Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,047 members, 7,799,547 topics. Date: Wednesday, 17 April 2024 at 12:38 AM

Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality (42368 Views)

Buhari Appoints Tax Chief With Fraudulent Degree - The FCT Post / Typical Nigerian Mentality / Nigerian Mentality: "Husband, Wife And Donkey" Comic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Nobody: 4:38am On Mar 05, 2013
coogar: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Reality

Nigeria is a highly blessed country to an abundance of mineral wealth and an energetic work force sadly, it is easier for a Senator to disclose how much he earns than for one to land any gainful employment here. Thus, in a bid to stand taller than most of my peers in the labour market, I joined the league of those who travelled to the United Kingdom for further studies. As a warning, those of you still contemplating returning to Nigeria for good should either look away now, or be ready to be jolted.

When I decided to relocate to Nigeria after a little under a decade in Europe, I did not imagine it would be easy to start a better life here; a life powered by a lucrative job. I did not reckon I would still be grappling with the viciousness of the Nigerian situation more than a year after I returned. I had many job promises from friends and contacts that gave the impression they had something to offer. I was very confident and couldn’t wait for my flight to depart London Heathrow Airport for the journey back home.

Finally in Nigeria, the euphoria of being back to a place I call home started to wear off after a month. As a man on a mission, I started moving round the country armed with my CV and a strong faith in Nigeria. I thought my newly acquired British accent and my UK certificates would make a difference. Well, my certificate has not made any difference and my “fake” accent only made most interviewers unfriendly. The only difference I have noticed is that the soles of my shoes have started wearing off due to trekking and my London clothes have started “fading”.

I have attended many interviews, passed all of them and asked to “be ready to resume in two weeks”. Well, it is gone past one year now, and I have finally given up on this country. One thing though is clear, people such as Reuben Abati and Doyin Okupe might disagree (who cares?), but about 90 per cent of jobs in Nigeria go to cronies of either those in government or those working in places where such vacancies exist. Merit has been thrown to the dogs and that is why you find all manner of unintelligent people working in sensitive positions all over the country.

Well, why not start something on your own, don’t expect the government to do everything for you, you know? What have I not tried? Even though it smirks of having a pessimistic disposition towards striving to make a living here, the fact remains that the government of Nigeria has not put the enabling environment in place for the advancement of private enterprise. That may well explain why you notice that only those that are close to the government make the list of “20 richest Nigerians”.

It is really a harrowing experience having to explain to friends why a business plan you thought was going to work out perfectly in Nigeria collapsed the very moment you stood up to try it out. Nigerian banks are not helping matters either; it is easier for a Boko Haram chap to embrace Christianity than for a Nigerian bank to agree to give you a loan to start a business. Be ready to produce all manner of “collateral”, your great-grandfather’s living next of kin, among others. This is the first step towards being disillusioned here.

If eventually you manage to establish something that has a semblance of a consultancy, or able to team up with an already established practice, you must be ready to deal with the realities on ground. Warning number one. Do not expect to see everybody exhibiting that rare sense of honesty. If you want to show most people that the way things are done here should be dumped for the better ways you learnt abroad, you will find out that you would be on “your own.” Ours is a system whose major fuel-source is corruption ­­— be ready to play ball, or at most, do not attempt to rock the boat.

After a while, you begin to ask yourself if it was really worth the stress-going to spend some good money studying abroad only to come back to Nigeria armed with a foreign certificate, an accent that makes you sound funny. Well, given another opportunity, I will do it again, and again. Quality education is power.

But then, what is the way forward?

I believe strongly that Nigeria remains one vast and lucrative market. Whoever that is daring will surely hit gold here. However, the key is to discard any false hopes that suggest that having a foreign degree is an assurance to some splendid employment. That was in the past.

Secondly, it is better to do a research on your intended engagement before you jet into Nigeria. From experience, all I had going for me was a luggage filled with job promises and a conviction that my foreign certificates would speed up the process of getting a good job. Wrong. People here excel in promising what they know is not within their power to do.

Thirdly (maybe most importantly), save up some cash before relocating to Nigeria-at least, enough cash to last you for about a year. Friends are many when you are “fresh” from overseas but the vanishing acts commence the moment you start moaning about paucity of funds and no employment. Most “friends” have a mental problem that makes them run faster than Usain Bolt the moment they suspect you will start asking for a loan. So, make sure you pinch your resources till you are sure of a regular income.

On a lighter note, be ready to become a Bible carrier, a “practising Muslim”, or a strong adherent of African Traditional Religion. You will be ridiculed, excluded and mocked the moment you attempt to convince your mates that there is so much poverty and ignorance in Nigeria, not because one is not a follower of any religion but because we have over the years, been ruled by visionless men and women whose major pre-occupation was looting our resources and banking same in foreign banks. Has that situation changed?

Finally, Nigeria is a beautiful country with a majority of the people willing to work to make a living. However, years of poor leadership and a docile citizenry have made living in Nigeria appear like being in hell. Believe me, there is everything stacked against you here, but the reality remains that you must be daring and be ready to get dirty to make a living here. Nigeria is the place to be. There are countless opportunities in Nigeria-we are not bad people, but our government is peopled by bad citizens.

by John Chikadibie Okafor.

Whinny baby! If you can't get a joy creat one cry baby.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by InvertedHammer: 4:42am On Mar 05, 2013
If you want to make money in Nigeria, you have to go at it the hard way.

You can go into importation of goods..but I will leave the wahala on that for another day.

The best approach is to buy heavy equipment for service delivery. For example, borehole drilling machine,
asphalt paver, roller, block-moulding machines. Once you have these in place, then you can
put your hustle on. Hustling in Nigeria with your certificate only will not cut it. You can
even buy a small passenger bus to guarantee daily bread while you hustle your way through.
No how, no how..you are sure you will get money for recharge card, feeding and minor expenses
while you wait for the real hammer. Eg. if daily return on your bus is N2000/day. That is N12,000/week
= N48,000/month (all things being equal--driver
wink wink wink)). This should sustain you while you learn the terrain.
If not, frustration alone will deny you the job. Abi, you no know say frustration dey show for face?

Liaise with government and local contractors and be a subcontractor, if need be. You will never
worry about money again.

MY POINT: Don't venture into Nigeria for business unless you have some alternative means
of income (no matter how small) to keep body and soul together.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by CyberG: 5:26am On Mar 05, 2013
Some foolis.h Nigerians, in fact a lot of stoopid Nigerians vote for a retarded president and then come to complain that the unemployment rate is high, there is little to no opportunity for them to move forward without connections, etc. You lot haven't seen anything yet...keep voting for tribe and religionism, until your lives become no better than that of a slave in his own land in the midst of plenty.

2 Likes

Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Nobody: 5:27am On Mar 05, 2013
I do not understand nigerians who spend so much money to get a foreign degree only to return to the failure that is nigeria.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Burger01(m): 5:49am On Mar 05, 2013
@OP, permit me to ask, in what course did you obtain your certificate, catering? I got a foreign certificate from uk and it sure did me good in naija before I started a biz of my own... Don't underplay the essence of acquiring foreign qualifications...not just foreign qualifications but in a goood course and fairly good grade..

3 Likes

Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by stansmart(m): 5:51am On Mar 05, 2013
The problem with 9ja is dere r few jobs that require expertise, its either u r implementing a solution or operating a machine. even the mtn's ,shell,mobil its all the same no real expertise. The experts are in USA and co design solutions and all the 9ja worker is doing is implementation ,9ja is not an industrialized country and unfortunately big companies dont invest in 9ja. The implication is an OND holder can do what ever a PHD holder can do. As regards to foreign degrees, i was working in MTN and had admission to a school in the USA for msc, people really discouraged me from going for the foreign degree saying 'a bird in hand is worth more than a million in the bush' but i followed my heart, resigned and went for the degree and never regretted. I finished and got top offers beyond my imagination. There is nothing like quality education, OP if u really had a good degree u wud soon reap the benefits.

1 Like

Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Godogwu: 6:03am On Mar 05, 2013
davidylan: I do not understand nigerians who spend so much money to get a foreign degree only to return to the failure that is nigeria.

Well that's your very shallow minded opinion.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Nobody: 6:05am On Mar 05, 2013
Godogwu:

Well that's your very shallow minded opinion.

well of course your parents are rich (perhaps through oil/government contracts) and connected so you would have no problem with nigeria.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by johhnnie(m): 6:15am On Mar 05, 2013
coogar:
Why can't a geography graduate work in a bank? Do you have an inkling of what geographers study? The last time I checked I discovered a speciality area of geography christined ' economic geography' And mind any body could become a professional banker all you need to do is just t allign your leanings.
don't be deceived........
there are jobs in nigeria but they are currently occupied by misfits, less qualified foreigners and age-cheats who keep celebrating their 45th birthday every year because they don't want to be forced into retirement. the real problem is the right people are not getting the jobs. why should a geography graduate be in a bank and a master degree holder is outside driving cabs?

the jobs are there, nepotism is the problem!

some are forced to come back because of visa issues - some are just tired of living abroad and they want to be with their families. minus the visa issues, you think nigerians would not stay abroad where the system works? don't be naive.....
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by nitlad: 6:15am On Mar 05, 2013
[size=50pt]Education is overrated[/size] - that's all! undecided
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by InvertedHammer: 6:18am On Mar 05, 2013

For a grossly overpopulated country, there is no reason why the government should allow expatriates
to take positions that Nigerians could competently do. Blame your government (if there is any)

Try getting jobs in Indonesia, China or India as an expatriate
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by nitlad: 6:19am On Mar 05, 2013
[size=50pt]........ be ready to get dirty to make a living here.[/size]
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

cool cool cool

1 Like

Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Godogwu: 6:30am On Mar 05, 2013
Anyone can always write a sob story to pull a specific crowd. There are thousands of success stories with respect to people gaining degrees from foreign institutions and deciding to work in Nigeria. My cousins who graduated not to long ago (2011, 2012) all have good/modest jobs. P.S all of them schooled outside the country.

Secondly it depends on what exactly you studied, wherever you studied. You don't study public speaking or sociology and expect to get a job at once you step your foot back into the country. There are careers in high demand in Nigeria and there are careers that are of less demand also. Then again how well did you do in that degree, you really don't expect a company to hire you with a third class when there are second class and first class applicants queing for that same position no?

Finally, I won't despute the fact that there are people who labored hard through school who are jobless, obviously there are but that's a factor in every part of the world. I won't also say favoritism is non-existent, well if I own a company I'd rather hire my nephew over any stranger even though they have thesame qualification and all. That being said, i personally believe there are lots and lots of enterprenueral opportunities in Nigeria... You cannot always rely on the FG to hand over jobs to every graduate out there (even the ones that don't merit it).. Go out and do something for yourself rather than lament on a forum.

2 Likes

Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Nobody: 6:33am On Mar 05, 2013
Rhino.5dm:

Is Bleep not the name of the guy from ATBU? He had previous experience as TOTAL trainee, NO?. . .It seems you always have a way of watering down the real situation on ground.

What I know for sure is 80% fresh jobs in MNC's is based on arrangee and who you know. At least I know Exxon Mobil, Shell and Agip like back of my hand. I know like a dozen of guys that got jobs in the aforementioned without without writing job test. Worst of it is Agip that don't consider test as a criteria, all you have to know is one ashawo that is phocking Italian, you start work the next day.

Exxon is another scam. At Exxon Mobil, All you have to do is to know either Fami Dada, Asuquo or Mr. Oluwole. T.

Shell?? Yeah, where people get recruited without attending interviews? Or where 90% of SITP trainees are recruited based on insiders standing for them?

NNPC or Dpr is equally is not merit since is quota system based. The only room left is for one to get experience in the field and how do you do that, if entry level selection is fraud?
1, Remove his name from your post.
2, Did he get Shell offer by knowing someone? Yes or No.
3, He was never a Total trainee. Never on Total payroll. He was only a Total scholar. Got - thru merit again - Total scholarship for his Msc in PTI, PH. And he started his Shell process before he got his Msc cert. So I don't know the 'experience' in Total you are talking about.

On Mobil, you can see I have not mentioned Mobil in my examples because I also notice some crookedness in its recruitment. But Shell, Chevron and a good number of other IOCs are largely merit-driven, believe it or not. I can list 10 names that got Shell and Chevron offers on merit.

Of course, NNPC and DPR, being government-run, is understandably crooked. I have never stuck my neck out for those. Even at that, people get jobs there without knowing anybody. This same guy in question got NNPC offer last year, but rejected for Oando, while waiting on Shell.

1 Like

Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by nitlad: 6:34am On Mar 05, 2013
[size=50pt]..........Nigeria - We are not bad people, [s]but our government is peopled by bad citizens.[/s][/size]
undecided undecided

Only that these "bad citizens" in government rose from among the people that are "not bad" cheesy grin

Governance must be a wicked sorcerer, for it to have been consistently turning people that are not bad into bad citizens once they get into it since God knows when. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by frankobaba(m): 6:37am On Mar 05, 2013
[color=#000099][/color]
So sad... This story surely reminds me of a friend who finished from the University of Hudders field with an MBA and then returned back to 9ja only to land himself with a marketing job for N25,000 per month... Indeed he was dissapointed....but at the end favour smiled at him....now he's a BIG Boy.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Godogwu: 6:41am On Mar 05, 2013
davidylan:

well of course your parents are rich (perhaps through oil/government contracts) and connected so you would have no problem with nigeria.

That's a silly thing some people tell themselves...

Education is a great tool to success anywhere in the world. I never said there are no problems with Nigeria, did i?.... Stop looking at Nigeria from just your perspective, rather rely on facts.

I'm in school at the moment even if my parents are whatever. I have friends who really don't have to work a day in their lives... Parents own yatchs, never flown economy and shi like that..... Like the money is that much, but still they go to school. Education is a tool to success in any part of the world just like I've said before.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by nitlad: 6:46am On Mar 05, 2013
Olodostein: Until we fundamentally change our value system. Insanity continues.
Wa gbayi

That is the crux of the matter!
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by pufectskin: 7:04am On Mar 05, 2013
HEy! Wats up. Just got bck too about a year now. Let's hook up.
mygirrl: I completely agree with the poster, I came back like 5 months ago after all the promises i'm yet to find a job, despite the fact that i worked for 2 years before coming back. I find it insulting that companies want to take me as a fresher (when i graduated close to six years ago). I know what is inside my head and i strongly believe that if given a chance i can make a difference but its Nigeria we are talking about. I have already made up my mind to start up something small and see how far it can grow by the grace of God. I don't blame many Nigerians abroad for refusing to come back.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by DonaldGenes(m): 7:10am On Mar 05, 2013
he person interviewing you probably did long distance degree at Maiduguri Polytechnic

[/quote]

Lmao00000000000 hard so tehhhhh I have to poo for my boxer
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by nitlad: 7:11am On Mar 05, 2013
LastApostle: OP, did they not taught you short hand at Cambridge?
If you write this thesis as an application for a job in Nigeria...walahi talahi...you fail or do you want to threaten your interviewer job?
Product of a failed system of education!!!!!!!!
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by obi2012: 7:41am On Mar 05, 2013
Obviously, you dont go for a foreign degree to come back and work for someone in Nigeria.. Especially if you are looking at it from a immediate return on your investment point of view.. You also dont go abroad to study and return home with no experience at all in this economy..

Most multi-national jobs you look for you can attain such interviews with a nigerian degree so why go abroad if you know your intentions are to come back and work for the same company? Your goals could have been achieved by spending less money..

There are only so many jobs with so much talent struggling for the few available spots and the economy going bad in the western world, tons of people in diaspora and foreigners are coming back to compete for the few available posts.. Everyone keeps thinking about oil and working for telecoms, aren't there other industries?

i would consider myself one of the lucky few.. right out of secondary school, my parents sent me to the states to school not so that i could come back and work for anyone but so that i could stay out of trouble and graduate on time.. my bachelors and masters in engineering cost about $130,000 not counting living expenses at the time when i graduated in 2004.. Would it make sense for me to come back home to look for a high paying job? No..

My wife spent $300,000 in student loans and 7 years to get her medical degree and qualify as a doctor in the states, would it make sense for her to come back home to look for a job? No

Ever since 2008, regardless of where you go, things are tough.. You cant put all your eggs in one basket.. I work in project management for a fortune 500 firm now and make the equivalent of my school fees in a year and my wife does fairly well but does that make me feel secure or feel i am entitled to anything? No.. Instead, i diversify myself into doing everything to make extra cash on the side.. I dont live like a big man who has arrived, i do others things on the side to prepare for a rainy day.. I co-own a car dealership, i import commodities from nigeria, i setup networks for small businesses and also do IT support for them because no one knows tomorrow, no matter how qualified you are, your employment is not guaranteed..

Foreign degree or not, we need to lose our sense of entitlement.. Company owners dont owe us anything.. Do what you need to do to improve yourself.. Specialize in something, make yourself stand out.. Do something where employes seek you out and if you cant find employment, create your own employment.

Not every business requires tons of capital.. Think outside the box, no one owes you anything because you have a foreign degree.. Your foreign degree is meant to train you to think outside the box and add value to your society..

Everyone keeps telling me to come home and that i would find a job easily with all the big name companies i have worked for and my years of experience but frankly i really dont put any faith in that, i doubt any company would be able to match my pay here besides if i am moving back home, it would be to identify opportunities and create jobs not to hope for a job that might never pan out..

10 Likes

Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by ThoniaSlim(f): 7:48am On Mar 05, 2013
I still believe you can get a job based on merit. A lot of foreign graduates think because you graduated from a foreign university that's a free ticket to getting a job even when you graduated with a pass/third class. I graduated in January came back first week of February and I'm due to resume work this week. Mind you, it was based on merit and not whom I knew because I just sent out an application and I was called for an interview. I haven't even gone for NYSC yet.

I believe in building your experience and being engaged while you chase bigger fishes like Multinationals. So even if you get a job with a smaller company that is offering you a 100k a month, do not put your nose up in the air or look down at it because that could be your ticket to getting something bigger. It contributes to making you more marketable to bigger companies. I think a lot graduates underestimate the power of experience. If a 100 graduates are applying for a single position, and they all have the same qualifications, what do you think would be the next criteria for evaluating whom to pick for job?

3 Likes

Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by hustla(m): 8:06am On Mar 05, 2013
but seriously oooo, I wonder why i would spend over 7-9million on Msc when i can buy one trailer and some cabs and do business with them...Wont have to beg oyinbo man for visa,wont live in a racist country,wont have to look for jobs when i come back and all that bs..

The money gotten from that in a year can be used to start palm kernel business and pure water business...Ppl in the above listed businesses make at least 200k every month...if i combine these businesses together...you do the math.

imagine importing or starting all this.phone business,blackberry and co with 7million naira..go to Nairaland's tech market,OLX and co and see how many phones are sold there daily.. Ask Tumababa,Initialize,Prince.of Illorin and co..

Nigeria is a very easy country if only we can look beyond our noses that education isnt everything.

just my own two cents....

btwn i never start my own business...una go hear when i start cheesy

1 Like

Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Fuelish: 8:08am On Mar 05, 2013
Mr knowitall.:
Ill help you out...go to Ghana you will get a job in a week...
LOL shameless people.the same Ghana you villify on nl?op,forget about Ghana.just an advice.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Nobody: 8:08am On Mar 05, 2013
Guys shoudl get me right. I'm not saying connection is not rampant, I'm only saying there is still merit too. If a Shell wants to fill 10 positions, I can bet that 8 or 9 out of it would be drawn from merit. Maybe 1 or 2 from the connected people. You can also compete for the 8-9 spots. Even in an organization as rotten as NNPC, in 10 vacancies, I'm almost certain that 5 would be filled on merit, the other 5 from letters from Diezani, Senators etc. It restricts chances, but you can also compete for the few merit-based spots.

This is why I like to build hope in job seekers, not scaring them with this connection mentality.

5 Likes

Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by egberipops(m): 8:18am On Mar 05, 2013
Zzyzx92: Abeg mk the op go sleep jare undecided

were him go sleep abi u no understand say him no get job? abi mak im com sleep 4 ur bed
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by toprealman: 8:19am On Mar 05, 2013
blackmann: [b]Bro, don't feel sad or upset about it. I was in your shoes too. I came to the USA to get a masters degree in my field(Computer Science) hoping that when I finally go back to naija, i will get a very good job somewhere. Imagine my dismay when after a whole year, I didn't get anything. Everyone was like come back today, come back tomorrow,, we are not employing, blah blah blah. Even at one place i had an interview, the guy saw my Degree certificate and my CV, and the first thing he asked me was - "Are u sure this your Masters is not an online degree?". I wanted to yank him by his stupid afro and tear out a few hairs. At the end of the day the stupid company told me if they are going to employ me, they cannot pay me more than 70k. i told them to take their job and shove it where the sun don't shine. After a while i just decided to pack myself and my newly wedded wife and head back here.

Back to the topic at hand, like you said, no knowledge earned is lost. with the way things are going on in Nigeria today, the best bet is for you to set up something with the knowledge you've gained from your overseas study. You cannot compare yourself with someone who has the same degree from a nigerian university. the difference is very clear. once you start something, and with your knowledge and connections, and if you run things the way you were taught and trained, u will make it. The thing about Nigeria is once something can sell, u will profit alot from it. forget about government jobs. They are just an "aside". Focus on being an EMPLOYER of labour, not an EMPLOYEE where one yeye oga who doesn't even have a school leavers certificate will be insulting you.[/b]

Easier said than done. You headed back to the US but you suggest he Turns to a CEO here in naija just like that.....a wise man you really are, aren't you?
I am happy that I can make a rational decision when it matters most.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by muami(m): 8:22am On Mar 05, 2013
Something seems fishy here. This article was first written in May 2012. Now the writer is publishing it again in March 2013 as if its contents are new. In any event, if the writer really was in the UK, he should know that even in the UK and most Western countries, jobs are difficult to get. If it was easy, he would not have returned. Point is: at the moment nowhere is easy, not the UK, not Nigeria.
http://saharareporters.com/article/relocating-nigeria-jon-chikadibie-okafo
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Deco007: 8:24am On Mar 05, 2013
How many days u type this i need the summarise or else:-D
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Rhino5dm: 8:25am On Mar 05, 2013
Jarus:
1, Remove his name from your post.
2, Did he get Shell offer by knowing someone? Yes or No.
3, He was never a Total trainee. Never on Total payroll. He was only a Total scholar. Got - thru merit again - Total scholarship for his Msc in PTI, PH. And he started his Shell process before he got his Msc cert. So I don't know the 'experience' in Total you are talking about.

On Mobil, you can see I have not mentioned Mobil in my examples because I also notice some crookedness in its recruitment. But Shell, Chevron and a good number of other IOCs are largely merit-driven, believe it or not. I can list 10 names that got Shell and Chevron offers on merit.

Done with the name thing. In all, I just wanted to make a point that merits is fast fading away like the dummy cloud. Like I said earlier, it's easier to move from one company to another when you have some degree or level of experience. The problem is at entry level, and if the entry level recruitment is bad, then we can safely conclude that everything is bad. How can one get the required experience if the selection process was based on "who you know"? It means the cycle of employment will keep revolving around those with "giant foot"!

The HR guys in various MNC's usually make available the test questions and solutions to their cronies ahead of the examination date and there by undermining the process.

I can vouch for chevron alone for now, but shell? Those guys are pretenders. Lemme do away with the name calling here, there was this guy(a friend with degree in geology from Delta) that applied for a position in shell and didn't even qualify for that position, so he was not shortlisted. . . .He contacted his towns man from Delta State, a senior manager in shell and the manager gave him a condition of marrying his daughter in return for the job offer. . .Fast forward, he got the job and married the girl( very black, ugly and short thing like that).

If MNC's are microcosm of Nigeria, why then do we expect them to be immune from corruption and nepotism?
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Kells677(m): 8:35am On Mar 05, 2013
Sory bro if u dnt mind i can share my garri wit dettol wit u if we dnt tk kia of our slf wu will

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply)

Soldier Shoots Man In Abuja, Stabs Another (photo) / Femi Fani-kayode Praises TB Joshua / Dino Melaye's Constituents Protest To INEC Office, Demand His Recall (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.