Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,892 members, 7,802,875 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:34 AM

2013/2014 PTDF Scholarships In Nigeria, UK & France - Education (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 2013/2014 PTDF Scholarships In Nigeria, UK & France (78751 Views)

2014 PTDF Overseas Masters Scholarship Result is out / University Of Ibadan Post Graduate 2013/2014 Discussion Thread / 2013/2014 PTDF Scholarship Scheme For Msc, Phd And Undergraduate Programmes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 2013/2014 PTDF Scholarships In Nigeria, UK & France by silouette: 9:55am On Jul 29, 2014
Hello, please was anyone here awarded the 2014/2015 PTDF Scholarship? Is the venue of the induction out?

Also if you applied to University College London have you been able to get a response? My course is Remote Sensing and we were only given UCL and Southampton to choose from. I applied to UCL but their admission response time is a long thing.

I have Brunel and Coventry admissions which are not part of the schools we're to choose from. Please nairalanders what do you suggest I do oh?

Thank you.
Re: 2013/2014 PTDF Scholarships In Nigeria, UK & France by catchdwind4rmkd(m): 10:52am On Jul 29, 2014
The Induction is 11th - 15th August as stated on their website.

The Venue for the induction will be released on 10th August on the website as stated there too.

You're advised to always visit the site for more information.

I don't know much about the courses and schools, but I'm sure all our questions will be answered during the induction.

However, some pals here have earlier said they contacted PTDF as well as past scholars who said you can always change your course, school or even defer your admission, just come to the induction with your admission offer letter for your course or choice of school, and others as your case may be.

You should be fine anyway, I'm sure PTDF will help with some of these knowing full well that they released the list a bit late, most schools have ended applications for September, 2014 entry.

My advice is that you get an admission offer for your choice of course and school, while awaiting the one from UCL. At least, should UCL not respond before the induction, you're still good to go.
Re: 2013/2014 PTDF Scholarships In Nigeria, UK & France by simonns(m): 4:20pm On Jul 30, 2014
Looking at the list, for courses which have one University option, am thinking will it be possible for over 20 Nigerian students to be in the same Msc class? A class with such wont have an international kick that most of these Uni's claim to provide by the diverse backgrounds of their students. It's reasonable for PTDF to accept offer letters from Universities not listed.
Re: 2013/2014 PTDF Scholarships In Nigeria, UK & France by silouette: 7:57pm On Jul 30, 2014
Thanks a lot for your very concise response catchdwind4rmkd and also simonns.

I will do as suggested smiley
Re: 2013/2014 PTDF Scholarships In Nigeria, UK & France by catchdwind4rmkd(m): 12:01am On Jul 31, 2014
Is there anyone here who is or knows someone who is going to MANCHESTER UNIVERSITY for REFINERY DESIGN AND OPERATION?

I am made to understand that the course name has been changed to ADVANCED PROCESS INTEGRATION AND DESIGN, which is more attractive than the refinery thing. I was skeptical about going to Manchester coz I felt the refinery course was restrictive, but with the new course name, one will have broader opportunities and application. However, I wish to be sure that others who applied for MSc REFINERY DESIGN AND OPERATION are in the same shoe as I as per change of course name. I hope PTDF is aware of this change? Maybe we should put a call through to them on this.

Days are counting on, and we still haven't created a solid network of scholars who will be attending the same course and/or school.

It will be nice to start the group work here, so that we can only improve on that once we get there.

I'm sure so many persons, like I, are still fighting with the course choice as well as the decision of leaving job for school; however, I advise you make up your mind early enough and start refocusing your mind from work to academics if you must excel in your academics, rather than spend the time deliberating on decisions, you can divert it into preparing yourself for the new challenge.

Trust me, you will have different views, and the more will be that you should keep your job and forget the MSc. But be very sure that your final decision is what you really want coz it's your future. I won't add to your worries by saying my view, but you should decide what you want early enough and move on.

Let's see if you have a worse case than mine:

I am a Chemical Engineering graduate (2009)
All my experience, from IT to date has been in the Petroleum Sector. I have about 2years 7months experience in Cementing, an operation that's part of the Well Drilling and Completions Operations.
I applied for this scholarship in 2013 when I had just about a year experience, and so was at more advantage with the selected course.
But today I feel like the course is no longer relevant to me.
And I wish to change it to Drilling and Well Engineering at RGU, and many have given me the hope that the change is possible.
Yet I still have to worry about the fact that this course change will limit me to just drilling operations and subject me to more of field work, and this was my fear initially with Refinery Design and Operation.
So, I ask myself, what kind of career do I really want? Do I really enjoy the kind of job I'm doing? What happens after study? Which course gives you more advantage in the market? ETC

I bet you have your various suggestions, advices, and opinions about this, but I must say I have heard plenty of those, and it came down to one fact; IT'S ALL ABOUT ME..........

So, you better make that decision yourself, so you don't go blaming people for advising you wrongly. However, listen to people's contribution and use them wisely to draw your conclusions.

In all, LET GOD ALMIGHTY HAVE HIS WAY.... For we no not what tomorrow may bear... All we know is that we'll meet an expected end...

2 Likes

Re: 2013/2014 PTDF Scholarships In Nigeria, UK & France by Napolitano14: 6:30am On Jul 31, 2014
Good one @catchdwind4rmkd. I am also for Manchester but to study Advanced control and system engineering. Although I just decided to change when the list came out. I sthdied Electrical (2008) and got job with energy company so I decided to study energy system but I have been sponsored by my org for master in an energy related course in nigeria. So I made up my to change to control so as to have experience in another area and more so that control is very marketable.
I have spent 4 years with my organisation and hoping I will get study leave with pay. The dilemma I am in now is that after receiving unsuccessful mail from nlng, a 2-month training message was received from my organisation which is to be done in Russia. And it starts September just like ptdf. Also I had been sponsored to USA for training by the same org although for two weeks. I am hoping they will grant me study leave with pay.
I need the contribution of my fellow scholars on this?
Also I always get to ptdf through the numbers given in the replied mail once u send mesaage to OSS_ptdf.gov.ng and the BB pin accepted my request just this morning. I implore everyone to use the numbers and the BB pin to get to them
Re: 2013/2014 PTDF Scholarships In Nigeria, UK & France by catchdwind4rmkd(m): 11:37am On Jul 31, 2014
@Napolitano14:

Now i feel like I'm sailing the same ship with someone, and I'm feeling a bit relieved.

Anyway, I think it's really hard to make a good decision in this scenario when you have something good doing.

Make up your mind on what future you want, and pray about it. I'm sure God will direct you.

Here's my view, God will not give you the scholarship if it's not His will or plan for you. So, be very careful about making the decision to forgo the scholarship for your job. Don't get me wrong, however, I'm not also saying you should forgo your job for MSc. It's a decision you must be careful about as this is vital to your future.

As for me, it has always been my deepest desire to further my study. So, I'll only be fighting for the choice of course. And I pray God grants my heart desires according to His own will, not mine. For my desires may lead me to condemnation if they're not in line with God's purpose for me.

1 Like

Re: 2013/2014 PTDF Scholarships In Nigeria, UK & France by Napolitano14: 1:14pm On Jul 31, 2014
@catchdwind4rmkd. I sincerely appreciate ur advice and respect ur decision. I view the scholarship as step to move forward in life. In as much that I worked hard to get the scholarship and I prayed and it was answered, I believe it is God's way to tell to proceed. More so that I have prayed that I get study leave with pay at work which I believe it is going to be answered. Thanks and let us keep the love in the house.

2 Likes

Re: 2013/2014 PTDF Scholarships In Nigeria, UK & France by catchdwind4rmkd(m): 5:08pm On Jul 31, 2014
I tap into your faith and grace bro!
I've never prayed in that line!!!
Thanks for the eye opener!
Now I'm also gonna pray for God to butter my bread by giving me a STUDY LEAVE WITH PAY!!!
He'll surely answer when we ask!!! He won't give us stone for bread, nor will He turn His face from His own!!!
Re: 2013/2014 PTDF Scholarships In Nigeria, UK & France by Stone123(m): 6:20pm On Jul 31, 2014
Please do anyone know when they intend to publish the PhD final selected list?
Re: 2013/2014 PTDF Scholarships In Nigeria, UK & France by manaja87: 7:17pm On Jul 31, 2014
Please can somebody give me ptdf's phone numbers and bb pin? Thank you. I really need to contact them. I do not know if it's possible to change my course of study.
Re: 2013/2014 PTDF Scholarships In Nigeria, UK & France by Napolitano14: 8:37pm On Jul 31, 2014
Here are the ptdf number and pin +234 8189745530 n +234 98 700 060 n 0703 033 2272 and 2A9BD423. Try to call after 12 pm. Meanwhile u can change ur course of study. Just get admission and present ur letter. I called them and I was told. Good luck
Re: 2013/2014 PTDF Scholarships In Nigeria, UK & France by manaja87: 8:54pm On Jul 31, 2014
Napolitano14: Here are the ptdf number and pin +234 8189745530 n +234 98 700 060 n 0703 033 2272 and 2A9BD423. Try to call after 12 pm. Meanwhile u can change ur course of study. Just get admission and present ur letter. I called them and I was told. Good luck
thanks so much! I'm very grateful.
Re: 2013/2014 PTDF Scholarships In Nigeria, UK & France by catchdwind4rmkd(m): 8:42am On Aug 01, 2014
Each time I see the comments that we can change course as verified by contact with PTDF, I feel very happy.
However, it just struck my mind to ask that:
This change of course we speak of here, does it apply to ONLY courses and universities listed for sponsorship on their website, or it also applies to other courses we choose to?
Because, truly, my interest is in DRILLING AND WELL ENGINEERING at ROBERT GORDON UNIVERSITY.
The university is listed, but the Course is not listed on their website, and I have an offer letter already from then.
Though, as a back up anyway, I've got offer for the awarded course from the awarded university.
Re: 2013/2014 PTDF Scholarships In Nigeria, UK & France by Ice2015: 10:49am On Aug 01, 2014
[quote author=Stone123]Please do anyone know when they intend to publish the PhD final selected list?[/quo

Nothing yet
Re: 2013/2014 PTDF Scholarships In Nigeria, UK & France by danayok: 12:35pm On Aug 01, 2014
Guys,
My case is somehow different.

I'm currently undergoing a subsea equipment design training in Uk.There's no way I can use the scholarship in this year.
I would love to defer but I don't know the procedure to follow.
I can't claim to PTDF that I was unable to secure admission because that will be a complete LIE.

I really need your advice especially from past scholars who have faced similar or the same situation.
God bless you!
Re: 2013/2014 PTDF Scholarships In Nigeria, UK & France by majestic8855: 12:44pm On Aug 01, 2014
Hello all,
Candid advice, i have got admision to manchester for reliability engineering nd asset mgt and from newcastle for offshore engr and crainfield for offshore tech with pipeline engineering.

I am a lady with petroleum engineering as first degree.

Which of these courses look viable in the long run, everything put together
Re: 2013/2014 PTDF Scholarships In Nigeria, UK & France by Pistacho: 12:44pm On Aug 01, 2014
Napolitano14: Here are the ptdf number and pin +234 8189745530 n +234 98 700 060 n 0703 033 2272 and 2A9BD423. Try to call after 12 pm. Meanwhile u can change ur course of study. Just get admission and present ur letter. I called them and I was told. Good luck

I have actually sent my admission letter to them but no reply yet from them( not even an automatic generated message), anybody with this issue?
Re: 2013/2014 PTDF Scholarships In Nigeria, UK & France by catchdwind4rmkd(m): 1:24pm On Aug 01, 2014
Pistacho:

I have actually sent my admission letter to them but no reply yet from them( not even an automatic generated message), anybody with this issue?

Same here pal.
Nothing from them.
Can't tell why
Re: 2013/2014 PTDF Scholarships In Nigeria, UK & France by catchdwind4rmkd(m): 1:39pm On Aug 01, 2014
majestic8855: Hello all,
Candid advice, i have got admision to manchester for reliability engineering nd asset mgt and from newcastle for offshore engr and crainfield for offshore tech with pipeline engineering.

I am a lady with petroleum engineering as first degree.

Which of these courses look viable in the long run, everything put together

Depends on what you want, the kind of career you're looking at.
You've got your first degree in a very good field, if not for the limitations offered PTDF as per course, it would have been nice to advance in MSc courses directly related Petroleum Engineering in Universities like Heriot Watt & RGU e.g. Petroleum Geosciences, Petroleum Engineering, Petroleum Production Engineering, Reservoir Engineering, Drilling Engineering, etc. Also, process and design courses will be nice for a petroleum engr.

However, you can make the best choice from your list by looking at the individual course contents, and choose the course that you can enjoy and excel in, not something you'll struggle to succeed in. Next, is the kind of job you'll take up after such a degree, is it a job you'll enjoy doing? Ask yourself, what do I need a masters for? Will the selected course help me achieve this purpose? Can I do the kind of jobs that graduates of this field do?

In the past, once you say you're a lady, one would readily suggest "reliability engineering nd asset mgt", but today, ladies have broken into the industry and are competing favourably with the guys. Thus, you're fine with all three options. So, keep the "I'm a lady" out of this. It's ALL about what type of career you dream of.

Best Wishes
Re: 2013/2014 PTDF Scholarships In Nigeria, UK & France by lazinc(m): 2:56pm On Aug 01, 2014
catchdwind4rmkd: Each time I see the comments that we can change course as verified by contact with PTDF, I feel very happy.
However, it just struck my mind to ask that:
This change of course we speak of here, does it apply to ONLY courses and universities listed for sponsorship on their website, or it also applies to other courses we choose to?
Because, truly, my interest is in DRILLING AND WELL ENGINEERING at ROBERT GORDON UNIVERSITY.
The university is listed, but the Course is not listed on their website, and I have an offer letter already from then.
Though, as a back up anyway, I've got offer for the awarded course from the awarded university.

Not necessary. I'd advise you go for a course that you have core strength in and a school with good reputation in that field. Schools here in the UK have specific areas of strength. Since the course is related to oil and gas you should be fine.

During my time, PTDF sent us a mail with specific school and course we should applied for but I ignored and went with the course and school I so desired, they gladly received it during the induction because there were so many potential scholars that came to the induction without admission letters/CAS statements for one reason or the other. That saved them the stress in following up with schools for offer letters/CAS statements.

I hope this helps.

2 Likes

Re: 2013/2014 PTDF Scholarships In Nigeria, UK & France by Nobody: 5:36pm On Aug 01, 2014
Re: 2013/2014 PTDF Scholarships In Nigeria, UK & France by lazinc(m): 6:03pm On Aug 01, 2014
SSGUniport: @Lazinc, Please What And What Was Done During Your Set's Induction?

Eat, sleep, wake up, watch TV and gist with friends. grin grin grin

That was on a lighter note. Some few presentations, enlightenment about life in the UK, do some documentation and then VISA application for those that have their CAS and other documents ready.

PTDF will take you guys to the consulate on convoy with some preferential treatments as 'big boys and girls' concern.

To be honest is one week of flexing, so make use of that opportunity to eat better food before coming over to the UK to eat rubbish cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: 2013/2014 PTDF Scholarships In Nigeria, UK & France by Nobody: 6:14pm On Aug 01, 2014
Re: 2013/2014 PTDF Scholarships In Nigeria, UK & France by catchdwind4rmkd(m): 7:34pm On Aug 01, 2014
lazinc:

Eat, sleep, wake up, watch TV and gist with friends. grin grin grin

That was on a lighter note. Some few presentations, enlightenment about life in the UK, do some documentation and then VISA application for those that have their CAS and other documents ready.

PTDF will take you guys to the consulate on convoy with some preferential treatments as 'big boys and girls' concern.

To be honest is one week of flexing, so make use of that opportunity to eat better food before coming over to the UK to eat rubbish cheesy cheesy cheesy

Considering the CAS, you talked about, how are we to get the CAS when we don't have proof of sponsorship yet. And most schools require you to either make a deposit or provide a proof of sponsorship.

Now, for those that haven't got a CAS and/or admission letter, what was their one week induction like?
Also, where was the location of the induction during your time? Since, you talked about consulate, I'm assuming it's Lagos. Which means I'll be making a redundant trip?! coz I'll be leaving Lagos for PH the week before the induction.
Re: 2013/2014 PTDF Scholarships In Nigeria, UK & France by Napolitano14: 7:42pm On Aug 01, 2014
When I contacted ptdf for my letter of award tegu replied with this message after intense pressure.
We have received your admission letter as shown by the auto response. Please visit our office in Abuja on any working day from 10am so that we can commence the processing of your sponsorship letter.
If u can make Abuja before induction fine but I want to believe it will be ready for collection after induction

1 Like

Re: 2013/2014 PTDF Scholarships In Nigeria, UK & France by Comsol: 8:33pm On Aug 01, 2014
Re: 2013/2014 PTDF Scholarships In Nigeria, UK & France by lazinc(m): 8:36pm On Aug 01, 2014
catchdwind4rmkd:

Considering the CAS, you talked about, how are we to get the CAS when we don't have proof of sponsorship yet. And most schools require you to either make a deposit or provide a proof of sponsorship.

Now, for those that haven't got a CAS and/or admission letter, what was their one week induction like?
Also, where was the location of the induction during your time? Since, you talked about consulate, I'm assuming it's Lagos. Which means I'll be making a redundant trip?! coz I'll be leaving Lagos for PH the week before the induction.

You guys have to be proactive, you don't have to wait till you get to Abuja before you can get proof of sponsorship. Get the page where the list of successful candidates was published on PTDF site, save it in pdf and send to the school you applied to as a proof. Indicate the number your name is and explain to them that the official letter isn't out yet. Most schools here in the UK know PTDF very well and they don't joke with them, because PTDF are heavily loaded with cash grin. Don't be surprise when you discover that in some courses in different schools, PTDF sponsored students are more than half in a class.

The induction will be in Abuja, and if you get there without CAS, you'll do everything everyone else does but you'll not be going to the embassy for visa processing. The visa application usually takes place during the last two days of the induction.

Although, during the induction, proof of sponsorship will be giving out for scholars to send to their various schools if they're in need of either admission letter, CAS or accommodation. You then follow them up with emails and phone calls. Phone calls are usually quicker and they'll respond immediately.

FYI, after the induction, while waiting for the visa to be ready make sure you all get your accommodation with proof ready otherwise PTDF would't book your flight and send you to the UK even if your course has started, reason being that they don't want their scholars to come over here and be stranded. Once you arrived here you're strictly on your own. I'm sure you all will be fine but make sure you play your part, be smart and brace up for the endless opportunities before you.

I wish you all best of luck.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2013/2014 PTDF Scholarships In Nigeria, UK & France by catchdwind4rmkd(m): 9:09pm On Aug 01, 2014
Guy, you're doing a great job here.
You've been really helpful.
Though you're getting me nervous all over with the VISA and ACCOMMODATION comments.
I have already done your advice about sending the list of successful candidates at the PTDF website.
Manchester accepted it easily like you said but that's because they saw the university name against my name on the list.
But RGU didn't accept it, they need an award letter which should be a confirmation that PTDf has accepted the request for change of course since the course I was applying for didn't even appear in the list of sponsored courses. And, I don't even wanna go far with Manchester coz I really don't prefer that.
I'm still trying to convince them to process and send me the CAS.
Re: 2013/2014 PTDF Scholarships In Nigeria, UK & France by catchdwind4rmkd(m): 9:15pm On Aug 01, 2014
Napolitano14: When I contacted ptdf for my letter of award tegu replied with this message after intense pressure.
We have received your admission letter as shown by the auto response. Please visit our office in Abuja on any working day from 10am so that we can commence the processing of your sponsorship letter.
If u can make Abuja before induction fine but I want to believe it will be ready for collection after induction

Nice one brother.
But I doubt most of us would have the time to go to Abuja for the award letter before the induction which is just about a week away.
For the instant response after sending your admission letter, I'm still wondering why I didn't receive the same. Was it that I sent it to the wrong mail? Is it not oss_msc@ptdf.gov.ng ?
Re: 2013/2014 PTDF Scholarships In Nigeria, UK & France by manaja87: 9:27pm On Aug 01, 2014
lazinc:

You guys have to be proactive, you don't have to wait till you get to Abuja before you can get proof of sponsorship. Get the page where the list of successful candidates was published on PTDF site, save it in pdf and send to the school you applied to as a proof. Indicate the number your name is and explain to them that the official letter isn't out yet. Most schools here in the UK know PTDF very well and they don't joke with them, because PTDF are heavily loaded with cash grin. Don't be surprise when you discover that in some courses in different schools, PTDF sponsored students are more than half in a class.

The induction will be in Abuja, and if you get there without CAS, you'll do everything everyone else does but you'll not be going to the embassy for visa processing. The visa application usually takes place during the last two days of the induction.

Although, during the induction, proof of sponsorship will be giving out for scholars to send to their various schools if they're in need of either admission letter, CAS or accommodation. You then follow them up with emails and phone calls. Phone calls are usually quicker and they'll respond immediately.

FYI, after the induction, while waiting for the visa to be ready make sure you all get your accommodation with proof ready otherwise PTDF would't book your flight and send you to the UK even if your course has started, reason being that they don't want their scholars to come over here and be stranded. Once you arrived here you're strictly on your own. I'm sure you all will be fine but make sure you play your part, be smart and brace up for the endless opportunities before you.

I wish you all best of luck.
Please how long does it take to process UK visa?
Re: 2013/2014 PTDF Scholarships In Nigeria, UK & France by catchdwind4rmkd(m): 11:35pm On Aug 01, 2014
manaja87:
Please how long does it take to process UK visa?

Priority Visa takes just 3days - 1week, which I'm sure will be what PTDF will use.

Normal Visa takes 2weeks to months depending on the available valid evidence and purpose of travel.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply)

An Inside Look At Lekki British School (pictures). / University Of Abuja Rusticates Cyprian Igwe For A Post He Made On WhatsApp Group / 2017/2018 NNPC/CHEVRON Scholarship Shortlisted Candidates Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.