Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,901 members, 7,802,919 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:16 AM

Additional Strategies The Biafrans Should Have Adopted To Win The War!!!!!!!!!!! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Additional Strategies The Biafrans Should Have Adopted To Win The War!!!!!!!!!!! (3659 Views)

Obasanjo's Adopted Son, Udoh Henry At His 79th Birthday In Ogun State.pics / We Don't Belong To The Biafrans! A South/south Voices Out. / Doctrine Of NECESSITY Will Be Adopted To Swear In WIKE As Governor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Additional Strategies The Biafrans Should Have Adopted To Win The War!!!!!!!!!!! by SmartTalk: 1:38pm On Mar 05, 2013
Now, before you start reacting to the topic without understanding my reason for this post, a few caveats:
1. War is unnecessary. The Nigerian Civil war would have been avoided if Nigeria stuck to the terms agreed on in the Aburi Accord.
2. Biafra would rise again, but I do not think war with Nigeria would recur. Nigeria is doing a good job of destroying herself, so Biafrans only need to opt out when the madness reaches a head. Meanwhile we would just bid our time.
3. This is more of an intellectual exercise. Every country reappraise their pasts and see how they would have acted differently given the prevailing circumstance. Too many people comment with ignorance about the Civil War so encouraging this discussion makes us understand the subject more. This post is directed at those who blame the people running the Biafran effort but do not suggest what they would have done differently under similar conditions. I have concluded that if I was in the same shoes as Ojukwu, I would have done exactly the same thing. I would have seceded knowing that Nigeria was planning to invade the Eastern region after reneging on the Aburi peace agreement. This post is to discuss what extra efforts I would have made to defend the Biafran people from Nigerian Aggression.

A lot of the strategies adopted by Ojukwu were excellent given the conditions. Sun Tzu advices the general to avoid the strong part of your enemy and attack the weak. This was what Ojukwu did when he noticed the Nigerians were attacking from Nsukka and left their Eastern flank exposed. He sent a division to attack Lagos. If his subordinate had carried out the order to the letter, the outcome of the war would have been very different and Biafra would have been an independent country. But imagine Lagos was better protected, the tactics of Sun Tzu, himself, provides a template on "attacking directly to engage your enemy, attack indirectly to win". The Nigerian soldiers were pulled from the Nsukka axis and sent to protect Lagos. Encircling them, the way Sun Tzu did to the warriors from Chu, as they head for Lagos would have been a good strategy in such a scenario. This is illustrated in the Documentary below:

Watch the video below from 0:36:48 - 1:25:21. Especially 1:24:59 - 1:25:59

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BX_elvw-4c&rel=0&start=5099&end=5159&autoplay=1

While Nigeria adopted genocidal tactics to break the Biafran will, this only strengthened the will of the Biafran people. The most important asset a general should have, according to Sun Tzu, is the moral authority of the people - and Ojukwu had that. Till today, the Biafran spirit cannot be extinguished. The Nigerian soldiers, on the other hand, were not as motivated. They were motivated only by lies told to them, fear of Igbo domination and hatred of the Igbo people. They were not a disciplined force. The only advantage they had over Biafrans was international support. If the Biafrans had just enough guns, the Biafrans would definitely have won the war - this is not in doubt. But given the disadvantage, the only way of winning the war for a country not getting the same financial support is to take the war to the enemy. It is a tragedy that while the Biafrans were facing threat of genocide from the Nigerian soldiers, people were going about their normal daily businesses in Lagos, Kano, and other parts of Nigeria. I do not condemn Ojukwu for letting soldiers from other parts of Nigeria go safely with a rifle while Biafran soldiers and civilians were massacred. This is a good thing and in line with the Biafran Christian ideal. Other strategies should have been adopted to disrupt normal life in the major cities of Nigeria and force the Nigerians to pressure their government to stop the war. The best way for Biafran to fight Nigeria was not through a war of attrition but through Guerrilla tactics. A few examples:
1. Spies: The use of spies is a critical advice from Sun Tzu. There were Igbo people leaving in Nigeria under false names to evade persecution by the Nigerians. Since the Igbo are the best travelled and most cosmopolitan Nigerias, they can blend in to any environment and speaking other Nigerian languages can get them access to important information. I do not know the extent to which spies were used but their use would be critical to carrying out other suggestions I have.
2. Sabotage: Bombs should be placed to destroy important facilities in the Nigerian cities. Public buildings, stadiums, etc should be bombed - not to kill people but to create unease in the society. For example, place a bomb in an important building; call the management to alert them about the bomb and your intentions to detonate it in a few minutes so they can clear the building; detonate the bomb after the building is cleared so no one is killed. The aim is not to kill people but create sufficient panic so Nigerians question the benefit of fighting Biafra when their normal way of life is threatened. This method is adopted by Basque separatists ETA.
3. Assassination: Attempts should be made at the lives of Nigerian leaders authorizing genocide in Biafra. It's okay if you don't always succeed, you only have to be lucky once, they have to be lucky all the time. This would bring the nightmare they gave Biafrans everyday to their doorsteps.
4. Money: Nigeria was given money and support by the foreign powers that wanted Nigerian oil. Finances are important, this is why Nigeria changed the currency after Biafra seceded. It was a means of economic sabotage against Biafra. Biafra should have returned the favour by introducing a flood of counterfeit nairas on the Nigerian market. This would have served the purpose of buying essential items for Biafrans while destroying the value of the naira and creating inflation in the Nigerian economy. Small denomination notes should have been counterfeited by the Biafrans and introduced to Nigeria. Beggars are the best way to distribute these notes. Biafran spies should have given many of such notes to Nigerian beggars and destitutes.

These are the few strategies I can come up with now. Do feel free to add more. Add please, so this discussion does not get derailed IGNORE TROLLS. Silence is the best answer for fools, so please prove your intelligence by not engaging foolish commenters.
Re: Additional Strategies The Biafrans Should Have Adopted To Win The War!!!!!!!!!!! by Emperor007: 6:39pm On Mar 25, 2013
Biafrans should not have trusted SW, and should never again , especially in war related issues

Biafra needed to have strong foreign allies ( at least two ), even before embarking on the Aburi Accord, had some terms agreed on should ...

Insider ( saboteurs ) should have been better monitored and regulated

Re: Additional Strategies The Biafrans Should Have Adopted To Win The War!!!!!!!!!!! by russellino: 7:27pm On Mar 25, 2013
The things that bedeviled the biafran war effort were poor organisation, inefficiency and politics. Coupled with lack of weapons it was only a matter of time before the war would have been lost. However I believe that guerilla warfare should have been heavily used with conventional warfare kept for when there would have been an ample cache of weapons to sustain it. The nigerian army was very heavily armed and trained by superpowers and the arab world.

The terrain of the east would have been perfect for it. I also wonder why they weren't making serious effort to steal from the nigerians. Coupled with sound intelligence, a well trained unit of commandos could track and stun a convoy of weapons
Re: Additional Strategies The Biafrans Should Have Adopted To Win The War!!!!!!!!!!! by SmartTalk: 1:19pm On Mar 26, 2013
russellino: The things that bedeviled the biafran war effort were poor organisation, inefficiency and politics. Coupled with lack of weapons it was only a matter of time before the war would have been lost. However I believe that guerilla warfare should have been heavily used with conventional warfare kept for when there would have been an ample cache of weapons to sustain it. The nigerian army was very heavily armed and trained by superpowers and the arab world.

The terrain of the east would have been perfect for it. I also wonder why they weren't making serious effort to steal from the nigerians. Coupled with sound intelligence, a well trained unit of commandos could track and stun a convoy of weapons

The East would have been suited for Guerilla warfare, but it is best to draw the enemy away from your territory. It is not wise to allow all the killings to take place in the East. The other parts of Nigeria should not have been allowed to be in peace while people were dying in the East. If the casualty count on Nigerian soil was as many as it was on Biafran soil, the people of Nigeria would have begone to question the wisdom of the Biafran invasion. Availability of weapons is important, but tactics and strategies are more important.

Emperor_007: Biafrans should not have trusted SW, and should never again , especially in war related issues

Biafra needed to have strong foreign allies ( at least two ), even before embarking on the Aburi Accord, had some terms agreed on should ...

Insider ( saboteurs ) should have been better monitored and regulated

Keep in mind that the foreign powers who were involved in the war supported the part that they thought was most likely to win. If Victor Banjo had reached Lagos when he was supposed to, they could easily had switched sides, at least some of them. British companies operating on Biafran soil were sympathetic to the Biafran cause.
Re: Additional Strategies The Biafrans Should Have Adopted To Win The War!!!!!!!!!!! by Alfamann: 2:14pm On Mar 26, 2013
The greatest mistake was entrusting the command of the most important invasion in our short history to a man from the tribe of cowardice.

Just close your eyes for 10 seconds and imagine if the invasion to Lagos had been spearheaded by an Igboman. Imagine it.
Re: Additional Strategies The Biafrans Should Have Adopted To Win The War!!!!!!!!!!! by aljharem(m): 2:35pm On Mar 26, 2013
Another thing biafra could have done is to try to make sure ALL south south groups are for biafra and the SW and middle belt are neutals so your war would be easier.

Biafra as a young nation does not need to trust any nation but need to make sure they dont create enemies and are seen as neutrals by others.

Op

You made your first worst mistake by talking of attacking lagos. Automatically, you have successively created 3 enemies for biafra ( sw, ss and nc) not to talk of other countries such as benin, uk and co.

Secondly, by destroying buildings and not killing people tells your enemy that you are weak. A better way of doing things is to not even attack any one or thing but rather use diplomacy to fight. That way, even neutrals would fight your battle
Re: Additional Strategies The Biafrans Should Have Adopted To Win The War!!!!!!!!!!! by drlaykay(m): 2:52pm On Mar 26, 2013
The single problem was that there was no defined map before the war begun.the biafrans were confused(never knew who/where/when to attack and who/where/when not to).
Better luck next time.

1 Like

Re: Additional Strategies The Biafrans Should Have Adopted To Win The War!!!!!!!!!!! by OkparaIgbo: 3:06pm On Mar 26, 2013
The big issue I deduced from the war was our lack of transportation network in terms of water channels which in turn lead to lack of weapon and food and if GEJ in this his tenure can achieve that for us then we are smiling an buying time like you said. If we had an open waterway, it wouldn't have been difficult to ship in enough weapons of mass destruction as well as buying technological gadgets to reprogramme to our taste imagine programming an Ogbunigwe..! Oboy that would have just turned things around one time. Anyway whilst I don't support war, I believe if there is a reapeat, it will be kick ass on the Nigerians as we have so many military connections and personnel across the channels including the U.S and the bargaining power will be to our advantage
Re: Additional Strategies The Biafrans Should Have Adopted To Win The War!!!!!!!!!!! by T9ksy(m): 3:28pm On Mar 26, 2013
OkparaIgbo: Anyway whilst I don't support war, I believe if there is a reapeat, [b][/b] it will be kick ass on the Nigerians as we have so many military connections and personnel across the channels including the U.S and the bargaining power will be to our advantage

So wth are you biafran die-hards waiting for? This is your chance to "avenge" your losses

in the last war but make sure you can feed your civilian population, sha.

1 Like

Re: Additional Strategies The Biafrans Should Have Adopted To Win The War!!!!!!!!!!! by Nobody: 4:20pm On Mar 26, 2013
SmartTalk:
2. Biafra would rise again, but I do not think war with Nigeria would recur. Nigeria is doing a good job of destroying herself, so Biafrans only need to opt out when the madness reaches a head. Meanwhile we would just bid our time.

Your imagination is not ordinary! It is an inspired imagination!
Surely, Nigeria is gradually destroying herself.

We need to do some work now so as to be ready whenever it happens.
We should not be caught unprepared. For all I know, the Jihardists in the North will never reform.
It is a matter of time and 2015 might be the date with fate!
Re: Additional Strategies The Biafrans Should Have Adopted To Win The War!!!!!!!!!!! by SmartTalk: 4:22pm On Mar 26, 2013
Alfamann: The greatest mistake was entrusting the command of the most important invasion in our short history to a man from the tribe of cowardice.

Just close your eyes for 10 seconds and imagine if the invasion to Lagos had been spearheaded by an Igboman. Imagine it.

That probably would have ended differently. I put the Sun Tzu documentary video to address the scenario suggested by some that say that attacking Lagos was a suicide mission. I don't believe this scenario as Lagos was left without any protection.

dr.laykay:
The single problem was that there was no defined map before the war begun.the biafrans were confused(never knew who/where/when to attack and who/where/when not to).
Better luck next time.

Obviously you are not aware of the war history. Attacking Lagos as a strategy is not something that a confused army would do. Two nation states were at war so targets are clear.

OkparaIgbo: The big issue I deduced from the war was our lack of transportation network in terms of water channels which in turn lead to lack of weapon and food and if GEJ in this his tenure can achieve that for us then we are smiling an buying time like you said. If we had an open waterway, it wouldn't have been difficult to ship in enough weapons of mass destruction as well as buying technological gadgets to reprogramme to our taste imagine programming an Ogbunigwe..! Oboy that would have just turned things around one time. Anyway whilst I don't support war, I believe if there is a reapeat, it will be kick ass on the Nigerians as we have so many military connections and personnel across the channels including the U.S and the bargaining power will be to our advantage

The Biafra of the future would need to concentrate mainly on air power. If we have this, we do not need immediate access to the sea in times of hostilities as aerial bombardment would immediately widen our reach Biafra needs to purchase and build drones.
Re: Additional Strategies The Biafrans Should Have Adopted To Win The War!!!!!!!!!!! by SmartTalk: 4:26pm On Mar 26, 2013
noblezone:

Your imagination is not ordinary! It is an inspired imagination!
Surely, Nigeria is gradually destroying herself.

We need to do some work now so as to be ready whenever it happens.
We should not be caught unprepared. For all I know, the Jihardists in the North will never reform.
It is a matter of time and 2015 might be the date with fate!

Imagination? No, I don't think so. Look at how Somaliland emerged as the peaceful, though unrecognised, nation state in the madness of the wars in Somalia. We only need to wait for other members of the Nigerian heresy start fighting themselves and opt out as gently as it is allowed. However, I do agree with you that we need to be prepared for any eventuality.
Re: Additional Strategies The Biafrans Should Have Adopted To Win The War!!!!!!!!!!! by Nobody: 4:44pm On Mar 26, 2013
SmartTalk:

Imagination? No, I don't think so. Look at how Somaliland emerged as the peaceful, though unrecognised, nation state in the madness of the wars in Somalia. We only need to wait for other members of the Nigerian heresy start fighting themselves and opt out as gently as it is allowed. However, I do agree with you that we need to be prepared for any eventuality.

They are already doing that!
The Northern minorities are already severing ways with their task master.
The Niger Deltans are already saturated being Nigerians.

I think the only reason the South West is still being cautious is that they are yet feel the brunt the way the South East (genocide), North Central (forceful take over of their lands) and South South (internal colonisation of the oil wells) have felt the heat one after the other.

They almost had the heat during MKO saga, but the crises was averted when they were compensated with the presidency.

Yet, I know that it does not really matter, the North Central and the South south are enough to tackle the Jihardists. 2015, might be the date of fate!
Re: Additional Strategies The Biafrans Should Have Adopted To Win The War!!!!!!!!!!! by SmartTalk: 4:53pm On Mar 26, 2013
noblezone:

They are already doing that!
The Northern minorities are already severing ways with their task master.
The Niger Deltans are already saturated being Nigerians.

I think the only reason the South West is still being cautious is that they are yet feel the brunt the way the South East (genocide), North Central (forceful take over of their lands) and South South (internal colonisation of the oil wells) have felt the heat one after the other.

They almost had the heat during MKO saga, but the crises was averted when they were compensated with the presidency.

Yet, I know that it does not really matter, the North Central and the South south are enough to tackle the Jihardists. 2015, might be the date of fate!

Yes they are already fighting but it has not reached a head. When the North Central and the South South begin fighting against the North, that would be the ticket. This must happen first. And the Igbo must only watch at a distance, only interfering in terms of humanitarian aid and light military assistance. Getting too involved could quickly turn the anger away from the Core North and direct it towards the Igbo. Remember, despite Islamatisation effort, Tiv killings and all other oppression of the Northern minorities, the Northern minorities joined their muslim neighbours in killing Igbo people during the pogrom. Read www.afrikanistik-online.de/archiv/2011/3042

The coup plotters under the leadership of Lieutenant Colonel Murtalla Mohammed had initially aimed for secession. At the army headquarters in Lagos they had hoisted a flag that heralded a Republic of the North. The soldiers, however, were divided. The majority of the rank-and-file had been recruited in the Middle Belt, among the Tiv, Bachama, Berom and other minorities that were largely Christian or ‘traditionalist’. Most of them had little interest in joining a Republic of the North that would be dominated by the Hausa-Fulani. Under the NPC government, the minorities had never been given a chance to rule themselves. Their main political association, the United Middle Belt Congress, had continued its agitation for an autonomous Middle Belt Region, but the Hausa-Fulani elite had suppressed all separatist tendencies. Members of opposition parties had been bought off, intimidated or detained, and when the Tiv, the largest non-Muslim minority in the North, had risen in open revolt, their rebellion had been crushed by the army. Furthermore, in 1963 the Premier of the Northern Region had embarked on an Islamisation campaign to consolidate Hausa-Fulani hegemony in the potentially seditious Middle Belt. [119] The entire North, with its heterogeneous population, was to be united by a common faith and language, namely Hausa. This pacification strategy had created strong resentment among the minorities, but it seems that the fear of Igbo domination was stronger. When the army broke apart, the minorities did not side with their fellow-Christians from the South but joined the mobs that attacked the Igbo: "the killing spread out of the Muslim North into the Middle Belt areas where it was particularly savage. It was also much more indiscriminate with Christians and pagans as active as the Muslim soldiers among the killers". [120]

The same with the South South. Whatever partnership we shall have with the rest of Nigeria must be based firmly on mutual interests and not charity or fraternity. Otherwise they think you want to "dominate" them:

The creation of 12 states was also meant to sway the Eastern minorities to the federal side and instigate a revolt within the East. By taking charge of their own states, the minorities would have a chance to shake off Igbo rule. Under the administration of the Eastern Region, led by an Igbo prime minister, they had not been repressed as brutally as the Middle Belt minorities had been; [126] nevertheless most of them resented Igbo influence. Their main grievance was probably that Igbo traders and professionals had assumed such a prominent role in their economy. [127] Writing in the mid-1960s, a British social anthropologist described how one of these minority groups, the Kalabari, had experienced Igbo competition:

there was no longer anything to stop Ibo fishermen and fish traders from penetrating far into the Delta, and penetrate they did, in large numbers. Large-scale Ibo infiltration was bad enough in itself. What made it worse was the Kalabari man’s conviction that his Ibo neighbour, being far more willing to forego the elementary amenities of life, while still struggling to make his fortune would be able to undercut him sharply in the purchase and resale price of fish. Later still, large numbers of Ibo labourers began to drift into the seaport town of Abonnema, where again they competed all too effectively with local labour […]. Discontent over Ibo infiltration came to a head in 1947, with disturbances in Abonnema and other places and rumours (probably unfounded) of an impending massacre of Ibo. A great many Ibos left the Delta at this time; and their exodus relieved much of the tension. But although Kalabari fishermen and fish traders are far better organised today (1960s) than they were in the 1940s, they are still haunted by fears of an Ibo economic take-over of the Delta. [128]
Re: Additional Strategies The Biafrans Should Have Adopted To Win The War!!!!!!!!!!! by dayokanu(m): 5:00pm On Mar 26, 2013
Maybe Biafra should have headed North and attacked the hausa instead of invading the Midwest and Southwest thereby turning Neutrals against them.

Or Maybe heebo soldiers should have killed Azikwe and Okpara in January 1966 coup

2 Likes

Re: Additional Strategies The Biafrans Should Have Adopted To Win The War!!!!!!!!!!! by kettykin: 5:15pm On Mar 26, 2013
if Biafran Air-forces had destroyed the Sea ports in Lagos the Armoured Division in Kaduna and ibadan and their Armories ,The Federal forces would have had to go back to the drawing board , the biggest mistake according to Ojukwu was the Ore mistake even Britain acknowledged it as the turning point in the war Soyinka wrote about it too.
Re: Additional Strategies The Biafrans Should Have Adopted To Win The War!!!!!!!!!!! by SmartTalk: 5:19pm On Mar 26, 2013
kettykin: if Biafran Air-forces had destroyed the Sea ports in Lagos the Armoured Division in Kaduna and ibadan and their Armories ,The Federal forces would have had to go back to the drawing board , the biggest mistake according to Ojukwu was the Ore mistake even Britain acknowledged it as the turning point in the war Soyinka wrote about it too.

I want to thank you and others for addressing the topic and ignoring trolls.

Well, the mistake was not Ojukwu's, it was Victor Banjo's. The plan was to proceed to Lagos which was left unprotected. Stopping at Ore was a grievous miscalculation.

I like that military suggestions are focused on. I would also like other clandestine non-military actions to be suggested that could cause Nigeria economic sabotage.
Re: Additional Strategies The Biafrans Should Have Adopted To Win The War!!!!!!!!!!! by Nobody: 5:21pm On Mar 26, 2013
Hahahahahaha, can you imagine these jokers!!!! cheesy planning a biafran war on nairaland!!

Una don dey madt abi
Re: Additional Strategies The Biafrans Should Have Adopted To Win The War!!!!!!!!!!! by SmartTalk: 5:36pm On Mar 26, 2013
Technology is critical in fighting war. We have something to learn from Germany that developed guided missiles and Japan that developed a very complex hot air balloon device to fire bomb America. The importance of technology is the reason why Russian and American soldiers searched Germany for their best scientists and engineers after the end of the second world war. Getting the best German scientists was a matter of fierce competition among Russia and America and the German scientists help each side develop weapons and technologies they both used in fighting proxy wars during the cold war.
Re: Additional Strategies The Biafrans Should Have Adopted To Win The War!!!!!!!!!!! by texazzpete(m): 5:47pm On Mar 26, 2013
SmartTalk:

I want to thank you and others for addressing the topic and ignoring trolls.

Well, the mistake was not Ojukwu's, it was Victor Banjo's. The plan was to proceed to Lagos which was left unprotected. Stopping at Ore was a grievous miscalculation.

I like that military suggestions are focused on. I would also like other clandestine non-military actions to be suggested that could cause Nigeria economic sabotage.

I'd suggest the true troll is the one hell bent on exhuming old battles and dreaming of a lost glory.
Re: Additional Strategies The Biafrans Should Have Adopted To Win The War!!!!!!!!!!! by SmartTalk: 5:56pm On Mar 26, 2013
texazzpete:

I'd suggest the true troll is the one hell bent on exhuming old battles and dreaming of a lost glory.

Read the introduction son, and try to understand it. This is an academic exercise. To challenge clowns who keep saying the Biafrans did not fight the war the right way. I am challenging such people to tell us what they would have done differently. Now, if you don't mind, run along and keep complaining about everything as a typical Nigerian while I find solutions to the Nigerian problem.
Re: Additional Strategies The Biafrans Should Have Adopted To Win The War!!!!!!!!!!! by T9ksy(m): 6:28pm On Mar 26, 2013
One question that readily springs to my mind when biafrans go on talking about Banjo and ore is, assuming banjo reached Lagos, how the hell do Ojukwu expect to hang on to Lagos? Remembering that, the mid-west did not take kindly to Ojukwu's invading their region and have therefore commenced guerilla warfare aginst BLF?

Even with Banjo as the administrator, Yorubas will definately kick against Ojukwu's ragtag army on their soil so they too would ferociously resist ojukwu's "trojan's horse". Though, that is assuming he made banjo his "man friday" in the west, because there is no gaurantee that ojukwu will act as he wrote in his letter to banjo.

In essence, ojukwu would be fighting the north, mid-west and the yorubas-on 3fronts. It would have been a bloody war, far bloodier than what we experienced but in the end ojukwu would have still lost and ran off to god-knows-where though not before making greater and numerical enemies of her neighbours.
Re: Additional Strategies The Biafrans Should Have Adopted To Win The War!!!!!!!!!!! by Katsumoto: 6:38pm On Mar 26, 2013
SmartTalk:

A lot of the strategies adopted by Ojukwu were excellent given the conditions. Sun Tzu advices the general to avoid the strong part of your enemy and attack the weak. This was what Ojukwu did when he noticed the Nigerians were attacking from Nsukka and left their Eastern flank exposed. He sent a division to attack Lagos. If his subordinate had carried out the order to the letter, the outcome of the war would have been very different and Biafra would have been an independent country. But imagine Lagos was better protected, the tactics of Sun Tzu, himself, provides a template on "attacking directly to engage your enemy, attack indirectly to win". The Nigerian soldiers were pulled from the Nsukka axis and sent to protect Lagos. Encircling them, the way Sun Tzu did to the warriors from Chu, as they head for Lagos would have been a good strategy in such a scenario. This is illustrated in the Documentary below:

You miss the mark widely. First, Ojukwu sent 5000 soldiers to the West. Even if they got to Lagos, they would have been isolated from the main Biafran Army by long distance which would have meant their deaths. 5000 can't hold Lagos with millions surrounding them on all sides. Second, the Second division (Murtala) was formed from units from the 3rd Marine Commando (Adekunle) and from sons of the mid-west and west who joined the war efforts earnestly. Third,the mission of the Second Division wasn't to protect Lagos but to chase the Biafrans out. It was the Biafran Expeditionary Force that was vulnerable to an encirclement. A lake doesn't encircle the land around it.

2 Likes

Re: Additional Strategies The Biafrans Should Have Adopted To Win The War!!!!!!!!!!! by Katsumoto: 6:48pm On Mar 26, 2013
SmartTalk:
4. Money: Nigeria was given money and support by the foreign powers that wanted Nigerian oil. Finances are important, this is why Nigeria changed the currency after Biafra seceded. It was a means of economic sabotage against Biafra. Biafra should have returned the favour by introducing a flood of counterfeit nairas on the Nigerian market. This would have served the purpose of buying essential items for Biafrans while destroying the value of the naira and creating inflation in the Nigerian economy. Small denomination notes should have been counterfeited by the Biafrans and introduced to Nigeria. Beggars are the best way to distribute these notes. Biafran spies should have given many of such notes to Nigerian beggars and destitutes.

If Biafra wanted to be its own country, then relying on the Nigerian currency surely was a huge mistake. It gained initially from taking Nigerian currency in the East and in Benin to buy weapons but that was a short term strategy. It didn't develop its own revenues sources. As for your comment about Biafra introducing counterfeit currencies, that wouldn't have worked for two reasons:
1. Biafra didn't have the means to print currency
2. Even if it did, it had no means of getting it into Nigeria. After Nigeria changed its currency in 1968, it improved its border controls to ensure that old currency couldn't get in. This had the effect of turning the currency the Biafrans took from the Central banks in the East into paper. Old currency was even stopped in places like Lome.
3. Once new currency was introduced, international agencies wouldn't have accepted Nigerian currency from Biafrans for obvious reasons.
Re: Additional Strategies The Biafrans Should Have Adopted To Win The War!!!!!!!!!!! by Katsumoto: 6:57pm On Mar 26, 2013
SmartTalk: Now, before you start reacting to the topic without understanding my reason for this post, a few caveats:

What are these excellent strategies that Ojukwu adopted? What was the main point of the Biafran strategy? How did Biafra plan to win the war?
Re: Additional Strategies The Biafrans Should Have Adopted To Win The War!!!!!!!!!!! by owobokiri(m): 7:44pm On Mar 26, 2013
T9ksy:
Even with Banjo as the administrator, Yorubas will definately kick against Ojukwu's ragtag army on their soil so they too would ferociously resist ojukwu's "trojan's horse". Though, that is assuming he made banjo his "man friday" in the west, because there is no gaurantee that ojukwu will act as he wrote in his letter to banjo.

The same way the Yorubas are busy kicking against Fulani domination right there in Yorubaland? Is there any other major ethnic group in Nigeria that has a foreign monarchy lording it over her subjects for ages like we have the fulani do in Ilorin? Just quit the haughty bragging, you always struggle to be objective whenever Yoruba/Biafra/Awolowo/Ojukwu are mentioned. In war, the most ruthless wins! Period! If Ojukwu/Banjo arrived Lagos with enough men and ammo, there was little you and yours could have done other than to tighten your tribal anus.
Re: Additional Strategies The Biafrans Should Have Adopted To Win The War!!!!!!!!!!! by Nobody: 8:59pm On Mar 26, 2013
I hope you all know that technically this is treason?
Re: Additional Strategies The Biafrans Should Have Adopted To Win The War!!!!!!!!!!! by Nobody: 9:00pm On Mar 26, 2013
kettykin: if Biafran Air-forces had destroyed the Sea ports in Lagos the Armoured Division in Kaduna and ibadan and their Armories ,The Federal forces would have had to go back to the drawing board , the biggest mistake according to Ojukwu was the Ore mistake even Britain acknowledged it as the turning point in the war Soyinka wrote about it too.

you are right, only halfway.
Biafra should have focused on destroying Nigerian navy. Biafra could have done it through many ways.
Ojukwu did not understand the value of the navy. if he did, he could have targeted and destroyed the nigerian navy as his first sets of action even before launching any ground offensive.
once we lost the sea, we lost the war.
Re: Additional Strategies The Biafrans Should Have Adopted To Win The War!!!!!!!!!!! by Katsumoto: 9:02pm On Mar 26, 2013
re@lchange:

you are right, only halfway.
Biafra should have focused on destroying Nigerian navy. Biafra could have done it through many ways.
Ojukwu did not understand the value of the navy. if he did, he could have targeted and destroyed the nigerian navy as his first sets of action even before launching any ground offensive.
once we lost the sea, we lost the war.

That is very funny. Pray tell, how could Biafra have destroyed the Nigerian Navy? Please be specific.
Re: Additional Strategies The Biafrans Should Have Adopted To Win The War!!!!!!!!!!! by Nobody: 9:02pm On Mar 26, 2013
Morayo747: I hope you all know that technically this is treason?

no, this is called free speech.
nobody is planning any attack on nigeria.
mental exercise and sharing of those thoughts is what is called free speech.
Re: Additional Strategies The Biafrans Should Have Adopted To Win The War!!!!!!!!!!! by Nobody: 9:03pm On Mar 26, 2013
Katsumoto:

That is very funny. Pray tell, how could Biafra have destroyed the Nigerian Navy? Please be specific.

how many ships did nigeria have in 1967?
Re: Additional Strategies The Biafrans Should Have Adopted To Win The War!!!!!!!!!!! by Nobody: 9:04pm On Mar 26, 2013
owobokiri:

The same way the Yorubas are busy kicking against Fulani domination right there in Yorubaland? Is there any other major ethnic group in Nigeria that has a foreign monarchy lording it over her subjects for ages like we have the fulani do in Ilorin? Just quit the haughty bragging, you always struggle to be objective whenever Yoruba/Biafra/Awolowo/Ojukwu are mentioned. In war, the most ruthless wins! Period! If Ojukwu/Banjo arrived Lagos with enough men and ammo, there was little you and yours could have done other than to tighten your tribal anus.

Its ignorance that makes you think the ilorin people didn't choose the ruling house.

Well, since you come from a people that only just rose from bushmen to western civilization you won't understand how ancient kingdoms work!

Have you wondered why Bini have an Oba?

Do you know canada is subject to the Queen?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ajimobi's First-class schools in Oyo / Little Known Langa Langa Train Disaster Which Killed Nigerian Railways / A Tale Of Two Elections: How I Went From Sai Buhari To Go Jonathan!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 114
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.