Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,523 members, 7,808,903 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:07 PM

Research:Men Talk Three Times Less Than Women! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Research:Men Talk Three Times Less Than Women! (1506 Views)

Why Do Men Get Re-Married More Than Women? / 7 Nigerian Men Talk About Being Stay-at-home Dads / To Forgive Is Divine: Men Talk Is Cheap! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Research:Men Talk Three Times Less Than Women! by waleadex(m): 3:53am On Mar 10, 2013
Researchers in the USA have found that a protein in the brain might explain why women are more talkative than men - three times more chatty, in fact. The research team at the University of Maryland say a "language protein" that goes by the name of Foxp2 is a lot more prevalent in women's brains. The protein was first discovered a decade ago and was deemed to be a key neurological component of speech. The scientists say it is a lot more abundant in girls than boys. They believe the protein is the reason why girls start speaking earlier and more quickly than boys. It also supports claims that women speak about 20,000 words a day, compared to just 7,000 words for the average man.

Research team leader professor Margaret McCarthy said: "This study is one of the first to report a sex difference in the expression of a language-associated protein in humans or animals." She added: "The findings raise the possibility that sex differences in brain and behaviour are more [widespread], and established earlier than previously [thought]." Other scientists have said there is more than one protein responsible for speech and that the research is in its infancy. Readers of Britain's Daily Mail newspaper offered some interesting insights into the chattiness of women. One said women have to talk more because, "men are not good listeners and women must repeat themselves to be heard"
Re: Research:Men Talk Three Times Less Than Women! by greatgod2012(f): 7:12am On Mar 10, 2013
Abeg, me i dont agree with this, some men are exceptionally extrovert, sanguines, infact, some men can talk their intestines out, abeg, i no believe this reseasrch, i believe it depends on your personality and temperament, enviroment and heredity, so no one can authoritatively say one gender talks more than d other gender, i bet to disagree.
May God help us all.

1 Like

Re: Research:Men Talk Three Times Less Than Women! by waleadex(m): 7:15am On Mar 10, 2013
greatgod2012: Abeg, me i dont agree with this, some men are exceptionally extrovert, sanguines, infact, some men can talk their intestines out, abeg, i no believe this reseasrch, i believe it depends on your personality and temperament, enviroment and heredity, so no one can authoritatively say one gender talks more than d other gender, i bet to disagree.
May God help us all.
Amen and thanks for registering your opinion.
Re: Research:Men Talk Three Times Less Than Women! by Nobody: 8:31am On Mar 10, 2013
Re: Research:Men Talk Three Times Less Than Women! by waleadex(m): 8:46am On Mar 10, 2013
chaircover: Women generally speaking talk more than men . . . .scratch that!!! There is no age boundary here!!! females speak more than males full stop, cos even girls speak more than boys. Its amazing to hear my My daughter talk . . Its yap yap yap non stop LOL but my son speaks once a week grin

There are some men though!!!!! Hmmmmmm My God!!!!! They can talk hen!!! I cant stand talkative men and there are quite a number of them here on NL. I love the mystery of a man, when he is staring forward and you are wondering what he is thinking.

I love the way I yap yap yap about everything and nothing especially when I am reporting someone/something to him or complaining about something and he only has 2 or 3 solid, meaningful but very heavy sentences to calm me down kiss
My sister you have indeed spoken well.I only decided not to argue with greatgod2012 on her opinion because that's what she feels.But on a serious note,it is hard to find 2 out of 15 men who talk 3times more than women.It's there for us to see.Perhaps,I may still need to be convinced otherwise on my opinion.
Re: Research:Men Talk Three Times Less Than Women! by jmoore(m): 10:32am On Mar 10, 2013
You don't even need a researcher to tell you this, it's obvious that men talk less than women.
Re: Research:Men Talk Three Times Less Than Women! by waleadex(m): 10:41am On Mar 10, 2013
jmoore: You don't even need a researcher to tell you this, it's obvious that men talk less than women.
Two thumbs up!!!
Re: Research:Men Talk Three Times Less Than Women! by Onyinyechimara(f): 12:06pm On Mar 10, 2013
chaircover: I love the mystery of a man, when he is staring forward and you are wondering what he is thinking. *

I love this about men too
Re: Research:Men Talk Three Times Less Than Women! by waleadex(m): 12:32pm On Mar 10, 2013
Onyinyechimara:

I love this about men too

grin
Re: Research:Men Talk Three Times Less Than Women! by Nobody: 1:19pm On Mar 10, 2013
waleadex: Researchers in the USA have found that a protein in the brain might explain why women are more talkative than men - three times more chatty, in fact. The research team at the University of Maryland say a "language protein" that goes by the name of Foxp2 is a lot more prevalent in women's brains. The protein was first discovered a decade ago and was deemed to be a key neurological component of speech. The scientists say it is a lot more abundant in girls than boys. They believe the protein is the reason why girls start speaking earlier and more quickly than boys. It also supports claims that women speak about 20,000 words a day, compared to just 7,000 words for the average man.

Research team leader professor Margaret McCarthy said: "This study is one of the first to report a sex difference in the expression of a language-associated protein in humans or animals." She added: "The findings raise the possibility that sex differences in brain and behaviour are more [widespread], and established earlier than previously [thought]." Other scientists have said there is more than one protein responsible for speech and that the research is in its infancy. Readers of Britain's Daily Mail newspaper offered some interesting insights into the chattiness of women. One said women have to talk more because, "men are not good listeners and women must repeat themselves to be heard"
Common who said men are not good listeners. Men pay attention to facts while women speak a lot of irrelevances. Its a talkative that won't even listener because he or she wants to talk and be heard no matter what so whatever is coming from the other end is a russ.
Re: Research:Men Talk Three Times Less Than Women! by greatgod2012(f): 1:56pm On Mar 10, 2013
waleadex:
My sister you have indeed spoken well.I only decided not to argue with greatgod2012 on her opinion because that's what she feels.But on a serious note,it is hard to find 2 out of 15 men who talk 3times more than women.It's there for us to see.Perhaps,I may still need to be convinced otherwise on my opinion.

my brother, no argument here, women talk more than men, but not applicable to everyone, some men are talkatives, they talk far more than men, and in my first post in this thread, i said it depends on some factors like personality, temprament, heredity and enviroment. For example, i have some pple around me that i can cite as examples of those who talks far more than their females counterparts.........first of all, i have only a girl, and she seems to be d most quiet among others, while d boys can almost kill me with different types of discussion, she always look at them and sometimes call them talkatives, shes very quite and wise, someone told me that her being wise is as a result of her quiteness.
Secondly, my elder brother, our firstborn.....chai, if that one go for competition of talkatives comprising only women, i bet it, no woman can get that prize, he fit talk, ehn, sometimes, we even try to avoid visiting him, because, he fit kill person with "ejo wewe"
thirdly, my boss.....chai, im yet to see a woman who can talk more than her, fortunately, im able to know d wife,,,,,,hhhm... She is as gentle as dove, i tell you, my oga, we dont live in his house, but i tell you, all of us know what happens in his house thru him, there is nothing he cant say, i have never seeing him sitting alone meditating, he must be in d midst of pple gisting everyday, to d extent that its even affecting his performance and effectiveness in our place of work. Let me stop here, now, op, no need to crucify me, my comment was based on some men i see around me.........and as for me.......i talk more than my hubby.....lol
May God help us all
Re: Research:Men Talk Three Times Less Than Women! by slimyem: 2:14pm On Mar 10, 2013
Why the need for the research when its already so obvious?
Generally speaking,women talk more..Its po po po po from morning till dawntongue.There's always something to yap about.
The few times men talk excessively are probably over green bottles.grin
Men who talk too much are not attractive.undecided
Re: Research:Men Talk Three Times Less Than Women! by waleadex(m): 2:19pm On Mar 10, 2013
greatgod2012:

my brother, no argument here, women talk more than men, but not applicable to everyone, some men are talkatives, they talk far more than men, and in my first post in this thread, i said it depends on some factors like personality, temprament, heredity and enviroment. For example, i have some pple around me that i can cite as examples of those who talks far more than their females counterparts.........first of all, i have only a girl, and she seems to be d most quiet among others, while d boys can almost kill me with different types of discussion, she always look at them and sometimes call them talkatives, shes very quite and wise, someone told me that her being wise is as a result of her quiteness.
Secondly, my elder brother, our firstborn.....chai, if that one go for competition of talkatives comprising only women, i bet it, no woman can get that prize, he fit talk, ehn, sometimes, we even try to avoid visiting him, because, he fit kill person with "ejo wewe"
thirdly, my boss.....chai, im yet to see a woman who can talk more than her, fortunately, im able to know d wife,,,,,,hhhm... She is as gentle as dove, i tell you, my oga, we dont live in his house, but i tell you, all of us know what happens in his house thru him, there is nothing he cant say, i have never seeing him sitting alone meditating, he must be in d midst of pple gisting everyday, to d extent that its even affecting his performance and effectiveness in our place of work. Let me stop here, now, op, no need to crucify me, my comment was based on some men i see around me.........and as for me.......i talk more than my hubby.....lol
May God help us all
I can't stop laughing of my sister.It's well!
Re: Research:Men Talk Three Times Less Than Women! by waleadex(m): 2:20pm On Mar 10, 2013
greatgod2012:

May God help us all
I can't stop laughing o my sister.It's well!
Re: Research:Men Talk Three Times Less Than Women! by waleadex(m): 2:21pm On Mar 10, 2013
slimyem: Why the need for the research when its already so obvious?
Generally speaking,women talk more..Its po po po po from morning till dawntongue.There's always something to yap about.
The few times men talk excessively are probably over green bottles.grin
Men who talk too much are not attractive.undecided
@ Slimyem,abeg no turn this thin to joke jare..... grin
Re: Research:Men Talk Three Times Less Than Women! by Nobody: 2:49pm On Mar 10, 2013
Women are parrots ..... cho cho cho.... But me I'm gentle o!

On a serious note and generally speaking, women talk way more than men , ofcourse we have few women that are introverts and rarely talk , but the percentage overrides the less talkative.

I don't know of it's just me but quite men are sexy and cute too. cool just one reply; okay baby whatever makes you happy. grin

Lets thank God for the gift of voice, you should see the number of people in speech therapy every day. I thank God o.... #murmursnonstop
Re: Research:Men Talk Three Times Less Than Women! by waleadex(m): 3:03pm On Mar 10, 2013
Honestly I am enjoying the comments from all the ladies in this thread.I wish this post makes it to the FRONT PAGE to get more fantanstic replies.
Re: Research:Men Talk Three Times Less Than Women! by sholay2011(m): 3:24pm On Mar 10, 2013
waleadex: Honestly I am enjoying the comments from all the ladies in this thread.I wish this post makes it to the FRONT PAGE to get more fantanstic replies.
And why should it make front page? When it's quite obvious (even though it's better than pictures of Tonto d.ick or latest calender of Chika Ike).

But I would still support greatgod dthat temperament plays its role. I'm quite Sanguine...and I talk quite well especially when advising somebody...and I talk sense!
Re: Research:Men Talk Three Times Less Than Women! by sholay2011(m): 3:24pm On Mar 10, 2013
waleadex: Honestly I am enjoying the comments from all the ladies in this thread.I wish this post makes it to the FRONT PAGE to get more fantanstic replies.
And why should it make front page? When it's quite obvious (even though it's better than pictures of Tonto dike or latest calender shoot of Chika Ike).

But I would still support greatgod dthat temperament plays its role. I'm quite Sanguine...and I talk quite well especially when advising somebody...and I talk sense!
Re: Research:Men Talk Three Times Less Than Women! by waleadex(m): 3:55pm On Mar 10, 2013
sholay2011:
And why should it make front page? When it's quite obvious (even though it's better than pictures of Tonto dike or latest calender shoot of Chika Ike).

It's alright Sholay2011
Re: Research:Men Talk Three Times Less Than Women! by Nobody: 11:02pm On Mar 10, 2013
sholay2011:

What makes u think what ever u say makes sense to the hearer? U might think u are talking sense, but doesn't seem that way to whoever u are talking to/with.

That is usually the problem with sanguines. They often take too many words to mean "sense". . .just saying. . .
Re: Research:Men Talk Three Times Less Than Women! by Joel3(m): 1:04am On Mar 11, 2013
Women and tory tory, amebor and tata phoo, i dislike women for dis, reason i'm very quite dude and we are not match. I hardly sees my match in women charaters. Infact I just hate them
Re: Research:Men Talk Three Times Less Than Women! by Nobody: 7:48am On Mar 11, 2013
^^^ talk to the hand!
Re: Research:Men Talk Three Times Less Than Women! by Joel3(m): 7:53am On Mar 11, 2013
bettymafy: ^^^ talk to the hand!
hope u weren't talking to me
Re: Research:Men Talk Three Times Less Than Women! by Nobody: 10:54am On Mar 11, 2013
Joel.:
hope u weren't talking to me

Whoelse?
Re: Research:Men Talk Three Times Less Than Women! by Joel3(m): 12:10pm On Mar 11, 2013
bettymafy:

Whoelse?
and why most i talk to your hands? Do you fink i will talk to you either? Not to talk of hand, you can talk to me azz

(1) (Reply)

10 Things To Do In 2015 / I Flogged My 8 Yr Old Son For Trekking To Chapel / He Beats Her Too Much!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.