Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,864 members, 7,798,879 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 11:40 AM

Glaucoma Will Cause Blindness In 11.2m People By 2020 – Optometrist - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Glaucoma Will Cause Blindness In 11.2m People By 2020 – Optometrist (11037 Views)

Epidemic Blindness In Yobe!! / Temporary Blindness: Causes, Prevention And Treatment / One Neurosurgeon In Africa For Every 1.2m People: Tutu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Glaucoma Will Cause Blindness In 11.2m People By 2020 – Optometrist by Enchanted1: 3:30pm On Mar 13, 2013
LADEMINUS:

Again u fall foul of common knowledge here, ophthalmology has no relationship with epidemiology, neither does optometry, however anyone with the facts at his disposal can make a sane claim (even you) and pls, even a nurse can diagnose glaucoma... What u r saying that an optometrist cannot diagnose glaucome is just like claiming that a doctor cannot diagnose cancer... In both cases of the clinician has the knowledge and instrumentation then he can make d diagnosis. In fact even a year 3 med student can confidently infer a serious cancer correctly!!

I didn't even bother replying to him (ACM10) because he clearly doesn't know what he is talking about. Where I live, the optometrist most certainly has the knowledge to make a diagnosis. Here, I needed a referral to see an ophthalmologist- a referral that is normally made by an optometrist. The optometrist is usually the first level of diagnosis- he or she will assess whether or not you should be referred to see an ophthalmologist. Besides my own case (glaucoma suspect diagnosis), I know another person whose glaucoma was caught by an optometrist. Thanks to the optometrist's knowledge, the little sight left was saved.

1 Like

Re: Glaucoma Will Cause Blindness In 11.2m People By 2020 – Optometrist by ACM10: 3:49pm On Mar 13, 2013
aijaydiva:
my dear! I'm not here to argue but to help create awareness. One thing abt glaucoma is that it has the chronic (primary open angle glaucoma) and the acute one(closed angle glaucoma) which is usually an emergency case. The former is d most common one and is usually the most hammered one because of its lack of symptoms. In dis case vision gradually reduces without the patient even noticing this reduction in vision until one day he notices that his extent of vision has drastically reduced. Most times its detected by the clinician in d course of examination of other eye problems or routine eye check up.
Regular check up is always the answer for early detection and management.

You are yet to answer my question. Gradual loss of vision is one of the symptoms of glaucoma. There are many others. Keep gradual visual loss by the side, how can someone make a diagnosis of glaucoma from the other signs and symptoms? Since you are not an optometrist, I wouldn't want to push you further. I would have loved to have this debate with an optometrist. But I will put a stop to it here.
The optometrist who referred you to an ophthalmologist is worthy of emulation. I salute his professionalism. How I wish other optometrist could copy him. Most will toy with the patient until the very end before referring to an ophthalmologist. Please follow the instructions of an ophthalmologist strictly. Be compliant with your check-up visits. All the best. cool
Re: Glaucoma Will Cause Blindness In 11.2m People By 2020 – Optometrist by Nobody: 5:04pm On Mar 13, 2013
The Doctor is jst seeking recognition.
Re: Glaucoma Will Cause Blindness In 11.2m People By 2020 – Optometrist by Cogent: 6:58pm On Mar 13, 2013
ACM10:

You are yet to answer my question. Gradual loss of vision is one of the symptoms of glaucoma. There are many others. Keep gradual visual loss by the side, how can someone make a diagnosis of glaucoma from the other signs and symptoms? Since you are not an optometrist, I wouldn't want to push you further. I would have loved to have this debate with an optometrist. But I will put a stop to it here.
The optometrist who referred you to an ophthalmologist is worthy of emulation. I salute his professionalism. How I wish other optometrist could copy him. Most will toy with the patient until the very end before referring to an ophthalmologist. Please follow the instructions of an ophthalmologist strictly. Be compliant with your check-up visits. All the best. cool

LMAO.
Something tells me you are an ophthalmologist grin

Abeg abeg abeg, ACM10, you can be a good ophthalmologist without trying to drag Optometrists' name through the mud kwanu? Medical practitioners need to stick together and work hand in hand in order to further the standard of healthcare in the country. No need for the unnecessary snubbing.

Your earlier statement that Optometrists cannot diagnose glaucoma was very wrong and instead of admitting it you tried to change the subject to a debate about glaucoma.

I just hope you are not feeding people wrong information like this in real life.
Re: Glaucoma Will Cause Blindness In 11.2m People By 2020 – Optometrist by ACM10: 7:57pm On Mar 13, 2013
Cogent:

LMAO.

Abeg abeg abeg, ACM10, you can be a good ophthalmologist without trying to drag Optometrists' name through the mud kwanu? Medical practitioners need to stick together and work hand in hand in order to further the standard of healthcare in the country. No need for the unnecessary snubbing.

Your earlier statement that Optometrists cannot diagnose glaucoma was very wrong and instead of admitting it you tried to change the subject to a debate about glaucoma.

I just hope you are not feeding people wrong information like this in real life.

No sir/madam! I am not an ophthalmologist and can never be one. I did not feed anyone wrong information. We are all working together for the good of our patients. It is in the best interest of our patients for the relationship to continue. Mind you that it is wrong for an optometrist to play doctor. embarassed
Re: Glaucoma Will Cause Blindness In 11.2m People By 2020 – Optometrist by Cogent: 9:12pm On Mar 13, 2013
ACM10:

No sir/madam! I am not an ophthalmologist and can never be one. I did not feed anyone wrong information.

So what exactly are you and what makes you think you can authoritatively declare that Optometrists cannot diagnose Glaucoma?

ACM10: Mind you that it is wrong for an optometrist to play doctor. embarassed

AN OPTOMETRIST IS A DOCTOR !
Are you deliberately trying to cause misunderstanding or are you truly this ignorant? I would advice you to google 'Optometrist' if you don't know what the profession is about.

An Optometrist is different from an Optician.
Maybe you are confusing one profession for the other. Google whatever you are not clear about. Stop spreading misinformation.
Re: Glaucoma Will Cause Blindness In 11.2m People By 2020 – Optometrist by Cogent: 9:17pm On Mar 13, 2013
In short let me place the information here because you might still come to this thread and insist that you are not spreading misinformation and that Optometrists are not Doctors.

From Wikipedia;
Optometry or Doctors of Optometry is a health care profession concerned with the health of the eyes and related structures, as well as vision, visual systems, and vision information processing in humans. Optometrists (also known as ophthalmic opticians outside the United States and Canada are trained to prescribe and fit lenses to improve vision, and to diagnose and treat various eye diseases. In the United States and Canada optometrists are Doctors of Optometry and are held to the same legal standards as any physician

Read more here ---> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optometry

1 Like

Re: Glaucoma Will Cause Blindness In 11.2m People By 2020 – Optometrist by ACM10: 9:44pm On Mar 13, 2013
Cogent:

So what exactly are you and what makes you think you can authoritatively declare that Optometrists cannot diagnose Glaucoma?
If you an an optometrist, permit me to debate you on how one can truly make a diagnosis of glaucoma.

AN OPTOMETRIST IS A DOCTOR !
Are you deliberately trying to cause misunderstanding or are you truly this ignorant? I would advice you to google 'Optometrist' if you don't know what the profession is about.

An Optometrist is different from an Optician.
Maybe you are confusing one profession for the other. Google whatever you are not clear about. Stop spreading misinformation.

Sir you are misinforming the general public with the bolded and I will not allow you to get away with it. An optometrist is not a medical doctor! If you did not bag an MBBS, then you are not a medical doctor. However an optometrist can attach Dr to his name after he has acquired a doctorate(Ph.D) degree in optometry. I decided to post an internet resource that could be of help to you in resolving your area of conflict.

Answer:
To answer this question, it is important to distinguish between an optometrist and an ophthalmologist as people often confuse the two. An ophthalmologist is a fully qualified medical doctor who focuses on the eye. An optometrist is not a medical doctor, but does receive several years of specialized training on the eye, prescribing prescription eyeglasses/contacts and diagnosing eye disorders.

Legally, an ophthalmologist can do everything an optometrist can do although in practice day-to-day eye care is typically left to optometrists while ophthalmologists focus more on surgery, prescribing medication and treating more complex eye conditions. Both are an important part of the US healthcare system.

As for whether an optometrist is "called doctor," it depends on the country. In most countries an optometrist is not addressed as "doctor," this title being reserved primarily for medical doctors and those with PhDs. Within the US, the profession has made a particular point about wanting to be addressed as "doctor" and it has become broadly accepted convention to refer to optometrists as such.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Are_optometrists_called_doctor
Re: Glaucoma Will Cause Blindness In 11.2m People By 2020 – Optometrist by ACM10: 10:04pm On Mar 13, 2013
Cogent: In short let me place the information here because you might still come to this thread and insist that you are not spreading misinformation and that Optometrists are not Doctors.

From Wikipedia;
Optometry or Doctors of Optometry is a health care profession concerned with the health of the eyes and related structures, as well as vision, visual systems, and vision information processing in humans. Optometrists (also known as ophthalmic opticians outside the United States and Canada are trained to prescribe and fit lenses to improve vision, and to diagnose and treat various eye diseases. In the United States and Canada optometrists are Doctors of Optometry and are held to the same legal standards as any physician

Read more here ---> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optometry

Seriously, since when has a wikipedia source ever been acceptable for reputable information? Physician/medical practitioner/medical doctor is concerned with maintaining or restoring human health through the study, diagnosis and treatment of disease and injury. This is accomplished through a detailed knowledge of anatomy, physiology, and pathology of which optometrists are insufficiently trained(in Nigeria). Please tell tell me about any institution in Nigeria that trains optometrists sufficiently in the above area.
You may be 110% confident that you are right about optometrists being "true physicians", that is your own wahala. I don't care what they call themselves. Does it really affect me personally? But we need to draw a dividing line between the two professions.
Re: Glaucoma Will Cause Blindness In 11.2m People By 2020 – Optometrist by aijaydiva(f): 10:15pm On Mar 13, 2013
@ACM10 what qualifies one as a doctor is not the course u studied but the number of years spent in d course of study. Those countries dat that dont license their optometrists as doctors do not spend d same no.of yrs as d doctors of optometry. Nobody here ever said optometrist are medical doctors. They cant be when dey didnt study medicine. They are doctors of optometry. Hence the O.D just like M.D for d medical graduates. Even a pharmacist cld be a doctor of pharmacy without Ph.d just by studying 4 6yrs instead of 5. So Monsieur, i guess u have to have respect for other professions. If everybody in Nigeria is like u, the interprofessional relationship in d health sector wld lead our country to nowhere. BTW optometry is my thing.
Re: Glaucoma Will Cause Blindness In 11.2m People By 2020 – Optometrist by ACM10: 10:24pm On Mar 13, 2013
aijaydiva: @ACM10 what qualifies one as a doctor is not the course u studied but the number of years spent in d course of study. Those countries dat that dont license their optometrists as doctors do not spend d same no.of yrs as d doctors of optometry. Nobody here ever said optometrist are medical doctors. They cant be when dey didnt study medicine. They are doctors of optometry. Hence the O.D just like M.D for d medical graduates. Even a pharmacist cld be a doctor of pharmacy without Ph.d just by studying 4 6yrs instead of 5. So Monsieur, i guess u have to have respect for other professions. If everybody in Nigeria is like u, the interprofessional relationship in d health sector wld lead our country to nowhere. BTW optometry is my thing.

I agree with you. They can be professors of optometry. But that does not give them the license to toy with people's eye or to exceed the area of competence.

@first bolded. . . lipsrsealed embarassed

@second bolded. . .now I know where you are coming from. But why did u shy away when I wanted to take you on glaucoma. grin
Re: Glaucoma Will Cause Blindness In 11.2m People By 2020 – Optometrist by aijaydiva(f): 10:41pm On Mar 13, 2013
ACM10:

I agree with you. They can be professors of optometry. But that does not give them the license to toy with people's eye or to exceed the area of competence.

@first bolded. . . lipsrsealed embarassed

@second bolded. . .now I know where you are coming from. But why did u shy away when I wanted to take you on glaucoma. grin
i didnt need to compete with anyone to prove a point
Re: Glaucoma Will Cause Blindness In 11.2m People By 2020 – Optometrist by Cogent: 10:52pm On Mar 13, 2013
ACM10:
If you an an optometrist, permit me to debate you on how one can truly make a diagnosis of glaucoma.
I am not interested in your debate. You can shove it.

Sir you are misinforming the general public with the bolded and I will not allow you to get away with it. An optometrist is not a medical doctor! If you did not bag an MBBS, then you are not a medical doctor. However an optometrist can attach Dr to his name after he has acquired a doctorate(Ph.D) degree in optometry. I decided to post an internet resource that could be of help to you in resolving your area of conflict.

ARE YOU BLIND? ? ?

WHERE DID I SAY THAT AN OPTOMETRIST IS A MEDICAL DOCTOR?

I NEVER SAID AN OPTOMETRIST IS A MEDICAL DOCTOR, STOP PUTTING WORDS IN MY MOUTH!!!

I NEVER SAID MEDICAL DOCTOR, GO AND REREAD WHAT I WROTE AND STOP PRETENDING YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT I WROTE BECAUSE YOU DON'T WANT TO ADMIT YOU ARE WRONG.

Dumbass.
Re: Glaucoma Will Cause Blindness In 11.2m People By 2020 – Optometrist by Cogent: 10:55pm On Mar 13, 2013
ACM10:
I agree with you.They can be professors of optometry. But that does not give them the license to toy with people's eye or to exceed the area of competence.

What the hell? They are Doctors of Optometry! When they go to the University and get an O.D degree which means 'Doctor of Optometry' degree, Then they become doctors, DOCTORS OF OPTOMETRY, NOT MEDICAL DOCTORS BUT EYE DOCTORS.

Optometrists are licensed to treat eye diseases, they are not toying with anything. Your ignorance is embarrassing, go bury your head in shame.
Re: Glaucoma Will Cause Blindness In 11.2m People By 2020 – Optometrist by ACM10: 11:12pm On Mar 13, 2013
Cogent:
I am not interested in your debate. You can shove it.

ARE YOU BLIND? ? ?

WHERE DID I SAY THAT AN OPTOMETRIST IS A MEDICAL DOCTOR?

I NEVER SAID AN OPTOMETRIST IS A MEDICAL DOCTOR, STOP PUTTING WORDS IN MY MOUTH!!!

I NEVER SAID MEDICAL DOCTOR, GO AND REREAD WHAT I WROTE AND STOP PRETENDING YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT I WROTE BECAUSE YOU DON'T WANT TO ADMIT YOU ARE WRONG.

I am a Dumbass.

Fixed! cool

I ignore this fo.ol and move on
Re: Glaucoma Will Cause Blindness In 11.2m People By 2020 – Optometrist by Cogent: 11:17pm On Mar 13, 2013
ACM10:

Fixed! cool

I ignore this fo.ol and move on

LOL grin

Next time make sure there is no enlightened person close by before attempting to denigrate Optometrists with your lies wink
Re: Glaucoma Will Cause Blindness In 11.2m People By 2020 – Optometrist by StateOfMind: 11:28pm On Mar 13, 2013
Otses: This is one scary disease. When I was misdiagnosed of it, I almost went crazy. As God would have it, I was certified okay after I went for the test. I stopped complaining of wearing glasses when the thought of blindness hit me. Indeed, you never know what you have until you lose it.

I was also misdiagnosed. I was using eyedrops and drugs for almost a year and when there was no improvement, I had to change my clinic.

The day I was re-diagnosed, I was very happy. I do have high intraocular pressure though, but not glaucoma and In as much as I hate using my glasses, I have become diligent with it so as to stop putting too much strain on my eyes.

I was told glaucoma could be hereditary, and since my late grandma had it before she died, infact she lost her left eye to glaucoma,it means I have a history already, so I don't miss my appointments for anything.
Re: Glaucoma Will Cause Blindness In 11.2m People By 2020 – Optometrist by StateOfMind: 11:34pm On Mar 13, 2013
aijaydiva:
there are three things that confirm the diagnosis of glaucoma, viz, the intraocular pressure (IOP), the individual's visual field and the appearance of the optic nerve head (optic disc). Someone having just high IOP doesnt indicate glaucoma but that patient could be a glaucoma suspect.

Thanks for this piece of information. Now I know why the doctor said I'm a glaucoma suspect. I have high intraocular pressure, but he said my visual field is okay. Dunno about the optic nerve disc one sha.

The eye clinic that misdiagnosed me initially just concluded I had glaucoma cos I had high IOP without considering the two other things you mentioned above.
Re: Glaucoma Will Cause Blindness In 11.2m People By 2020 – Optometrist by aijaydiva(f): 8:16am On Mar 14, 2013
StateOfMind:

Thanks for this piece of information. Now I know why the doctor said I'm a glaucoma suspect. I have high intraocular pressure, but he said my visual field is okay. Dunno about the optic nerve disc one sha.

The eye clinic that misdiagnosed me initially just concluded I had glaucoma cos I had high IOP without considering the two other things you mentioned above.
u r welcome
Re: Glaucoma Will Cause Blindness In 11.2m People By 2020 – Optometrist by LADEMINUS: 4:27pm On Mar 14, 2013
ACM10:

@ACM10? I am a qualified optometrist! Stop dat talk of needing a pHd to be called a dr, its just childish!! The degree so offered is Doctor of Optometry all over the world nowadays. I am proud and hv nothing to shy away from. I would have loved to take you on anytime about glaucoma and by so doing challenge myself and the house to learn more, however you and I can easily google up facts and paste here and no one will know who actually possesses the knowledge!
What bothers me however, is why you who claim not to be an ophthalmologist, nor have you indicated to be an MD, would seek to challenge a qualified proffessional. So unless you are one of the aforementioned, then all I can do is educate you and defray your fears #noinsultintended. So fire on anyway....
You must know that in the US, Canada, optometry ranks amongst the top three paying proffessions.. I don't need to show u a payslip. Google is free. And please nobody ascribes a degree or title to himself... The Medical Boards of Canada, USA, nd our own Nigeria etc... Decided in their wisdom that the knowledge garnered by these professionals is enough to earn them a clinical doctorate, hence they decided they will be doctors of optometry... You must truly believe you are wiser than these medical masters in the boards. The OSN (ophthalmology society of nigeria) in itself... Has an optometrist on its board and vice versa.. I wonder what u r really aiming at...

And for the house... Be it an ophthalmologist or optometrist glaucoma has NO cure!! I have seen several clients when heading health teams for various state govts in nigeria to be confident to tell you that the outcome of glaucoma surgery is terrible, most often the person still has to continue with the rigorous medications like prostanglandin derivatives, MOA inhibitors and the maleates etc so get checked regularly.
Pls check d following
www.aoa.org
www.aaopt.org
Notice the nigerian that won the Essilor international award for optometric contributions cheesy

1 Like

Re: Glaucoma Will Cause Blindness In 11.2m People By 2020 – Optometrist by LADEMINUS: 4:44pm On Mar 14, 2013
ACM10:

Are you serious with the comment that a 3rd year medical student can confidently infer a serious cancer correctly? tongue You must be having a laugh. I guess you are not in tune with the medical school curriculum. In case you don't know, epidemiology is a subsection of every medical field that can make diagnosis of infectious and non-infectious disease. I'm not here to denigrate the optometry profession. They are noble people. But I hate it when people exceeds their limit of competence. For instance, a woman died in our hospital 3 days ago from the complications of labour. She had a previous history of caesarean section during her 2nd delivery, but delivered vaginally in his 3rd pregnancy. Presented at the hospital for her 4th delivery. Unfortunately, the doctor was not around, so the labour was managed by a nurse. She went ahead to augment labour with oxytocin in a woman with signs of obstructed labour and with a previous history of caesarean section. Hmmm. . .ofcourse she had an uterine rupture and was rushed to our hospital. This is a case of a nurse playing doctor. Those little extra knowledge doctors have is what differentiates them from other health workers.

Rewind back to glaucoma. Tell me the criteria for making the diagnosis of glaucoma and how can you differentiate it from intraocular hypertension? I'm waiting. . .

Firstly sir, the word is 'infer' not diagnose, my point being that even the most simple of men can infer malaria by checking for the tell tale signs...
As you astutely stated already, clinical epid is a key pillar of optometric education, it is no coincidence that the NPPB and WHO work hand in hand with the WCO to battle preventable blindness of which uncorrected refractive errors ranks as the number one.
The differential btw ocular hypertension and glaucoma lies in the visual field charting, pressure alone will be defective cos we are having new cases a lot of NTG(normal tension glaucoma)... The characteristic 'dumbell' visual field loss in the charts coupled with the nasal step confirms the prescence of glaucomatous damage.
I must point out that as a clinician I personally do not even seek to manage glaucoma, it is not treatable, to I usually refer to the glaucoma specialists who would provide a constant follow up over the years. A good one in Nigeria is dr. Ashaye of UCH, someone am glad to have had very good proffesional rlshp with.
Re: Glaucoma Will Cause Blindness In 11.2m People By 2020 – Optometrist by Gracely1: 4:35pm On Oct 22, 2013
Hello nairalanders,i truly feel for you.There are also some very good supplememts that you could take to manage your Glaucoma.I am a nutritionist and i say ur diet matters alot even after taking all the drops and medications. Supplements deliver to u additional nutrients that could not cover in your meal.Well,incase you need more advice on what supplements and how to get them,you could contact me on 08123139100. I pray God helps you!
Re: Glaucoma Will Cause Blindness In 11.2m People By 2020 – Optometrist by originbm: 1:07pm On Sep 28, 2016
ACM10:

You were doing well until the bolded. I guess you did not read my comment well. Maybe you should put on your prescription lens, or better still, replace it with a high power lens. We are basically saying the same thing. There is no denying the fact that an optometrist operates at a primary eye care level, while an ophthalmologist operates at a tertiary eye care level. What I frowns at is a situation where an optometrist will make a bold claim that bothers on epidemiology. That area is an exclusive reserve of ophthalmologists. An optometrist cannot even make a diagnosis of glaucoma. So how can he jump to epidemiology when he cannot make the diagnosis of the disease in question? We should learn to separate the job of different cadres of health workers. No need to introduce this unnecessary confusion.

A moronic input from a dense brain. An optometrist cannot diagnose glaucoma?Use google. Or better still ask educated people.An optometrist cannot pontificate on the epidemiology of glaucoma?...It was an optometrist that gave the tv presentation for Glaucoma in edo state for 2016.If you dont know things, go read up in stead of blabbing nonsense.An optometrist is more than competent to diagnose any kind of glaucoma, treat and refer if a referral is needed.Especially in cases where proceedures like trabeculoplasty or iridectomy may save vision.
Re: Glaucoma Will Cause Blindness In 11.2m People By 2020 – Optometrist by originbm: 1:31pm On Sep 28, 2016
ACM10:

Now ACM or whatever you call yourself who are to come here and seek to compare your ignorant self with an optometrist in eye care.What do you know about eye care.Can u identify or differentiate between type1 or type 2 anomalous retinal correspondence? Can u differentiate btw symyptoms of a neuropathy and maculopathy...glaucoma detection is one of d cheapest diagnosis an optometrist can make...can u interprete a visual field result in a glaucoma work up? u think eye care is the 2 months rotation u do in ur opthalmology posting in ur mbbs final yr.U want to challenge someone who spent 6yrs studying vision and the eyes to a duel in ophthalmic care. Can u even handle a CRAO emergency? Can u detect an abnormal ophthalmic nerve head.Except u r an ophthalmologist, dont even talk about the eye where an optometrist is present.you are simply not qualified to do that.Can u differentiate between a mopic disc and a glauconatous disc using indirect ophthalmoscopy? And u come here to spew thrash...since you are a novice in eye care then maybe I shouldnt call u a doctor until you dpecialize in ophthalmology...keep ur arrogance and bring out wen u deal with other health care practitioners if they take it from you...but when you come to ophthalmic care, keep shut.
Re: Glaucoma Will Cause Blindness In 11.2m People By 2020 – Optometrist by originbm: 1:36pm On Sep 28, 2016
Cogent:

LMAO.

This guy cannot be an ophthalmologist...After 4yrs of residency and he still speaks like this...book then cannot cure ignorance if its true.
Re: Glaucoma Will Cause Blindness In 11.2m People By 2020 – Optometrist by originbm: 1:48pm On Sep 28, 2016
ACM10:

You are ignorant! Optometrist is equivalent to a radiographer, while an ophthalmologist is equivalent to a radiologist. Though an optometrist is trained in eye care, but his skills are limited. You wouldn't want an optometrist to toy with your eyes on the operating table.

A moronic input again...
An optometrist can
1.Independently diagnose
2.indpendently prescribe drugs
3.Independently treat with other modalities
4.Independently prescribe non pharmacological agents
5.Operate a full clinic.

Finishes a 6yr course of 275+ credit loads with a minimum of credit pass for all course,inclufing pathology.pharmacology, epidemiology, neuropathology, ocular pathology, public health, paediatric optometry etc. Fail ONE clinical course and repeat a yr.
If he is not qualified to be called a doctor who is? The average bsc holder accumulates an average of 160 credits....

Go and do your honework.Then come and talk again..
Re: Glaucoma Will Cause Blindness In 11.2m People By 2020 – Optometrist by originbm: 1:49pm On Sep 28, 2016
originbm:

A moronic input again...
An optometrist can
1.Independently diagnose
2.indpendently prescribe drugs
3.Independently treat with other modalities
4.Independently prescribe non pharmacological agents
5.Operate a full clinic.

Finishes a 6yr course of 275+ credit loads with a minimum of credit pass for all course,inclufing pathology.pharmacology, epidemiology, neuropathology, ocular pathology, public health, paediatric optometry etc. Fail ONE clinical course and repeat a yr.
If he is not qualified to be called a doctor who is? The average bsc holder accumulates an average of 160 credits....

Go and do your homework . Then come and talk again..
Re: Glaucoma Will Cause Blindness In 11.2m People By 2020 – Optometrist by DeRay98(m): 8:00pm On Feb 20, 2017
ACM10:

You were doing well until the bolded. I guess you did not read my comment well. Maybe you should put on your prescription lens, or better still, replace it with a high power lens. We are basically saying the same thing. There is no denying the fact that an optometrist operates at a primary eye care level, while an ophthalmologist operates at a tertiary eye care level. What I frowns at is a situation where an optometrist will make a bold claim that bothers on epidemiology. That area is an exclusive reserve of ophthalmologists. An optometrist cannot even make a diagnosis of glaucoma. So how can he jump to epidemiology when he cannot make the diagnosis of the disease in question? We should learn to separate the job of different cadres of health workers. No need to introduce this unnecessary confusion.

Everybody can read and see how stupid, arrogant and ignorant you are.
You're confused and full of yourself and bold enough to expose your stack ignorance here.
Re: Glaucoma Will Cause Blindness In 11.2m People By 2020 – Optometrist by akinbodma(m): 6:39pm On Nov 06, 2017
Am a glaucoma victim for the past 15 years , I have no choice than to continue my life like this, itz my destiny, living on drugs to reduced the pressure with no hope for cure, I discover so Many things about glaucoma lately, many ways to reduce the pressure without even using antidote
Re: Glaucoma Will Cause Blindness In 11.2m People By 2020 – Optometrist by PapiShanghai95: 10:52pm On Apr 06, 2019
Slankey:
Dr Echendu Damian, an Optometrist, says more than 11.2 million people will lose their ability to see properly by 2020 due to the effect of glaucoma worldwide.

Damian, who is the Chairman of the Nigerian Optometric Association, FCT Chapter, said this in Abuja on Monday on the sidelines of a walk organised by the Ophthalmological Society of Nigeria, as part of activities to mark the World Glaucoma Week.

According to him, already glaucoma had rendered 4.5 million blind gblobally.

He said that the walk was organised to create awareness on the menace of glaucoma and advised the public to ensure that it examined its eyes at least once a year.

“Glaucoma is the silent thief of sight. It’s a group of diseases that lead to damage to the optic nerve, the nerve that sends information to the brain, for one to see.

This latest research can cure your Glaucoma and reduce your eye pressure in just two days check here for free assessment and free PDF file in understanding the root cause of Glaucoma
https:///2G6rstbit.ly/2G6rst

“And it is estimated that globally, about 4.5 million people have been blind due to glaucoma; and it is also projected that by the year 2020 about 11. 2 million will lose their sight due to glaucoma.

“So, what we are doing today is to enlighten the public on this scourge and to let them know that it’s very important for them to go to an eye clinic and have their eyes examined at least once every year.

“Why we are saying this is because glaucoma is a condition that does not come with any sign or symptom.

“One can wake up one day and find out that he or she is not seeing. And by the time he or she gets to the hospital you find out that its glaucoma that has caused it.’’

The chairman said though glaucoma could not be treated, its progression could be slowed down to prevent blindness if diagnosed early.

“We are having free screening in all clinics and all the general hospitals in the FCT for glaucoma.

“So, from today (Monday) till Friday, members of the public have been invited to avail themselves of the opportunity to go to the eye clinics in town, go to the general hospitals in Kubwa, in Asokoro, in Wuse, in Maitama, in the State House Medical Centre, in Gwagwalada Specialist Hospital, in other private eye clinics in town and have their eyes screened for glaucoma for free.”

Damian, who said that there was no known cause of glaucoma, explained that some of the conditions that could encourage its emergence were increase in eye pressure, short sightedness and family history.

He said that glaucoma was more common in black people and people above the age of 40 years were also at risk.

“If you are above 40 years of age, it’s also expedient that you will have your eyes checked because it’s also common with advancing age.’’

NAN reports that members of the all the ophthalmological societies in the FCT participated in the walk.

The walk commenced from Berger through Wuse market carrying placards and distributing flyers, after which a health talk on glaucoma was given.

Some of the placards read: “190,000 Nigerians are diagnosed with glaucoma yearly’’; “Half the people with glaucoma do not know they have it’’; and “If you change your glasses frequently, get screened for glaucoma’’.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Boil Moringa Leaf And Akintola Leaf For Minites To Treat These Health Issues / COVID-19 Update For August 29 2021 In Nigeria / Evil Nurses & Doctors In Nigerian Public Hospitals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 129
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.