Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,819 members, 7,802,626 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:43 PM

Dolphins FC Of Port-Harcourt Fan Thread - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Dolphins FC Of Port-Harcourt Fan Thread (4349 Views)

Dolphins FC Vs Kwara United (0 - 0) On 7th March 2015 / Eyimba Vs Dolphins FC Federation Cup Final ( 2 - 1) On 23rd November 2014 / Nigerian League Fan Thread: Enter D Place N Know Every (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dolphins FC Of Port-Harcourt Fan Thread by EzePromoe: 9:01am On Mar 11, 2013
As the passion for the Nigerian league by Nigerians grow. Many have now begin to identify with their various local club.
This is the official thread for Dolphins FC formerly known as "Eagle Cement."
In 2004-2005, they placed 6th in the Nigerian Premier League. Representing their country in the 2005 CAF Confederation Cup, they reached the finals, losing to Morocco's FAR Rabat. They play their home games at Liberation Stadium. However, for the 2008 Confederation Cup they played their games at U. J. Esuene Stadium in Calabar. They were relegated from the Nigerian Premier League in 2007 by one point. They however came back to retain the FA Cup over Enugu Rangers. In their run, they twice won by penalties 4-2, including a semifinal triumph over crosstown rivals Sharks F.C. before winning the finals 3-2 in penalties. They returned to the Premier League after winning their division in 2009. The club was known until 2001 as Eagle Cement.
Re: Dolphins FC Of Port-Harcourt Fan Thread by EzePromoe: 9:11am On Mar 11, 2013
Club's Profile

Full name: Dolphins Football Club

Founded: 1988 (As Eagle Cement)

Ground: Liberation Stadium
Port Harcourt , Nigeria
(capacity: 25,000)

Manager: Stanley Eguma

Coach: Ndubuisi Nduka

League: Nigeria Premier League

Logo

Re: Dolphins FC Of Port-Harcourt Fan Thread by dominique(f): 9:19am On Mar 11, 2013
... 6th in Nigerian Premier League. Representing
their country in the 2005 CAF
Confederation Cup, they reached the
finals, losing to Morocco's FAR Rabat.

Chai that loss pain me no be small embarassed. They were literally unbeaten throughout the entire tournament only to lose in the final like that angry (i think they drew 1-1 in Rabat undecided).
I like the team sha. They're next to Enyimba among the teams i support. Was rooting for their promotion when they got relegated some years back. But they fall hand in this year's CAF champs league. Can't remember remember the last time the last time a Nigerian team crashed out so early embarassed.
Re: Dolphins FC Of Port-Harcourt Fan Thread by EzePromoe: 9:22am On Mar 11, 2013
^That loss also pained me. They would have registered their names with the likes of Enyimba and Heartland as winners of the CAF confederation cup.

BTW, are you a fan of Dolphins?
Re: Dolphins FC Of Port-Harcourt Fan Thread by Afam4eva(m): 9:22am On Mar 11, 2013
Great thread.

Pls which of the the two teams(dolphins and sharks) does the Rivers state government support. I remember one of the teams complaining that the state governemt was only paying attention to one and ignoring the other.

Which Port-Harcourt divides do the two teams belong to and what part of the city does their fan base come from?
Re: Dolphins FC Of Port-Harcourt Fan Thread by Afam4eva(m): 9:24am On Mar 11, 2013
Eze Promoe: ^That loss also pained me. They would have registered their names with the likes of Enyimba and Heartland as winners of the CAF confederation cup.
There's nothing as annoying as a team reaching the final pf an event and losing. It's better not to even get to the final at all. The same thing happened to Rangers some years back when they lost the final of the FA club to Dolphins. That match pain me no be small.
Re: Dolphins FC Of Port-Harcourt Fan Thread by EzePromoe: 9:29am On Mar 11, 2013
Afam4eva: Great thread.

Pls which of the the two teams(dolphins and sharks) does the Rivers state government support. I remember one of the teams complaining that the state governemt was only paying attention to one and ignoring the other.

Which Port-Harcourt divides do the two teams belong to and what part of the city does their fan base come from in the city
Actually, the government are supporting the two clubs. But there was a time when Sharks FC went on strike complaining that the government favoured Dolphins FC than them.
It was somehow true but the fact was that Dolphins brought in trophies than Sharks, so the government looked the way of the most active sides.
Amaechi is currently building another stadium for Sharks in Igwuruta which is closer to the airport because Sharks were complaining that the stadium they're using is being shared with other activities done in Rivers state (ie the Civic Centre in Moscow Road)
Re: Dolphins FC Of Port-Harcourt Fan Thread by EzePromoe: 9:32am On Mar 11, 2013
Afam4eva:
There's nothing as annoying as a team reaching the final pf an event and losing. It's better not to even get to the final at all. The same thing happened to Rangers some years back when they lost the final of the FA club to Dolphins. That match pain me no be small.
I felt for Rangers especially last season after they lost the cup to Kano Pillars after their hardwork.
Re: Dolphins FC Of Port-Harcourt Fan Thread by Afam4eva(m): 9:34am On Mar 11, 2013
Eze Promoe:
I felt for Rangers especially last season after they lost the cup to Kano Pillars after their hardwork.
If you look at the last 10 years or so, you'll see that Rangers has always finished top 5 of the league almost every season but never win the league. It was annoying last year that we lost it to Kano pillars. What was most annoying was that Pillars won it in the board room just because of one Bayelsa team like that.
Re: Dolphins FC Of Port-Harcourt Fan Thread by EzePromoe: 9:39am On Mar 11, 2013
[size=16pt]Achievements[/size]

Nigerian Premier
League: 3

1997, 2004, 2011

Nigerian FA Cup: 4
2001, 2004, 2006, 2007

Professional Second
Division : 3

1994, 2002, 2008/09

CAF Confederation
Cup : 0

Finalist : 2005

Performance in CAF
competitions:

CAF Champions
League : 3
appearances

1998 - Group Stage
2005 - Second Round
2012 - First Round

CAF Confederation
Cup : 3 appearances

2005 - Finalist
2007 - Group Stage
2008 - Second Round

CAF Cup Winners' Cup:
1 appearance

2002 - First Round
Re: Dolphins FC Of Port-Harcourt Fan Thread by EzePromoe: 9:43am On Mar 11, 2013
Afam4eva:
If you look at the last 10 years or so, you'll see that Rangers has always finished top 5 of the league almost every season but never win the league. It was annoying last year that we lost it to Kano pillars. What was most annoying was that Pillars won it in the board room just because of one Bayelsa team like that.
I still don't understand how the board came to that conclusion. A league season is 38 matches for each team but in this case, it was only 36 matches played. I still don't understand.
Re: Dolphins FC Of Port-Harcourt Fan Thread by EzePromoe: 9:55am On Mar 11, 2013
[size=16pt]Players and their Positions[/size]

MF Chidi
Osuchukwu
GK Sunday
Rotimi
(captain)
DF Emma
Godwin
GK Udo Ochiogu
GK Owazuoke
Wobo
DF Hussain
Adaji
DF Abdulwasiu
Showemimo
DF Mike Simon
DF Dengo
Ebinipere
DF Echezona
Anyichi
DF Kennedy
Chinwo
DF Vincent
Babayaro
DF Joshua Igho
DF David
Obinna
MF Emma
Egbeta
MF Daddy
Maurice
MF Ebenezer
Ojo
MF Tochukwu
Okoli
MF Belemo
Yabrifa
MF Abduljalil
Ajagun
MF Kenneth
Anyanwu
MF Osita
Echendu

MF Owusu
Addai
MF Andy
Ogude
MF Sirajo
Ladan
MF Jonah
Abutu
MF Mustapha
Sesay
MF Victor
Ezuruike
MF Olewezi
Johnson
MF Ifeanyi
Egwim
MF Victor
Michael
MF Isiaka
Olawale
FW Fyneface
Onengiye
FW Delight
Okey
Darlington
FW Boris Konan
FW Hassan
Hussein
FW Saidu Abuu
FW Adamu
Mohammed
FW Miyudeen
Oyewole
FW Derrick
Amadi
FW Omoh
Ojabu
FW Fred
Okpalla
FW Emmanuel
Nwachi
Re: Dolphins FC Of Port-Harcourt Fan Thread by dominique(f): 12:10pm On Mar 11, 2013
Eze Promoe: ^That loss also pained me. They would have registered their names with the likes of Enyimba and Heartland as winners of the CAF confederation cup.

They're the second team I support after enyimba. When did heartland win CAF confeds cup? When they were still iwuanyiawu nationale I suppose.
Re: Dolphins FC Of Port-Harcourt Fan Thread by dominique(f): 12:51pm On Mar 11, 2013

Re: Dolphins FC Of Port-Harcourt Fan Thread by EzePromoe: 3:28pm On Mar 11, 2013
dominique:

They're the second team I support after enyimba. When did heartland win CAF confeds cup? When they were still iwuanyiawu nationale I suppose.
Yea, that should be
Re: Dolphins FC Of Port-Harcourt Fan Thread by Nobody: 7:09pm On Mar 11, 2013
Eze Promoe:
Actually, the government are supporting the two clubs. But there was a time when Sharks FC went on strike complaining that the government favoured Dolphins FC than them.
It was somehow true but the fact was that Dolphins brought in trophies than Sharks, so the government looked the way of the most active sides.
Amaechi is currently building another stadium for Sharks in Igwuruta which is closer to the airport because Sharks were complaining that the stadium they're using is being shared with other activities done in Rivers state (ie the Civic Centre in Moscow Road)

That's good. Do u by any chance have the render for the new Sharks stadium?
Re: Dolphins FC Of Port-Harcourt Fan Thread by EzePromoe: 7:34pm On Mar 11, 2013
CFCfan:

That's good. Do u by any chance have the render for the new Sharks stadium?
I'll try and get that tomorrow but its a very beautiful one with modern facilities, and the good thing is that, its located in my maternal town, while Liberation Stadium (Dolphins home ground) is located in the town where I currently reside. That is why I can visit watch any match hosted in PH.
Re: Dolphins FC Of Port-Harcourt Fan Thread by Nobody: 7:37pm On Mar 11, 2013
Eze Promoe:
I'll try and get that tomorrow but its a very beautiful one with modern facilities, and the good thing is that, its located in my maternal town, while Liberation Stadium (Dolphins home ground) is located in the town where I currently reside. That is why I can visit watch any match hosted in PH.

Okay. I just wonder though, if the Rivers State ownership of 2 teams might lead to accusations of match-fixing, whenever they clash in Port Harcourt. For instance I don't see how Abramovich will be allowed to own both Chelsea FC and Tottenham.

Maybe the NPFL board would have to look into that.
Re: Dolphins FC Of Port-Harcourt Fan Thread by EzePromoe: 7:38pm On Mar 11, 2013
Though I also watch some of Dolphins away game, e.g with Enyimba, Heartland, Akwa and sometimes with Rangers and Bayelsa clubs.
Any away match with Kano pillars, El-Kanemi or Wikki tourists etc, my brother, count me out. Even some officials don't watch any match hosted in the North not to talk of a fan.
Re: Dolphins FC Of Port-Harcourt Fan Thread by EzePromoe: 7:42pm On Mar 11, 2013
CFCfan:

Okay. I just wonder though, if the Rivers State ownership of 2 teams might lead to accusations of match-fixing, whenever they clash in Port Harcourt. For instance I don't see how Abramovich will be allowed to own both Chelsea FC and Tottenham.

Maybe the NPFL board would have to look into that.
Actually Dolphins was formerly owned by Eagle Cement plc hence their former name, until the government took over.
BTW, I don't think there's anything the NPFL can do about this, unless they will want to sponsor one of the clubs which I don't see them doing.
Re: Dolphins FC Of Port-Harcourt Fan Thread by Ibime(m): 10:56pm On Mar 11, 2013
Afam4eva: Great thread.

Which Port-Harcourt divides do the two teams belong to and what part of the city does their fan base come from?

Sharks is Rivers State traditional team, run by our footballing son Adokiye Amaesimaka.

Things have been swinging Dolphins way in terms of political patronage recently because Dolphins is located more centrally in Elekiah an Ikwerre area in the centre of PH whilst Sharks is traditionally attended by and patronised by Okrika people in an intimidating area of town toward the South of the city!
Re: Dolphins FC Of Port-Harcourt Fan Thread by Nobody: 11:01pm On Mar 11, 2013
Ibime:

Sharks is Rivers State traditional team, run by our footballing son Adokiye Amaesimaka.

Things have been swinging Dolphins way in terms of political patronage recently because Dolphins is located more centrally in Elekiah an Ikwerre area in the centre of PH whilst Sharks is traditionally attended by and patronised by Okrika people in an intimidating area of town toward the South of the city!

Wow! That is surely going to build up a healthy cross-town rivalry between the clubs.
Re: Dolphins FC Of Port-Harcourt Fan Thread by Afam4eva(m): 11:03pm On Mar 11, 2013
Ibime:

This is actually what I wanted to hear. I knew there was a tribal divide between Dolphins and Sharks.
Re: Dolphins FC Of Port-Harcourt Fan Thread by EzePromoe: 8:56am On Mar 12, 2013
Ibime:

I tend to somehow disagree with you. Although its seen like as a tribal issue by people (mostly Kalabari/Okrikas), but I tell you that's not the real issue on ground.
Now tell me, if the new Sharks stadium project in airport road is completed, will it still be regarded as a tribal issue? Unless you're trying to tell me that Sharks will reject the new stadium because of its location in Ikwerre which I won't be surprised if it turns out that way.
Re: Dolphins FC Of Port-Harcourt Fan Thread by ow11(m): 11:20am On Mar 12, 2013
When Amaechi leaves office, Sharks will come back to Civic centre. Who will go to Igwuruta to go and watch Sharks play? I can't start patrolling from Borokiri to Igwuruta because of a game that is supposed to be in Civic centre!

Let him carry Dolphin and China Acheru to Igwuruta and leave Sharks in Town! Besides with the new upgrade, Sharks stadium can hold up to 10,000 fans which is good enough to NPL atmoshpere. When it grows, we can push yeye Dolphin aka Eagle Cement to Igwuruta and take over Elekahia stadium.

Whilst we are it, PLEASE KESHI, invite Sharks FC Right Back, Fortune Chukwudi to the Super Eagles! He will use his real age. . .Amiesimaka was only concerned about his age not his quality!
Re: Dolphins FC Of Port-Harcourt Fan Thread by EzePromoe: 12:18pm On Mar 12, 2013
ow11: When Amaechi leaves office, Sharks will come back to Civic centre. Who will go to Igwuruta to go and watch Sharks play? I can't start patrolling from Borokiri to Igwuruta because of a game that is supposed to be in Civic centre!

Let him carry Dolphin and China Acheru to Igwuruta and leave Sharks in Town! Besides with the new upgrade, Sharks stadium can hold up to 10,000 fans which is good enough to NPL atmoshpere. When it grows, we can push yeye Dolphin aka Eagle Cement to Igwuruta and take over Elekahia stadium.

Whilst we are it, PLEASE KESHI, invite Sharks FC Right Back, Fortune Chukwudi to the Super Eagles! He will use his real age. . .Amiesimaka was only concerned about his age not his quality!
How will you push the pride of PH from their ground to an interior location. Or don't you think we deserve something better than the trophyless Sharks? You're boasting of 10,000 capacity when we're talking of 25,000 capacity in Liberation. I would advice you guys to humbly accept the beautiful new stadium regardless of the location, besides it will be a bit advantage for your visitors not to suffer by transporting to the city but to trek down from the airport. The stadium is better than that school field.
Re: Dolphins FC Of Port-Harcourt Fan Thread by dominique(f): 12:18pm On Mar 12, 2013
Guys don't mind my slight off-topic but i cant help but ask, are all these areas you guys are listing based in Port Harcourt? Is there more to Rivers than PH?
seems like Dolphins is favoured by most of the locals. What swayed people towards their direction desipite the fact that sharks is the indigenous team?
Re: Dolphins FC Of Port-Harcourt Fan Thread by ow11(m): 1:08pm On Mar 12, 2013
quote author=Eze Promoe]
How will you push the pride of PH from their ground to an interior location. Or don't you think we deserve something better than the trophyless Sharks? You're boasting of 10,000 capacity when we're talking of 25,000 capacity in Liberation. I would advice you guys to humbly accept the beautiful new stadium regardless of the location, besides it will be a bit advantage for your visitors not to suffer by transporting to the city but to trek down from the airport. The stadium is better than that school field.[/quote]

So na Sharks deserve interior stadium? The Ikwerre fans of Dolphin can go to Igwuruta to support their beloved team. We want our Sharks to stay in town!

Sharks won the 1996 League on the field. Udoji united paid for the trophy and got disgraced the following season in the inaugural CAF Champions league. Can Dolphin even fill up civic centre? The only time Dolphin fills up any stadium is when Sharks are teaching Dolphin swimming lessons in Civic centre.

dominique: Guys don't mind my slight off-topic but i cant help but ask, are all these areas you guys are listing based in Port Harcourt? Is there more to Rivers than PH?
seems like Dolphins is favoured by most of the locals. What swayed people towards their direction desipite the fact that sharks is the indigenous team?

Towns outside PH do not really have football clubs and everyone used to support Sharks until Odili went to buy Eagle Cement FC. The Old players from RV state all played for Sharks Adokiye Amiesimaka, Finidi George, Imama Amapakabo, Richard Owubokiri, Furo Iyenemi, George Abbey and Taribo West. Dolphin(Eagle Cement) always bought players whilst Sharks used to play with PH groomed boys until recently. So NO, Locals do not favour Dolphin!
Re: Dolphins FC Of Port-Harcourt Fan Thread by EzePromoe: 1:48pm On Mar 12, 2013
ow11: So na Sharks deserve interior stadium? The Ikwerre fans of Dolphin can go to Igwuruta to support their beloved team. We want our Sharks to stay in town!
LMAO.......You don't expect a club that has done PH proud to go interior. Trophyless Sharks should respect their husbands and go to the interior. WTF?

Sharks won the 1996 League on the field. Udoji united paid for the trophy and got disgraced the following season in the inaugural CAF Champions league.

I can't believe people still give this kind of excuse. Please can you elaborate further how they paid for the cup. They bought points? I need explanations asap.

Can Dolphin even fill up civic centre? The only time Dolphin fills up any stadium is when Sharks are teaching Dolphin swimming lessons in Civic centre.

I'll just take that as a deliberate insult from you. Hope you didn't call that school field stadium?

Towns outside PH do not really have football clubs and everyone used to support Sharks until Odili went to buy Eagle Cement FC. The Old players from RV state all played for Sharks Adokiye Amiesimaka, Finidi George, Imama Amapakabo, Richard Owubokiri, Furo Iyenemi, George Abbey and Taribo West. Dolphin(Eagle Cement) always bought players whilst Sharks used to play with PH groomed boys until recently. So NO, Locals do not favour Dolphin!
Yet Dolphins is ahead of Sharks. That's the main thing.
Re: Dolphins FC Of Port-Harcourt Fan Thread by EzePromoe: 1:54pm On Mar 12, 2013
dominique: Guys don't mind my slight off-topic but i cant help but ask, are all these areas you guys are listing based in Port Harcourt? Is there more to Rivers than PH?
Yea, majority supports Dolphins. How will sane people support a non-productive club. It's only the Okrikas/Kalabaris who sees the club as their personal belonging that support the club. Hahahaha.
*in a louder voice*
TROPHYLESS SHARKS!
Re: Dolphins FC Of Port-Harcourt Fan Thread by Duru1(m): 2:03pm On Mar 13, 2013
Ibime:

The above post is very funny as it can be. Is Borokiri also the integral part of the intimidating area of the town toward the South of the city? Even the chap that runs the Sharks Football Club is not Ijo. Nonthelesss, I love my Okrika peeps.
Re: Dolphins FC Of Port-Harcourt Fan Thread by Duru1(m): 2:11pm On Mar 13, 2013
ow11: When Amaechi leaves office, Sharks will come back to Civic centre. Who will go to Igwuruta to go and watch Sharks play? I can't start patrolling from Borokiri to Igwuruta because of a game that is supposed to be in Civic centre!

When did Sharks Football Club of Port Harcourt become Ijo team? As it is now, It is more of Igbo\Ogoni team than Ijo. Origianlly, it has been Igbo team. Please do not take this seriously. It is just a banter.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria To Face Zimbabwe, Senegal In AFCON Warm Ups / 2014 CAF African Womens Draw: Nigeria in Group A / Arsene Wenger Fights Jose Mourinho: The Funniest Memes As The Internet Reaction

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.