Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,315 members, 7,808,064 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:20 AM

The God Debate - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The God Debate (2835 Views)

Is The God Of Israel God Of ALL? / The Dawkins Delusion: A Response To The God Delusion / In The God Of David Oyedepo ? Huh? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The God Debate by ghostofsparta(m): 11:12pm On Mar 04, 2013
I am tired of hearing God this, God that on Nairaland. There's hardly any topic on this forum without at least ten commenters bringing religion to it.

When I visit websites, discussion forums and blogs of people whose fore-father's shoved down the throats of our already stunned fore-fathers foreign religions that now appears to have become the only yardstick black folks today measure everything by, I can't help but to wonder why none of their comments bears statements like "according to the word of God" "the Bible says" or words like Satan, Demon and devil. Even if it's noticed regardless of which of the topic I hardly see them use said words in a religious context. This makes me wonder if our ancestors usually call on something as an excuse of explanation as prevalent today as reflected here on Nairaland.

I believe God exists but surely not the Abrahamic God which is certainly the source of the black man's misery. It is confusing to grasp. In God they trust, God's own country they claim but they aren't all godly. Why can't they just turn the other chick rather than building stealth fighters costing billions of dollars. Only a fool would.

Every Nigerians blacks here neglect their own deities and embrace the semitic unprovable, non-existing God. They think of their deities as demons and agents of satan. Has the term - Satan/demon been present in the vocabularies of native tongue? It's only takes heavy mental slavery and continual colonialization for a Japanese to believe Ōhoyamatsumi (大山積神) a war god, is actually one of the agents of Satan the Devil.

Can the semitic God(Yawheh/Allah) be pitted with even Ogun (Yoruba Deity of Technology) in terms of efficacy? Much less of Olodumare - the God of the gods(irunmole/orishas).

I believe If any doubting reader and I were to establish a trust over a multi-million Naira project with the supposed power of the Holy Books, any one of us could abscond with the money if the deals clicks knowing that nothing will surely happen, but such can't happen if an oath of sincerity was taken in the presence of an activated native deity whose department is of such purpose.

I am using this opportunity to call on the two most seemingly intelligent religious apologists Davidylan and MacLatunji to provide us A'theists, irrefutable evidential proof for the existence of either God of the Abrahamic religions in terms of efficacy.

No insult and offensive word.

1 Like

Re: The God Debate by inspiredbyGOD(m): 8:03am On Mar 05, 2013
*following*
Re: The God Debate by Nobody: 8:08am On Mar 05, 2013
If any of the Gods exist, there's little proof for them, except the 'created' for which they all claim to be the 'creator'.

Haven't we learnt this much so far?
Re: The God Debate by Nobody: 8:48am On Mar 05, 2013
Good morning Ghost,

This thread is quite amusing to me. I am not Mr. Tunji or David but...

ghostofsparta: I am tired of hearing God this, God that on Nairaland. There's hardly any topic on this forum without at least ten commenters bringing religion to it.

I am also tired of hearing people say that there is no God but this does not mean that they cannot say so when they feel like it. Anyone who holds that at least one deity exists has the inalienable right to express his or her beliefs whether we like it or not.

ghostofsparta:
When I visit websites, discussion forums and blogs of people whose fore-father's brought these foreign religions that now appears to have become the only yardstick folks here measure everything by, I can't help but to wonder why is there hardly any comments bearing statements like "according to the word of God" "the Bible says" or words like Satan, Demon and devil. Even if it's noticed in those sites on any subject it isn't used in a religious perspective. This makes me wonder if our ancestors usually call on something as an excuse of explanation as prevalent today as reflected here on Nairaland.

Like I mentioned everyone has a choice...if one choose to call on the name of the devil as his personal lord and saviour then so be it. At least there is one advocate666 who propound the teachings of the devil. The trick is, we are all free to express ourselves to the extent that our freedom does not impede on the rights of someone else.

ghostofsparta:
I believe God exists but surely not the Abrahamic God which is certainly the source of the black man's misery. It is confusing to grasp.

The bold is cool and frankly for me that is what matters. How one choose to see him is a completely different matter...not everyone sees God in the 'Abrahamic light' but this does not mean that we do not refer to the same 'person'. As far as I am concerned God is a mystery and everyone who holds that he exists is still trying to get an understanding of who he really is. All we have basically are snap shots but nothing detailed.

To hold the view that the Abrahamic God is the source of the black man's problems is to commit the fallacy of false cause. It is better that we take responsibility for our actions. Our problems are known and well defined. If we want to get out of the mess we find ourselves, the path is known too. So attributing our problems to another when we are the cause of our 'continued being' in this problem does not quite cut it for me.

ghostofsparta:
In God they trust, God's own country they claim but they aren't all godly. Why can't they just turn the other chick rather than building stealth fighters costing billions of dollars. Only a fool would.

I don't see how the above is relevant. Everyone knows that words and actions can be very different. One can claim to be what he or she is not.

ghostofsparta:
Every Nigerians blacks here neglect their own deities

Every Nigerian has the right of choice. If they want to worship the sand as their God, so be it. If they choose the God of the Jews they are equally free.

ghostofsparta:
and embrace the semitic unprovable, non-existing God.

The above is your opinion on the matter and does not constitute fact!

ghostofsparta:
They think of their deities as demons and agents of satan. Has the term - Satan/demon been present in the vocabularies of native tongue? It's only takes heavy mental slavery and continual colonialization for a Japanese to believe Ōhoyamatsumi (大山積神) a war god, is actually one of the agents of Satan the Devil.

Not every Nigerian think that their deities are agents of satan. As a matter of fact there are Nigerians who believe that these other gods work hand in hand with the Almighty God. Hence they complement each others work. These are beliefs anyone is free to accept or reject. Everyone has the right to choose what he believes to be good or evil as long as his or her beliefs do not trample on the rights of others.

ghostofsparta:
Can the semitic God(Yawheh/Allah) be pitted with even Ogun (Yoruba Deity of Technology) in terms of efficacy? Much less of Olodumare - the God of the gods(irunmole/orishas).

I believe the God the Yoruba's call Olodumare is the same as the Abrahamic God. We just have different ways of understanding him and that's because he is mysterious for now.

ghostofsparta:
I believe If any doubting reader and I were to establish a trust over a multi-million Naira project with the supposed power of the Holy Books, any one of us could abscond with the money if the deals clicks knowing that nothing will surely happen, but such can't happen if an oath of sincerity was taken in the presence of an activated native deity whose department is of such purpose.

I fail to see the relevance of the above.

ghostofsparta:
I am using this opportunity to call on the two most seemingly intelligent religious apologists Davidylan and MacLatunji to provide us A'theists, irrefutable evidential proof for the existence of either God of the Abrahamic religions in terms of efficacy.

I wish them luck in their bid to prove the existence of God cause they will surely need it...you an Atheist?? I hope you know what Atheism is? This right up screams something other than Atheism.

ghostofsparta:
No insult and offensive word.

Nice right up and kudos!
Re: The God Debate by ghostofsparta(m): 2:32pm On Mar 05, 2013
musKeeto: If any of the Gods exist, there's little proof for them, except the 'created' for which they all claim to be the 'creator'.

Haven't we learnt this much so far?

musKeeto, @the bolded.^
I'm re-adjusting my stand. I believe there's NO proof of the existence of any God/god. The word God/god itself isn't Yoruba nor Benin nor African as a matter of the fact. However, there is evidential proof for the existence of the Yoruba's Irunmoles and Orishas through their efficacy after what I call contactivation™. Any of the 401 Irunmoles making up the Yoruba pantheon is not and does not in any sense fit into the white man's concept of God or Deity. So if we are to go by the definition of a deity which the Abrahamic God belongs to, it would be absurdly improper to equate the concepts God with the Yoruba's Irunmole or Orisha. God is God. Irunmole is not God/deity. Irunmole is Irunmole. Eshu is not satan. Eshu is Eshu. Satan the Jewish deity of Evil is disprovable likewise Zeus, Apollo, Harry Potter, Spiderman and Darkseid - the most evil ever conceived by human Darkseid. If a skeptic demand the existence of the Yoruba Eshu, an Irunmole(not a god, deity or demon). Like all the Irunmoles, there are numerous observable supernatural effect resulting from the contactivation of Eshu or application of Eshu sciences. Each of all these Irunmoles are not only unique in terms of their capability contactivated and speciality when propitiated. Yes, I could agree from an atheistic or scientific point of view that the said capabilities I'm attesting to are energies and forces yet undetectable to modern science though part of our reality are attributed to the Yoruba Irunmoles hundreds of thousands years ago before the Euro-Arab interventive mutilations and distortions of our Original ancestral belief system.
Re: The God Debate by cyrexx: 2:57pm On Mar 05, 2013
^^

Contactivation.

Hmmm, maybe there are some powerful energy that humans can tap into that we have not fully understood and our fore fathers thought they were God's, you know, the same way they thought thunder and diseases were the works of Gods. They could have called our electronics and computers Gods too but we know they are not gods.

I am an open minded atheist, atheist particularly to abrahamic god but agnostic to possibilities of powers beyond human capacities , I know and believe that there is no Yahweh or Allah anywhere, but human imaginations who invented those gods, but if you can teach one or two things about CONTACTIVATION of actual powers beyond present human capabilities, I am willing to learn. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: The God Debate by ghostofsparta(m): 3:30pm On Mar 05, 2013
striktlymi: Good morning Ghost,

This thread is quite amusing to me. I am not Mr. Tunji or David but...
How so amusing?

I am also tired of hearing people say that there is no God but this does not mean that they cannot say so when they feel like it. Anyone who holds that at least one deity exists has the inalienable right to express his or her beliefs whether we like it or not.
Won't you deem it odd and tiring for people to say everyday, here and there Zeus or Wolverine exist when there is actually no proof of them existing rather than in the Greek myth and comic books they belong to, unlike the availability of evidential proof of electron existing both in book and reality.

Like I mentioned everyone has a choice...if one choose to call on the name of the devil as his personal lord and saviour then so be it. At least there is one advocate666 who propound the teachings of the devil. The trick is, we are all free to express ourselves to the extent that our freedom does not impede on the rights of someone else.
True everyone has a choice but would you feel convenient if my choices asserts that, thatever your choices are, there are unexercisable given their heretic deviation on a basis fundamental to my choice. If I practice my Shango, you'll support those who will kill me for believing in what you are have been programmed to perceive as a false/idol god. Advocate666 and the likes of him on Nairaland are just as confused as so many blacks Christians and Muslims converts born as blacks in the land of the blacks, eats and bear black foods and name and passionately defends a religion that is non-black.

My usage of the word 'black' is even improper, but just for the sake of referring to the Negroid race.
Re: The God Debate by Nobody: 3:33pm On Mar 05, 2013
cyrexx: ^^

Contactivation.

Hmmm, maybe there are some powerful energy that humans can tap into that we have not fully understood and our fore fathers thought they were God's, you know, the same way they thought thunder and diseases were the works of Gods. They could have called our electronics and computers Gods too but we know they are not gods.

I am an open minded atheist, atheist particularly to abrahamic god but agnostic to possibilities of powers beyond human capacities , I know and believe that there is no Yahweh or Allah anywhere, but human imaginations who invented those gods, but if you can teach one or two things about CONTACTIVATION of actual powers beyond present human capabilities, I am willing to learn. Thanks.
Cyrexx, have you watched this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n36qV4Lk94
Re: The God Debate by cyrexx: 3:40pm On Mar 05, 2013
musKeeto:
Cyrexx, have you watched this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n36qV4Lk94

I am actually using my phone now and I have little data left, hence I can't use YouTube app, can you pls describe/summarise the content of the video. Or a webpage that talks about the content of the video. Thanks.
Re: The God Debate by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:42pm On Mar 05, 2013
ghostofsparta:

musKeeto, @the bolded.^
I'm re-adjusting my stand. I believe there's NO proof of the existence of any God/god. The word God/god itself isn't Yoruba nor Benin nor African as a matter of the fact. However, there is evidential proof for the existence of the Yoruba's Irunmoles and Orishas through their efficacy after what I call contactivation. Any of the 401 Irunmoles making up the Yoruba pantheon is not and does not in any sense fit into the white man's concept of God or Deity. So if we are to go by the definition of a deity which the Abrahamic God belongs to, it would be absurdly improper to equate the concepts God with the Yoruba's Irunmole or Orisha. God is God. Irunmole is not God/deity. Irunmole is Irunmole. Eshu is not satan. Eshu is Eshu. Satan the Jewish deity of Evil is disprovable likewise Zeus, Apollo, Harry Potter, Spiderman and Darkseid - the most evil ever conceived by human Darkseid. If a skeptic demand the existence of the Yoruba Eshu, an Irunmole(not a god, deity or demon). Like all the Irunmoles, there are numerous observable supernatural effect resulting from the contactivation of Eshu or application of Eshu sciences. Each of all these Irunmoles are not only unique in terms of their capability contactivated and speciality when propitiated. Yes, I could agree from an atheistic or scientific point of view that the said capabilities I'm attesting to are energies and forces yet undetectable to modern science though part of our reality are attributed to the Yoruba Irunmoles hundreds of thousands years ago before the Euro-Arab interventive mutilations and distortions of our Original ancestral belief system.

They are actually complex Spiritual Energies/Spiritual Forces. This is the true definition of the Gods. The abrahamists have corrupted the term, by giving God(s) human characteristics and emotions such as love, fear, etc.

anywayz OP are you sure you are an atheist you seem to have strong Pagan inclinations and even think like 1. what is your tribe? If you are Yoruba, are you initiated into Ifa Orisha? if not, I can provide you with the contact of the Chief Babalawo of Lagos to be initiated/reconverted back to Ifa Orisha religion.
Re: The God Debate by Nobody: 3:52pm On Mar 05, 2013
ghostofsparta:
How so amusing?

Very!!!

ghostofsparta:
Won't you deem it odd and tiring for people to say everyday, here and there Zeus or Wolverine exist when there is actually no proof of them existing rather than in the Greek myth and comic books they belong to, unlike the availability of evidential proof of electron existing both in book and reality.

Well the truth is I will think it odd but I won't be tired of hearing such. At least I know that I am not tired of hearing some Atheist say that God does not exist without a shred of proof. I will only see it as their opinion on the matter...at the minimum, I don't know if Zeus or the other great ancient Greek gods exist or not but it would interest you to know that I see some sense in some of their claims.

ghostofsparta:
True everyone has a choice but would it convenient you to know that my choice asserts that whatever your choices are, there are unexercisable given their heretic deviation on a basis fundamental to my choice.

Assertions in themselves do not hinder the rights of others. I have been told by an Atheist that my kind will be wiped out the face of the Earth but this does not mean that he has infringed on my right to life.

ghostofsparta:
If I practice my Shango, you'll support those who will kill me for believing in what you are have been programmed to perceive as a false/idol god. Advocate666 and the likes of him on Nairaland are just as confused as so many blacks Christians and Muslims in black land who forgot that they are converts.

I don't think it is appropriate for you to assume what I would do in that matter. You really do not know me!

Thanks!
Re: The God Debate by ghostofsparta(m): 4:03pm On Mar 05, 2013
-reserved 4 pagan9ja-
Re: The God Debate by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:04pm On Mar 05, 2013
striktlymi:

Well the truth is I will think it odd but I won't be tired of hearing such. At least I know that I am not tired of hearing some Atheist say that God does not exist without a shred of proof. I will only see it as their opinion on the matter...at the minimum, I don't know if Zeus or the other great ancient Greek gods exist or not but it would interest you to know that I see some sense in some of their claims.

OFCOURSE ZEUS EXISTS! Zeus = Olodumare = Chukwu = Ra = Saarkin Aljanu , etc.

now ask yourself what is Zeus? isnt Zeus Creation Isnt Creation a reality The Creator Force is behind all things that involve creation.

Therefore the Creator God does exist! it so happens that different tribes and ethnic groups are given naturally their own waysto call this Force.

The same can be said of the other FOrces/Gods. that of Fertility , Destruction/war, etc. .
Re: The God Debate by Nobody: 4:08pm On Mar 05, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

OFCOURSE ZEUS EXISTS! Zeus = Olodumare = Chukwu = Ra = Saarkin Aljanu , etc.

now ask yourself what is Zeus? isnt Zeus Creation Isnt Creation a reality The Creator Force is behind all things that involve creation.

Therefore the Creator God does exist! it so happens that different tribes and ethnic groups are given naturally their own waysto call this Force.

The same can be said of the other FOrces/Gods. that of Fertility , Destruction/war, etc. .

Good day pagan,

Have you experienced Zeus? Why do you believe that Zeus is the same person as Chukwu and Olodumare?
Re: The God Debate by ooman(m): 4:13pm On Mar 05, 2013
I BELIEVE THAT THE YORUBA CONCEPT OF GOD BEATS THE XTIANS/MUSLIM CONCEPT.

AS A SCIENTIST, I ALSO THINK THAT THE YORUBA ACCOUNT OF CREATION MAKES SENSE THAN THE BIBLE'S ACCOUNT.
Re: The God Debate by ooman(m): 4:16pm On Mar 05, 2013
striktlymi:

Good day pagan,

Have you experienced Zeus? Why do you believe that Zeus is the same person as Chukwu and Olodumare?

Striky, if I tell you I have experienced Zeus, how can you prove otherwise?
Re: The God Debate by Nobody: 4:20pm On Mar 05, 2013
ooman:

Striky, if I tell you I have experienced Zeus, how can you prove otherwise?

That would fall under private revelation! I can't confirm it unless I get same experience and I can't disprove either cause there is no objective and scientific way of doing that.
Re: The God Debate by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:24pm On Mar 05, 2013
striktlymi:

Good day pagan,

Good Day striktlymi,

I have experienced Zeus, as Saarkin Aljanu (or vice versa). also i was born , wasnt I you were born too. you too exerienced Zeus/Olodumare/Saarkin Aljanu. The Creator God is the Driving Force behind Creation itself. It is a Spiritual Parallel.

A Farmer prays for his crops to be created in unfaourable conditions. He will pray to Saarkin Aljanu. it is something like that. i know it is a very different and complex way of understanding things and putting into perspective. it takes time to get used to. .

as to why Olodumare , CHukwu and Zeus are the same, this is simple. they represent the same Spiritual Force dont they? That of Originiation and Creation. Also they hold many parallels in their characteristics and ritual worships and position.
Re: The God Debate by ooman(m): 4:28pm On Mar 05, 2013
striktlymi:

That would fall under private revelation! I can't confirm it unless I get same experience and I can't disprove either cause there is no objective and scientific way of doing that.

Do you now see why your question is senselessly irrelevant?
Re: The God Debate by Nobody: 4:35pm On Mar 05, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

Good Day striktlymi,

I have experienced Zeus, as Saarkin Aljanu (or vice versa). also i was born , wasnt I you were born too. you too exerienced Zeus/Olodumare/Saarkin Aljanu. The Creator God is the Driving Force behind Creation itself. It is a Spiritual Parallel.

A Farmer prays for his crops to be created in unfaourable conditions. He will pray to Saarkin Aljanu. it is something like that. i know it is a very different and complex way of understanding things and putting into perspective. it takes time to get used to. .

Well pagan, I do understand the case for Olodumare and true to your words, I must say that I have experienced him but I can't say same for Zeus. Oludumare like you said is ascribed as the 'Creator God' but Zeus is ascribed the god of thunder and lightning. This should be equivalent to a Songo. Though he is known as the father of God's but he came to meet creation as he was given birth to.

Olodumare on the other hand is very different. He is the ultimate source of life which is a quality Zeus does not share. If we cannot attribute creation to Zeus then why place him at per with Olodumare?
Re: The God Debate by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:47pm On Mar 05, 2013
striktlymi:

Well pagan, I do understand the case for Olodumare and true to your words, I must say that I have experienced him but I can't say same for Zeus. Oludumare like you said is ascribed as the 'Creator God' but Zeus is ascribed the god of thunder and lightning. This should be equivalent to a Songo. Though he is known as the father of God's but he came to meet creation as he was given birth to.

Olodumare on the other hand is very different. He is the ultimate source of life which is a quality Zeus does not share. If we cannot attribute creation to Zeus then why place him at per with Olodumare?

well it is a bit complicated. The Greek version of the Creator God is called Demiurge. Demiurge is a Mega-Force that caused creation. However after the original destruction, there was a phase 2, and then Zeus Created everythng anew. this might be a metaphorical context and have a double meaning. however what is understod is that from then on Zeus is known as a Creator Force. The Greek Religion underwent a drastic evloution as in accordance with their advancing civilization. this role of a period of Creation and Destruction is also found in the Hindu Religion, another advanced form of Paganism. this is probably in relation to the wider universal cosmos as it would be really unfair and 1-sided and false if all events concerned the Earth. however it is we humans who tend to pick and choose all that concerns us.

you might be right though. However for some reason Gods of Thunders are given a special place with Creator Gods in most Pagan religions and cultures. Generally portrayed as Hammer carriers and lighting bolt strikers and heroic figures. I dont know the exact reason to this phenomena. It is also possible that the Ancient Greeks (today the pure original Greek ethnic group is extinct), probably clubbed both forces. Unfortunately we dont know much since most of the knowledge, libraries, etc., got destroyed after the advent of christianity. all that we know is through the surviving literature and stories and other accounts.

Time is generaly given a separate entity. it is a constant force. Not exactly a God. even the Gods tend to fear/respect time. it cant be reversed.
Re: The God Debate by Nobody: 5:49pm On Mar 05, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

well it is a bit complicated. The Greek version of the Creator God is called Demiurge. Demiurge is a Mega-Force that caused creation. However after the original destruction, there was a phase 2, and then Zeus Created everythng anew. this might be a metaphorical context and have a double meaning. however what is understod is that from then on Zeus is known as a Creator Force. The Greek Religion underwent a drastic evloution as in accordance with their advancing civilization. this role of a period of Creation and Destruction is also found in the Hindu Religion, another advanced form of Paganism. this is probably in relation to the wider universal cosmos as it would be really unfair and 1-sided and false if all events concerned the Earth. however it is we humans who tend to pick and choose all that concerns us.

you might be right though. However for some reason Gods of Thunders are given a special place with Creator Gods in most Pagan religions and cultures. Generally portrayed as Hammer carriers and lighting bolt strikers and heroic figures. I dont know the exact reason to this phenomena. It is also possible that the Ancient Greeks (today the pure original Greek ethnic group is extinct), probably clubbed both forces. Unfortunately we dont know much since most of the knowledge, libraries, etc., got destroyed after the advent of christianity. all that we know is through the surviving literature and stories and other accounts.

Time is generaly given a separate entity. it is a constant force. Not exactly a God. even the Gods tend to fear/respect time. it cant be reversed.

The above is really enlightening and quite commendable but don't you think that Zeus does not really fit into the profile of a creator God? You are aware that before the coming of Zeus there was Ouranos and his wife and mother Gaia. These have been in existence before Zeus. I am of the opinion that Zeus was brought into the picture primarily because of his prowess as the most powerful god and possibly because it is believed in some quotas that Zeus was able to bring the other Olympians together to overthrow his father.

The concept of Olodumare as the Creator God is quite clear and understandable but that of Zeus is quite contestable even though some persons would have loved to attribute creation to him. I am still of the opinion that the 'second creation' you made mention of might just be referring to the successful coup ascribed to him.
Re: The God Debate by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:54pm On Mar 05, 2013
striktlymi:

The above is really enlightening and quite commendable but don't you think that Zeus does not really fit into the profile of a creator God? You are aware that before the coming of Zeus there was Ouranos and his wife and mother Gaia. These have been in existence before Zeus. I am of the opinion that Zeus was brought into the picture primarily because of his prowess as the most powerful god and possibly because it is believed in some quotas that Zeus was able to bring the other Olympians together to overthrow his father.

The concept of Olodumare as the Creator God is quite clear and understandable but that of Zeus is quite contestable even though some persons would have loved to attribute creation to him. I am still of the opinion that the 'second creation' you made mention of might just be referring to the successful coup ascribed to him.

that is all well and good. but do you know what is idolatory? it is when you use an object to symbolize a SPiritual Force to which you pray. in the same way, over time, since Zeus became a more dominant Force, Zeus was accepted as the Supreme Creator God. in other words Zeus was used as a symbol of Creation overtime. eventhough you must be right in that Ouarano was the original symbol of creation.

Take Jakuta for example. In the past, Jakuta symbolized the forces of Thunder , lIghtning and probably even rain. However, overtime, the name of Jakuta was substituted for that of Shango , which was possibly derived from that of an Ancient and powerful Yoruba Chieftain-King.

However what doesnt change is what is symbolized. Jakuta/Shango, they both still symbolize the same force and that is that of Lightning , Thunder,etc.

Re: The God Debate by Nobody: 6:02pm On Mar 05, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

that is all well and good. but do you know what is idolatory? it is when you use an object to symbolize a SPiritual Force to which you pray. over time, since Zeus became a more dominant Force, Zeus was accepted as the Supreme Creator God. in other words Zeus was used as a symbol of Creation overtime. eventhough you must be right in that Ouarano was the original symbol of creation.

Take Jakuta for example. In the past, Jakuta symbolized the forces of Thunder , lIghtning and probably even rain. However, overtime, the name of Jakuta was substituted for that of Shango , which was possibly derived from that of an Ancient and powerful Yoruba Chieftain-King.

However what doesnt change is what is symbolized. Jakuta/Shango, they both still symbolize the same force and that is that of Lightning , Thunder,etc.

I do understand your thoughts on the matter and I think from that view point it makes some sense. Anyways, I will rather stick with Olodumare cause 'it' goes beyond mere 'symbolism' and I think he makes more sense than Zeus (no offence intended). At least Olodumare is not being relegated to a mere symbol of creation.
Re: The God Debate by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:05pm On Mar 05, 2013
striktlymi:

I do understand your thoughts on the matter and I think from that view point it makes some sense. Anyways, I will rather stick with Olodumare cause 'it' goes beyond mere 'symbolism' and I think he makes more sense than Zeus (no offence intended). At least Olodumare is not being relegated to a mere symbol of creation.

If you are Yoruba , then you MUST stick to Olodumare. As a tribal, that is your natural duty. As a Pagan it wont really matter if you occasionally worship other Pagan Gods but you must stick to your original Gods-given concept. the progress of your religion too is in your hands and that of your future generation.
Re: The God Debate by Nobody: 6:08pm On Mar 05, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

If you are Yoruba , then you MUST stick to Olodumare. As a tribal, that is your natural duty. As a Pagan it wont really matter if you occasionally worship other Pagan Gods but you must stick to your original Gods-given concept. the progress of your religion too is in your hands and that of your future generation.

I am not Yoruba but I take things in their merit!
Re: The God Debate by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:08pm On Mar 05, 2013
striktlymi:

I am not Yoruba but I take things in their merit!

what is your tribe?
Re: The God Debate by Nobody: 6:12pm On Mar 05, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

what is your tribe?

Edo and the name of our creator God is Osinegba = Olodumare = Chukwu = ...
Re: The God Debate by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:17pm On Mar 05, 2013
striktlymi:

Edo and the name of our creator God is Osinegba = Olodumare = Chukwu = ...

ahahah so now you are getting it! wink

Great so you are Edo! well my advice is you should do some research into your own religion as well.it is healthy. when a Pagan religion is promoted , treatises are written and it becomes more defined and complex. all Pagan religions start from primordial origins and then slowly expand.
that would be your duty.

but the correct way to say your tribe would be Etsakor yes? I think Edo is a Greater Ethnic group and includes the tribes of the Urhobo, Etsakor, Itsekri,etc.
Re: The God Debate by Nobody: 6:23pm On Mar 05, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

Great so you are Edo! well my advice is you should do some research into your own religion as well.it is healthy. when a Pagan religion is promoted , treatises are written and it becomes more defined and complex. all Pagan religions start from primordial origins and then slowly expand.
that would be your duty.

but the correct way to say your tribe would be Etsakor yes? I think Edo is a Greater Ethnic group and includes the tribes of the Urhobo, Etsakor, Itsekri,etc.

Thought you meant state! Anyways, Esako is my local government and my tribe is Afema in Etsako-East.
Re: The God Debate by Nobody: 6:23pm On Mar 05, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

that would be your duty.

Thought you meant state! Anyways, Etsako is my local government and my tribe is Afema in Etsako-East.
Re: The God Debate by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:27pm On Mar 05, 2013
striktlymi:

Thought you meant state! Anyways, Etsako is my local government and my tribe is Afema in Etsako-East.

no i clearly asked Tribe. Tribal Religion and Tribe is related. whether you live in Etsako or on the Moon, your blood, "Afemai" wont change.

btw i think Urhobo , Itsekri, Afemai and all other Edo peoples are related.

(1) (2) (Reply)

A Child Breastfeeds From His Dead Mother's bosom- Picture Depressing / 10 Reasons The Crucifixion Story Makes No Sense / 5 Solid Proves That God Exists

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 124
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.