Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,477 members, 7,808,745 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:10 PM

African Footballers That Never Won Apoty Award - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / African Footballers That Never Won Apoty Award (14795 Views)

Top Seven Most Expensive Cars Owned By African Footballers / Sagamite's Top 30 Greatest African Footballers Of All Time / Which Are The Top 10 African Footballers At The Moment? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Footballers That Never Won Apoty Award by Soso990240(m): 2:09pm On Mar 09, 2013
femi4: We dey talk about African player, u dey mention Cannavaro
u wer sayin defenders and midfielder,nt africans only..anybdy can win striker or no striker.jst dey ontop of ur game.
Re: African Footballers That Never Won Apoty Award by OkikiOluwa1(m): 2:09pm On Mar 09, 2013
Its a pity Okocha never won the African Footballer of the year award.
Re: African Footballers That Never Won Apoty Award by Cmoyor: 2:09pm On Mar 09, 2013
Wat of Sunday Mba
Re: African Footballers That Never Won Apoty Award by tessyade: 2:10pm On Mar 09, 2013
akorlade: Mustapha hadji should have won it atleast once.
He won it in 98.
Re: African Footballers That Never Won Apoty Award by abifoluwa: 2:13pm On Mar 09, 2013
DMainMan:

Okocha caused it. He is very stingy and likes money so much. Big clubs wanted him but ignored dem at his prime.

Dat is y it is always gud to b gud. Help d needy, show luv and care to d poor. B a philantropist. It is d repercussion dat he is facing now. I dont pity him at all.
wow what the actual Bleep?! Are you blaming your problems on jay jay? angry

2 Likes

Re: African Footballers That Never Won Apoty Award by 1shortblackboy: 2:20pm On Mar 09, 2013
I suppose win am for 2001 o wen I score 360 goals for my street why my name no dey there enh ? undecided
Re: African Footballers That Never Won Apoty Award by akintun: 2:29pm On Mar 09, 2013
I think it should have been given to Okocha at least once. he deserved it at some point.

I've noticed that in Africa, anyone other than strikers are under-appreciated.
(Quote) (Report) (Like)

Okocha was a great African player, but d truth is dat those dat won it during his time were better dat year. I can remember watching d 1998 world cup and Mustapha Hadji was just head and shoulder above every other African player at dat world cup.
Re: African Footballers That Never Won Apoty Award by Freiburger(m): 2:39pm On Mar 09, 2013
Benni McCarthy & j j Okocha deserved something.
Re: African Footballers That Never Won Apoty Award by yommys01(m): 2:40pm On Mar 09, 2013
akintun: I think it should have been given to Okocha at least once. he deserved it at some point.

I've noticed that in Africa, anyone other than strikers are under-appreciated.
(Quote) (Report) (Like)

Okocha was a great African player, but d truth is dat those dat won it during his time were better dat year. I can remember watching d 1998 world cup and Mustapha Hadji was just head and shoulder above every other African player at dat world cup.
If we judge by that then Okocha should have won it in 2004 as he was hands down the best player in Africa that year. Got Bolton to the semis of the Carling cup ( now capital one cup ), disgraced Arsenal, Chelsea, United and even to some extend Liverpool. He was even top scorer at the Afcon that year.

However, like others, I blame his greed. I am one of those who strongly believe he had what it takes to be better than Zidane unfortunately he chose money. He would have been more talked about if he had joined United in 1998 when they wanted him ( when he was with Fenerbache and they beat United 1-0 at old tradfford ) or when Chelsea wanted him while he was at Bolton.

I am one of his greatest fans but he is a disgrace and a big disappointment.

2 Likes

Re: African Footballers That Never Won Apoty Award by pholusac: 2:41pm On Mar 09, 2013
JideTheBlogger:

Victor Moses, if Chelsea can win Europa league+ FA cup
I hope so
Re: African Footballers That Never Won Apoty Award by TableLeg(m): 2:42pm On Mar 09, 2013
Rigobert Song shouldn't be on that list Jarus...
He was crap!
Re: African Footballers That Never Won Apoty Award by Freiburger(m): 2:43pm On Mar 09, 2013
Table Leg :
Rigobert Song shouldn't be on that list Jarus...
He was crap!
I wonder. cheesy
Re: African Footballers That Never Won Apoty Award by Nobody: 2:51pm On Mar 09, 2013
Soso990240: what wing does cannavaro play?
For every 1 defender, there are 5 forwards that have won it. That's my point. Never said a defender cannot win it.
Re: African Footballers That Never Won Apoty Award by femmy2010(m): 2:55pm On Mar 09, 2013
ebamma: Where is Abel taraabt of Qpr, that guy is good

Has the Award become a joke?
TARA wetin?
Re: African Footballers That Never Won Apoty Award by Nobody: 2:56pm On Mar 09, 2013
JideTheBlogger:

If he plays active part. You don't win POY award with sub role. That's why I fear Yaya may still clinch 2013 with his consistent performance at City, despite disappointing AFCON, where, inspite, he was still CIV's best performer with 2 goals.
Re: African Footballers That Never Won Apoty Award by Freiburger(m): 2:56pm On Mar 09, 2013
Jarus:
For every 1 defender, there are 5 forwards that have won it. That's my point. Never said a defender cannot win it.
That's true, but that's football for you.
Re: African Footballers That Never Won Apoty Award by Nobody: 2:59pm On Mar 09, 2013
I think 2013 is a huge opportunity for another Nigerian to win APotY award since 1999. No top African performer now. Eto'o and Drogba are out. Yaya is the major obstacle. If Mikel and Moses play well at Confederations cup, a Nigerian may clinch it.

2 Likes

Re: African Footballers That Never Won Apoty Award by Freiburger(m): 3:02pm On Mar 09, 2013
Jarus: I think 2013 is a huge opportunity for another Nigerian to win APotY award since 1999. No top African performer now. Eto'o and Drogba are out. Yaya is the major obstacle. If Mikel and Moses play well at Confederations cup, a Nigerian may clinch it.
I think a UEFA cup final appearance and maybe an FA cup victory for Victor Moses will get him the award.
Re: African Footballers That Never Won Apoty Award by jhydebaba(m): 3:05pm On Mar 09, 2013
femi4: AFCON winner 94
Olympic gold medalist 96
African footballer of d year 98 (BBC)
What else do u want?
added to this, he won the golden boot at the 2004 nations cup, scored the 1000th goal of the cup of nations. I wonder why he was robbed in 2004 .
Re: African Footballers That Never Won Apoty Award by Lero15(m): 3:09pm On Mar 09, 2013
Jarus: Observation: all but Benni McCarthy are midfielders and defenders.

Also, all the winners from 1993 to date are strikers/forwards (Yekini 93, Weah 95, Kanu 96, Ikpeba 97, Kanu 99, Mboma 2000, Diouf 2001, Diouf 2002, Eto'o 2003, 2004, 2005, 2010, Drogba 2006, Kanoute 2007, Adebayor 2008, Drogba 2009) , except Yaya Toure (2011, 2012) and probably Amuneke (94) and Hadji(98) who were attcking midfielders.

Telling us goals decide the game and people see you only if you score. A midfielder has to do 3 times more exceptionally a striker, a defender 5 times and a goal keeper 7 times before you can win award.
na true o. I think d best tin is to giv awards to best MF,best ST, best DEF,and best KP. BTW u sabi futbol wella o
Re: African Footballers That Never Won Apoty Award by Nobody: 3:10pm On Mar 09, 2013
jhydebaba: added to this, he won the golden boot at the 2004 nations cup, scored the 1000th goal of the cup of nations. I wonder why he was robbed in 2004 .

Go check the record of a certain Samuel Eto'o for that same year. He was 3rd best player in the world for that year.
Re: African Footballers That Never Won Apoty Award by Lero15(m): 3:13pm On Mar 09, 2013
yommys01: If we judge by that then Okocha should have won it in 2004 as he was hands down the best player in Africa that year. Got Bolton to the semis of the Carling cup ( now capital one cup ), disgraced Arsenal, Chelsea, United and even to some extend Liverpool. He was even top scorer at the Afcon that year.

However, like others, I blame his greed. I am one of those who strongly believe he had what it takes to be better than Zidane unfortunately he chose money. He would have been more talked about if he had joined United in 1998 when they wanted him ( when he was with Fenerbache and they beat United 1-0 at old tradfford ) or when Chelsea wanted him while he was at Bolton.

I am one of his greatest fans but he is a disgrace and a big disappointment.
so u mean man u & chelsea wd pay less to dat of bolton?
Re: African Footballers That Never Won Apoty Award by Akan(m): 3:18pm On Mar 09, 2013
The great Etim Esin is not on that list why. Or do u believe in that conspiracy against him?
Re: African Footballers That Never Won Apoty Award by chiefololade: 3:41pm On Mar 09, 2013
Soso990240: what wing does cannavaro play?
Is Cannavaro an African? Saka
Re: African Footballers That Never Won Apoty Award by chiefololade: 3:44pm On Mar 09, 2013
Jarus:

Go check the record of a certain Samuel Eto'o for that same year. He was 3rd best player in the world for that year.
Check ur facts well before posting it here, he was not on d shortlist in 2004. It was Ronaldinho, Henry and Shevchenko.. He got his name on d shortlist in 2005. Stop misleading people!

2 Likes

Re: African Footballers That Never Won Apoty Award by Soso990240(m): 4:05pm On Mar 09, 2013
chiefololade:
Is Cannavaro an African? Saka
sharap..he was sayin defenders and midfielders in general..read well b4 u conclude.
Re: African Footballers That Never Won Apoty Award by toprealman: 4:10pm On Mar 09, 2013
Rossikk:

Not sure what Benni McCarthy is doing on your list. Finidi, Fadiga and Essien were great players, but he didn't quite do enough to be named APOY.
Depends on what you class as a great player. That Benni guy was once a master in the game, I tell you now.

1 Like

Re: African Footballers That Never Won Apoty Award by MEILYN(m): 4:16pm On Mar 09, 2013
JideTheBlogger:

Jide u nd Chelsea eeehhh Leave my Chelsea Alone oo, talk abt ur Arsenal

Re: African Footballers That Never Won Apoty Award by Desdola(m): 4:19pm On Mar 09, 2013
Okocha's case is annoying to me. He did well to merit the award.
Re: African Footballers That Never Won Apoty Award by MEILYN(m): 4:25pm On Mar 09, 2013
1 shortblackboy: I suppose win am for 2001 o wen I score 360 goals for my street why my name no dey there enh ? undecided
is dis funny? Mtcheeewwww
Re: African Footballers That Never Won Apoty Award by chucky234(m): 4:25pm On Mar 09, 2013
Rossikk:

Not sure what Benni McCarthy is doing on your list. Finidi, Fadiga and Essien were great players, but he didn't quite do enough to be named APOY.
McCarthy was the reason why South Africa won the Nations cup in 1996 and was joint top scorer at Burkina Faso '98,he was also instrumental in Porto winning the Champions's league and scored in the final against Monaco as well as the semi final against Man U at Old Traford.
Re: African Footballers That Never Won Apoty Award by vandarsar(m): 4:43pm On Mar 09, 2013
Am very sure by the time you reread your comment you will be amazed as per how much you've disappointed yourself.

chukyrooy: I pray Mikel does not make that list...He has to work harder.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

U-17 AFCON: Eaglets Captain Fails MRI Test / Who Should Be In Goal For Nigeria Against Algeria: Akpeyi, Ezenwa Or Alampasu? / "It Was Difficult To Work With Conte" - Willian

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.