Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,903 members, 7,802,929 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:49 AM

5 Myths About Church Building Projects - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 5 Myths About Church Building Projects (696 Views)

Ogun Demolishes Redeemed Church Building As Worshippers Lament (Photo) / 5 Myths About Spiritual Spouse / Deeper Life GS, Brother Kumuyi Speaks The Truth About Church Traditions Here. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Myths About Church Building Projects by Nobody: 12:11pm On Mar 05, 2013
In my opinion these are 5 of the top 10 myths that people use to promote the initiation of building projects in the church.

Myth #1. This building will be used to reach the next generation of young people

Buildings do not reach the next generation. People reach other people. The reason why you cannot neglect this truth is because, the next generation rarely ever fills the pews of the previous generation. The next generation will have their own agenda to build, and I will guarantee it will differ from what the previous generation has visioned.

This reminds me of a story of a carpenter and his son. As the son was young, the father invested much time and money in training his son about the carpenter business. He bought lots of expensive tools and invested a lot into his business so that his son would have the best opportunities possible whenever he took over the business. But as the boy got older, he wanted to do something else besides being a carpenter. Of course you can see that much of what the father had envisioned in his boy would not come to fruition.

Myth #2. Once we build this, more people will come

I think we get fooled by the old cliché that says, “If you build it, they will come”. As if it’s a magnet or something? More or less what I think the premise behind that statement is, “once we upgrade our facility I’ll be more proud to invite people to this church”. Another thing that I don’t understand is that our encounter with God is not show and tell.

Remember when Elijah met God in the mountains? There was a fire, an earthquake, and mighty wind, but God was found in the spectacular display. He was subtle, and non-abrasive. God does not need a banner. What do we think? Don’t you think that the creation of heaven and earth is a good enough banner to advertise God?

Myth #3. This will help us reach our city

I understand that God gives us all things to use as tools to evangelize, but when you are “out there” reaching the city than that means you are not “inside” your building. So, in essence it’s not even helping you reach the city that is “out there”. The city will not reach for you.
Of course we are all familiar with the great commission, “Go out into all the world”. Need I say more? A church building is not mobile. It cannot get up and move, (not unless its on wheels) and start evangelizing and ministering to those in your city.

In conclusion of this point, how will your building and its facilities help you reach your city that cannot already be facilitated elsewhere?

Myth #4. This is God’s Storehouse

The storehouse in the Old Testament was the place where the Levites had stored what they had collected in tithes and offerings from the nation of Israel. Somehow in the New Testament, we’ve come up with a transferable analogy that the storehouse in the Old Testament is a picture of the church building in the New Testament. I have no clue where this idea stems from, because clearly these people haven’t read the verse that talks about our eternal storehouse. “Lay up for yourselves treasures in Heaven”, is the proper view of what our storehouse is today.

We need to stop dignifying the perishable church building as a religious icon. The world doesn’t need another icon. It only needs Jesus.

Myth #5. God wants us to build his kingdom

This is for those of you who think that God meant building his infrastructure on earth. Of course most of us agree that we need to be multiplying the number of saints rather than building real estate here on earth.

Outside of that thought how much of the Church body today really understands the concept that God is not trying to build an empire the size of your city’s zip code? For example we can look at the Mormons. They practically have downtown Salt Lake City, Utah under control of their regime.

This is kind of a rabbit trail, but there’s one thing that bugs me about churches locking their doors. I’m not talking about leaving their doors open at night for thieves to steal, but I’m talking about the churches who have 10 entrances and they only open 1 of the doors so they have better crowd control or that they are lazy to open all of them. I guess what I’m trying to see if how many of you went to walk into your church and then pulled onto the door handle and found out it was locked. This is just my opinion but what kind of message is that? Really? On the Sunday morning that it happens to a visitor, I hope the pastor doesn’t read the verse that says, “But he who enters by the door is the shepherd of the sheep. To him the doorkeeper opens, and the sheep hear his voice”. Also in the back of my head, I’m curious to the churches that even have their doors open at all during the week. So all that time, the building is just sitting there literally wasting away.

Source
Re: 5 Myths About Church Building Projects by Nobody: 1:47pm On Mar 05, 2013
Wait!

Your united church doesnt do one of the 5 you mentioned?

Abeg, post the link you used to have ab out your united church, let us see how "scriptural" they are
Re: 5 Myths About Church Building Projects by tpia5: 5:58pm On Mar 05, 2013
o tun ti ri'min.

always eyeing the cash undecided

(1) (Reply)

Pope’s Childhood Sweetheart Stunned, Says Never Expected Him To Be Pope / What Kind Of Prophet Of God That Will Marry A 6year Old Girl? / Because A Fool Has An Opinion….18 Becomes A Magic Number

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.