Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,426 members, 7,781,244 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 11:12 AM

The Sultan Of Sokoto Demands Amnesty For #boko Haram - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Sultan Of Sokoto Demands Amnesty For #boko Haram (2420 Views)

Gov Fayose welcomes Sultan of Sokoto to Ekiti state (photos) / Photos Of Sokoto Residents On The Streets With Brooms, Shovels Over N1m Prize / President Jonathan With The Sultan, Emir Of Kano & Katsina (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Sultan Of Sokoto Demands Amnesty For #boko Haram by blackdream: 6:11pm On Mar 05, 2013
Sultan Demands Amnesty For
Boko Haram
The Sultan of Sokoto, Alhaji Mohammad
Saad Abubakar has urged President
Goodluck Jonathan to declare amnesty
for the members of the fundamentalist
sect, Boko Haram, as part of the
measures to halt the insurgency by the
group.
The Sultan who is also the President-General,
Nigerian Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs,
gave the advice at the central council
meeting of Jamatrul Nasril Islam (JNI) in
Kaduna on Tuesday, where he expressed his
deep concerns over the spate of bomb
attacks and kidnappings by terrorists in parts
of the country.
According to the Sultan, who chaired the
meeting, extending amnesty to the sect
members will pave way for dialogue between
the sect and the federal government.
Making reference to a similar amnesty
declared for militants in the Niger Delta, the
Sultan stated that “the type of amnesty that
ended militants’ unrest in the Niger Delta will
be suitable for the North.”
He added: “Initiating a restoration and
rehabilitation programme that would
integrate the terrorists into the larger society
will pave way for dialogue rather than
engaging them in an endless war.”
Sultan Abubakar noted that the amnesty will
enable the sect members lay down their arms
rather than the on-going military tactic by
the massive deployment of the Joint Task
Force (JTF) to the northern part of the
country.
The Federal Government had in 2008
declared amnesty for militants in the Niger-
Delta following years of incessant bomb
attacks on oil installations and kidnapping of
oil workers. The amnesty which involved
monthly payment and skill acquisition for the
former militants abroad has since restored
peace in the region and increased Nigeria’s
crude oil production.
The Sultan’s demand is similar to the one
made by the Northern Elders Forum during
its meeting in Kano last year. At the meeting,
the forum sought for amnesty for the Boko
Haram members as it was done with the
militants from the Niger Delta region during
the late Umaru Musa Yar’adua administration.
Condemning the state of insecurity across
the country, the Islamic leader attributed the
security challenges to the injustice meted
against the masses by political leaders which
resulted in the taking up of arms by various
groups.
Boko Haram has been staging insurgency
attacks against the Nigerian government,
demanding for an imposition of Sharia Law
across the country. The insurgency attack is
reported to have claimed over 3,000 civilian
lives.
Polio Attacks
On polio outbreak and other epidemics in
some states in the North, the Sultan said JNI
will continue to work with the Ministry of
Health and other relevant agencies to ensure
that children in the region are immunised
against such deadly diseases.
Also speaking, the Minister of State for
Health, Mr. Mohammed Pate, condemned the
recent killing of nine health workers in Kano
and lamented that most parents in the North
are yet to accept immunisation for their
children. This situation, he said, has hindered
the eradication of polio in the country.
Nigeria, Afghanistan and Pakistan are the
Only countries in the world where polio still
exists.
The conference hall of the JNI headquarters
in Kaduna was filled to capacity with
prominent Islamic scholars and leaders from
across the country, converging to discuss
issues affecting Muslims and the country at
large.
Re: The Sultan Of Sokoto Demands Amnesty For #boko Haram by Les: 6:26pm On Mar 05, 2013
Coming from a sultan Dat man needs to be investigated..... ... 9ja do fast and divide, I rather live in pits and bushes alone that to live in cities wit this phycos and be butchered like fowl and still requests for amnesty!! God where art thy vengeance?
Re: The Sultan Of Sokoto Demands Amnesty For #boko Haram by otokx(m): 6:42pm On Mar 05, 2013
surprised
Re: The Sultan Of Sokoto Demands Amnesty For #boko Haram by blackdream: 6:44pm On Mar 05, 2013
The sultan is demanding for amnesty because Yar'adua declared it for Niger-delta militant. So they want it too for their own armed group.
Re: The Sultan Of Sokoto Demands Amnesty For #boko Haram by Chanchit: 7:16pm On Mar 05, 2013
That man should be arrested and flogged according to sharia law..! Nansense.
Re: The Sultan Of Sokoto Demands Amnesty For #boko Haram by Dreal1247: 7:52pm On Mar 05, 2013
blackdream: The sultan is demanding for amnesty because Yar'adua declared it for Niger-delta militant. So they want it too for their own armed group.
Bh wants 2 islamise Nigeria. What is their economic importance? Niger-delta has oil wells that feeds the nation. The people were being marginalized then. If u are opportuned 2 visit where d oil that was used 2 develop Abuja was drilled from, u wil shed tears. Buhari and Atiku promised Gej of making Nigeria ungovernable 4 him if he became d president which every reasonable person must assume is d orign of Bh. Now Buhari wants 2 come back as d president of d country dat he is making ungovernable 4 d incumbent president. D poor Gej, they av succeeded in painting him black before everyone that cares to believe. They are bent on twarting every effort that he puts in. Though i an not campaigning 4 him, but i know that with his goodluck he will surely overcome them.
Do they have any positive contribution 2 the economy from where d amnesty could b financed or the Sultam himself is d one to finance it. It will b better 2 allow then 2 cripple their north. At most, the southerners wil vacate their north 4 then. After all, they av very little or no contribution 2 d economy.
Let their sponsors provide amnesty 4 then. If the Sultan is bold enough 2 demand 4 amnesty 4 bh, then he is part of then. Why cant they say the truth? God wil help Gej.

2 Likes

Re: The Sultan Of Sokoto Demands Amnesty For #boko Haram by Hadone(m): 10:03pm On Mar 05, 2013
Re: The Sultan Of Sokoto Demands Amnesty For #boko Haram by Ngwakwe: 12:05am On Mar 06, 2013
He should as well demand that the dead victims of Boko haram, should come back to life
Re: The Sultan Of Sokoto Demands Amnesty For #boko Haram by Obiora4life: 12:19am On Mar 06, 2013
If they ever give amnesty, my people we need to form our own militant group. Terrorism and militancy pays.
Re: The Sultan Of Sokoto Demands Amnesty For #boko Haram by Nobody: 12:38am On Mar 06, 2013
But why are Nigerian journalists this dense? Do they know what the word "demand" means?
Re: The Sultan Of Sokoto Demands Amnesty For #boko Haram by Nobody: 1:04am On Mar 06, 2013
This is funny!! Seriously!
Someone wants to join billionaire club wink
I dint know poverty in sokoto is now affecting sultan
Ngwanu stupid FG go and feed those lazy son of b"tches! jst be aware they will keep asking for more until eternity!
Re: The Sultan Of Sokoto Demands Amnesty For #boko Haram by Nobody: 2:20am On Mar 06, 2013
why not? infact, BH should be paid monthly salary too. Afterall, GEJ has proven that terrorism/militancy pays. Former MEND militants are receiving salary while GEJ also pay for their study in schools abroad. clueless govt!
Re: The Sultan Of Sokoto Demands Amnesty For #boko Haram by Maxymilliano(m): 6:36am On Mar 06, 2013
Since the Sultan seems to know more about Boko Haram elements than the Presidency, he can as well take it further by identifying the face behind the mask and save the government further stress of chasing a faceless enemies from Nigeria to Mali.

1 Like

Re: The Sultan Of Sokoto Demands Amnesty For #boko Haram by Nobody: 7:08am On Mar 06, 2013
The Niger Delta militants, fought for an understandable cause, though I'm not in their support, but the BH fighting to islamize Nigeria, no no no no no... They should all be massacred, once the FG proposed an amnesty plan for them to cease fire, but they refused, opportunity comes but once, let them destroy themselves and their lands, bloody fanatics...
Re: The Sultan Of Sokoto Demands Amnesty For #boko Haram by fkaz(m): 7:16am On Mar 06, 2013
Should incase jona grant them(boko haram) amnesty during his visit to borno tomorrow.
Then i will suggest OPC and MASSOB to step up their game and get ready for their own

1 Like

Re: The Sultan Of Sokoto Demands Amnesty For #boko Haram by BedLam: 7:19am On Mar 06, 2013
It is now so clear that God is beginning to purnish somebody!
Re: The Sultan Of Sokoto Demands Amnesty For #boko Haram by ochukoccna: 7:41am On Mar 06, 2013
Anyone with the sense of a goose would know it would come to this
Whilst it is true that the ND militants agitated for resource control,it is an open secret this agitation was instigated by the likes of Ebele's political godfather i.e. Edwin Clark and his ilk who used it to obtain and leverage political power and have not differed from other ethnic blocs [particularly the Hausa-Fulani who are the scape goat for Nigeria's woes] in how the country is governed
In fact Ebele's handling of the country has almost run Nigeria aground
I have always maintained and still maintain, Ebele should have convoked an SNG to break the ruling elite's hegemony and patronage of the current system
Rather he has gone about to erect his own base whilst maintaining the Nigerian status quo forgoing his chance to be the 'true founding father' of Nigeria because he never had that seed of greatness in him despite having the presidency dropped on his laps by fate

It is befuddling that the Northern governors too have joined in the Sultan's chorus http://thenationonlineng.net/new/news/north-seeks-amnesty-for-boko-haram-suspects/ easily developing amnesia to the fact that no sane nation negotiates with terrorists
[size=18pt]But Nigeria is no sane place[/size] undecided undecided
Think of all the churches bombed, the innocent people killed, the businesses destroyed, the trust that has been shattered as Nigeria has come to this sorry pass
But this is Nigeria, where anything happens, where things work upside down, where terrorism [economic and religious]is used to oppress and subjugate and hold to ransom an anaemic nation
cry cry cry cry cry
Re: The Sultan Of Sokoto Demands Amnesty For #boko Haram by gratiaeo(m): 7:46am On Mar 06, 2013
Amnesty for kidnappers first of curse they started before B haram
Re: The Sultan Of Sokoto Demands Amnesty For #boko Haram by Nobody: 8:38am On Mar 06, 2013
se una see wetin Jona Amnesty for im terrorists brodas MEND don cause now, abi? Very soon now some ppl go begin dey ask amnesty for armed robbers, ritualist, kidnappers etc.

emmysenior:
The Niger Delta militants, fought for an understandable cause, though I'm not in their support, but the BH fighting to islamize Nigeria, no no no no no... They should all be massacred, once the FG proposed an amnesty plan for them to cease fire, but they refused, opportunity comes but once, let them destroy themselves and their lands, bloody fanatics...

grin grin....your comment has hypocrisy and bigotry written all over it. I am certain MEND cause would not seem 'understandable' to you if one of your relations was killed by MEND's bullet...or had they been northerners...FYI just like MEND terrorism seem 'understandable' to you, so do BH terrorism to many others. This is exactly what is wrong with our dear country. We hesitate to call a spade a spade because of religious and ethnic sentiments.

FYI, I no blame Sultan of Sokoto at all at all for this one. After all, if we throw away sentiments, the maths is very simple:

Amnesty for MEND = Amnesty for BH
Salary for former MEND terrorists = Salary for Former BH Terrorists
Study Abroad Scholarship for Former MEND terrorists = Study Abroad scholarship for Former BH terrorists
Re: The Sultan Of Sokoto Demands Amnesty For #boko Haram by Biggyd2: 9:25am On Mar 06, 2013
Yes, amnesty should be granted to all such islamic groups in the North,and every other group in the Country fighting for one thing on the other. Government should even buy properties for each of them, send them abroad for training and put them on salaries for miserable lives!

Our people are busy fighting in Mali for a problem caused by these people and a so called educated person is here asking that they be granted amnesty!O ga o.

My take is that this man is playing to the gallery. He has seen that BH also kill islamic religious leaders so he wants them to believe that he is on their side. If not, this guy knows more about this group than he his telling.
Re: The Sultan Of Sokoto Demands Amnesty For #boko Haram by blackdream: 1:07pm On Mar 06, 2013
Help me take this topic to the front page. Pls i beg ‎​u guys.
Re: The Sultan Of Sokoto Demands Amnesty For #boko Haram by maasoap(m): 1:40pm On Mar 06, 2013
As long as amnesty doesn't include monthly payment of 65,000 naira to their members. We just need a peaceful Nigeria where citizens can travel from North to South without fear of being attacked or blown away.
Re: The Sultan Of Sokoto Demands Amnesty For #boko Haram by maasoap(m): 1:48pm On Mar 06, 2013
[quote author=Biggyd2]Yes, amnesty sud be granted to all such islamic groups in the North,and every other group in the Country fighting 4 one thing on the other. Govt should even buy properties for each of them,
You're talking gibberish. Do you even know the meaning of amnesty at all? Well, when an averag Nig hears d word amnesty, what readily come into his/her mind is money. Amnesty is not about money, it's about state pardon in the interest of peace. Are u not disturbed d way our police are being killed?
Re: The Sultan Of Sokoto Demands Amnesty For #boko Haram by PROUDIGBO(m): 2:11pm On Mar 06, 2013
Les: Coming from a sultan Dat man needs to be investigated..... ... 9ja do fast and divide, I rather live in pits and bushes alone that to live in cities wit this phycos and be butchered like fowl and still requests for amnesty!! God where art thy vengeance?

^^^Hehehehehe grin grin grin
Re: The Sultan Of Sokoto Demands Amnesty For #boko Haram by Nobody: 2:40pm On Mar 06, 2013
That is why I will never vote for Buhari. That is the first thing he would do, should he become president.
Re: The Sultan Of Sokoto Demands Amnesty For #boko Haram by maasoap(m): 3:07pm On Mar 06, 2013
kenis: That is why I will never vote for Buhari. That is the first thing he would do, should he become president.
May be you don't want peace through peaceful means. But the fact is that violence and use of force can only suppress them but can't end it. We'll just be in this unrest for eternity. You had better have a rethink about your resolution.

1 Like

Re: The Sultan Of Sokoto Demands Amnesty For #boko Haram by Les: 4:07pm On Mar 06, 2013
maasoap: May be you don't want peace through peaceful means. But the fact is that violence and use of force can only suppress them but can't end it. We'll just be in this unrest for eternity. You had better have a rethink about your resolution.
wat u talking, islamizing 9ja is peace??

1 Like

Re: The Sultan Of Sokoto Demands Amnesty For #boko Haram by Obiora4life: 4:21pm On Mar 06, 2013
maasoap: May be you don't want peace through peaceful means. But the fact is that violence and use of force can only suppress them but can't end it. We'll just be in this unrest for eternity. You had better have a rethink about your resolution.

Give them an inch, they want a mile. Give them amnesty today, tomorrow they will demand sharia law on ALL Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: The Sultan Of Sokoto Demands Amnesty For #boko Haram by omonnakoda: 4:41pm On Mar 06, 2013
Remind us what their grievance is again

1 Like

Re: The Sultan Of Sokoto Demands Amnesty For #boko Haram by Biggyd2: 4:52pm On Mar 06, 2013
maasoap:

Really? In this country? Grant them amnesty without any compensation in Nigeria? Like, seriously? With the precedence already in the country? I know I am talking gibberish but just let me be with my gibberish!

And in the unlikely event that amnesty is granted these groups, what happens to all the innocent people that they have killed already? Who grants them justice? What amount of compensation will bring them back? Who will console the people they left behind?Boko Haram? I beg no vex, I still believe in what I said earlier. Government HAS NO BUSINESS NEGOTIATING WITH TERRORISTS(ESPECIALLY FACELESS ONES LIKE BH)! And incase you haven't heard the latest breaking news, the leader of BH has said that they are not interested in negotiating with your government! Thanks.
Re: The Sultan Of Sokoto Demands Amnesty For #boko Haram by Biggyd2: 4:52pm On Mar 06, 2013
omonnakoda: Remind us what their grievance is again

Thanks for that question.
!
Re: The Sultan Of Sokoto Demands Amnesty For #boko Haram by saintohia: 6:18pm On Mar 06, 2013
Maxymilliano: Since the Sultan seems to know more about Boko Haram elements than the Presidency, he can as well take it further by identifying the face behind the mask and save the government further stress of chasing a faceless enemies from Nigeria to Mali.

^^^^^^

They know themselves, all northern Muslim governors, elites, + Sultan ...

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Oil Revenue: Audit Firm Submits Report –sanusi, Amaechi, APC, Buhari, OBJ Lied / Keke Napep Driver Fighting Nude With Vio (vehicle Inspection Officer) / As Easy As PDP (to Defeat) By Sonala Olumhense - A Must Read !!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.