Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,180 members, 7,807,573 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:28 PM

17 Ways To Be Happier At Work. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 17 Ways To Be Happier At Work. (12743 Views)

17 Ways To Make A New Year’s Resolution You’ll Actually Keep / 17 Ways To Know You Were Born To Be An Entrepreneur / 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

17 Ways To Be Happier At Work. by Closetoheart: 9:50am On Mar 11, 2013
I have discovered that most people are not happy at their work place, and the truth is that you cannot be 100% satisfied with your work and its environment. So, when I came across this article online, I decided to share it on this forum, I believe it will be of immense help. Enjoy!

1. Don't compare yourself to others.

Everybody, and I mean everybody, starts out in a different place and is headed on their own journey. You have NO idea where someone else's journey might lead them, so drawing comparisons is a complete waste of time.

2. Never obsess over things you cannot control.

While it's often important to know about other things--like the economy, the markets that you sell to, the actions that others might take, your focus should remain on what you actually control, which is 1) your own thoughts and 2) your own actions.

3. Know and keep your personal limits and boundaries.

While your job might sometimes seem like the most important thing in your world, you're killing a part of yourself if you let work situations push you into places that violate your privacy and your integrity.

4. Don't over commit yourself or your team.

It's great to be enthusiastic and willing to go the "extra mile," but making promises that you (or your team) can't reasonably keep is simply a way to create failure and disappointment.

5. Remember you get the same amount of time every day as everyone else.

You may feel you're short on time and that you need more of it, but the simple truth is that when the day started, you got your fair share: 24 hours. Nobody got any more than you did, so stop complaining.

6. Don't take yourself so seriously; nobody else does.

The ability to laugh at your foibles not only makes you happier as a person, it makes you more powerful, more influential and more attractive to others. If you can't laugh at yourself, everyone else will be laughing behind your back.

7. Daydream more rather than less.

The idea that daydreaming and working are mutually exclusive belongs back in the 20th century. It's when you let your thoughts wander that you're more likely to have the insights that will make you both unique and more competitive.

8. Don't bother with hate; it's not worth the effort.

Hate is an emotional parasite that eats away at your energy and health. If something is wrong with the world and you can change it, take action. If you can't take action, you're better off to forgive and forget.

9. Make peace with your past lest it create your future.

Focusing on past mistakes or wrongs inflicted on you is exactly like driving a car while looking in the rear view mirror. You'll keep heading in the same direction until you collide with something solid.

10. Don't try to "win" every argument.

Some battles aren't worth fighting, and many people are easier to handle when they think they've won the argument. What's important isn't "winning," but what you, and the other people involved, plan to do next.

11. Remember that nobody is in charge of your happiness except you.

While some work environments are inherently difficult, if you're consistently miserable it's your fault. You owe it to yourself and your coworkers to either find a job that makes you happy or make the best of the job you've got.

12. Smile and laugh more frequently.

Contrary to popular belief, smiling and laughter are not the RESULT of being happy; they're part of a cycle that both creates and reinforces happiness. Find reasons to smile. Never, ever suppress a laugh.

13. Don't waste precious energy on malice and gossip.

Before you tell a story about anybody else, or listen to such a story, ask yourself four questions: 1) Is it true? 2) Is it kind? 3) Is it necessary? and 4) Would I want somebody telling a similar story about me?

14. Don't worry what others think about you; it's none of your business.

You can't mind read and you don't have everyone else wired into a lie detector. Truly, you really have NO IDEA what anyone is REALLY thinking about you. It's a total waste of time and energy to try.

15. Remember that however bad (or good) a situation is, it will inevitably change.

The nature of the physical universe is change. Nothing remains the same; everything is, as the gurus say, transitory. Whether you're celebrating or mourning or something in between, this, too, will pass.

16. Trash everything in your work area that isn't useful or beautiful.

Think about it: you're going to spend about a third of your waking adult life at work. Why would you want to fill your work environment--and that part of your life--with objects that are useless and ugly?

17. Believe that the best is yet to come, no matter what.

When my grandmother was widowed in her 70s, she went back to college, traveled across Europe in youth hostels, and learned Japanese painting, among many other activities. The last thing she told me was: "You know, Geoffers, life begins at 90."

culled from: http://www.linkedin.com/groups/17-Ways-Be-Happier-Work-2642255.S.220154918?view=&gid=2642255&type=member&item=220154918&trk=eml-anet_dig-b_nd-pst_ttle-cn

16 Likes

Re: 17 Ways To Be Happier At Work. by doyexy: 10:34am On Mar 11, 2013
Very educative...moderator abeg take dis topic to d frontpage!!
Re: 17 Ways To Be Happier At Work. by PaulJohn1: 11:10am On Mar 11, 2013
Good write up
12. Smile and laugh more frequently.

Contrary to popular belief, smiling and laughter are not the RESULT of being happy; they're part of a cycle that both creates and reinforces happiness. Find reasons to smile. Never, ever suppress a laugh

^^
That's if you haven't been vexed at home or on your way to workplace. Especially the day you decided to use public transport in a place like Lagos grin

1 Like

Re: 17 Ways To Be Happier At Work. by UnknownMember: 9:29am On Mar 12, 2013
1 way to be happy at work is to become your own boss...

2 Likes

Re: 17 Ways To Be Happier At Work. by dulphines: 9:30am On Mar 12, 2013
ok
Re: 17 Ways To Be Happier At Work. by huninaija(f): 9:34am On Mar 12, 2013
I shall apply this.. Will be expecting my promotion OP wink

1 Like

Re: 17 Ways To Be Happier At Work. by Nobody: 9:34am On Mar 12, 2013
I HAVE 1. CONCENTRATE ON MONTHS END

2 Likes

Re: 17 Ways To Be Happier At Work. by Ijawboi(m): 9:36am On Mar 12, 2013
YANWs...
Re: 17 Ways To Be Happier At Work. by Nobody: 9:36am On Mar 12, 2013
So so interesting
Re: 17 Ways To Be Happier At Work. by gen2briz(m): 9:36am On Mar 12, 2013
NOTED
Re: 17 Ways To Be Happier At Work. by kaneazie(f): 9:39am On Mar 12, 2013
nice post esp no. 11
Re: 17 Ways To Be Happier At Work. by Nobody: 9:39am On Mar 12, 2013
Nice write-up sir, but my own boss always abuse someone even when your workingout your balls. I'v not been seeing eye to eye with him for 3wks now. You can never satisfy the Indian ape am working.

1 Like

Re: 17 Ways To Be Happier At Work. by Ijawboi(m): 9:40am On Mar 12, 2013
Ways to be happy at work:
1_ play with your pencils
2_ Daydream of your salary
Re: 17 Ways To Be Happier At Work. by AjanleKoko: 9:41am On Mar 12, 2013
chiover: Nice write-up sir, but my own boss always abuse someone even when your workingout your balls. I'v not been seeing eye to eye with him for 3wks now. You can never satisfy the Indian ape am working.

Take it as a challenge, and rise to the occasion.
A difficult boss is usually part of the terrain. Embrace the challenge, as it will help to break your current mental and physical boundaries.
Re: 17 Ways To Be Happier At Work. by justaqad(m): 9:41am On Mar 12, 2013
inspiring
Re: 17 Ways To Be Happier At Work. by doyexy: 9:42am On Mar 12, 2013
chiover: Nice write-up sir, but my own boss always abuse someone even when your workingout your balls. I'v not been seeing eye to eye with him for 3wks now. You can never satisfy the Indian ape am working.

Lol @ indian ape
Re: 17 Ways To Be Happier At Work. by blackbeau1(f): 9:44am On Mar 12, 2013
;DTry to do as little work as you can

2 Likes

Re: 17 Ways To Be Happier At Work. by Strokes: 9:45am On Mar 12, 2013
Dis is great
Re: 17 Ways To Be Happier At Work. by greatgod2012(f): 9:45am On Mar 12, 2013
Ijawboi: . YANWs ...

and you have to quote all this long article to write this your meaningless 5letter words, na wa for you o....

1 Like

Re: 17 Ways To Be Happier At Work. by doyexy: 9:46am On Mar 12, 2013
Dis life is all about risks and chalenges,,notin good comes easy,,but with God on our side coupled wit determination, perseverance and hard work, I believe that we will all make it..positivity (iwaju-iwaju)
Re: 17 Ways To Be Happier At Work. by greatgod2012(f): 9:48am On Mar 12, 2013
Nice tips.....op, thanks.
Re: 17 Ways To Be Happier At Work. by doyexy: 9:48am On Mar 12, 2013
greatgod2012:

and you have to quote all this long article to write this your meaningless 5letter words, na wa for you o....

No mind am jare
Re: 17 Ways To Be Happier At Work. by Burger01(m): 9:49am On Mar 12, 2013
The only way I could remain happier is to see $s rolling in on daily basis...
Re: 17 Ways To Be Happier At Work. by OkikiOluwa1(m): 9:54am On Mar 12, 2013
Lovely & informative.
3,8,14 noted. I v no biz with 10 & 13th.
Re: 17 Ways To Be Happier At Work. by Edoboy1(m): 9:58am On Mar 12, 2013
cool, GBAM....................
Re: 17 Ways To Be Happier At Work. by ogbonlowob: 9:59am On Mar 12, 2013
please, can someone kindly explain what the front page is. How do I get to the front page where this topic is? REGARD!
Re: 17 Ways To Be Happier At Work. by doyexy: 10:00am On Mar 12, 2013
Burger01: The only way I could remain happier is to see $s rolling in on daily basis...

Who no like money?
But at d end of d day, money wunt b a deciding factor again,,it will be, do I feel fulfilled doin this job? So let's all look beyond money
Re: 17 Ways To Be Happier At Work. by anitank(f): 10:06am On Mar 12, 2013
This came just when I needed it most...phew! Thanks op

I was almost going crazy with my stu-pid colleague's constant nags just because she's the supervisor...arrrggghh! I wonder why people who are already frustrated with their lives are given such positions angry angry
Re: 17 Ways To Be Happier At Work. by Costa2000(m): 10:09am On Mar 12, 2013
Nice one,interesting.
Re: 17 Ways To Be Happier At Work. by devour129: 10:09am On Mar 12, 2013
Unknown Member: 1 way to be happy at work is to become your own boss...
IT DOESN'T WORK IN EVERY CASE.AS AN EMPLOYEE,YOUR JOB IS TO COME TO WORK AND GO HOME AT A PARTICULAR AND GET PAID AT THE END OF THE MONTH,UNLIKE THE EMPLOYER THAT HAS TO COME UP WITH IDEAS AT EVERY POINT OF THE DAY TO MAKE HIS/HER COMPANY STAY STRONG.THE EMPLOYER I THE ONLY ONE THAT HAS TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO PROVIDE ELECTRICITY,FOOD,BONUSES,TRANSPORT, UNIFORMS,RENOVATE THE OFFICE ETC SO YOU CAN WORK IN A SAFE AND FRIENDLY ENVIRONMENT THERE BY PUSHING HIM TO STRESS AND DEPRESSION SO COUNT YOURSELF LUCKY YOUR JOB IS TO COME IN AND SIT ON YOUR ASS AND DO THE WORK YOU ARE PAID FOR.EMPLOYEES GET DAYS OFF WHILE EMPLOYER IS ALWAYS WORKING BOTH PHYSICALLY AND MENTALLY EVEN IF HE ISN'T THERE.

1 Like

Re: 17 Ways To Be Happier At Work. by Nobody: 10:12am On Mar 12, 2013
I already knew all of this sha. Thx sha lol

(1) (2) (Reply)

What You Sow Is What You Reap. / IGP Promotes 82,779 Junior Police Officers / Strategies In Passing GMAT, GRE, SHL And Other Employment Tests

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.