I can remember.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by coogar: 6:32pm On Mar 07, 2013
AjanleKoko:

More like 100% actually.

1992 - 2 months.
1993 - 5 months.
1996 - 6 months
2001 - 3 months

that's how i remember it too - i have discounted student's riots, junior staff strikes and other issues. in a nutshell, studying for a 5-yr course in any nigerian university would take about 7 yrs to complete! the abacha/abiola period was a different kettle of fish. students spent about one full year to complete one semester.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Afam4eva(m): 6:37pm On Mar 07, 2013
What sort of blind patriotism is been displayed by Rossike.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Rhino5dm: 6:40pm On Mar 07, 2013
AjanleKoko:

More like 100% actually.

1992 - 2 months.
1993 - 5 months.
1996 - 6 months
2001 - 3 months

That sludgy bastard called Obj killed my dream during that 7 months. I had to perch with a roadside mechanic to gain some experience.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by dayokanu(m): 6:42pm On Mar 07, 2013
AjanleKoko:

More like 100% actually.

1992 - 2 months.
1993 - 5 months.
1996 - 6 months
2001 - 3 months

Why it is not 100% would be because of UNILORIN graduates, private University graduates, and some Graduates during Jelili Omotolas stint at UNILAG in the late 90's
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by KayDee4: 6:54pm On Mar 07, 2013
Rhino.5dm:
Look harder, you will find them. cool cool

On-the-job training only serves to sharpen your skills in that area but you have to know the basics first.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by KayDee4: 7:03pm On Mar 07, 2013
If less than 10% of Nigerian graduates alive have ever been affected by University strikes then it means over 90% of Nigerian graduates went to private universities cos in my era, all federal and state schools went on strike like no man's business.

I spent over 1 year (cummulative) on the sidelines due to strikes.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Katsumoto: 7:05pm On Mar 07, 2013
Reasons

1. Fear – Would someone with a degree from Kogi polytechnic employ someone with a degree from LSE/Bath? No because he knows you may take his/her job.

2. Jealousy – Beef because you got the opportunities he/she didn’t get

3. Arrogance – Most Nigerians are fleeping too arrogant. Just read some of the comments on this thread. Who does he think he is just because he has a degree from the UK/US? Some folks are so patriotic because the situation favours them that they keep telling themselves and whoever cares to listen that graduates from Nigerian institutions are just as good as graduates from schools in the UK/US. That is patently false for obvious reasons.

4. Nepotism – Take a look at the Nigerian president’s interview with Amanpour and compare with the US presidential debates. The difference is as clear as daylight. You can compare most positions in the US with similar positions in Nigeria and you will see the same difference. But guess what, you will find Nigerians in some of these positions in the US. Approximately 72% of the top ten richest folks in the US have post-graduates degrees. The richest folks in Naija are from the military, their friends, and family and the only degrees they have are the honorary ones that are bought. What can you read from that?

MAIN REASON
Over supply in the labour market because of the societal emphasis on white collar/office jobs. But like Ola one stated, ‘Life is not fair’ and that becomes more apparent with the oversupply of labour.

1 Like

Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by dayokanu(m): 7:09pm On Mar 07, 2013
Kay-Dee:
If less than 10% of Nigerian graduates alive have ever been affected by University strikes then it means over 90% of Nigerian graduate went to private universities cos in my era, all federal and state schools went on strike like no man's business.

I spent over 1 year (cummulative) on the sidelines due to strikes.

Leave am Make he dey feed us Garri and Sugar.

In my area we even organised Leagues during ASSU strike for students who are at home from ASUU strikes
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by flexyonline: 7:16pm On Mar 07, 2013
Can any one of you name five world renowned petroleum engineers who do not have a university degree?
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Afam4eva(m): 7:18pm On Mar 07, 2013
flexyonline: Can any one of you name five world renowned petroleum engineers who do not have a university degree?
Sebi na engineer you call am. Have you been following this thread at all?
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by KayDee4: 7:18pm On Mar 07, 2013
dayokanu:

In my area we even organised Leagues during ASSU strike for students who are at home from ASUU strikes

Infact my 1st 2 years, I don't think I went 4 straight months without any interruption. It was either :

ASSU
Internal AASU
SSAANU
Strike due to cult wars grin
etc
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Katsumoto: 7:18pm On Mar 07, 2013
Afam4eva: What sort of blind patriotism is been displayed by Rossike.

Folks who benefit from the Nigerian system are the most patriotic.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by flexyonline: 7:21pm On Mar 07, 2013
dayokanu:

Dayo so you agree that your five years in Ife chemical engineering was a complete waste? It added nothing to you to differentiate you from a school leaver?
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by coogar: 7:21pm On Mar 07, 2013
flexyonline: Can any one of you name five world renowned petroleum engineers who do not have a university degree?

is petroleum engineering the top engineering discipline?
i would have electronic/electrical and chemical engineering before petroleum engineering.

1 Like

Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by dayokanu(m): 7:22pm On Mar 07, 2013
Kay-Dee:

Infact my 1st 2 years, I don't think I went 4 straight months without any interruption. It was either :

ASSU
Internal AASU
SSAANU
Strike due to cult wars grin
etc

I went to Ife so i probably suffered more than you regarding strikes and closures. I guess we the ASUU victims are the less that 10%
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by flexyonline: 7:22pm On Mar 07, 2013
Afam4eva:
Sebi na engineer you call am. Have you been following this thread at all?

Guy you are the one that is a bit lost. Read back on my discussions on this thread.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by dayokanu(m): 7:23pm On Mar 07, 2013
flexyonline:

Dayo so you agree that your five years in Ife chemical engineering was a complete waste? It added nothing to you to differentiate you from a school leaver?

This doesnt have anything to do with my own post.

My own post is that over 70% of Nigerian graduates suffered from ASUU strike
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by flexyonline: 7:24pm On Mar 07, 2013
coogar:

is petroleum engineering the top engineering discipline?
i would have electronic/electrical and chemical engineering before petroleum engineering.

How does this vitiate my point? Pet engr is what I do and you have said secondary school leavers can do the job. For that assertion to be true there should be examples.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Nobody: 7:25pm On Mar 07, 2013
AjanleKoko:

More like 100% actually.

1992 - 2 months.
1993 - 5 months.
1996 - 6 months
2001 - 3 months

Omho, the bolded almost made me grow grey hair at home. Plus my school had another 5 months internal problem/strike, making me stay at home for 11 months altogether!

But that was the only major ASUU strike I experienced, others were 2-3 weeks warning strike. I lost 1 year, spent 5 years for what was supposed to take 4 years. But we thank God.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by dayokanu(m): 7:27pm On Mar 07, 2013
flexyonline: Dayo so you agree that your five years in Ife chemical engineering was a complete waste? It added nothing to you to differentiate you from a school leaver?

Now to your question after Ife I worked in a Bank. The skills I used to get the job and the work I did there had Nothing to do with my Chemical Engineering training I received from Ife.

Infact after SSCE I could pass that Maths and English test and perform the banking duties.

Most people who work in banks would tell you the same thing.

You work in a bank, as a marketer earning 300k How did your degree in Physics help you in that? You work in a Bank as a teller How did your Mechanical Engineering help with that? Infact in some banks OND's perform the same role

In other job functions I have done after tha Banking experience I have applied some stufs I learnt as an Engineer but many of my colleagues have been bank workers since then and never used any Calculus, Numerical analysis, navier Stokes, Nor Runge-Kutta methods

1 Like

Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by debosky(m): 7:28pm On Mar 07, 2013
AjanleKoko:

More like 100% actually.

1992 - 2 months.
1993 - 5 months.
1996 - 6 months
2001 - 3 months

AJ since you can so readily reel off strike statistics like this, have you ever considered going on Nigerian Master Mind? Shebi you sef no get Physics degree or PHD? grin
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by coogar: 7:28pm On Mar 07, 2013
flexyonline:
How does this vitiate my point? Pet engr is what I do and you have said secondary school leavers can do the job. For that assertion to be true there should be examples.

come to the UK, i will take you to aberdeen and meet engineers who never stepped foot in any uni and are managing big time projects. they are the ones that would even decide what you should earn on a daily basis! are you kidding me?

dayokanu:
Now to your question after Ife I worked in a Bank. The skills I used to get the job and the work I did there had Nothing to do with my Chemical Engineering training I received from Ife.

Infact after SSCE I could pass that Maths and English test and perform the banking duties.

Most people who work in banks would tell you the same thing.

You work in a bank, as a marketer earning 300k How did your degree in Physics help you in that? You work in a Bank as a teller How did your Mechanical Engineering help with that? Infact in some banks OND's perform the same role

In other job functions I have done after tha Banking experience I have applied some stufs I learnt as an Engineer but many of my colleagues have been bank workers since then and never used any Calculus, Numerical analysis, navier Stokes, Nor Runge-Kutta methods

this dayo go sabi math o.........
laplace transforms, runge-kutta(cheiiiii) gauss-seidel, jacobi method, etc.....
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Nobody: 7:32pm On Mar 07, 2013
Una never finish this debate? embarassed see argument and counterargument. Thread has even almost derailed. Now na ASUU strike una dey argue grin I hail everyone.
I learn from debates like this. When I hear the mention of the Great Ife, I almost..........

1 Like

Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by flexyonline: 7:33pm On Mar 07, 2013
Guy I have worked in Aberdeen. There are no such petroleum engineers there.

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply)

Woman Who Donated Life Savings Of 1million Naira To Buhari Critically Ill. / Deposed Emir Sanusi Sues IGP, DSS DG / Islamic Cleric Does The Buhari 4+4 While Leading Prayer At APC Rally In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.