Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,465 members, 7,808,655 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:59 PM

2013/2014 PTDF Scholarships In Nigeria, UK & France - Education (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 2013/2014 PTDF Scholarships In Nigeria, UK & France (78763 Views)

2014 PTDF Overseas Masters Scholarship Result is out / University Of Ibadan Post Graduate 2013/2014 Discussion Thread / 2013/2014 PTDF Scholarship Scheme For Msc, Phd And Undergraduate Programmes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 2013/2014 PTDF Scholarships In Nigeria, UK & France by DMainMan: 5:44pm On Dec 11, 2013
ignis:
Tired of ASUU?
How do you mean?

I am doin my Msc
Re: 2013/2014 PTDF Scholarships In Nigeria, UK & France by linton99: 6:02pm On Dec 11, 2013
Ok,so ur sure u got 20 out of 60,,hhmmmm u remember all d questions
Re: 2013/2014 PTDF Scholarships In Nigeria, UK & France by Frankolino(m): 6:12pm On Dec 11, 2013
DMainMan:

I am doin my Msc
@DMainMan, after weeks of jacking for the Unilag MSc entrance exams, ASUU and Fg decided to declare war! I don dey tire 4 dis country. My brother, u did well in applying for the test. Waiting for ASUU and Fg will only waist one's time. Goodluck bro!
Re: 2013/2014 PTDF Scholarships In Nigeria, UK & France by DMainMan: 6:14pm On Dec 11, 2013
linton99: Ok,so ur sure u got 20 out of 60,,hhmmmm u remember all d questions

Just joking na. But I almost cried for dat kind of silly mistake in dis exam. Technically, I was sure of 42 out of 60.

But I guessed d remaining 18 questions. I luckily got 6 and it remains 12.

So 42 + 6 - 12 = 36.

Dat is failure to me. Na only miracle fit make I win d scholarship sha especially if my state fellows fumble.

If not, na bye bye b dat
Re: 2013/2014 PTDF Scholarships In Nigeria, UK & France by DMainMan: 6:54pm On Dec 11, 2013
Frankolino: @DMainMan, after weeks of jacking for the Unilag MSc entrance exams, ASUU and Fg decided to declare war! I don dey tire 4 dis country. My brother, u did well in applying for the test. Waiting for ASUU and Fg will only waist one's time. Goodluck bro!

thanks man. Gud luck too
Re: 2013/2014 PTDF Scholarships In Nigeria, UK & France by linton99: 7:16pm On Dec 11, 2013
@mainman u got ur calculations wrong o,every question u fail will reduce mark frm d one u passed,dat is 42+6=48,then 48-12=36,36-12again=24!! dats wat it is!
Re: 2013/2014 PTDF Scholarships In Nigeria, UK & France by Frankolino(m): 7:28pm On Dec 11, 2013
linton99: @mainman u got ur calculations wrong o,every question u fail will reduce mark frm d one u passed,dat is 42+6=48,then 48-12=36,36-12again=24!! dats wat it is!
Mr. Linton99, DMainMan's calculations are correct. Ur permutations are wrong. Cross-check well and u'll see ur errors! Guys, Almighty God is in control. Let's forget d past and forge ahead. All Izz Well!!!
Re: 2013/2014 PTDF Scholarships In Nigeria, UK & France by linton99: 7:35pm On Dec 11, 2013
Na God hand we dey,I know am going 2 get d scholarship it wasn't dat bad smileyNa God hand we dey,I know am going 2 get d scholarship it wasn't dat bad
Re: 2013/2014 PTDF Scholarships In Nigeria, UK & France by ignis: 7:38pm On Dec 11, 2013
DMainMan:

I am doin my Msc
That's nice....
Re: 2013/2014 PTDF Scholarships In Nigeria, UK & France by ignis: 8:37pm On Dec 11, 2013
DMainMan:

Just joking na. But I almost cried for dat kind of silly mistake in dis exam. Technically, I was sure of 42 out of 60.

But I guessed d remaining 18 questions. I luckily got 6 and it remains 12.

So 42 + 6 - 12 = 36.

Dat is failure to me. Na only miracle fit make I win d scholarship sha especially if my state fellows fumble.

If not, na bye bye b dat

Guy, you really tried then.
Re: 2013/2014 PTDF Scholarships In Nigeria, UK & France by Nobody: 8:58pm On Dec 11, 2013
That's not how negative marking is applied.....That your procedure is too stringent.
Re: 2013/2014 PTDF Scholarships In Nigeria, UK & France by Frankolino(m): 9:55pm On Dec 11, 2013
Samoalfred: That's not how negative marking is applied.....That your procedure is too stringent.
@Samoalfred, Negative marking means loosing as many marks for an incorrect answer as you score for a correct answer. (If you miss 1, u loose 1 from ur already correct answers). It's highlighted here; ptdf.cinfores.com/examinstructions.htm
Re: 2013/2014 PTDF Scholarships In Nigeria, UK & France by linton99: 11:44pm On Dec 11, 2013
No mind people, I have told them dats hw negative marking is but they doubt me
Re: 2013/2014 PTDF Scholarships In Nigeria, UK & France by Savant(m): 1:46am On Dec 12, 2013
Linton99 is correct based on Naija style of calculating negative markings. In reality it makes no sense as one stands a chance of losing more marks than one could gain from answering a question.

For example, say each question had five options and there were five questions in all. A student that gets two answers wrong will eventually score just one out of five meaning he lost more marks-4, than he was able to get -3. This is preposterous but unfortunately that is the way it is computed. One is better off just leaving a question blank than making a spurious surmisal only to be wrong.

It's rubbish! A properly conducted negative marking scheme should be such that one only loses the probability of getting the question right. For example, in the above mentioned one should lose just 0.2 for failing a question. That way I'd have guessed five wrong answers to lose one mark.

My opinion. Not like it counts. And yes I wrote the test too.

God is in control.
Re: 2013/2014 PTDF Scholarships In Nigeria, UK & France by ignis: 7:48am On Dec 12, 2013
linton99: No mind people, I have told them dats hw negative marking is but they doubt me

Bro, That's not how negative marking is done. Please go through your calculation again, and you will discover Where you got it wrong. You subtracted twice.
Re: 2013/2014 PTDF Scholarships In Nigeria, UK & France by Frankolino(m): 8:33am On Dec 12, 2013
Please, enough with this negative marking thing and look to the future. Like I said earlier, God Almighty is in control. Gud AM to you guys!
Re: 2013/2014 PTDF Scholarships In Nigeria, UK & France by Carsonv(m): 8:38am On Dec 12, 2013
ignis:

Bro, That's not how negative marking is done. Please go through your calculation again, and you will discover Where you got it wrong. You subtracted twice.

That's exactly how negative marking is done. It's the subtraction of the probability to get the correct answer. If you've written SAT before you'll know. For a question with 4-multiple choice, you have a probability of 0.25 to get d answer so dats wats subtracted for every failed attempt at getting the answer.

But from ptdf instruction, I think its a whole number subtraction which is very wrong.
Re: 2013/2014 PTDF Scholarships In Nigeria, UK & France by Savant(m): 9:39am On Dec 12, 2013
^^
Yeah CarsonIV. Just like SAT. I also wrote IPS and my score was a top 15 one. But then the scores were skewed such that the average of the top scores was in the 40s and 50s out of 100. It is no rocket science to figure that the exams were negatively marked naija style. Yes, Naija style! Implying that one loses twice the number of wrong answers given. In DMainman's case he's going to lose 24 marks as against the 2.2 marks he should have lost (by rightly calculating the NM) considering the exams had 5 options.

That's is by the way. Like franklino said I also heard that section is divided by 2 afterwards. I fail to see the point. Thank God they're going to take 2 sets this time around.
Re: 2013/2014 PTDF Scholarships In Nigeria, UK & France by Nairalanda(m): 3:19pm On Dec 13, 2013
Savant: ^^
Yeah CarsonIV. Just like SAT. I also wrote IPS and my score was a top 15 one. But then the scores were skewed such that the average of the top scores was in the 40s and 50s out of 100. It is no rocket science to figure that the exams were negatively marked naija style. Yes, Naija style! Implying that one loses twice the number of wrong answers given. In DMainman's case he's going to lose 24 marks as against the 2.2 marks he should have lost (by rightly calculating the NM) considering the exams had 5 options.

That's is by the way. Like franklino said I also heard that section is divided by 2 afterwards. I fail to see the point. Thank God they're going to take 2 sets this time around.

I doubt there is anything like "Naija Style" in negative marking. Negative marking should ensure you get zero if you shade all options. Examiners decide how they want to penalise you. Some exams say, 2 marks for correct and -1 for wrong answers, etc etc. The www.pass1time style is to rank all scores equally but negative for wrong answers. For example, if a question has 6 options with 2 options correct. Both of the two correct options score you 100% (or 50% each). The remaining 4 wrong options score you -50% of (-12.5% for each wrong answer). Examiners sit and decide the best for their exams. Regardless of the way they mark, the same rules apply to all the candidates, and the best students would still top (ceteris paribus).
Re: 2013/2014 PTDF Scholarships In Nigeria, UK & France by Savant(m): 10:57pm On Dec 15, 2013
Permit me to paint you a scenario. You're given a multiple choice based exam of 4 questions and 4 options in each. You answer 2 questions correctly and then randomly guess the other 2 which end up being wrong. Now by naijas method of NM such a student will score 0. This is unfair given that the student may have attempted the question rightly but just made a mistake thereby selecting the wrong option. juxtapose that with a situation where the student just loses 0.25 marks for each wrong answer given. Such a student will score 1.5 out of 4. I think it's a fairer reflection of his/her effort and SAT happens to agree with me.

It really doesn't matter though. You're right about them reserving the right to score it any which way they please. I'm favoured either ways.

1 Like

Re: 2013/2014 PTDF Scholarships In Nigeria, UK & France by DMainMan: 4:11pm On Dec 16, 2013
I think dere could b delay due to Pressid scholarship. Cinfores is in charge of d two schemes. De wouldnt want a candidate name to appear twice as some peeps did both exams. Dat is just an observation though. My two cent.
Re: 2013/2014 PTDF Scholarships In Nigeria, UK & France by ignis: 4:27pm On Dec 16, 2013
These cinfores people are confused and unorganized. A friend of mine that wrote @ Charms in Lagos told me that they where allowed to use the internet on the computer and even their mobile phones and other electronic devices to browse... Meanwhile @ RUT in PH, all theses priviledges where restricted.
This will definately lead to imbalance as some people are at advantage over the others.
Re: 2013/2014 PTDF Scholarships In Nigeria, UK & France by Frankolino(m): 5:07pm On Dec 16, 2013
@DMainMan, u do have a valid point. Let's wait and see what happens.
@Ignis dear, don't worry yourself. God Almighty is definitely in control, just be prayerful and faithful. Everything will be out in good time.
Re: 2013/2014 PTDF Scholarships In Nigeria, UK & France by Nobody: 6:35pm On Dec 16, 2013
Cinfores just score the test and hand over the results to their clients...So that any candidates that appears in both the Pressid and PTDF are lucky.Results are already available (Authentic source);Analysis is what takes time ;They analyse them to meet their criteria ;My source also said that the results are a top secret and hardly can anyone influence the results...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 2013/2014 PTDF Scholarships In Nigeria, UK & France by nmezi1: 8:37am On Dec 17, 2013
@ Samoalfred, maybe tomorrow in the future it will be impossible to influence the results, but in the present day Nigeria, my brother dont negate anything to be impossible for Nigerians. One way or another there will be external influences that will affect the final list of those who will get the scholarship whether the results be influenced or the name compilation. But all I know is I lean on grace to see me through. For it is not of him that willeth or of him that runneth but of the Lord who showeth mercy. So my brothers I wish u all the best. Keeping our fingers crossed.
Re: 2013/2014 PTDF Scholarships In Nigeria, UK & France by mrgwadex: 11:25am On Dec 19, 2013
Please, any information about OSS PhD
Re: 2013/2014 PTDF Scholarships In Nigeria, UK & France by Nobody: 11:52am On Dec 19, 2013
pls any info on the LSS for Undergraduates, almost everyone one here seems to be talking about the just written OSS Masters , those of us who applied for the undergraduate scholarship early this year have heard nothing from them, or are they focusing solely on the overseas post graduate scheme
Re: 2013/2014 PTDF Scholarships In Nigeria, UK & France by Olsey: 3:22pm On Dec 21, 2013
emk4lif: pls any info on the LSS for Undergraduates, almost everyone one here seems to be talking about the just written OSS Masters , those of us who applied for the undergraduate scholarship early this year have heard nothing from them, or are they focusing solely on the overseas post graduate scheme
PTDF is yet to screen LSS applicants.
Re: 2013/2014 PTDF Scholarships In Nigeria, UK & France by Nobody: 9:49pm On Dec 22, 2013
Olsey:
PTDF is yet to screen LSS applicants.
Any idea when they will begin,

1 Like

Re: 2013/2014 PTDF Scholarships In Nigeria, UK & France by Olsey: 1:12pm On Dec 24, 2013
emk4lif:
Any idea when they will begin,
First quarter of 2014, ceteris paribus
Re: 2013/2014 PTDF Scholarships In Nigeria, UK & France by Nobody: 7:52am On Dec 26, 2013
Olsey:
First quarter of 2014, ceteris paribus
Thanks
Re: 2013/2014 PTDF Scholarships In Nigeria, UK & France by Nobody: 11:20am On Jun 27, 2014

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (20) (Reply)

An Inside Look At Lekki British School (pictures). / University Of Abuja Rusticates Cyprian Igwe For A Post He Made On WhatsApp Group / How Catholic Seminarians Write Examination (picture)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.