Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,554 members, 7,809,025 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:12 PM

Must One Wear Suit To An Interview/apptitude Test??? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Must One Wear Suit To An Interview/apptitude Test??? (20221 Views)

6 Things You Should Never Wear To An Interview / Is It Good For A Lady To Wear Trouser To An Interview? / He Missed An Interview Because……. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Must One Wear Suit To An Interview/apptitude Test??? by mariannlove(f): 11:40pm On Mar 04, 2013
jst want to knw if its compulsory for one to wear suit to an interview/apptiude test. Pls ur contributions wil be highly appreciated as am preparin for an interview.
Re: Must One Wear Suit To An Interview/apptitude Test??? by ezenwaez(m): 12:06am On Mar 05, 2013
Well it depends on the company, if its a bank then u must nack suit o but if its construction just a chinos and cool longsleeve would do.

2 Likes

Re: Must One Wear Suit To An Interview/apptitude Test??? by Moyola(f): 12:08am On Mar 05, 2013
nnyeah,
dependz on wat job,
juz dress appropriately.
Re: Must One Wear Suit To An Interview/apptitude Test??? by SirGbogs: 12:08am On Mar 05, 2013
I haven't been to a lot of interviews, but I don't think you can go wrong with a suit, or else otherwise stated by the interviewer. I think somewhere on this forum, I read of an interview where the applicants were told to come in traditional wear or something like that. A suit is very formal, best to go with it.
Re: Must One Wear Suit To An Interview/apptitude Test??? by gparker: 12:11am On Mar 05, 2013
Not necessarily, I often go for the casual corporate look. Not too casual, not too corporate. I've never been a suit person because of the hot weather in naija and I realize most interviewers won't crucify you or put you down because you didn't wear a suit (if you can pull off the casual corporate look).

Your dress code may also depend on the industry for example the banking industry loves the suit thing. Why don't you try the simple but cute gowns you can wear to work on a normal day, there are the kind you can also wear to church because it's decent & cute. Try that with a pair of high heel covered shoes.

Sir Gbogs: A suit is very formal, best to go with it.

Good advice, but it's often refreshing to see a candidate turn out differently but nicely without adorning a suit it's become so tiresome to see applicants all show up in the same attire (i.e the suit). I personally admire the ones that are bold enough to bone the whole suit thing and still look stylish & presentable, they stand out from the crowd. And if there's one thing you want to do at interviews it is to stand out, if you can make that happen with your appearance you've got a fighting chance at getting the job.

But OP don't make it all about your appearance oooo.

3 Likes

Re: Must One Wear Suit To An Interview/apptitude Test??? by SirGbogs: 12:43am On Mar 05, 2013
gparker: Not necessarily, I often go for the casual corporate look. Not too casual, not too corporate. I've never been a suit person because of the hot weather in naija and I realize most interviewers won't crucify you or put you down because you didn't wear a suit (if you can pull off the casual corporate look).

Your dress code may also depend on the industry for example the banking industry loves the suit thing. Why don't you try the simple but cute gowns you can wear to work on a normal day, there are the kind you can also wear to church because it's decent & cute. Try that with a pair of high heel covered shoes.

Good advice, but it's often refreshing to see a candidate turn out differently but nicely without adorning a suit it's become so tiresome to see applicants all show up in the same attire (i.e the suit). I personally admire the ones that are bold enough to bone the whole suit thing and still look stylish & presentable, they stand out from the crowd. And if there's one thing you want to do at interviews it is to stand out, if you can make that happen with your appearance you've got a fighting chance at getting the job.

But OP don't make it all about your appearance oooo.

Very wonderful advice. Even I have learnt something this morning. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Must One Wear Suit To An Interview/apptitude Test??? by eduno: 6:44am On Mar 05, 2013
for an interview "DRESS TO IMPRESS' and also let the words of your mouth be impressive.
there was a girl in my class that was denied a job because of the way she dressed even-though she was the best graduating student in my class

1 Like

Re: Must One Wear Suit To An Interview/apptitude Test??? by eduno: 6:45am On Mar 05, 2013
secondly suit is different suit(coat)...........lol

1 Like

Re: Must One Wear Suit To An Interview/apptitude Test??? by Malubi(m): 7:09am On Mar 05, 2013
NO. But you must be corporate; good and long scate that go below the knees, a shirt or good Top (4 girls). Plain trouser, shoes, shirt with neck tie it's Ok. For boys and etc. Remember NEVER leave your top or shirt flying outside. But suit is very good if you have Just put on. Thanks
Re: Must One Wear Suit To An Interview/apptitude Test??? by Caracta(f): 8:19am On Mar 05, 2013
For a girl, a suit is ok. But it depends on the company. I never wore suit to an interview...mostly 'corporate' gowns and the required type of shoes. You can't go wrong with that.

But if you still have doubts, wear a suit (to be on the safe side)
Re: Must One Wear Suit To An Interview/apptitude Test??? by egberipops(m): 9:01am On Mar 05, 2013
GUY WEAR SOMTIN ANYTIN BUT DNT OUT DRESS UR EMPLOYER ELSE HE WILL TINK U R A HIGH MAINTENANCE CHIK SO CAN Not HIRE YURI.....
Re: Must One Wear Suit To An Interview/apptitude Test??? by mariannlove(f): 2:53pm On Mar 05, 2013
thanks to you all for your contributions
Re: Must One Wear Suit To An Interview/apptitude Test??? by tmgtreasure(m): 3:11pm On Mar 05, 2013
Bros you are right, make God provide for people o ...
edun.o:
secondly suit is different suit(coat)...........lol
Re: Must One Wear Suit To An Interview/apptitude Test??? by AkinDavid2: 6:22pm On Mar 05, 2013
Don't waste your opportunity always be on suit for any interview..You may not have a second chance. undecided

6 Likes

Re: Must One Wear Suit To An Interview/apptitude Test??? by free2ryhme: 6:23pm On Mar 05, 2013
nope it is not compulsory
Re: Must One Wear Suit To An Interview/apptitude Test??? by IYANGBALI: 6:25pm On Mar 05, 2013
mariannlove: jst want to knw if its compulsory for one to wear suit to an interview/apptiude test. Pls ur contributions wil be highly appreciated as am preparin for an interview.
just wear ur undies and the job is all yours,I wish best of rod
Re: Must One Wear Suit To An Interview/apptitude Test??? by Sweetapple007(f): 6:26pm On Mar 05, 2013
No, u can wear traditional with cap that will do.

1 Like

Re: Must One Wear Suit To An Interview/apptitude Test??? by dayokanu(m): 6:27pm On Mar 05, 2013
Boxers and singlet would do.

Suit or "coat" na Oversabi

3 Likes

Re: Must One Wear Suit To An Interview/apptitude Test??? by charming4: 6:27pm On Mar 05, 2013
Interview, Yes! Aptitude test, not necessarily.
Re: Must One Wear Suit To An Interview/apptitude Test??? by BlackPeni5: 6:30pm On Mar 05, 2013
Nope...its not necessary. I once tied wrapper to a bank interview. cool

1 Like

Re: Must One Wear Suit To An Interview/apptitude Test??? by fe32(m): 6:31pm On Mar 05, 2013
find out about the company and try not to outdress them. Especially if you're going to a company that are always casually corporate as Gparker said. Just look presentable and wear more of confidence with good homework. Ofcourse if you are going to a bank, always deck your suit but in an industry like oil and gas,it depends on the organization and also on the position your going for.
Re: Must One Wear Suit To An Interview/apptitude Test??? by Revolva(m): 6:32pm On Mar 05, 2013
Omo d last one I went..I nak my jeans and tommy tshirts with ma NY cap..I no send suit
Re: Must One Wear Suit To An Interview/apptitude Test??? by Ijawboi(m): 6:33pm On Mar 05, 2013
Wear Rags like will smith in "the pursuit of happiness"...
Re: Must One Wear Suit To An Interview/apptitude Test??? by Nobody: 6:36pm On Mar 05, 2013
Suit is appropriate for an interview setting anyday anytime and not necessary for an apptitude test except if interview follow immediately after the test.
Re: Must One Wear Suit To An Interview/apptitude Test??? by Nobody: 6:36pm On Mar 05, 2013
Tests - almost 100% not necessary, except interview will follow test same day.

Interview - depends on role (Engineer or Accountant?).

1 Like

Re: Must One Wear Suit To An Interview/apptitude Test??? by DaGeeNius1(m): 6:36pm On Mar 05, 2013
Jst wear jeans n singlet!!!! Den figure out how dey shall respond 2 u.

2 Likes

Re: Must One Wear Suit To An Interview/apptitude Test??? by Nobody: 6:37pm On Mar 05, 2013
Black Peni5: Nope...its not necessary. I once tied wrapper to a bank interview. cool
were grin

2 Likes

Re: Must One Wear Suit To An Interview/apptitude Test??? by TableLeg(m): 6:37pm On Mar 05, 2013
Absolutely imperative unless stated otherwise!
Re: Must One Wear Suit To An Interview/apptitude Test??? by Nobody: 6:37pm On Mar 05, 2013
mariannlove: jst want to knw if its compulsory for one to wear suit to an interview/apptiude test. Pls ur contributions wil be highly appreciated as am preparin for an interview.

What role? What sector (if you can name company, better)?
Re: Must One Wear Suit To An Interview/apptitude Test??? by Nobody: 6:45pm On Mar 05, 2013
Naaaah pls put on Agbada!!! Tell the that if dem ask u too much questions u go change to swimming suits..

I thank God for that logic, now am a proud employee in Chevron.. But no be my fault if dem employ you as lifesaver for dem swimming pool grin
Re: Must One Wear Suit To An Interview/apptitude Test??? by Nobody: 6:49pm On Mar 05, 2013
depends on the company
if its a business/banking etc company i would wear a suit, just to give a good impression
if its a supermarket job, you can wear your wrapper grin grin lol, i joke, smart casual clothes will do
Re: Must One Wear Suit To An Interview/apptitude Test??? by tessyade: 6:50pm On Mar 05, 2013
Revolva: Omo d last one I went..I nak my jeans and tommy tshirts with ma NY cap..I no send suit
so what's the outcome, where you called after then?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Job In Maiduguri: Do I Accept? / Rivers And Delta Indigenes Are The Least Interested In Joining The Army / Fresh Graduate Recruitment At GSK Nigeria Plc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.