Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,868 members, 7,798,904 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 12:03 PM

Who Is Your Local Government Chairman And What Does He/she Do? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who Is Your Local Government Chairman And What Does He/she Do? (27871 Views)

Who Is Your Local Government Chairman And What Project Have He/she Executed? / Have You Ever Bothered To Find Out Who Your Local Government Chairman Is / Former Ikeja Local Government Chairman, Toyin Amzat Shot Dead (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Is Your Local Government Chairman And What Does He/she Do? by Nobody: 4:08pm On Mar 08, 2013
Do you realize majority of our problems are caused by these goons? Please if you come across/live in a dirty, unkempt LGA, post pictures of the streets and name and shame the LGA chairman! We set sights towards the Federal government and forget the ones getting fat at the LG level.

Nigeria has 774 local government areas.

Each local government area is administered by a Local Government Council. The Council comprises of a Chairman who is the Chief Executive of the LGA, and other elected members who are referred to as Councillors.

The Chairman is normally elected, but can, under special circumstances, also be appointed. He/she supervises the activities of the local government and presides over all meetings of the Council

A Local Government Council is the pivot of socio-economic planning and development in its area of authority. Being also the tier of government closest to the people, it is considered a most important facilitator of economic and social development at the grassroots.

http://www.onlinenigeria.com/government/?blurb=143

Functions of the LGA

(a) Responsibility for basic environmental sanitation and other aspects of preventive health services;
(b) Administration of maternity centres, dispensaries and leprosy clinics and Health Centres;
(c) Construction and maintenance of roads and drains, excluding federal and state roads; (That dirty gutter you jump everyday to work, do you realize there's a body responsible to clean it up?)
(d) Jurisdiction over local inland waterways not designated as international water ways;
(e) Rural water supply and extension of urban water supply;
(f) Construction, and maintenance of primary schools;
(g) Agriculture and veterinary extension services;
(h) Town Planning;
(i) Care of markets, motor parks, and gardens;
(j) Maintenance of law and order; and
(k) Afforestation.

The Local Government should, in addition, provide:
i) Inspection of meat and abattoirs
ii) Nursery, primary and adult-education
iii) Information and public enlightenment
iv) Scholarships and bursaries
v) Public libraries and reading rooms
vi) Agricultural and animal health extension services and
veterinary clinics.
vii) Fire services
viii) Lighting and drainage
ix) Support for arts and culture
x) Control of pollution
xi) Control of beggars and prostitution,
xii) Homes for destitutes, the infirm and orphans
xiii) Public utilities including road and water transport
xiv) Public housing programmes
xv) Regulation and control of buildings
xvi) Town and country planning
xvii) Operations of commercial undertakings
xviii) Control of traffic and parking
xix) Pipe sewerage systems

[url]http://www.africaleadership.org/rc/local%20government%20council%20in%20nigeria.pdf[/url]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Is Your Local Government Chairman And What Does He/she Do? by Nobody: 4:10pm On Mar 08, 2013
Another useful topic that questions the usefulness of the LG in Nigeria.

https://www.nairaland.com/1106854/local-governments-useful-nigeria
Re: Who Is Your Local Government Chairman And What Does He/she Do? by tpia5: 4:22pm On Mar 08, 2013
no idea, but do the LGs have websites?

i think they're supposed to have those.
Re: Who Is Your Local Government Chairman And What Does He/she Do? by genxris: 4:41pm On Mar 08, 2013
In Abia and most other states in Nigeria the local government chairman position including counsellors are just positions reserved for settling family members,friends and associates,after 6months of staying in the office the governor will dissolve them and swear in a new set loyalists to come and have their own share of the cake.
Take note that the LG caretaker chairman is not expected to embark on any capital project because the allocation he/she receives whenever it comes is just meant for paying workers salaries and his security vote.
The only people that need to know the LG chairman name are the council workers and his friends and family who will benefit from his/her elevation.

1 Like

Re: Who Is Your Local Government Chairman And What Does He/she Do? by Maxymilliano(m): 5:52pm On Mar 08, 2013
This is a very good topic, I sincerely hope it get the attention it deserved from the authority concerned here and perhaps get stickied.

Sometimes, comments you read on this forum vis-a-vis the politic section shows misplaced aggression, and a clear indication of how ignorant some folks can be on the appropriate path to demand for accountability from government, especially the government tiers close to the grassroot and how it effective it has been in delivering the 'elusive' dividend of democracy...

This same folks only find their voice when it comes to name-calling and casting aspersion on the Presidency.
Re: Who Is Your Local Government Chairman And What Does He/she Do? by onandon: 1:26pm On Mar 09, 2013
Shouldn't this be on the front page ?
The only noticeable thing I see the local govt folks in my zone do is patch the roads.
Re: Who Is Your Local Government Chairman And What Does He/she Do? by Nobody: 4:56pm On Mar 09, 2013
genxris: In Abia and most other states in Nigeria the local government chairman position including counsellors are just positions reserved for settling family members,friends and associates,after 6months of staying in the office the governor will dissolve them and swear in a new set loyalists to come and have their own share of the cake.
Take note that the LG caretaker chairman is not expected to embark on any capital project because the allocation he/she receives whenever it comes is just meant for paying workers salaries and his security vote.
The only people that need to know the LG chairman name are the council workers and his friends and family who will benefit from his/her elevation.

This must be sarcasm. An LG chairman is just there to disperse funds? I assumed a chairman is there to supervise his Councillors and the activities assigned to the post.

Please you guys in Nigeria post pictures of streets or public establishments you know that are dire need of rehabilitation. Name the LGA, we'll then surf the web to fish out the LGA chairman and his councillors. Even if they don't have a website, they would have been tagged to one naming/wedding/burial ceremony of one chief or so wink. So don't fret. We will catch them. wink
Re: Who Is Your Local Government Chairman And What Does He/she Do? by ifyalways(f): 5:15pm On Mar 09, 2013
Stay in 2 LGA's. Eti-osa west is doing nothing as far as I'm concerned. Besides with LCC all over every project its hard to know who is doing what. Most amenities here are either provided by chevron ,chevron estate tenants/landlords or banks.

Ikoyi/obalende LGA chairman is doing a good job with road and drainage construction.

Unfortunately, I've got no pictures.

Home
Önitsha north LGA. Hmmmn, whoever is in the helm of affairs there is serious about "keeping enu-Önicha" clean. But then the residents keep piling their shyte on the road and drainages making all his efforts look useless.
Re: Who Is Your Local Government Chairman And What Does He/she Do? by Nobody: 5:28pm On Mar 09, 2013
In bariga here, local government is an idea lipsrsealed this LG thing should be scraped, seriously i don't see their relevance..except for owambes and weddings.. thats where their office title hold meaning
Re: Who Is Your Local Government Chairman And What Does He/she Do? by Bontee: 3:09am On Mar 28, 2013
LGA's cannot work in the present Nigerian structure or system except they decide to commit themselves and do the needful things. They lack the capacity and empowerment to fulfill those long of duties ascribed to them in the constitution. We should not forget the place of corruption and the Nigerian factor in relation to the present state of what is obtainable right now.

I don't think shaming them on the internet will make them change their ways, the only way forward is for competent people to be involved in the day to day running of their community. They mostly just pay salaries, collect some levies, taxes, maintain some roads, drainage and one or two things more. There is a huge overlap of duties between States and LGA'S as well. The system has programmed governance to be a failure and highly manipulative by people of special interest.

We actually need local governments and i say not the present constituted states, it is the best means of spreading development in my opinion. Well i don't know my local government chairman and clearly do not know what he or she is presently doing.

This is Yaba LCDA http://www.yabagov.org/ and OJO LGA http://ojolga.org/

Ekiti state has the best info dedicated to local government administration i guess.
Re: Who Is Your Local Government Chairman And What Does He/she Do? by researchwork: 1:54pm On Jan 13, 2016
the above topic is a good topic.

to known more on local government and rural development,you need read this research work. http://www.projectandresearchwork.com/122-2/
Re: Who Is Your Local Government Chairman And What Does He/she Do? by jamace(m): 1:59pm On Jan 13, 2016
Just share money among political elites and the political godfather, and pay ghost workers. Dazz all.

(1) (Reply)

How Oil Barons, Others Hijacked Senate, House Election / IG Of Police Says ‘thugs’ Tried To Enter NASS, Insists Tambuwal Is Not Speaker / Buhari’s Magic Hand And Other Photos From Campaign Trail

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.